• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 849 Views, 28 Comments

One of a Kind - cpthitsugaya



Follow the life of a young Pegasus as he and his friends travel through the years before FiM

  • ...
5
 28
 849

Impressing the Scouts

--Impressing the Scouts--


It has been about a week since the incident between Lunar, and Lightning. Sure, his parents and teachers were startled at first, but colts are colts after all. Although the injury no longer hurt, he still receive a lot of questions about pain or how it happened. He always answered the same; A flight accident. Rather, a crash from not pulling up fast enough. If he were to say what really happened, they might end up getting the other colts in trouble, and then a sequence of revenge would occur. It wasn't worth it. Flying around with a sprained arm however, was rather difficult. He had now way of thrusting both his arms forward for extra momentum, so he could get to speed as quickly as before. Instead, he could only have one arm in front of him when flying around.

Today, he was meeting Dash outside the bakery to hang out for a while. Usually, Lightning and Dash never got too much time to hang out, but today had worked out perfectly, so they figured "why not." When he came down to land, Dash was sitting at the table waiting for him.

“Hey bro, how's the arm?”

He then gave Lightning a hoof bump.

“It’s been better.”

They both laughed, and walked down the mane street of Cloudsdale. There were plenty of shops still damaged from the storm years ago, but nothing clearly visible. A fast recovery none the less.

Dash turned to Lightning, whom was flying right next to him, and said,

“So can you even walk?”

Lightning thought for a second, and answered,

“yeah, but not for a long time. I lose my balance easily.”

Dash nodded and told him,

“I think what you did for Lunar, was a great thing. Helping your friend when he was in trouble.”

Lightning turned to him and said,

“it was nothing, I didn't want him slamming into the ground. Besides, I angled it so neither of us would be hurt too bad.”

Dash nodded, as they walked into a stunt flight store. It was a large store, with many different flight costumes and specialized equipment for serious fliers. Lightning took a quick look at a few different flight suits. Although they seemed cool, he wasn't one to dress into a flight suit just because it claims to make flying more “aerodynamic.” Lightning was confident in his own skills.

Dash had brought over a small container labeled, “Wing Training Boost Powder.” Must be some sort of mixture to boost the strength of wing power during training. Again, only something that pegasi need if they feel inadequate.

“Dash, I dont much care for this place. Can we leave?”

He nodded and they both started toward the exit. However, a pegasus had walked the front door, and was wearing a tuxedo with a Wonderbolts pin on his lapel. He was scanning the store, as if he was on a mission to find, or retrieve something important. Dash turned to Lightning and said,

“who is that guy? Should we try to avoid him?”

“Yeah let’s try to sneak out of here...”

They very silently crawled around the stallion, and walked back out onto Mane Street.

“That guy looked strange... I wonder what he was looking for?”

Dash shrugged, and they keep moving down the street looking for another shop. Eventually, they stumbled upon a book store. Both Lightning and Dash loved reading, so instantly they went straight to it. Inside, it was a large building with books stacked to the ceiling.

“This building has a lot of stories.”

Lightning laughed at Dash’s bad pun, and shook his head.

“Oh wow. Really?”

He kept laughing as they walked down a few aisles of books. They were in the Equestrian Atlas section, and out of curiosity, Lightning pulled an Atlas down and studied it closely. Dash looked over his shoulder and examined it closely as well. It seems as though Ponyville wasn't marked on the map. Makes sense, since it is a relatively new settlement.

Lighting flew back up to where they found it, and put it back where it was shelved. He spotted a book of previous Wonderbolts on the top shelf.

“Spitfire would like this.”

He then carried it back down to Dash, while they opened it anxiously. As they studied the past Wonderbolts, and all their accomplishments, they couldn't help but “wow” at how fierce of fliers these Wonderbolts were, and what they went through to become a Wonderbolt. Being sucked into the book as they were, a large figure snuck up behind them, and leaned over to see the book as well. None other then the same stallion that came into the previous store.

“Previous Wonderbolts eh? Mind if i see?”

Lightning shook his head, and handed the book to the stallion. He chuckled a bit after examining it, and handed it back.

“Yeah we’ve had recruiting success for the whole time our organization has been operating."

Dash looked up, with a questionable look in his eyes.

“Who are you exactly?”

“My name is Stunt Seeker, and I work as a recruiter for the Wonderbolts. I've heard about you bud, Rumors have it you created some sort of shock wave of navy and white. My client Whiplash told me you seemed to be flying faster then sound itself.”

Dash nodded in confirmation and said,

“he is the fastest flier in Equestria!”

Lightning looked away out of the sudden attention. Seeker laughed a bit and looked at Lightning’s sling.

“Well it looks like you had a bit of an accident.”

He nodded and told him that it was just a flying accident.

“Well at least you’re determined enough to cause something like that."

Lightning nodded and grinned a bit.

“So, Lightning, would you like to join the Wonderbolts?”

Dash went wide eyed instantly, as he shot a look to Lightning. At the same time, Lightning’s heart jumped, as he too went wide eyed.

“U-uh...”

Seeker was patiently waiting a response, and they both knew it. Lightning swallowed his surprise, and looked him straight in the eyes.

“No sir, because I know somepony who would make a much better Wonderbolt then me.”

He raised an eye in surprised.

“Really now? Whom might that be?”

“Her name is Spitfire.”

Dash looked back at Lightning in utter shock.

“D-dude..”

The stallion nodded and asked,

“Do you know where i can find her?”

Lightning nodded and said,

“she likes to practice around her house a lot. We can take you there if you want.”

He nodded and said,

"I’ll be waiting outside for you two.” And he walked away.

Dash turned to Lightning again and stuttered,

“you just gave a chance at the Wonderbolts away!”

He nodded and replied,

"I don't want to be in the Wonderbolts. Even if I did, Spitfire does waaaay more than me. I think she deserves the chance more than I do.”

Dash nodded in agreement, and gave him a reassuring smile. They then both went outside to meet back with Seeker, whom was still waiting patiently for their arrival.

“Alright, just follow us and we can take you to Spitfire.”

He nodded and as Lightning and Dash flew off in the direction of her house.

“Do you think Spitfire will be ready to try to impress him?”

Lightning nodded and said,

“It’s Spitfire. She’s ready for everything. Especially the Wonderbolts."

After a bit of flying, they came to Spitfire’s house.

“I’ll wait over here.” Said Seeker.

As Dash walked, and Lightning flew up to her door, they knocked a few times. Spitfire’s mother, a yellow mare with orange eyes, and orange mane appeared.

“Hey fellas, looking for Spitfire?”

“Yes ma’am we think we can get her into the Wonderbolts today.”

She laughed in disbelief.

“Haha that’s adorable! Spitfire!” She called out.

“Yeah mom?”

“Your friends are at the door, sweetie.”

She had then made her way to the door and said,

“Hey guys, whats up?”

“Spitfire! Me and lightning just talked to one of the recruiters for the Wonderbolts!”

“Woah no way! Did you make it in?”

Lightning shook his head.

“I told him that I wanted you to join over me.”

Her face went into utter shock. Eyes wide open, she responded,

“r-REALLY!?” He nodded and smiled.

“He’s out here right now! Go show him your skills and he can give you a spot when you’re older!”

She squealed in excitement, as she gave them both a crushing hug. Any sort of pain his Lightning’s arm just came back in that instant.

Noticing his sudden pain, she quickly let go and said,

“Oh sorry Light, but thank you so much!”

He laughed and said,

“Yeah, No problem! But make sure you do you’re best, because this might be your one chance.”

She nodded with a confident look in her eyes.

“Of course!”

Both Lightning and Dash both agreed they haven’t seen Spitfire more happy then she was right now. Her dreams flashing right in front of her eyes.

Both Lightning, and Dash had sat down in front of Spit's house to watch the impending show. Spitfire had been talking to Seeker for a few minutes, and every once in a while, he smiled a bit, and rub his chin. They both shook hooves in some sort of agreement, and Spitfire was instantly airborne. Out of curiosity, Lightning, and Dash approached Seeker, and asked him,

“so what do you think?”

He looked up, watching the yellow blur perform her best stunts that both Dash, and Lightning both have never seen.

“She has very serious potential...”

In that moment, she performed an inverted loop, and a few barrel rolls to top it off. A very solid performance for impressing somepony.

“Alright. I’ve made up my mind.”

As Spitfire came back to a landing, seeker made his way over to give her the big news. They muttered back and forth for a bit of time, keeping Both Lightning, and Dash in serious suspense. Lightning saw her eyes stay at their average size, then at a point, noticed a tremendous spark flash in them. He must have accepted her into the Bolts. They shook hooves quickly and Seeker flew off towards town again. She walked over to Dash and Lightning as they were still wondering.

“So... what happened?”

She nodded and smiled wide.

“Really! That’s great!”

They both gave her a hug, and congratulated her on making it in.

“He said that in a few years after I graduate school, they would send one of the members over to come get me, and I would train for a year or two, but after that, I have a guaranteed spot!"

"That's awesome, Spits! Make sure you get us good tickets for your shows!"

She had laughed, as both Lightning and Dash gave her a hoof five and congratulated her again. Even though Lightning had turned up the chance to become a Wonderbolt, he didn't feel sad at all. After all, Spits was the true Wonderbolt. Not Lightning.