• Published 28th Jul 2021
  • 7,258 Views, 415 Comments

Outside Reality - The reluctant fan



After Twilight botches a spell, a new building suddenly makes its home in Ponyville.

  • ...
16
 415
 7,258

Chapter 7: Mother-Son Talk

Galen sighed. Working his phone was a lot more difficult with hooves. If it weren’t for SIRI he wouldn’t be able to use it at all. He thanked his past self for not putting a password on the device because that would lock him out in his current state.

He had been staring at the phone for longer than he could recall. Eventually he sighed and picked it up. “Siri, call mom.”

“Calling: Mom.”

The phone range couple of times before a voice was heard on the other end. “Galen? Are you alright? You haven’t contacted me since you sent me those drawings.”

“Would you believe me if I told you they were actual pictures I took?”

“What’s up with you? You’ve said a lot of weird things today, even for you. I know you must be stressed out, being so far away from home… spiritually anyway, but you’ve been acting very odd.”

Galen sighed. Here was the make or break part. “…look, can we do a FaceTime? It might show you just what kind of impossible situation I’m in. Not like the difficult impossible, but the this literally isn’t possible impossible.”

“I don’t see how a FaceTime is going to explain anything that you can’t just say.”

“Well I don’t think you’d believe me if I said ‘hey mom I’ve somehow been turned into a two foot tall green unicorn and thrust into a world that looks like something you’d see on Disney Junior.’”

“…Galen, did you get into the wine cabinet? I thought you knew better than that.”

“I can assure you I’m completely sober. Look, just… FaceTime okay?”

“…alright. Just give me a moment.”

Galen hung up and a second later got the notification for a FaceTime call. He took a deep breath and picked up.

“Uh… hey mom.”

“…Galen. This joke isn’t funny anymore. I’m going to give you three seconds to turn that filter off.”

“Mom… filters don’t work like that. They can’t straight up animate something like this. And even if they can…”

Galen knocked his front hooves together, eliciting a hollow clopping sound.

“I’m pretty sure they don’t change sound.”

“Then you’re using some sort of animation hack or something! There’s no way in hell that what I’m looking at is real!”

Galen picked up his phone and jumped up onto his desk. He held it out the window for his mother to see. The sun was just dipping below the horizon on a small village. Nearby, a gloomy forest loomed at the edge of the civilization. His mother could just make out other equines trotting or flying around the town.

“How do you explain this? You can clearly see my windowsill, and right outside it is this!”

“Bu-bu-I….”

There was a thud from his mother’s side of the line. Galen looked to see her phone staring up at the ceiling.

“She fainted. Never seen her do that before.”

There was shuffling, and the video on the phone adjusted to his mother’s face again. “Galen? Sorry I scared you. I just…what?! How? Are you sure this isn’t some super complex hack you’ve put on your phone?”

“Swear on my life.”

“…I need to sit down.”

His mother sat down in a chair and sighed. “We’re staying at your grandmother’s for now. I don’t know what happened to you and the house, but we’ll try and get you back as soon as we can.”

“I think that lays more on my end of things. I met some of the residents today. And by met I mean I caught them stalking me. One of them apparently brought me here on accident somehow and is trying to help me get back. I doubt there’s anything you can do from your end.”

“How did they ‘accidentally’ transport an entire building and its foundation so far away?!”

“They didn’t give me much of an explanation apart from a magical mishap. I kid you not, they believe magic is not only real, but an element of science.”

Galen’s mother’s eye twitched a little. “…magic, of course.”

Galen noticed the involuntary movement and decided to change subjects. “In other news, the power, water, WiFi and cell reception are still going strong somehow. I actually have a hunch about that, if you’ll help me out.”

“How am I supposed to do that?”

“Well, I was hoping you could drive back to where the house used to be and see if you can connect to the WiFi. If dad asks where you’re going make something up. I want to be able to talk to him about this myself.”

“…your father’s asleep. He’s done a lot of talking with the police today. They’ve been trying to figure out what’s going on. The news caught wind of this too, and he’s expected to be on for an interview tomorrow. Lord knows he tried to avoid it, but they wouldn’t stop pestering him until he accepted.”

“Great, the news. Make sure they don’t learn about anything beyond how the house is missing.”

“I don’t plan to. I’m grabbing the keys now. Before I go, I need to know. Is Sam there with you? Whenever your father wasn’t worrying over you he was worrying about that dog. For someone who didn’t want to get a pet he’s sure become attached.”

Galen gave a chuckle. “Yeah, I knew that would happen the day we got him.”

His mother sighed. “I don’t know how you’re so calm about this.”

“I got my freak out sessions over with earlier. Now I’m just accepting anything, whether it makes sense or not, and not much is making sense anymore.”

His mother shook her head. “I swear Galen, you’re the most adaptable person I know. I’ll call you back when I get there. I can’t go more than halfway down the driveway, there’s police tape blocking the rest off.”

“If I’m right about this it shouldn’t make a difference. Ill talk to you in a minute.”

Galen shut the FaceTime off and sighed. “Well she took that better than I thought. Now I just have to break the news to the rest of my family, and maybe my friends. Damn, this is going to be so humiliating, Jason’s never gonna let this go if I tell him.”

He looked out the window at the stars. He thought he saw something moving in the corner of the window and shrugged it off. Probably just another overly curious local. He had to admit, the night sky was a hell of a lot prettier than back home. Then again, with so much less light and air pollution, that was a given.

He stared out at the night sky for a couple more minutes before his phone rang. “Hey mom, what’s the news?”

“Your hunch was right! I’m connected to our WiFi! How is that pos—nevermind.”

“Yeah, I think we’re gonna have to revaluate what ‘possible’ is. In any case, that might explain how I still have power and internet. My guess is there’s some sort of connection between home and where I am. It’s too weak to see or go through, but the internet signal and electricity can still pass through.”

“That’s convenient for you. I know you’d probably go insane without those things.”

“I already had a mini mental breakdown when I realized I can’t play video games with hooves, I don’t know what I’d do without TV or music.”

“Further proof that you have an unhealthy addiction. No video games will be good for you.”

“I’ve been turned into a magical pony, and am in what is most likely another dimension, and you’re still on about that?”

“Yes. What kind of mother would I be if I wasn’t?”

“A sane one. Hey mom, I’m sure you probably want to go home and think about all this, so I’ll let you go. I’ll be fine, the locals here seem to be incredibly welcoming and friendly, if the six I met today are the norm.”

“Okay, make sure to call your father and grandmother tomorrow, they’re both worried sick.”

“I’m sure they are. I’ll talk to you later mom.”

Galen hung up the phone and got up into bed. He got under his covers before groaning and pulling the comforter off. “Great. Didn’t occur to me that fur would make me hotter. Well guess I’m ditching the comforter until it gets colder. Alexa, shuffle songs by Falkkone.”

Galen settled into bed. He knew it was odd that he could fall asleep to a genre of music that was literally called ‘intense symphonic metal’, but genre of music didn’t affect his sleep. Whether it was lo-fi or death metal, he’d fallen asleep to it before.


Lyra Heartstrings the unicorn was ecstatic. After years of being ridiculed by her peers and even her best friend, she finally had proof that humans were real! She had been walking home from the market when the element bearers had passed her by on their way home from their visit to the mysterious new building. She had overheard Pinkie Pie saying something about the resident’s ‘super awesome human tech’. Not only that, but Twilight was carrying a book that looked like it was about anatomy. The picture on the front looked a lot like her own sketches of humans!

Naturally she couldn’t leave this be. She went home to tell her housemate Bon-Bon that she would be out for a while and immediately went to the new house in town. She heard talking from the second floor so she cast a wall walking spell on herself and went to investigate. Inside the room she found a green unicorn stallion talking to a strange device. Upon closer investigation, it was a video of a human! What was the biggest shock to her was that the pony kept calling the human ‘mom’! Clearly this pony had been a human. With so much knowledge about her lifelong passion within hooves grasp, she was over the moon with excitement. The mint green unicorn climbed down and slunk home as night fell, determined to learn all she could from this human-turned pony the next day.