• Published 28th Jul 2021
  • 7,259 Views, 415 Comments

Outside Reality - The reluctant fan



After Twilight botches a spell, a new building suddenly makes its home in Ponyville.

  • ...
16
 415
 7,259

Chapter 5: Culture (And Diet) Shock

Twilight had calmed down, and the mares were staring inside the house.

"So... should we go in? He said that we could while he... processed."

Rainbow and Pinkie were already inside before Twilight finished her sentence. "...Well I guess that answers that. Come on girls, let's go in, but don't mess with anythin-"

"Hey, here's that stick thingy he was using to control the projector!" Pinkie held the remote up in her hoof and pressed the power button. The television flashed on, and the mares stared at it in wonder.

Fluttershy widened her eyes as she looked at the TV. "Oh! It's those creatures that we saw in the pictures upstairs! What are they doing?"

Twilight watched as the taller creature walked around with a smaller one, a smile on both of their faces. "From the sounds of things, it's an advertisement for some sort of medication. Although they're listing quite a few less than desirable side effects. Why would anypony buy that?"

"Perhaps it's their best option. Also, I wouldn't call them ponies darling. They are clearly some creature we haven't seen before."

Twilight gasped. "Do you think that Galen used to be one of these creatures?"

"With everything we've seen and heard, it would be hard to come to any other conclusion."

Twilight hopped up and down in excitement. "Oh, this is so exiting! An alien to Equestria and his house right in town! We could learn so much from him! W-well, after we smooth things over of course."

Rarity ran a hoof across the curtains. "I agree! I simply must know how this décor was so expertly crafted! Why, I don't even know what material that couch is made of."

Fluttershy squinted at one of the couch cushions and gasped in horror. "Um... I might..."


Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Pinkie Pie were walking, or in Dash's case, flying around the kitchen.

"Man, this place is huge! Whatever Galen used to be must be giant!"

"Yeah. none o this seems practical fer a pony ta use."

Pinkie bounced around a chair excitedly. "I think it's cool! It's like we're inside a giant's castle!"

Applejack walked up to a glass cabinet with a bunch of bottles and cans inside. "Huh, this is an odd icebox. Guess this is where they keep their drinks."

The farmpony opened the minifridge up and inspected the various cans and bottles. "...They're definitely labeled, but ah can't make heads er tails o these symbols! Could it be possible we got different written languages?"

Pinkie hopped over to a corner and opened a cabinet door. She gasped when she saw the inside.

"Flour, sugar, baking soda... EEEEEEEE! He has baking supplies! He must know so many recipies for sweets! Oh we'll have to exchange recipies so then we both know how to make more delicious treats!"

Rainbow flew over to the large white box that was up against one of the walls and grabbed the handle. The door opened and a cool breeze came out of it.

"Whoa! Look at all this stuff. I see lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, and a bunch of other stuff. Huh, no flowers though. Maybe he's allergic. Hey what's this red stuff?"

Applejack was inspecting one of the cans, trying to make out the symbols on it when she heard a call from Rainbow. "Hey AJ, do you know what this red squishy stuff is? I found it in The big icebox!"

Applejack looked at what Rainbow was holding and turned a little green. "D-Dash, that'..."


"Alexa, stop."

Galen sighed and hopped off of his bed. The pent up stress and anxiety had finally caught up with him, and finding out that he would be away from his friends and family for god knows how long hadn't helped. As such, he had cried silent tears on his bed while listening to Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The silent mourning had been relieving, and he felt better than he would have had he bottled it up.

The now-a-unicorn went back into the bathroom to do what he had forgotten to do when he woke up. He hopped back up onto the sink and brushed his teeth, which was more difficult with hooves. In doing so, he noticed something.

"Huh, my canines are gone. Well, whatever. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop eating meat. In fact I could really go for some jerky right about now. Once I get the mint taste out of my mouth anyway."

Next he grabbed a couple bottles of medication and dumped the pills onto the counter. "Thank god for anxiety meds. I probably would've gone batshit crazy without these."

Galen poured a glass of water from the sink and downed it with the meds. "Alright, I'm officially ready to face the day, and my new pony neighbors, apparently."

He exited the bathroom and climbed down the stairs. as he was reaching the bottom, he saw the six mares inside his living room giving him rather perturbed looks.

"Uhh... is something the matter? Let me guess, you turned the news on."

Rarity spoke up first. "Darling, Is your couch made of LEATHER?"

Rainbow walked up next to her. "And why do you have meat in your icebox! Are you a cannibal?!"

Galen gave Rainbow an unamused stare. "Okay, A) no, I'm not a cannibal, that shit's despicable. B) yeah, the couch is made of leather, and what you saw in my fridge was either chicken, pork or beef. I used to be an omnivore, and I don't plan on changing my diet, meat tastes too damn good. Although I should ask, are there any other intelligent species I should worry about? Don't wanna go eating anything sentient."

Applejack sputtered a moment before getting a grip. "Ys say ya eat beef and then say ya don't wanna eat anythin sentient, yer contradictin yerself!"

"...Ah. Cows are smart here? Damn. Before any of you freak out, cows are dumb farm animals where I come from. All they do is graze and wander."

Twilight frowned. "That's... odd. very odd. Um, anyhow, I'm sorry to break it to you Galen... but ponies can't really digest meat."

Fluttershy raised a hoof. "Um, actually Twilight, that's just a myth. Ponies can eat meat, it's just that we don't since it's considered taboo. Meat eating fell out of practice a long time ago, and after a while ponies just assumed they couldn't eat it"

The other mares stared in shock at their shy friend. "Fluttershy... how do you know about that?"

"Oh... well I've done a lot of reading on the diets of animals, and I stumbled on a book on the subject as a result. I will admit that mister bear has convinced me to try some fish, and a teensy bit of pork."

The mares kept staring at Fluttershy. "U-um... that's not too bad I hope, I just wanted to relate to my carnivore friends a little more... please don't be mad."

Applejack was the first to shake out of her stupor. "Sugarcube... we're not mad at ya, we're just surprised. We figured that since you love animals so much, ya'd be the most against meat eatin."

"W-well, I understand that some animals need meat to survive, so it's not too awful unfamiliar to me. If it's alright with you girls, I don't mind that Galen eats meat."

Pinkie jumped over and gave Fluttershy a hug. "Oh, that's so sweet! I'm okay with it too, I don't get it, but that's okay! It's like a pony not liking cake. I don't understand it, but it's their choice!"

Rarity gave a small cough. "Well, I may find it... horribly uncouth, but if your used to such a diet, I don't see why I should have a say."

Rainbow flew over and gave Galen a noogie. She laughed when he glared up at her. "Hey dude, it's cool. I was just caught off guard. I mean, I have a griffon friend who eats meat, so it's not too new to me.

Twilight gave an awkward smile. "Well, it was certainly an... unexpected development, but as long as you're not eating anything capable of advanced thought, it's fine. I... actually may want to experiment with that diet a little later myself, if what Fluttershy said is true."

Applejack gave Galen a hard stare. "Ya said that nothin ya eat is intelligent?"

Galen shook his head. "Not in the slightest."

"Well... As long as ya don't go after mah cows, we're fine. Ah just hope them animals didn't suffer."

"Oh no, the meat I eat is obtained in a very humane fashion. No suffering involved."

The mares tilted their heads at that.

"Humane, what's that mean?"

Galen rolled his eyes. "Humane, as in human. What I used to be before I got thrown into magical pony world?"

The six mares stared at Him bug eyed, before all of them blurted out the same sentence. "LYRA WAS RIGHT?!?!?!?!"