• Published 17th Aug 2021
  • 2,879 Views, 273 Comments

Flash Sentry, Defender of the Peace S7 - Banshee531



Flash and his friends return, trying to live their lives as peacefully as they can. But life if rarely so peaceful, as our heroes are about to find out.

  • ...
3
 273
 2,879

Reinforcements from the Future PT2

Manehatten was filled with excitement, the whole city abuzz with gossip about the four princesses being there, many hoping that maybe they could see them and get a picture. They knew they were staying at the Grand Hotel, the biggest hotel in Manehatten, which the Princesses along with their guests, would be staying during their treaty talks. The entire building had been booked up, and only those with the highest possible clearance could enter.

Inside the building, many royal guards were patrolling the corridors, including the Royal Knight of Water, Tidal Wave. The unicorn was striding up to the Great Hall, where the peace talks would take place. He walked in and saw two guards stand to attention as he approached. "At ease." They did so, "Make sure nopony without proper clearance makes it past these doors. On what I've heard, it seems things may get...arriesgado." They nodded as he walked past them.

And when he stepped inside, he was greeted to the sight of many important creatures all sitting around a circular table. There was Twilight, Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Dragon Lord Ember and Changeling King Thorax. These leaders all stood along with a few others, all advisers over the next few events. The advisers were Shining Armor, Spike the Dragon, Trixie Lulamoon, Hiveena and Flicker.

As he drew closer to the table, he heard Twilight speak up, "And that's the deal," she told Thorax and Ember. "Tragus won't stop until he tries to ruin this treaty meeting."

Thorax let out a sigh and shook his head, "That's a lot to take in. I mean, I'd heard that time travel was possible...but I never thought one of my future subjects would actually travel to the past. And to cause problems too." He slumped over, "I guess I fail to get my pack to change our ways..."

The ponies opened their mouths to respond, only for Hiveena to put a hoof on his shoulder, "It sounds to me like this Tragus is a rare outlier. Don't feel ashamed because one out of thousands of future changelings chose to turn away from the changes we're making."

"Indeed," Flicker nodded. "The fact that it's only one is a miracle." He turned to Ember, "We're expecting a lot more dragons than that to fight against our new way of life."

"Flicker and Hiveena are right," Celestia chimed in, "It is a sad truth, but one we all have to accept. No matter what, there will always be those that fight against the norm. It's impossible to please everypony. All you can try and do is what you think is right and hope that they'll one day see the truth of the matter."

Thorax glanced back up at this, seeing the firm expression on Celestia's face. The sight made him sigh again before nodding, "I...I guess you're right. But this whole situation still worries me."

"Well, it freaks me out," Ember barked, "Being able to travel through time and change things?! That's just not right! Heck, how do I know right now that I'm not living in an altered timeline! Maybe I'm not even supposed to be Dragon Lord, but it was made that way because some idiot decided to travel back and step on a bug or something."

"I think we've all wondered that," Cadance spoke up, "Honestly, it's enough to drive anypony insane, so its best not to think about it. Whether we got here through our own actions or the actions of another, what matters is we're here now, and we should make the most of what we can do."

Ember frowned at this, only for everypony to turn to a certain hoof tapping the table. It was Twilight, who then gestured to Spike to pull out her notes as she said, "Let's put Tragus out of our minds for now. He's trying to stop this treaty, and if we keep talking about him and what he's doing, we'll never get anything done and he'll have won without even doing anything."

"But how are we supposed to talk about anything when we know there's an insane changeling out to attack us?" Thorax asked next.

"Don't worry about," Twilight waved her hoof, "Flash and Heart are on his tail and hopefully, they'll have captured the changeling by now. They're professionals, and they're not gonna be wasting time having fun during such an important moment."


Meanwhile...

In the forest surrounding the mountain range of Andor, a hole in the ground was currently pouring out smoke. The methane that had previously filled the cave had been ignited and the entire place had gone up in flames, every living thing inside now burnt to a crisp...except two ponies.

From out of the smoky hole, two pegasi dragged themselves out, coughing up a storm and their coats and manes now covered in soot. And as they walked out, they soon fell onto their backs and breathed in the crisp fresh air. They took a few deep breaths before glancing at each other...and bursting out laughing.

"That was awesome!" Flash guffawed.

Heart nodded, "I haven't had a blast like that since Gallus and Silverstream's wedding party."

"Who?" Flash asked, Heart shrugging.

"Spoilers. You'll meet 'em. Trust me on that." They then heard the sound of running water, both turning to it and seeing a nearby stream that was running out of the side of the mountain. The pair took a deep breath and pulled themselves up, trotting over next to take a drink and wash out the soot, dirt and gaia berry juice.

"Well, that was certainly an interesting experience," Flash groaned, "Though it would be pointless if we still missed Tragus." He turned to Heart, "Know where he is?"

Heart took out the compass and opened it up, seeing that the arrow was pointing at the mountain, "Got it. We're ahead, but he can't be to far from reaching the bottom."

Flash nodded and stood up, "Any idea how much longer it'll be until the capture dust you sprayed on him will wear off?"

Heart put his hoof to his chin, humming a tune Flash sometimes hummed when he started thinking, "Hmm...maybe another hour? Or half an hour. Can't be sure."

"Then we've gotta find him before it does," Flash spread his wings. "Ready to capture this jerk once and for all?"

"You know it," Heart flared his own wings and they both took off.


Back in Manehatten...

The delegates were now starting to get down to the nitty gritty of what the treaty would require, Celestia speak up next, "Long story short, should either of your kingdoms find itself under attack by an enemy you feel you can't handle on your own, we would agree to lend you aid should you need it. That can involve sending soldiers, medical aid or even materials required to rebuild anything that was damaged. In return, you'll agree to the same terms."

"Oh, I don't like the idea of something attacking us." Thorax gulped before turning to Hiveena, "Isn't there a way we can solve problems like that without violence?"

"We all wish things could be so simple," Luna chimed in, "And while violence should never be the first answer, it's an answer that needs to be considered and prepared for."

Thorax frowned at this, but saw Hiveena nod back at him. "I...I guess you're right. Even with all the changes that are happening to us, I guess we can't completely escape violence."

They all nodded before turning to Ember, "Is this alright with you as well?" Cadance asked.

"Sure," Ember replied while shrugging, "You ponies sure showed your stuff during the whole Malafear incident." Flicker flinched at that name, "You can sure hold your own out there, so I'd be happy the fight beside you whenever you need help. Just don't be expecting us dragons to ask for help too often. We still have our pride, you know."

They all nodded in agreement as Shining put his hoof on the table and stared at Ember. "I have to ask, have you thought of actually forming a military? I saw the way the dragons fought when they came to the Crystal Empire. You all weren't exactly...organized."

Ember raised an eyebrow at this, "I don't think any dragon lord has thought of a military."

Flicker nodded in agreement, "Honestly, I doubt most dragons would have the attention span needed to do the kind of training I've seen ponies do. They would probably get bored and run off, or disobey whatever orders are given to them."

"We've had those problems before," Celestia sighed, "Plenty of young ponies that try to join the guard, thinking it'll be all fun and games, then get bored when they realize how serious the training is."

"What do you usually do with them?" Hiveena asked, seeing a smirk appear on Celestia's face.

"Oh, the trainers come up with some pretty interesting punishments." She turned to Twilight, "Didn't Grand have Flash scrub the guard's showers with a toothbrush once?"

Twilight nodded, "And threatened to make him use it on himself if he found one speck of dirt after Flash was done."

They all laughed at this, only for Celestia to continue, "If ponies don't shape up after stuff like that, it's obvious they won't last long as guards. But those that do remain become incredibly strong and disciplined. And the best of the best become Royal Knights, which is why you can trust Flash and Heart to deal with our little problem."


The Andor Mountain Range...

Tragus had gotten over the final mountain, now sliding down the side of its base. And when he reached the bottom and entered the forest, he sighed in relief. "That was more work than it should have been," he growled, "But now I can get to Manehatten and end that ridiculous treaty signing."

"You're not going anywhere!" He gasped and leapt back, just in time to avoid a fireball that struck the ground. He looked up and saw two figures appear, Flash and Heart both taking a battle stance with their swords drawn.

"You two?!" He yelped, "Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

"Because we refuse to let you change the future!" Heart barked back, "Just because you hate how our world is doesn't mean you have the right to alter it and ruin every-creature else's lives." He pointed at him, "Now give back the Time Stone!"

"Never!" Tragus yelled, "I'm setting things back the way they should have been before you ponies infected our society! We used to feared throughout the land...but now we're nothing more than a forgettable race! A bunch of weaklings that constantly talk about our feelings! THAT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE!"

"Says you." Flash replied, "The changelings are much better now than you were when Chrysalis led you. At least you're not starving any more."

"Enough!" Tragus barked, "I will put things right! This stupid treaty will fall, and the federation will never come to be!"

"Federation?" Flash asked.

"Forget him!" The fire pegasus yelled, "Just take him down."

"Wait!" Flash gasped, but Heart didn't listen as he charged ahead while summoning a sword.

"Fire Cutter!" The sword unleashed a blade of fire, but the changeling leapt to the side. Heart quickly skid to a stop before leaping at him. "Fire Grinder!" He then morphed into a flaming wheel.

The changeling tried to escape, but the flame wheel followed him. "AAAAAHHHHH!" He cried as he was thrown through a tree while the flame wheel exploded and Heart's weapon morphed into its bow form.

"Fire Shot!" He pulled the chord back and let go, the bow launching a blast of fire.

Tragus moaned as he picked himself up, then glanced up to see the attack coming. He rolled to the side, dodging the fireball as it then exploded against the grassy terrain, causing it to set fire. Flash's eyes went wide, but Heart flew down and stomped on the flames before they could spread. Fire out, Heart turned to Tragus and morphed his bow into a naginata, Tragus quickly taking to the air as Heart swung the blade at him. Heart flared his wings at this, following the bug until Tragus suddenly flew down, hitting the ground as Heart spun in the air and dived with the blade pointed at him.

"Gyah!" He leapt back at the blade stuck itself into the ground, only for Heart to pole vault off it and slam a burning hoof into Tragus' chest. "AUGH!" He was thrown back at this, the bug soon skidding along the ground as Heart's Flamemaker morphed back to sword form.

"RAAAAAAHHHHH!" Heart roared as he dove at Tragus, but the bug raised its hooves at the incoming knight.

"HEART!" Flash gasped as the two made contact, and the flames unleashed a cloud of smoke. Flash charged in and used his wings to clear the smoke, only to go wide-eyed, "Oh no..."

Heart's sword had struck Tragus' legs, which had been replaced by a pair of large claws. All three were wide-eyed now, Tragus trying to smile as he cheered, "Oh yeah!" And before Heart could react, Tragus swung the claws and threw Heart away.

"Gyah!" He hit the dirt as Tragus leapt into the air and morphed into a giant Scorpentine. He then swung his tail down, preparing to crush Heart in a single blow.

But before he could, Flash leapt between them and used the flat of his blade to block the tail. "URGH!" He growled as he pushed the tail back, "Not happening!"

Heart picked himself up as Tragus pulled back at this, "Ha! Now that I can transform, you can't beat me."

"I doubt that." Flash responded, "You won't be the first changeling I take down." Heart grabbed his weapon and morphed it into the bow, the pegasus quickly firing fire blasts. But Tragus used his claws to block the attack as Flash leapt up, "Flash Cutter Barrage!" He swung his sword around while spinning, creating multiple blades of light.

But before they could land, the changeling morphed into a mouse that the blades completely missed, only to then shift into a slingtail. He then stuck his tail in the ground and shook it.

"Look out!" Heart yelled as Tragus sent a bunch of dirt and rocks flying. Flash turned on Theta Mode at this, quickly dodging the attacks before landing, only for the slingtail to appear in front of him.

"Surprise!" He roared as he brought large foot down on top of him. Flash cried out as he was crushed underfoot, barely able to move as he held up his sword, the ground beneath him breaking apart.

"Get off of him!" Heart exclaimed as Flamemaker morphed into a hammer with a hole on one side, which fired exploded out of. The hammer sailed through the air at the slingtail, but the beast suddenly vanished in a burst of green fire. "What the-"

Flash moaned as he forced his eyes open, only to see a small fly land on Heart's hammer. "Look out!" Before Heart could react, the fly transformed into a pukwudgie. It was holding onto the end of his hammer and quickly leapt and fired a barrage of spines.

"Gyah!" Heart cried as he was the ground around him was impaled.

"Flash Force!" Flash pointed his blade at the pukwudgie and unleashed a laser, but the creature hopped off the hammer. The creature then landed and rolled around before launching several more spikes at Flash, the defender deflecting them with his sword. 'This guy's good. He doesn't just know how to copy creatures, he can use their abilities perfectly.'

"Fire Crash!" Heart's weapon morphed into an axe and he smashed it into the ground, creating a flaming blade that cut through the ground. In response, the pukwudgie morphed into a bugbear, and fired its stingers as it dodged the flaming blade by taking to the air.

Flash watched the bugbear fly back, the defender squinting at the sight. 'That's gotta be draining his energy. Hiveena had the same problem...so we need to exhaust him.'

"Heart," he turned to the pegasi, "Defensive strategy. Don't try anything big and wait for an opening." Heart raised an eyebrow at the defender, the changeling transforming into a lindworm next as it rolled up to the duo. The pegasi danced around at this, dodging each swing from the creature.

"What are we doing?!" Heart yelped as the lindworm morphed into a giant dragon that unleashed a blast of fire, Heart then blocking the flames before they could hit Flash. "I hate this! Why aren't we attacking?!"

"Didn't I teach you anything?!" Flash yelled as the dragon stopped the flames, "Sometimes the best offense is a strong defense." The dragon transformed into a maulwurf and tried to slash at the pair, but they quickly hopped back as Flash continued, "Why try and weaken him when he's tiring himself out all on his own?"

Heart frowned at hearing this, only for Tragus to transform again. This time he morphed into something that looked like a shaggy dog with the face of a teddy bear, Heart gasping at the sight, "A Whirling Mungtooth!"

"A what?" He asked before the creature started spinning around, soon turning into a large tornado with the teddy head on the top. "Oookay...that's a new one."

The duo then felt the tornado start to pull them, Heart turning to his mentor, "What do we do?"

Flash shined him a grin, "Fire!"

Heart blinked before glancing back at the whirlwind, "Gladly!" His hoof ignited and he unleashed a burst of fire into the vortex. The teddy face turned into one of shock as his tornado morphed into a blazing twister.

"Gyah!" He cried, stopping his hurricane as the flames continued to burn him. "Augh!"

"Now we got him!" Flash roared as he turned on Theta Mode again, allowing him to avoid the flames as he got in close. He began to hit him with some weak but fast attacks, flying past Tragus while hitting him with the blunt end of his sword. The defender then bounced off a tree and flew back into the bug, the knight soon repeating this process several times.

As this happened, Heart just stared at the sight, "Just go in for the kill already," he said, though Flash couldn't hear it.

And after the ten strike, Flash leapt straight up into the air. As he did this, Tragus was in midair and had been reverted back to his true form, Flash soon shooting downward to deal the finishing blow.

"HI-YA!" Heart roared as he shot straight up, his weapon in its mace form.

"HEART!" Flash yelped, the sight causing him to slow down. As this happened, Tragus quickly morphed into a fly, both pegasi gasping as they tried to stop themselves. "GAH!" They grunted as they collided with one another, completely missing the fly before falling to the ground.

They crashed with a loud thud as the fly returned to normal. "Thanks Heart!" Tragus laughed. "With enemies like you, who needs friends?! Now, to end this!" In that moment, his body burst into green flames and Flash and Heart were now greeted by the sight of a giant brown wasp creature with yellow lightning bolts covering its body that had a pair of large brown antenna that ended in a yellow ring.

"What the-" Flash couldn't even finish his sentence as the insect's antenna suddenly extended as the rings on the end opened up into snapping claws. Before either pegasus could react, the claws slammed into them and snapped shut. Both wheezed as they felt the breath get squeezed out of them. And before they could do anything, Tragus's body sparked with electrical energy, surging it into the antenna and going into the pegasi. Both screamed as they were zapped, their hooves going numb as they lost their grips on their weapons. Tragus smiled as he watched them both go limb, finally stopping his electrical assault and dropping the pair.

Tragus laughed as he reverted back to normal. "So I guess that's the best you've got! Pathetic! How did you ever become a legendary hero?!" Flash tried to raise his head, but couldn't. "I'd finish you off here and now, but I've already wasted enough time." He transformed again, this time morphing into Fire Heart. "Gotta fly!" With that, he unleashed a blast of fire and was sent flying toward Manehatten, leaving the two Royal Knight stuck on the ground.

"No..." Flash whispered, "Twilight..."


It'd been roughly three hours since the start of the treaty meeting and everypony was starting to get antsy. At this point in time, Celestia was giving the dragons and changelings a long winded explanation on the way trade works. "So once each kingdom has determined what the others don't have that we do, we can start agreeing upon how much one item is worth for another."

"Wouldn't they all be worth the same?" Ember asked, Celestia shaking her head.

"Not exactly. For example..." She sparked her horn and in a flash, a large watermelon and a bowl of oranges appeared. "This watermelon is much larger than these oranges, which means it can feed a lot more than just one orange. Exchanging a watermelon for an orange wouldn't exactly be a fair trade. But trading one watermelon for ten oranges would be a lot more equal."

"Huh..." Ember tilted her head at this, "I guess that makes sense. So it's all about size?"

"Size, weight, how easy it is to grow. There are many factors to determine something's worth."

"Augh!" Thorax's head slammed into the table, "This is giving me a headache. Changelings never needed this kinda stuff before..."

"We understand, but this is important." Luna chimed in, "These kind of things can be hard to understand at first. I'm still getting used to it, and I've been doing this for a long time."

The two non-pony leaders moaned again, Cadance deciding this was a good time to take a break. "We need to let ourselves de-stress from all this mind-numbing debate. I say we take an hour to relax and then come back to this with fresh eyes." Everyone slowly nodded at this, all getting up from the table as Cadance turned to see a frowning Twilight, "Scared Flash might be in trouble?"

"No. When is he not in trouble?" Twilight replied, "I'm more worried that Heart's future might have already been changed. For all I know, telling Ember and Thorax about Tragus might have done something that changed the future."

"Well, we can't know for sure," Celestia spoke up, "They'll be a billion things that happen between what we do here today and the time that Heart comes from. You more than anypony know how messy trying to control everything in the world can be." Twilight went wide-eyed at this, gulping as she remembered back to her first time travel mishap. "All we can do is what we think is right and hope for the best, just like we do every day."

Twilight let out a sigh at this, "I know...I just hate not knowing if Flash and Heart have caught Tragus or not. I wish I could contact them somehow."

"I think I can help with that." They all turned to Spike, who had a smirk on his lips.

"Thanks Spike, but sending them a message will be pretty pointless since they don't have a way to contract us back." She then saw Spike's smirk increase, "What are you planning?"

Spike turned to Celestia, "Don't suppose you know where I can get a jar, do you?" The alicorns all blinked at this, only for Celestia to summon the item, only to see Spike take it in his claws. "Nice."


Meanwhile...

Flash and Heart were now feeling the numbness wear off, their bodies slowly starting to move again. "Ugh..." Flash moaned as he sat up, "That sucked."

"Yeah," Heart groaned, "Never felt anything like that before."

"What the heck even was that thing he turned into anyway?"

"No idea. Never seen it before. But changelings can only transform into things they've seen before, so whatever it was must really exist. Guess its something Tragus saw when he was young or something."

Flash let out another moan as pushed himself to his hooves. "Well whatever it was, it got us stuck here." He then turned to glare at Heart, "And he wouldn't have gotten the chance to if you hadn't jumped in like that! What were you thinking?!"

"I'm sorry," Heart whispered as he tried to get up, "I...I didn't mean to get in your way."

"How could you not have known what I was planning?!" Flash yelled, "I know my fighting style must have changed a little in the future, but the two of us must fight together enough for you to be able to tell when I'm about to attack." Flash then cricked his neck as Heart just stared at him, only for Flash to turn to him and see his stare, "What? Was it something I said?"

"Uh...well..." Heart tried to say, a growing frown appearing on his face.

But that expression was enough for Flash as he asked, "Heart...we have fought together in the future...haven't we?" Heart remained silent, the quiet now making Flash add, "Heart..."

The knight glanced away at this, "No."

"No what?"

"No." Heart's eyes slowly went down at the ground, "We haven't fought together in...a long time."

"What?!" Flash yelped, "Why?! I've been looking forward to one day fighting besides you as a knight since you first became my apprentice! Why would we not fight together? What, did I...I..." He stopped mid-sentence at this, soon going wide-eyed as he asked, "Oh...oh. Huh."

Heart looked back at his mentor, now seeing the frown appear on Flash's face, "In the future-"

"Don't!" Flash interrupted him, "Don't...tell me. I can't know."

Heart began to glare at him, "But if you know what happens, maybe you can stop it from happening!"

Flash stared back at him with a flat glare, "We're trying to prevent your future from being changed, remember? Don't tell me what happens."

"Yes, but we're trying to prevent it from being changed in a bad way!" Heart barked back, "How is you being alive in the future a bad thing?!"

Flash kept his stare at this, crossing his hooves, "So I am dead." Heart opened his mouth again, but Flash shoved a hoof in front of him, "Don't. I've had enough experience with time travel to know changing anything is never a good idea. Trust me, as my own girlfriend has met an evil version of me because of time travel!"

"Even so, I don't care!" Heart cried, "I've been given this chance to save you, and damn it if I'm not gonna use it!"

"You can't." Flash instantly replied, "If I'm supposed to die in the future, then so be it. We can't let our selfish desires interfere with our duties as knights to uphold what's right."

"Augh!" Heart yelled, putting his hooves into his head, "I can't believe this! Princess Twilight was totally right about you!"

"What was she right about?"

"You!" Heart pointed at Flash, "She told me to not tell you about the future and try and save you! She knew you would...you would act like you don't care! It's like you wanna die or something!"

"Of course I don't wanna die," Flash responded while shaking his head, "But I accepted a long time ago that one day, I might have to give up my life to protect Equestria and all those I care about." Heart grimaced at this, only for Flash to add, "You said the future you come from is amazing. The best place to live."

"Yeah..." Heart slowly replied, "But...it would be better if you were alive in it."

Flash just gave him another flat stare, "Heart...I just told you what time travel can do. I don't want to mess up your amazing future. And since you're acting like this, this means my death was super important." He glared at the pegasi, "Did my death help protect Equestria?"

Heart looked down at the ground at this, "You...you saved everypony. Not just Equestria, but every single kingdom survived because of you."

Flash went wide-eyed for a second, only to nod, "Then it's okay. If giving up my life saved that many lives, it's a price I'm willing to pay."

"But-" Heart tried to say, only to see the firm stare on Flash's face. The sight made him glance away, "You...you shouldn't have to pay it."

"Maybe," Flash nodded, "But a Royal Knight's life is all about making choices and pay prices we shouldn't have to. That's why only the best of the best can become ones." Heart looked back up at him, showing a giant frown. The sight made Flash sigh, "Heart...listen to me. You telling me how to survive in the future could be more dangerous than you think."

Heart went wide-eyed at this, "What makes you say that?"

"If you told me how I died and how to stop it, then I could be alive in the future? If I am, why didn't Twilight send me after Tragus instead of you? If I'm sent, or we're both sent after him, we might catch him before he travels to the past. That means you'd never travel to the past, which means we wouldn't meet and you wouldn't tell me how to save myself and...and..." Heart could see some steam coming off Flash's head as the defender rubbed his forehead, "Ugh...that's making my head hurt! This is Twilight's realm and...and I think we've both read enough time travel comics to know what this'll all mean."

"A paradox," Heart sighed.

"Exactly. I don't know about you, but I don't wanna risk possibly ripping the universe into twenty eight different pieces..." Flash's eyes glanced to the side, "Though I kinda have an idea of how that works...and its not worth it."

Heart sighed again, moving over to a nearby rock and kicking several feet. "It's not fair." Flash's ears dropped at this before walking over and placing a wing on his shoulders. "You did so much for Equestria. It's not fair what happened to you."

"I know," Flash nodded as Heart fell to his flank.

"Twilight...she wasn't the same afterwards. She...it took her a long time to get over what happened, and even then she could never really move on." Flash flinched at this as he continued, "Everypony else started to get on with their lives, knowing you wouldn't want us to waste them mourning you."

"You're right," Flash chuckled, "I wouldn't. Especially over me."

"But it still hurt," Heart whispered, "For the longest time, nopony could even say your name without everypony getting depressed. It was really hard."

Flash closed his eyes at this, patting the knight with his wing before saying, "I'm...sorry I put you through that. Or will put you through that." He sat down beside the pegasus. "You know, it's funny. Before we ran into you, I was worried I wasn't doing enough as a mentor. Now I find out I might not even be around to see you get knighted."

Heart nodded back, "After you...were gone, Grand, Iron and the other knights helped me complete my training. I just...wish you were there to see who I became." Tears were starting to flow from his eyes. "Getting knighted should have been the happiest day of my life, but not having you there..."

Flash patted his side, "I guess my worries about not teaching you enough was for nothing. Sounds like I should just ask the others to just teach you themselves."

Heart's eyes went wide at this, the fire pegasus turning to him, "Are you nuts?! You taught me more than anypony else! The others might have finished my training, but you're the one who started it!" He stood up and stared at Flash, "You were the one that showed me I could be a hero like you! You showed me what it means to be a hero, and not just during our lessons. Every day I was with you, even when we weren't training, I saw the way you acted around others. How you treat ponies that need your help, and the ponies you needed to stop!"

Flash blinked at the stallion, "You...really mean that?"

Heart nodded back, "I am who I am today because you were there to guide me. Even after you...I never forgot those lessons. No matter what Iron, Grand and the others taught me, it was your lessons that always stuck in my head. You taught me that it's okay to feel scared. That showing mercy isn't a weakness. How to stay calm when you're under pressure, and so much more! I am the knight I am because of what I learned from you!"

Flash let this information sink in, only to show a giant smile at the knight. Heart smiled back, the Ig-Knighter holding out a hoof. "Don't ever doubt that you could have done better, because I'm living proof that you were the best mentor any knight could ever ask for." Flash continued to smile at him, then took his hoof and let the pegasus pull him up.

"Thanks Heart. And I am sorry for not being there when you became a knight." He placed a hoof on his shoulder, "I might not want to know how I die, but I promise I'm gonna do everything in my power to survive. Who knows, maybe there is a way to for me to be alive in the future without completely changing it."

"I hope so," Heart nodded back before turning to Manehatten. "But right now, we need to stop Tragus before he destroys the future forever."

"Yeah. But we need to be quick since he's got a major head-start on us." Heart nodded as Flash and he took to the air. "I hate to say this, but if we can't stop him before he gets there, then we might have to cancel the trade meeting."

"We can't do that," Heart replied, "If the C.D.P.A isn't formed today, it could have disastrous consequences to the future. If the alliance can't even survive the signing, the federation could be doomed."

"Federation? What federation?" Heart flinched at this as Flash remembered what Tragus had said earlier, "This is something that he's trying to do, right. Destroy this federation, whatever it is?"

Heart let out a sigh, and then nodded. "The Changeling, Dragon, Pony Alliance is only the start of the amazing future I come from." He turned to Flash, "In time, more creatures will start to admire the beneficial link between the three nations and will want the same thing. Griffons, yaks, kirin and even creatures you haven't met yet. They'll all want to join the alliance. Some are happy to join right away, others will take a little time to come around to the the idea. So many creatures will start to join that the original idea of simply adding more names to the alliance's title is thrown out the window...and the C.D.P.A is renamed and reforged into something new and different. Into a United Federation of Creatures."

Flash's eyes went full wide at this, his brain now completely haywire as he let that information sink in. "This treaty signing is more important then Twilight and I realized." Heart nodded back, "Huh. Then we can't let Tragus ruin it no matter what."

"But how?" Heart asked, "We know where he's going, but how are we supposed to stop him now that he has such a lead?"

It was here that a puff of smoke suddenly appeared in front of Flash, the pegasus stopping as it swirled together and morphed into three objects. A roll of parchment, an inked quill and a jar full of green fire.

"Whoa," Heart gasped as Flash caught them. "Hey...that's Spike's dragon fire!"

Flash nodded back, "He spent all last night learning to jar it up." He opened the parchment, "Twilight's asking how the hunt's going."

"So what do we tell her?"

Flash grimaced at this, "Well...I wanna tell her to get everypony somewhere else now that he has the lead, but that might change history." As he said those words, a bulb went off in his head as he turned to Heart, "Say...you don't remember me ever telling you about a future version of you coming back to stop a time travelling changeling, right?"

Heart shook his head, "No. I think I'd remember you telling me that."

"Not if I don't tell you," Flash replied, "The only ones that know about you and Tragus are me, Twilight and all those at the conference. But if we can stop Tragus and not tell anypony about it, then history won't be altered, right?"

"I...guess? But that still doesn't tell us how we're supposed to stop him."

"Maybe we can. I mean, if I didn't tell you, the version of events you know might not have actually happened like this. What did Twilight say history was like again?" Flash rubbed his chin with his hoof, "Oh yeah. History is written by the winners. So if we do something, but don't let it get recorded or even remembered, then your future won't change." He glanced back at Heart, "Tell me everything you know that is supposed to happen today. Don't leave out a single detail."

Heart nodded back before telling him every detail. He told him how the conference took place in Manehatten's Grand Hotel, and that nopony went in or out of the conference hall. And as Flash heard these things, a big grin appeared on his face as he took the quill and began writing. Once he was done, he opened up the jar of fire and placed the rolled up scroll into it. The flames ate away at the paper and the ashes flew into the air, both waiting to see what Twilight thought. Hopefully, she and the others would accept his idea. If they didn't, the future as Heart knew it may be gone forever.


Tragus had now reached Manehatten, the changeling landing just outside the city before morphing into a less recognizable pegasus. He flew through the town, trying to remember where exactly the Grand Hotel was. "I know it's supposed to be around here somewhere..." he told himself as he flew over a busy crowd. "Where is it?! Where is it?!" He then flew down into the crowd and landed by a news stand, "Excuse me!" A pony popped his head out of the stand, "I'm looking for the Grand Hotel."

"Oh, that's easy." He pointed to the skyscraper that had the giant wooden horse head on it. "Go over to that building and you'll find it on the same street. Yah can't miss it, since it has its name plastered onto it."

"Thank you," the changeling nodded before taking off, soon arriving and spotting a building that was completely surrounded by guards. The changeling smirked at the sight and in a flash of fire, he morphed into a tiny fly that buzzed over the guards. And as one guard stepped out to relieve another, they opened a door that allowed Tragus the fly inside. "History said the treaty took place in the grand hall..." he whispered to himself, "I just have to go in and attack everypony but Thorax and Hiveena. They'll think this was an assassination attempt that they orchestrated. Even if I fail to kill them, those dragons are so hotheaded that they'll never trust the changelings again. The alliance will never be signed. HA!"

He buzzed up to the grand hall, now seeing it had just two guards standing outside. He floated down behind them, flying around one of their noses before going down to the door. He turned into an ant, soon crawling underneath the door and into the grand hall, where he heard Twilight's voice. "We shouldn't let this whole future business distracted us from the present. We came to discuss a treaty, and that's exactly what we're gonna do."

"Why should we?" Ember asked, standing up from her chair. "How do I know this whole future Heart and changeling thing isn't a trap? Who says that Heart you met is really from the future? Maybe he's just another changeling, trying to trick us somehow."

"We wouldn't do that," Thorax replied.

"Yes," Hiveena nodded. "Don't go accusing us of something we didn't do without proof."

"Now, let's try and calm down," Celestia chimed in, "Nopony's accusing anypony of anything. Whatever that changeling is trying to do, they'll fail. We have our best knights on the job."

Tragus smirked at this, remembering what he just did to those knights, only to see Luna stand up, "Now listen here, we can't allow one unhinged member of any of our kingdoms ruin the possible future our races could have."

"Luna's right," Twilight added, "The friendships we have formed are just the first of many that can spread throughout our kingdoms. But if we're to have any kind of future, we have to put our past behind us. Not forgotten, but learned from and forgiven."

'Not if I can help it!' Tragus thought before morphing back into his true form. The group turned to him as he then proclaimed, "Thorax. Hiveena. Our plan is about to be fulfilled!" He suddenly changed into a giant bugbear and unleashed a bunch of stingers at everypony except the changeling leaders. And as he did this, he let out a laugh, knowing that the future was no doubt about to be changed.

But then, to his absolute shock, the stingers shot through the targets like they were ghosts. Instead, they struck the chairs, knocking them all over, but the leaders and their advisers remained where they were despite not having chairs.

"What?!" He morphed back to his true form, "How?!" He landed on the table, now seeing the group begin to flicker in and out of existence. "What is this?!"

He glanced behind him next, only to spot something on the ground. A crystal, which was projecting a light that his leg was blocking. When he moved his leg away, the group all returned to looking perfectly normal despite sitting with no chairs.

"Surprise!" Twilight giggled as Tragus turned to her. "I'm sorry to say, but your attempt failed."

"What is this?!" Tragus asked, "What are you?!"

"They're illusionary projections." Tragus turned to the doorway, which was now open as the two guards stepped inside. "Sorry to tell you this, but the real Twilight and everyone else aren't here."

"But we are," the other guard chuckled as they removed their helmets. When they did, their bodies were covered in light that quickly faded to reveal Flash and Heart standing side by side.

Tragus' eyes were wide. "You! But...but...how?!"

Flash chuckled at this, "Twilight made a two-way Rune Gate and Spike sent it to us. We were able to get here lickity split and start our plan."

"Plan?! What plan?! Where are the treaty signers?!"

"Like we'd tell you," Hiveena chuckled as Tragus turned to glare at her.

"I was trying to help you!"

"I don't believe you were." Twilight chimed in, "I must say, when Flash arrived and told us his plan, I have to admit it was quite brilliant."

"Where are you?!" Tragus screamed, "TELL ME!"


And as Tragus kept asking that question, the answer laid itself in the warehouse-disguised holding pad of the Mighty Leviathan. The ponies/changelings/dragons were all sitting around a table just like the one they had in the Grand Hotel. Trixie was there, her horn unleashing a light that was recording them and also projecting Tragus. Tidal stood behind her, a smirk on his lips as he was glad he could help with the situation.

"Trixie enchanted the gem to act as a receiver for her magic," Luna explained, "Once it was ready, we simply teleported ourselves out of the hotel without our guards knowing about it. Now there's no way the news of us leaving the hotel will leak, meaning history won't be changed."


"You wanted to change the past," Flash told Tragus, "But the fact is, you're a part of the past now. All we have to do is take you down without anypony outside noticing, and it'll be like you never showed up. We keep the timeline on course, and nopony will be any the wiser."

Tragus' eyes went red at this, growling at the two knights, only for a bright flash of light to suddenly envelop the room. "What?! What was that?!"

"Rune magic," Twilight chimed in, "Left it behind so the room is one hundred percent sealed." The image began to flicker, "No way to teleport out, and no way to get through the barrier. You're trapped." She turned to the only two ponies actually in there, "Take him down boys."

"You heard the mare." Flash chuckled as he pulled out Lightbringer. "Game's over Tragus."

"No..." Tragus quickly transformed into a fly and headed to the nearest door, only to slam into an invisible wall. "NO!" He cried, turning back to normal while Flash and Heart walked up to him.

"It's over Tragus," Heart took out his sword and pointed it at the changeling. "Give it up and we won't have to hurt you."

Tragus spun around and let out a roar, "NEVER!" He transformed into the electric wasp again, its antenna sparking. "No matter what, I will find a way to change my species back to what we're supposed to be! And you won't stop me!"

"I beg to differ," Flash smirked at Heart. "Ready partner?" Heart nodded back before the pair got into a battle stance. "Then let's show him what happens when Equestria's best knight and squire team does when we work together!" Flash's body began to glow while Heart's body steamed up. "ARMORIZE/FLAME ON!"

In a flash of light and fire, the two pegasi transformed, Flash taking a second to glance over at Heart and see that his fire form hadn't changes much since his youth. The flames just appeared a little hotter and his eyes weren't whited out like they normally were.

"Let's go!" Heart cheered as he charged, Flash right behind him. "Fire Shot!" He punched the air and unleashed a fireball. The changeling quickly transformed into a dragon and the fireball exploded off of him without injury, only for Flash to slash at his chest. Tragus screamed at this before trying to breathe a stream of fire. But as he did this, Heart appeared in front of Flash and blocked the flames.

Like a dance, Flash slashed at Tragus next, only for the changeling to try and fly back, but Heart then thrusted his body into bug, kicking him in the stomach. This was followed by another slash from Flash, but Tragus leapt back at this, only for his back to hit the wall. Seeing this, the two ponies pulled their hooves back, ready to give him a shining and burning punch.

Tragus panicked and morphed into a fly, the punches missing as he could feel an incredible heat coming off them. He quickly flew past the pair, then changing into a bugbear that fired several stingers at them. But both ponies simply deflected the attacks with their swords.

"No!" Tragus yelled as he transformed again, this time into the wasp creature that had beaten them last time. He thrust his antenna, but Flash summoned the head of his avatar around them. The antenna bounced off the energy shield, only for Heart to fly out of the avatar.

Tragus returned to normal as he saw Heart fly up before diving down to deal him a blazing punch. The bug quickly summoned his scorpentine claws at this, but Heart didn't seem to care and kept flying. Tragus smirked at the sight, raising the scorpentine's tail as he prepared for the knight. But just as Heart was about to reach him, he disappeared in a flash of light. "What?!" He yelped, only to then feel a burning impact collide with his back. "GYAH!" He glanced back to see Heart now unleashing a blast of fire. "AAAAAHHHHH!" He screamed as the flames slammed him into the ground.

Heart smirked as Flash flew up to him, "Thanks for the teleport."

"Any time," Flash replied before they stared down at the now smoking changeling. "Let's finish this!" Heart nodded and the two began to build up energy, Flash's chest gem unleashing the energy into a sphere while Heart brought his hooves together to form a fireball.

Once the two orbs were the size of a buckball, they tossed them both up into the air, the orbs soon merging into a giant orb of light and fire. Flash's back right boot glowed while Heart's back left leg's fire intensified, the two pegasi leaping straight up. Once both were behind the orb, they pulled their legs back before swung them down at the same time, sending even more energy into it as it was sent flying. "SHINING-FLARE IMPACT!" They roared as the ball shot down toward the ground like a meteor.

Tragus glanced up and went wide-eyed, the changeling morphing into a scorpentine to try and block the attack. He crossed his claws as the sphere made contact with them and tried to push it away, only for an explosion to consume him. "RAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" He screamed as the entire room shook, the barrier the only thing keeping it from being completely destroyed as the light from the explosion forced the two pegasi to close their eyes.

After a few moments, the light began to die down and showed their opponent had returned to his true form, unconscious and smoking. The two landed at this, the Royal Knights dispelling their powered up forms.

"That was fun," Flash laughed as Heart walked up to Tragus, patting him down until he found was he was looking for.

"Got it!" He held up the Time Stone, only to tap the tiny object with his hoof, "To think, something so small could cause so many problems."

"You'd be surprised how many problems stuff like that can cause." Flash added as he walked over to the wall where Twilight had placed a rune and wiped his hoof over it, the magical barrier dropping a second later.

When it did, the gem activated again and projected the image of the treaty members. Twilight looked up at him and smiled, "Is it over?"

"Yup." Flash nodded, "One futuristic changeling captured."

"And one legendary time stone recovered," Heart held the relic up for them all to see. Twilight's eyes bugged out at this and she sparked her horn, the other alicorns doing the same, and a moment later the gem cut out before a flash of light filled the room.

Twilight and everypony else that had been hiding in the Mighty Leviathan's bunker appeared in the room, Twilight running up to grab the Time Stone. "Amazing." She rolled the stone over in her hooves, "Imagine the amazing secrets this holds. I can't wait to get it under a microscope and uncover them."

But before she could say anything else, Celestia walked up and let out a chuckle. "Well Twilight, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while before you can do that." She turned to Heart. "As I understand it, you'll need this relic in order to return to your own time?"

Heart nodded and bowed, "That's right your majesty."

Twilight sighed at this, giving the stone back to Heart. "You better get that stone to me as quickly as possible. That's an order soldier." Heart nodded and turned to Tragus, Thorax and Hiveena now staring down at the bug.

Thorax rolled the treacherous changeling onto his back, a big frown on his face before glancing up at Heart, "What will happen to him when you return to the future?"

"He'll be held by Equestria until word can be sent to your kingdom. Then, it'll be up to you to decide what punishment you want to give him. To take him into your custody, or leave him in Equestria."

Thorax sighed and crossed his hooves, "I guess I'll have to start thinking about it." Heart nodded while Hiveena placed a hoof on his shoulder, the two staring at each other for a second. After this, he looked back at Heart, "Thank you for what you've done. No doubt you've done our kind a great service."

Heart smirked, "Just doing my job."

"Indeed," Luna trotted over to him. "It's reassuring to know that the future of Equestria is in such good hooves." The rest all nodded, "I truly look forward to the day our version of you will be knighted."

Spike moved over and elbowed Flash in the leg, "Bet you're looking forward to seeing that more then anypony."

"Yeah," Flash forced a smile and nodded as well, "Sure am." Heart then stared at Flash, showing a slight frown. But as Flash saw this, he shook his head, Heart nodding back.

"Well," Heart spoke up as he pointed at Tragus, "I guess I'd better get going. You probably all have a lot of talking left to do, and don't need us distracting you anymore."

"Is this treaty meeting really that important?" Ember asked him. "I mean, I know it was important, but would it have really ruined your entire future if he had won?"

"Yeah, it definitely would have." He glanced around at all the creatures there, "What you do here today will forever change your three nations. You're going to build something that'll stand the test of time, no matter what odds. Your nations will stand together against many incredible threats, and the only way you'll survive them is by working together."

"Threats?" Tidal replied with a raised eyebrow.

"What kind of odds?" Shining Armor asked.

"I've probably said too much," Heart looked away. "But I'll just say this." He glanced back with a serious glare on his face, "There's a storm coming, and the only way you'll weather it is by standing together. And while it threatens to rip what you've built apart, if you can survive it, you'll discover new friendship and new paths that'll lead you to a brighter tomorrow."

They all grimaced at this, all wondering what this could mean. But as this information entered their ears, Heart turned away and pointed the Time Stone in front of him. The ancient relic began to glow a brilliant green light, which got brighter by the second before unleashing a bright green beam of light. The light struck the ground and began to form a green spiraling disk on the ground, which quickly grew before the light shot upward and formed a green dome-like structure that started letting out a burst of lightning.

Everyone stared in awe at the sight, Heart moving over to Tragus and trying to pick him up. Shining and Tidal ran over to give him a hoof, all picking the changeling up and on the count of three, tossed him into the portal. He disappeared in a flash of light as soon as he entered the dome, returning to the future where he belonged.

Mission complete, Heart took a deep breath and turned back to the others. "Well, I guess this is it."

Flash nodded and placed a hoof on his shoulder. "I guess so. It was great meeting you. I'm glad to know I don't have to worry about how you'll turn out. You're clearly one of the best Royal Knight Equestria will ever see."

Heart smiled back and nodded. "Only because I had some pretty amazing ponies showing me the way."

"Glad to have helped." He held out a hoof for Heart to shake, "Give my regards to the future."

Heart smiled back and shook with his scarred hoof, "All my love to long ago." They shook before Heart looked back at the portal, taking a deep breath as he walked up to it. But just as he was about to step in, he glanced back at the ponies, "Oh, one more thing." He held up his wing and showed two feathers, "The Trials that have been attacking you. You got two more to face."

Flash and Twilight's eyes went wide hearing this, Heart smirking as he stepped into the portal. "Wait!" Twilight cried, "Who's sending them?" But Heart just made a motion that he couldn't hear them, "WHO'S SENDING THEM?!" And then the dome began to shrink, only to soon vanish out of existence with a comical pop. "NO!"

"Well, at least now we know how many more of those things there are," Flash sighed, "I was kind of worried I'd end up getting attacked by the entire Royal Knight squadron."

"Well then," they turned back to Celestia as she used her magic to quickly fix the damage done to the room. "Shall we get back to business? We still have a lot to discuss."

They all nodded in agreement and began to take their seats. "And remember," Luna told everypony. "Nopony outside this room could know what really happened here. History states that we remained in this room the whole time, and that's what we need to tell everypony. There was no battle, no invaders from the future, no plot to alter history in anyway."

"Got it," Ember nodded. "Don't worry, my lips are sealed. As if any of my dragons are gonna believe me if I said any of that."

"Indeed," Flicker chuckled as he opened up the book he had brought with him. "I admit, I do wish I could write what really happened. But I suppose some stories are better left forgotten."

He then began writing in the book, but only wrote what Luna had said needed to be known. And as the treaty continued to be drawn out and signed, Flash joined Tidal in patrolling the hotel. Twilight had suggested checking every single room for anything that Tragus might have left, though she doubted he would have been able to set anything dangerous up with the time he had. But the Royal Knights knew it was better to be safe than sorry, and spent the rest of the day combing through the hotel to make sure there wasn't a single thing that could cause major issue. But the only dangerous thing they could find was the hotel's terrible spaghetti sauce. To much oregano.

The treaty signing went on until the noon the next day, where compromises were made and agreements were settled. The official document was drawn up and all six leaders agreed to sign it, promising to trade resources that the other nations lacked, and to be there whenever one of them was attacked. And so, the Changeling, Dragon, Pony Alliance was born.

Once that was completed, the leaders and their advisers took a commemorative photo with the signed document before stepping out of the Grand Hotel. There, many other ponies were waiting and taking photos of them for newspapers and other such documentation. To say that this would be an event nopony in the history of Equestria would forget was an understatement.


That evening...

With the train line between Manehatten and Ponyville damaged and yet to be repaired, Celestia had called for a chariot to take Twilight, Spike and Flash home. Though it was a longer trip, the three were able to relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the world beneath them fly by.

"Well, this trip was certainly more eventful than we thought it was gonna be," Twilight laughed as they drew closer to Ponyville while the sun began to set. She turned to her boyfriend, "There were a lot more issues than we thought there would be, but everything worked out in the end."

"Yeah..." Flash nodded. "In the last three days, I've fallen into a hole, been covered in dust and stinky berry juice, zapped, scratched, trampled and almost eaten and blown up." He turned to Twilight, "It was awesome!"

Twilight and Spike rolled their eyes at this as Twilight added, "I guess all your worries about the future are gone? I mean, how can you worry about how Heart turns out when you've now seen the end product? I don't know what you think, but I think you've done a pretty amazing job training him."

"Yeah...he was sure trained well." Flash put his hooves behind his head, staring up at the sky. And as Twilight and Spike began to talk about other things, the defender thought back to what had just happened. Despite everything, a part of him did wish he had let Heart tell him what was gonna happen in the future. All he knew was that some day, possibly very soon, a great threat was going to attack Equestria and many other kingdoms, and the only way to stop it...was to give up his own life.

Flash remembered what Heart had said about Twilight, how much she had suffered because of what happened to him. He couldn't let that happen. "I'll survive," he whispered, "No matter what happens, I'll survive. The future can be changed for the best."

"Flash?" He glanced over at Twilight, "Did you say something?"

"Just...that it's good to be home." Twilight and Spike nodded in agreement as the chariot's pegasi drivers began to descend and land in front of the castle. They got off and thanked their drivers, who whined happily before taking to the air again.

As they walked in, the doors opened and Starlight, Scootaloo, Springer, Ace, Mira and Soul ran out to greet them. "Hey!" Springer cheered as he and Flash bumped fists/hooves, "How'd everything go?"

"Yeah!" Soul nodded, "Was the treaty signing as boring as I guessed it'd be?!" Flash and Twilight shared a look, chuckling at this.

"Actually," Twilight giggled, "It was a lot more fun then you'd think."

"But enough about that," Flash turned to Scootaloo. "How'd the camping trip go?"

"It was great!" Scootaloo cheered, "Though, there were a few issues."

"We ran into a fly-der swarm," Springer chimed in, "Almost ruined the whole trip." They headed into the castle and as they did, Springer explained how they ended up hiding from the fly-ders in a cave. There, they told stories about some of their most favorite heroes: Rockhoof, Mistmane and Flash Magnus. According to Springer, the camping trip had been one to remember.

"That's awesome," Flash replied as they entered the living room, "Say...where's Heart?"

"Oh," Soul giggled. "He's barely been out of the training room since you left."

Starlight nodded, "I had to teleport him out of there and lock the place up until he had something to eat and got a good night's sleep."

Flash laughed at this, "I'd better go check on him," He spread his wings and flew off to the training room. When he got there, he could hear Heart's voice fill the air.

"Eight!" then a few moments later, "Yes!" Flash opened the door and saw Heart staring at the ball shooting machine. It fired a ball and Heart's eyes followed it, "Three!" The ball shot past him and he quickly picked it up, smiling when he saw what was on it. "YEAH!" He jumped up and down at this, only to see Flash standing there. He then showed the ball to him, Flash nodding back as he saw the three engraved on the ball. At that moment he knew he would never have to worry about Heart's future. No matter what happened to him, his apprentice would become a knight he could be proud of. The future...was looking pretty bright.

Author's Note:

Well, now you have some indication of the future I'm going to make. Hope you enjoyed this chapter and tell me what you think might happen based on what you read here.