• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 848 Views, 28 Comments

One of a Kind - cpthitsugaya



Follow the life of a young Pegasus as he and his friends travel through the years before FiM

  • ...
5
 28
 848

First Birthday

--First Birthday--


It has been a year since Lightning was brought into the world of Equestria. In the time he spent with his parents, he learned to walk on all four legs almost perfectly, without falling or stumbling. However, before learning to walk, he spent the time alone at night learning to glide across from his crib to small pillows laid out over his room. To put it simple, he had learned to fly, before even knowing how to walk.

Lightning has moved up from small cushions, to the top of the crib when learning to glide, and now when he jumps, he spreads his wings out to get a bit more lift over free falling, thus coming to soft the landings. For weeks on end, he repeated these steps over and over, and eventually learned how to glide across the entire room. A true love for flight starts at birth, and for Lightning, well he is already two steps ahead of the group.

Although Mr and Mrs Chaser didn’t approve of the idea at first, they both know that one way or another he would have to learn eventually. Pegasi aren't much on big parties, except for special occasions. However, the Chasers preferred to celebrate occasions as a family, rather than with other fillies and colts. Storm and Sky had put Lightning in his spot at the table and given him his first birthday cake. With one quick glace, Lightning immediately buried his face in, giggling and licking the icing off his face. Although Storm had been gone for almost a week clearing weather by Manehatten, he had managed to get a week at home to be with his son.

“He is one special colt... So energized and ready to fly.”

“He must take after his dad!”

“Oh stop it Storm. You and your dangerous aerials.”

“Just you wait! once he's old enough i'll show him my private training area and truly see his abilities!”

“Oh, and you're going to show him how to fly like you did when you met me?”

She gave a light hearted chuckle as Storm blushed.

“Not exactly...”

They both chuckled and sat by their son as he quickly obliterated his cake. One might say, a kodak moment, but this is Equestria. There is no such thing. Just the Chasers being the Chasers.

Lightning’s eyes finally took their color around the navy inside. Deep navy blue, just like his mother’s, with his father's frosty white mane. Although unlike his mother and father, he had small navy bangs on each spike, giving him a "dipped" appearance. The abnormal thing however, is his wings were growing rapidly than a normal pegasi's wings would. Many doctors nicknamed him, "Lucky Wings," because usually only the luckiest of pegasi get the genetic privilege of having expanded wings. Usually, those who were born with that privledge, were sought after by mane stunt group recruiters. One of which included, the Wonderbolts.

Putting it frank, his larger wings had no affect on his mind at all. Rather than fantasizing about landing positions in famous stunt groups, he simply kept to gliding practice, and having fun flying on his own will, as well as making it easier for him to pick up on special techniques while gliding, giving him his first real senses of flying.

Scientifically, larger wings allowed for faster bursts of speed, or more powerful lifts on manuevering. It all depended on how the wings were shaped. Some wings are shaped in a delta shape, while others are formed in swept shapes. Usually those with the delta shape had the upper hand in maneuvering, while those with the swept shape had the advantage in flat out speed.

Lightning was chosen to be born with the swept-wing advantage.