• Published 17th Aug 2021
  • 2,872 Views, 273 Comments

Flash Sentry, Defender of the Peace S7 - Banshee531



Flash and his friends return, trying to live their lives as peacefully as they can. But life if rarely so peaceful, as our heroes are about to find out.

  • ...
3
 273
 2,872

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

Mare's Day, the yearly event where the mares in one's life were celebrated. Be it your mother, grandmother, wife or girlfriend, today was all about showing them just how much you appreciate them. It was a day of joy for the female community...and a day of stress and horror for the males.

Currently, Flash, Iron, Lightning, Soarin, Wild, Mac, Springer and Rogue were all sitting around a large table. Six out of the eight of them were stressing out, Flash groaning as he stared at a long list, "Okay...we've all got the flowers, chocolates and we've made plans to dine at restaurants that suit each of their different tastes."

"At least that last one's easy," Soarin laughed, "Rainbow loves pizza, and most of the places in Cloudsdale will be empty since everypony else is trying to get someplace fancy."

"Tell me about it," Lightning moaned, "I'm gonna have to make a reservation for next year while I'm there. It was a miracle they had a cancellation."

Iron chuckled at this, "Well Fluttershy's not big on going out to fancy places like that. I managed to get her animal friends to agree to help cook a fancy dinner in her own home."

"Augh!" Flash yelled while banging his head into the table. "This is so nuts. It's bad enough we have to do all this on Hearts and Hooves day. Why do mares get their own special holiday? Where's Stallion's Day?!"

Springer let out a guffaw, "Well, since most mares do stuff like this each day every day, I think they're entitled to one day of the year where they get to be the center of attention." The ponies, minus Rogue, all turned to glare at him. "I'm just saying."

"Well see if you say that when you finally get a lady friend," Iron grumbled, Springer now glaring back at him.

"You know that's not gonna happen, right?"

"Serves you right then." Iron replied while sticking his tongue out.

"Why you-"

"Anyways!" Lightning interrupted, "Let's get back on topic. After all, this isn't just going to be a Mares Day dinner Rarity and I are having. It's also a celebration of her getting chosen to be featured in the Best Manes in Equestria article of Vanity Mare that Photo Finish is running. She'll probably end up being the cover mare."

"Is that such a good idea?" Flash asked, "I mean, remember what happened the last time Rarity was in a piece of publication?" They all shuddered, remembering the horrors that had occurred after the Friendship Journal was published.

"This'll be different," Lightning responded while waving his hoof, "This'll just be a bunch of pictures and a small article about her secrets on how she gets her mane looking so good. Nothing personal is going to be part of it."

"If you're sure," Flash mumbled, "Just as long as you're okay with a hundred other ponies leering at your girlfriend." Lightning raised an eyebrow at this, Flash giving him a deadpan stare, "You realize it won't just be mares that'll be looking at this magazine, right?"

Lightning blinked at him, only to go wide-eyed, "Oh..." he slowly whispered. "That's...yeah, I'm gonna need to do something about that, aren't I?"

"Like what?" Springer asked, "Buy every copy in Equestria and keep them hidden so nopony can see?"

They all turned to Lightning at this, only to see him shake his head, "I'll think of something. I gotta go on patrol."

"I'll go with," Wild stood up, "I promised Pinkie I'd give the twins a special show to celebrate their sneeze-aversary." The others wanted to ask what that was, but decided against it a second later.

And as the duo headed into town, they passed by a flower shop and found it buzzing with activity. "For your mane, I'd go with cobalt blue." Rose handed a mare a bouquet of flowers, the mare smiling and walking off while a stallion stepped up and showed them a picture. "Ah. She looks like she would benefit from yellow daisies." She picked up another bouquet of flowers, the stallion taking it and running off. "Next."

The pair continued down the street, passing a nearby fan shop that seemed to have a lot more customers then they usually noticed. Many were hanging out in the front, staring at a window display. The two stopped and saw a manikin with a long mane and tail that was flowing in the wind caused by a fan, the ponies around them all looking amazed at this.

"Huh," Lightning chuckled, "I bet I can guess who came up with that display."

"Who?" Wild asked while his puppets repeated the question several times.

"Who else?" Lightning asked, "Who's the one pony that has such an eye for fashion that she can make even the simplest of stores look eye catching?"

Wild tilted his head at this and replied, "Derpy?" Lightning glared back at him, Wild laughing at the sight, "Oh come on, I'm just yanking your cape. Of course Rarity would come up with that." The puppets all replied with 'of course, of course' as he spun around, "And speak of the mare."

Lightning turned to see Rarity walk out of the quill and sofa store. "Thank you darling," she said to the store owner, Davenport. "I'll be back tomorrow to pick up my order." The owner nodded and went back in as Rarity turned and saw her boyfriend, "Hello boys." She flicked her mane back, "You're both looking like you've been stressing about something." She put a hoof on her chin, "Working on preparations for a certain holiday?" She gave them a knowing look, Lightning more than Wild.

"Oh?" Lightning looked coy, "Is there a holiday coming up? I'd completely forgotten." Rarity mirrored Lightning's coy smile before turning to walk off.

"Well I hope you can come up with something fast, or you might not have a girlfriend to enjoy it with." Lightning knew she was joking, the stallion smirking as they headed to Sugarcube Corner. Rarity took a brush out of...Lightning didn't know where, and started brushing her mane as they arrived at the store. "Pinkie?" She asked once inside. "I need to put Photo Finish in a good mood, and nothing creates a better mood than your confecti-" She stopped as the boys reached the store, "Oh? Am I interrupting something?"

They now saw that the place was covered in streamers and confetti, the Cake Twins sitting on the floor with a pair of cupcakes and a burning candle. Pinkie then appeared with a cheer, "We were just celebrating the anniversary of the twins' first sneezes!" With that, she pulled out an accordion and started playing, Wild's puppets singing it along with her, with the twins obviously enjoying it. "Happy sneeze-versary!" She finished before pulling out a can. "Achoo, achoo, achooooooo!" Every time she said that, she pressed the can's top and unleashed a long yellow string.

Wild and Lightning all pulled their heads out of the store, just in time to avoid getting covered in the sticky stuff. And when the sound of the spray ceased, the two glanced back in and saw the entire room was covered in the silly, sticky string. This included Pinkie, the twins, Wild's puppets, and a very upset Rarity.

"Congratulations..." she hissed at Pinkie. Had the twins not been there, Lightning was sure she wouldn't be acting as calm. She took out a mirror next, now seeing that her mane and tail were the only things covered in the string. She growled and tried to pull it out with her brush, but all that happened was the brush getting struck to her mane. "Ah!" She turned to the culprit. "Pinkie! I can't have Photo Finish shoot my mane like this! And this party string won't come off!"

"Oh, that's because it's not just party string. It's super-sticky celebration string!" Rarity lowered her mirror at this, a low growl escaping her throat, Pinkie doing a slight gulp at this, "Sorry. I guess my sneeze-aversary was a little too sneeze-abratory." She let out a tiny giggle, Wild turning to see the twins playing in the string. They threw their cupcakes around and room and both jumped around one another until Pumpkin jumped on top of Pound.

Rarity let out a shuddering sigh, "It'll be fine, Pinkie. I'll find a way to clean this up before the shoot tomorrow." She let out a whimper before noticing the twins. "Actually, you might consider doing the same." She pointed at the twins and Pinkie ran over to them, seeing they were both stuck to one another and the floor.

"That can't be good," Lightning gulped as Pinkie tried everything she could to un-stick the foals, Wild also trying with his magic.

"I've heard of twins being joined at the hip," he moaned, "But this is ridiculous."

"Ridiculous, ridiculous." The puppets flew around, two of them accidently crashing into one another and sticking together as well.

Pinkie put a hoof to her chin, "If only we had some kind of super-sudsy mane conditioning shampoo for you and a magical cleaning remover potion for me."

She shrugged before taking out a crowbar and jamming it under the twins, while Rarity let out a gasp. "That's it!" Pinkie pushed down one the crowbar, but the twins remained cemented to the ground. "We'll pay a visit to Zecora! She's a wonder with a cauldron." Wild helped push down on the bar, "I'm sure she can mix up a fix for both of us." As she said that, the string finally gave out and the twins were thrown upward, Wild and Lightning quickly catching them in their magic before they could land on Pinkie.

"That's good, because it would take forever to yank all of those baked goods out of the super-sticky celebration string." She pointed to the boxes on the counter, full of cupcakes that were covered in the string. The unicorns all stared at them, then turned to Pinkie.

"I...think you may still have some baking to do."

Pinkie let out a moan, "Alright. Should we get going?"

"I'll stay here," Wild replied, "Keep these two from getting struck again." He took Pumpkin from Lightning's magic and Pinkie gave him a kiss on the cheek while Lightning turned to Rarity.

"Want me to come with? The forests can be dangerous on your own."

"No no," Rarity shook her head, "You still have your rounds to do. Besides, Zecora doesn't live too deep in the Everfree. We'll just head in, get the potions and get out before anything happens."

"Well if you're sure," Lightning responded, Rarity giving him a kiss on the cheek back...only for part of her mane to become plastered to his coat. The pair looked down at it and chuckled before Lightning teleported himself a few feet away, severing the silly string connecting them. Pinkie and Rarity quickly walked out of the bakery next, Lightning heading out as well to finish his rounds while Wild picked up Pinkie's crowbar and tried to separate his two fused puppets. It took about ten minutes, not helped by the twins constantly trying to stick themselves back together, but eventually he managed to pry the two apart without any damage.

"I don't know what Pinkie used to make this stuff, but she seriously needs to patent it. This stuff is better than most industrial adhesives." He spent the next hour doing everything he could to get everything that was stuck down to the ground off. As he did this, he was glad the Cakes were in Canterlot catering a wedding. They wouldn't be back until the day after tomorrow, which should hopefully be long enough for them to get the place looking spick and span.

But as he worked, Sweetie Belle stepped into the bakery. "Hey Pinkie!" She called out, only to stop when she saw that Pinkie wasn't there...and the state that the shop. "Wow...what happened?"

"Minor party mishap," Wild replied as he tried to get the cash register to open despite the string covering it. "Sorry, but the baked goods are a little...contaminated."

"I can see that," Sweetie nodded, "Is Rarity here? Somepony said they saw her come this way."

"She was. But then she went to see Zecora with Pinkie."

"I'm back!" Pinkie suddenly appeared while bouncing into the room seventy minutes later. "And armed with the best remover potion Zecora has to offer!" She showed them all a bottle of blue liquid.

"Great," Wild replied as he put the twins down. "Then let's get this place cleaned up. Is Rarity with you?"

"She already headed home with her shampoo," Pinkie responded, Sweetie nodding at this and leaving as well. And as she left, Pinkie grabbed some cloths and gave one to Wild. "You ready?"

Wild nodded, "Let's do this."

Pinkie nodded and removed the cap covering the bottle, then carefully dripped a few drops onto each of their rags. "Zecora says it would only take a few drops, but I figured we should all chip in. Just in case!" Once they were all loaded with the remover potion, Pinkie turned to the cupcake box Wild had placed on the floor. She started scrubbing the cupcakes, turning back to the twins. "Remember to only focus on the party string. We don't wanna accidentally remove anything else."

The twins turned to one another and started scrubbing their sibling, laughing as bubbles started covering them.

Wild started scrubbing his puppets, also noticing the bubbles that appeared. "Ooh!" He heard Pinkie say, "Sudsy!" She giggled, the three continuing to scrub harder and harder.

"This is wild!" The stallion exclaimed as he scrubbed the red puppet harder, "Didn't think remover potion would be this bubbly." But no matter how hard he scrubbed, the celebration string wouldn't come off. "This stuff isn't very good."

"It probably needs some time to soak into the string," Pinkie replied, "If we keep at it, I'm sure it'll come off eventually." Wild nodded and continued to scrub, though the string still refused to move. Then, he noticed the bubbles the potion was creating was quickly spreading, along with Pinkie's and the twin's. Within minutes, the entire room was full of bubbles.

"If this doesn't get rid of this party string, nothing will."


Sweetie was now happily trotting through the town toward Carousel Boutique, singing a small song to herself, only to be halted by the sound...of utter horror.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The ground itself shook by the scream, Sweetie's eyes going wide as she ran into the building, "RARITY?!" She called out, throwing the door open, only to see nothing. "Rarity?" She then heard more cries coming from upstairs, quickly running up and finding the sound coming from the bathroom, "Rarity?"

"DON'T COME IN HERE!" Her sister screamed, stopping Sweetie from opening the door.

"What happened?" She asked, "Do I need to go get Lightning?"

"NO!" Rarity screeched, "You can't let him see me like this!"

"Like what? What happened?" Sweetie added, falling onto her flank in front of the door. And after a few seconds, Rarity's grip on the door vanished and it opened, Sweetie gasping at a truly horrible sight.

Rarity was...bald. Well, almost. She still had a few long strands sticking off her head, along with her tail, but it was a far cry from the normally gorgeous locks of hair that her sister was usually seen with. "Wh-wh-what happened?!"

"I don't know!" Rarity burst out into tears, looking back at the mirror to see her destroyed mane. "I was washing my hair with one of Zecora's potions and...this happened!"

"Wow...she's really losing her edge." Sweetie slowly said, only to turn to a nearby room. There she saw a dark cloak that Rarity had started working on the previous day before Photo Finish had contacted her. It was meant to have a bunch of different patterns on it, but Rarity had only finished the base. She quickly grabbed it in her magic and threw it over her sister, fastening the clip before pulling the hood up over her head.

"Better?" Rarity turned to glare at her sister, "I'm just trying to help."

"I...know. Sorry." Rarity slowly replied.

"So...what are you gonna do?"

"I need to get to Zecora!" Rarity exclaimed before running out the room, "She must know what went wrong and how to fix it!" She trotted down the stairs, Sweetie following after her. But as she reached the bottom, she noticed Lightning through the window. "Oh no!" Rarity quickly leapt into one of her changing rooms, Sweetie raising an eyebrow at this before Lighting walked through the door.

"Hey squirt!" Sweetie turned to him, "You seen your sister anywhere?"

Sweetie stared at Lightning for a second, the fact that Rarity was dating Lightning just now entering her brain before she shook her head, "Nope." Sweetie slowly backpedaled into the front of the curtain. "I think we both just missed her. Her shower looks like it was just used, so I think she went out to do something after that."

Lightning showed a glum frown at this, "Huh. Hope she got that silly string off of her," he let out a chuckle, "You should have seen her mane earlier. She looked ready to have a panic attack from the mess it was. Can you imagine?"

"Better...than you think," Sweetie whispered while hearing a whimper from the room behind her.

"She's probably getting things ready for the photo session tomorrow," Lightning spun around and headed for the door, "I'll probably see her on my patrol. Later squirt." With that, he was gone and Sweetie quickly closed the doors and drew the curtains before Rarity came out.

"Thank you Sweetie."

"No problem."

"I cannot, ever, allow Lightning to see me like this." She took a deep breath, "I have to get to Zecora and find a way to fix this." With that, she trotted to the door and carefully cracked it open. Glancing out through the gap, she saw nopony was watching and quickly ran out, leaving a standing Sweetie Belle.

"Good luck. Hope Zecora can help you."


Two hours later...

Flash and Springer were heading back home, the pegasus having been stressing all this time over Mare's Day preparations. Flash had a bouquet and a box of chocolates in hoof, Springer promising to keep them in his room until the day. "Alright, we gotta hurry so Twilight doesn't see them."

"Got it," Springer nodded as they walked up to the castle, only to see something walk up in front of them. It was a cloaked figure at the castle's front door.

"That can't be good." Flash thrust the flowers and chocolate into Springer's arms and took flight while Springer looked back at the figure and tried to connect with their aura. When he did this, his eyes went wide.

"Flash!" He called out, "Wait!"

But it was too late as Flash flew down and the stranger said, "Twilight! I need-AUGH!" The defender collided with her, now recognizing her voice. "FLASH! What are you doing?!"

"Rarity?" Flash asked as he quickly hopped off her. The hooded Rarity picked herself up and dusted herself off as the knight stared at her, "Why are you wearing that and sneaking around?"

In that moment, Twilight, Starlight and Soul ran into the room. "What's going on?!"

"Flash!" Springer added as he ran through the doors, "That's Rarity."

"Yeah...kinda figured that out." He then saw Twilight stare at the gifts in Springer's arms, sighing as he knew the secret was out. "And I mess that up too. Great." Flash groaned before taking them from Springer and turning back to Twilight, "Happy Mare's Day." Twilight raised an eyebrow and took them in her magic.

"Um...thank you Flash." Twilight replied before leaning in and kissing his cheek. She then teleported the gifts away as she turned back to Rarity, "Now...Rarity, why are you dressed like that?"

Rarity let out a sigh, asking if they could go somewhere more comfortable that was less likely to be walked into.

One long explanation later...

"I can't believe how differently ponies treat you when you can't command their attention," Rarity moaned once she had completed her story.

"Are you sure that's what happened?" Twilight asked, Rarity nodding with a sigh as she tried to hide herself by being absorbed by Twilight's library couch.

"It's bad enough I almost ran into Lightning six times while I was doing my errands. How is it the one pony I don't want to notice me keeps showing up?! I had to jump into a barrel at one point to keep him from noticing me!"

"Ouch," Springer gulped, "But is it really so bad if he sees you like this. I mean, should he really care what you look like?"

"YES!" Rarity exclaimed, "Do you not know who I'm dating?! Lightning grew up in Canterlot, surrounded by high noble mares. Of course he's going to want to only be with a mare that looks amazing!"

"I would agree with you if we were talking about the old Lightning," Flash replied, "But he's changed. I don't think he's that conceited anymore...probably." Flash crossed his hooves in thought, "Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time he talked about Canterlot...unless its about Solid Script."

"Well I can't risk it!" Rarity barked, "At least...until I find a way to fix this," She pointed to her covered head. "I refuse to let Lightning see me. Now I just need to find a way to get ponies to notice me again."

"Wait..." Starlight raised an eyebrow, "You can't command ponies' attention because your mane's messed up?" Flash and Twilight shook their heads, but it was too late. Rarity lifted her head and glared at the unicorn.

"Messed up?!" She pulled the hood back and used a nearby lamp to illuminate behind her, "Does this look messed up to you?!" The five finally got a good look at her destroyed mane and gasped, making Rarity scream, "Honestly! How hard is it to pretend it's not so bad?!"

"Um...really hard?" Starlight slowly responded.

"Maybe you should try and keep yourself from being seen by Lightning," Springer added, Rarity glaring at him next before tearing up. Seeing this, Flash and Soul nudged Springer in the side and gave him a look that said 'shut up.'

Rarity pulled on a piece of her destroyed mane. "If today is any indication of how ponies will treat me from now on, I can't simply wait to see if my mane grows back!" She pulled the hood over her head and curled up so only her cloak was visible on the chair.

Everypony shared a glance, Twilight walking over and placing a hoof on her friend's back. "I'm sorry Rarity. I'm sure nopony means to make you feel worse than you already do."

"Didn't you say Zecora was working on a cure?" Starlight asked, Rarity lifting her head so her eyes could be seen through a small gap of the hood.

"Yes well, even if everypony isn't utterly indifferent to my presence..." She sat up properly and pulled her hood down again, "Zecora might not be able to fix this in time for the shoot." It was here that she sunk to the floor and wrapped her front hooves around Twilight's. "Can't you do a spell to restore some semblance of my mane?!"

Twilight and Starlight shared another glance before responding, "The thing is, it's pretty much like Zecora said. Fixing manes with magic is-"

"TRICKY!" Rarity screamed, the group jumping back at this, "I know! I don't care! Make with the tricks!"

Her eyes twitched at this, Starlight turning to Twilight. "Alright..." the princess sighed as her horn began to glow. A beam of magic struck Rarity, the head being consumed by light before fading to look like a do that belonged to a Crystal Pony. But as this appeared, the rock-like hair began to crack and crumble before completely breaking apart to reveal her destroyed hair.

"Well that didn't work," Springer commented, only to get nudged again.

"Maybe you try something else." Flash turned to Soul, "Your magic is meant to heal stuff, right? Do you think it could heal Rarity's mane?" Rarity quickly spun around to Soul, giving her a pleading look.

The filly twiddled her hooves at this, "Um...I can try. But ever since I first unlocked my magic, it hasn't been as powerful as back then. It was Faust that gave me the power boost I needed to save everypony."

"Well I'm not asking you to heal a hundred manes at once!" Rarity pointed to her head, "Just one little mane. You can do that." Soul gulped, but took a deep breath and sparked her horn. She unleashed a wave of golden light, which struck Rarity's head and caused her mane to glow. Everypony stared at this for a second, only to see the few remaining strands of her mane simply stay where they were.

Soul eventually stopped and sighed. "I'm sorry Rarity. My magic isn't designed for targeting hair. On the bright side, if you had any scratches or bumps, I probably cured those."

Rarity's body shook at this, wanting to retort, but knew she shouldn't yell at the filly. That is, till Starlight fired a blast of magic at her. It struck Rarity and in a flash, she suddenly had a new mane...made entirely of wood. A random woodpecker flew into the room and gave her new do and few eager taps before leaving again, Twilight following to let it out, only to notice an unusual hole in her library's wooden door.

"This won't do!" Rarity cried as she slumped against a table. "I need an actual mane!"

"But it has to come from somewhere," Starlight replied.

"She's right," Twilight trotted over to Rarity, "You can't just make a mane with magic. The results could be disastrous."

Rarity looked up and glared at Twilight, "More disastrous than this?!" She slammed her head on the table, causing the wood mane to fly off and reveal the horrors hidden beneath.

"Well...since it's part of a living thing, magic can't create it out of nothing. Only somepony like Faust has that kind of power, and I doubt she would be willing to help with something as arbitrary as this."

"Arbitrary?!" Rarity screeched.

"It's too bad we can't find a way to magically duplicate her," Flash chimed in, "Then the duplicate could do everything Rarity needs to do until we can fix her mane."

Rarity's eyes sparkled at this. "That's brilliant! I need to find the Mirror Pool!" The others went wide-eyed, only to see Rarity sigh, "No, that won't work." She leaned against the table. "All that'd do is make another horribly maned me."

"What about an illusion?" Soul asked, the others turning to her. "I mean, couldn't we make a glamor for her to wear until her mane comes back? That way she could pretend she still had her normal mane and tail."

Their eyes went wide hearing this, Twilight smiling at her student. "That's it!" She ran over to hug her, "Soul, you're a genius!" She looked back at Rarity and sparked her horn. She fired a beam at the mare, the unicorn gasping as she was consumed by light again before it faded to reveal her formerly beautiful self.

Rarity looked up and saw her mane and tail back to perfect working order, "I'm back!" She looked ready to tear up, only for her mane and tail to start flickering in and out of existence before vanishing completely. "What happened?!"

"I cut power to the spell," Twilight responded, "I can't constantly be casting it until your mane grows back." Rarity frowned at this, only for Twilight to continue, "But we can infuse a gemstone with the illusion and enough energy to keep it going for a good while."

"Great!" Rarity cheered, "How long until you can get it working?"

"Well..." Twilight started doing the calculations in her head. "If Starlight and I start working on it now and don't take any breaks...I think we can have it ready in two-"

"Hours?" Rarity asked with hopeful eyes.

"Days." Rarity's face fell at this.

"Days?! But the photo shoot's tomorrow!"

Twilight showed a frown at this, "I'm sorry Rarity, but enchanting gemstones isn't easy. One mistake and you could look even worse than you do now."

Rarity looked ready to start screaming, only for the door of the library to open up and reveal Zecora. "At last Rarity, I have searched for so long! What I told you before was totally wrong!"

"Zecora!" Twilight clapped her hooves, "You found a cure? That's amazing!"

Rarity let out a sigh of relief. "You mean I'll get my fabulous mane back in time for the shoot?" She gave the zebra a hug, but the face Zecora gave in response was enough to tell the others it wasn't that simple.

"Oh," she pushed her away, "No. I'm afraid I can't fix it before the big shoot." She then squinted her eyes at Rarity's head, "But in time, the hair will grow back from the root." Rarity shrunk at this, pulling her hood back up. "There's no magical cure to hasten us through it, unless you went back in time to undo it."

Hearing this, Rarity gasped and turned to the two ponies best known for travelling through time. "NO!" Starlight instantly cut in, "I'll say for both of us that that is NOT a good idea." Rarity's eye shrunk before curling herself up and crying into the floor, Twilight patting her on the back.

"I'm sorry. But I promise we'll get to work on the glamor gem right away."

"Not that it matters," Rarity sniffed. "By the time it's done, my life will already be ruined."

The others all frowned at her, only for Springer to let out a gasp, "I just sensed Lightning! He's coming up the path!" Rarity gasped at hearing this, turning to Twilight.

"Teleport me back to my shop! PLEASE!" Twilight didn't ask and quickly sparked her horn, the two vanishing in a flash. With them gone, Flash and Springer quickly left the room, arriving at the front door just as Lightning was about to knock.

"Oh hey," Flash slowly said, "What's up? Need something?"

"You seen Rarity around?" Lightning asked, "She's been missing all day."

"Rarity?" Flash pretended to think, "Rarity..." He turned to Springer, "You seen Rarity today?" Springer shook his head, "Nope. Sorry, can't say I have."

"Great..." Lightning groaned, "Why do I get the feeling she's avoiding me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Its just...I can't find her anywhere!" Lightning exclaimed, "Its like she vanished from Ponyville!"

"I doubt it," Flash replied, "Maybe she's...at the spa. You know Rarity, the spa's like a second home to her. And since she has that big shoot tomorrow..."

Lightning put a hoof to his chin, "Hmm...I guess. Can't believe I didn't think to check there myself." He turned to leave, causing Flash and Springer to sigh in relief. But Lightning heard this and spun around, the pair quickly straightening up and giving him a smile. He raised an eyebrow, but they didn't say anything until he walked off.

Flash quickly closed the door and sighed again, "That was too close." There was a flash of light and Twilight appeared behind him, "He's heading to the spa. That should give Rarity...some time to come up with a plan."

"I need to get to work on that illusion gem," Twilight replied, "In the mean time, could you try and get Rainbow, Applejack and Fluttershy? Maybe they can help Rarity."

"Got it." Flash responded before taking off, Springer hopping on his back.

"Good." Twilight closed the doors of the castle before spinning around and shaking her head, "Why do I get the feeling this is gonna get worse?"


Lightning quickly arrived at the spa and talked to Aloe. "I'm sorry," she said in her accented voice. "But we haven't seen Miss Rarity all day."

"Augh," Lightning groaned, "This is getting ridiculous! Are you sure you haven't seen her at all today?" And as Aloe replied, Rainbow, Applejack and Fluttershy walked past the shop, all noticing him and running away before he could see them.

He let out a sigh and trotted out the store, not even paying attention to where he went as he marched through the town. "Lightning?" He looked up to see Grand walking up to him, "Are you okay? You're looking...I wanna say either upset or annoyed."

"A bit of both," the unicorn sighed. "I don't suppose you've seen Rarity around, have you?"

Grand put a hoof to his chin, "I did notice her coming out of the forest, though that's only because I had to do a double take when I noticed how messed up her mane and tail were."

"Yeah," Lightning nodded, "She fell pray to a rather sticky Pinkie incident. But she's probably fixed that by now. I wanted to make sure she was alright after that, but I haven't been able to find her. She wasn't at her house or the spa...and she must have done her errands by now, so where the heck could she be?"

"Sorry kid, can't help ya. Maybe you can ask Springer to locate her." The unicorn blinked at this, only to facehoof. The sight made Grand laugh, "Don't worry lad. I'm sure she'll show up eventually. She's not exactly one to lay low." Lightning let out another sigh, making Grand sling a hoof around his shoulders, "Heh...you remind me of...well me. When your grandmother and I first started courting, that is."

"Courting?" Lightning raised an eyebrow at this, "What, did you two enjoy a good game of tennis every now and then?" Grand rolled his eyes at this as the pair began to walk through town. "Say...what was grandma like? Dad told me stories of her amazing scientific skills and how I inherited my talent for electrical magic from her...but nothing really else."

"That's cause...well, let's just say your mother filled the hole Live left for Doom." Grand replied, only for Lightning to see a blush instantly appear on his grandpa's face, "She was a strong mare. Smart and stubborn. When things got hard for me, she was the one that helped me get back up whenever I fell. She was a truly amazing mare...but she could also be annoying, hard-headed and very snarky. And when she decided something, she would do everything in her power to see it through. I guess you could say it was her fatal flaw. Hubris. She thought she could fix everything."

"Could she?"

Grand shrugged, "It depends. When she saw something that wasn't working right, she couldn't leave it alone. Any damaged piece of machinery she found, she would spend sleepless nights making it work. And when she found something that refused to become as good as new, she would so stress out. Like, go crazy for days."

"Wow." Lightning responded while glancing away, remembering back to his colt days, "You know...pops was like that at times. Think he got it from her?"

"Probably." Grand sighed, "But thankfully, Live learned an important lesson thanks to a grandfather clock."

"A grandfather clock?"

Grand nodded, "She found it at a dump and it had every single part it needed, though most were old and broken. She spent a month trying to get it back to pristine condition, but it just wouldn't work. She got so upset that she almost took an axe to the thing...but then she had an idea."

As he was saying this, Applejack and a cloaked Rarity walked behind them. Seeing the two ahead of them, Rarity grabbed a nearby bush in her magic and ripped it out of the ground to in front of her just as Lightning did a casual glance backward.

"So what did she do?" He asked, looking back at Grand while the bush slowly scuttled away.

"Well, instead of making it the way it was, she decided to work with what she had and made something new. Two weeks later, our house had a new cuckoo clock hanging from our wall. Since then, whenever she couldn't fix something, she would try and save what she could and make something new out of it."

"Huh..." Lightning hummed, "So sometimes it's best to focus on what you can do and not what you want to do, right?" Grand nodded, Lightning smiling as he let this information about his grandmother sink in. Oh, how he wished he could have met her.

"Still gonna look for Rarity?" Grand asked, getting a nod from Lightning. "Well, maybe she went to see Applejack, or Rainbow or Fluttershy."

"Good idea. I'll check Sweet Apple Acres first."

"Alright. See ya later kiddo."

The two separated at this, the defender slowly walking up to the farm. There he saw Big Mac and Sugar Belle, the unicorn waving to them, "Hey! I don't suppose you've seen Rarity anywhere?"

"Oh yes," Sugar Belle nodded as Mac grimaced. "She was with Applejack. They're-ow." She turned to Mac, who had just kicked her shin.

"In the orchard," he pointed to a field in the opposite direction to the farmhouse, "Eeyup." Lightning raised an eyebrow at this, but knew Mac wasn't one to lie. And as he walked away, he could hear Mac and Sugar Belle discussing something but tuned them out, not one for eavesdropping on a couple's conversation.

He marched through the orchard and called out for Rarity, but the mare didn't respond. There he saw three golden apple trees, Rogue was hanging from one of the branches and snacking down on his life saving treat. "Hey!" He called out, "You see Rarity anywhere?"

"I saw her with Applejack earlier," he replied, "They were heading for the farmhouse."

"Huh?" Lightning raised an eyebrow, "Mac said they were heading this way." Rogue raised an eyebrow himself, knowing very well that Applejack and Rarity had headed straight from the entrance to the farmhouse to go see Granny Smith. If Mac had told Lightning something different, it must have been for a very good reason.

"Yeah. I just saw them heading to the farmhouse...from here." Lightning sighed, then sparked his horn and vanished, leaving Rogue to just stare at the spot Lightning had been. "Uh-oh...hope this isn't some kind of headache later for me."


Lightning arrived at the farmhouse in a flash, Granny Smith leaping into the air. "Clan sakes!" She cried, glaring at Lightning. "Wotcha think yer doing, scaring the he-bees outta me?!"

"Sorry," Lightning responded, only to see Granny Smith had a head of golden hair under a bonnet. "Nice hat."

"Heh..." Granny flicked it around, "Yer lady friend seemed ta like it too."

"Where is she?" He asked, "I'm getting really sick of this game of hide and seek."

"Oh?" Granny replied while raising an eyebrow, "Ah don't rightly know. Ah think she's heading to one of her friends, but don't know which one."

Lightning sighed at this, rubbing his face, "Forget it. I'm just gonna go back to her house and wait for her there." Before Granny could say anything, he sparked his horn and teleported away and appeared outside Carousal Boutique. He tried to door, but it was locked, though Rarity had given him a key. Once inside, he went to the kitchen and made himself a cup of coffee, knowing he needed a pick me up after today. He spent a good hour sitting in the kitchen, enjoying his drink as he waited and waited...

But then the doors of the boutique flew open, the sound of crying filling the air as Lightning quickly got up and putting his mug down. "Rarity?" He asked, hearing a gasp before hearing hoofsteps rushing upstairs. He followed, but she was already at the top when he started. And halfway up, he heard her door slam shut. "Rarity!" He reached the door to pulled on its doorknob, but it was locked. "Rarity, let me in."

"Go away!"

"What's wrong?" He asked, "Come on. If you don't tell me what's up, I can't help."

"You can't help even if you knew! Nopony can!" She screamed, only for the sound of more crying to come next, "Please, just leave me alone. I don't want you to see me like this."

"Like what? Did Zecora not have a way to get the silly string out of your mane?" Rarity didn't answer at this, "Come on Rarity...I've been trying to find you all day long cuz I'm been worried." This was responded by more sobs, making him sigh, "Rarity...I just want to help." He slumped down on the side of the door, only to hear another sob. The sound made him spark his horn, "Alright, I'm coming in!"

"NO!" Rarity screamed, but it was too late. In a flash, he teleported to the other side of the door. But as he did this, he found he couldn't see any sign of Rarity, only to notice a black piece of fabric sticking out from under her bed.

"Rarity?" He laid down and pulled the quilt up to reveal the underside, where he spotted a shaking figure covered in a black sheet. "What's going on?"

"Please...don't look at me."

"Just tell me why," he barked back, sitting down with crossed hooves. He waited several seconds, but she didn't respond. "Come on. Is this something about the shoot? Did something happen to it?"

"I cancelled it." she squeaked.

Lightning's eyes went wide at this, "Why? You were so excited about it."

"Because I can't be a part of the most beautiful manes in Equestria...when I don't have a beautiful mane."

Lightning's eyes went wide at this, only to lean down to her level, "What happened?"

"I...I accidently used remover potion instead of shampoo," she whimpered out from under the cloak. "My beautiful mane is gone. It'll regrow, but not for a while. So I had to cancel the shoot."

"I see," Lightning frowned, "I'm sorry." Rarity didn't reply, still keeping her hooves clenching to the cloak, "But why don't you want me to see you? I don't care if you mane is messed up."

"Don't be silly," she whispered, "Of course you do. What stallion would want to date a mare with terrible hair? Admit it, the only reason you liked me was because I was beautiful!"

Lightning blinked at her statement, now remembering when he first met her back in his more obnoxious days. Back then, he was all about a mare's beauty, not caring about anything they did...it was all about the looks in his eyes, including Rarity. He glanced down at this and sighed, "Yeah...you're right. Back then, I was only attracted to your looks."

Rarity's tears came back as she cried into the cloak, "See?! Now please, I don't want you to see me this way! If this is how our relationship ends, I at least want to be remembered as what I was and not this abomination."

"Rarity..." Lightning sighed and shook his head, "I'm not gonna break up with you. Even if your mane is a mess."

"You just said you only liked me for my looks!"

"At the start." Lightning replied, Rarity feeling herself shake for a second. Lightning slumped down as he kept talking, "I'll admit your beauty was all I saw when we first met, but...but that's not why I fell in love with you." Rarity's cries stopped at this, her eyes now going wide, "I...I fell in love with you because of your kindness. Your generosity. You were willing to forget about all the terrible things I did and let me prove I wasn't that stallion anymore. For Celestia's sake, you leapt onto my head and risked getting electrocuted when I was a dragon. What kind of pony would I be if I was willing to throw something like that away just because of how you look?!"

Rarity remained silent for a moment, then pulled herself out from under the bed. Lightning backpedaled at this, allowing her to stand tall. Her hood was still up, but Lightning could finally see her eyes. "You...you love me?" Lightning flinched at this, just now noticing that he had said that. And it was the first time he had actually said it...but he knew he meant it.

Lightning nodded and reached up to the hood, only to stop when Rarity pulled back. "Do you love me enough to trust me?" Lightning asked, Rarity remaining silent, as if contemplating how she felt about Lightning. And after a moment, she leaned her head forward and allowed Lightning to grab the hood and pull it back.

Lightning had been expecting it to be bad, but what he saw still made him react. "I told you," she sighed. "I look terrible. I know you won't want to be seen with me like-" She didn't get to finish as Lightning leaned up and kissed her. She went wide-eyed at this, only to close her eyes as she kissed back.

They stayed like this for several minutes, the kisses getting rather heated until they had to pull back for air. Lightning chuckled at this, "You look beautiful." Rarity's eyes filled with tears again, only to lean up and put her head into Lightning's chest, the pair hugging next.

They stayed like this for a while, unsure how long it was before Lightning asked, "Alright. Be honest. Have you been avoiding me all day?"

Rarity blushed and dug her head into his chest, "Yes. I'm sorry."

"It's okay." He pulled back, "I'm sure this must be hard for you."

Rarity nodded at this, "Today was awful. Zecora couldn't fix it, and when I tried to get everything I needed for the shoot, it was like I was invisible. Nopony would even acknowledge me." He then saw Rarity slump down at this, "I...I lost what made me stand out."

"That's not true," Lightning responded, about to go into another long speech, only for the sound of knocking to ring out in the building. They shared a glance, soon walking down the stairs as the main door opened.

"Rarity?" Flash's voice called out, "you in here?"

"I'm here darling," Rarity told him as the pair reached the bottom. The saw Flash, Twilight, Starlight, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Applejack and Springer, all gasping as they saw Lightning with her.

"Lightning..." Flash said slowly, "You're here...with Rarity." Lightning frowned, "So...what happened?"

Rarity glanced away at this, "It appears I didn't have much faith in Lightning. But..." she wrapped a hoof around his, "He's not upset." Lightning shook his head in agreement. "Though it doesn't exactly help me right now." She trotted over to one of her sofas, "My hopes of being in Vanity Mare are up in smoke."

"Come on Rarity," Applejack groaned, "Ya'll have done just about enough sulkin'! Havin' a fabulous mane is a wonderful thing, but it ain't the only thing!"

"Yeah!" Rainbow nodded, "And we're here to remind you how awesome you are, mane or no mane!"

Rarity sighed and shook her head, "It's lovely of you to say, but it's hard to argue with cold, hard facts." She pushed her head into the pillow.

"What facts are those?" Fluttershy asked, Rarity pointing to her head in response.

"That without my mane, I simply can't shine as I once did, and ponies treat me like the sad, invisible pony I've become."

Flash had a feeling Rarity was ten seconds away from eating an entire tub of ice cream, something he had seen her do before, only for Twilight to walk up to her, "Rarity, you're not invisible. You're our friend. A friend that started a fashion empire."

"A friend who made us all feel beautiful in her lovely creations," Fluttershy added.

"A friend who stuck by us, no matter what!" Rainbow cheered.

"A friend who put the needs of her friends above her own desires," Flash pointed out.

"A friend so generous that she once chopped off her own tail to help a sea serpent." Applejack's final comment made Rarity sit back up, staring at her friends while Twilight leapt onto the sofa next to her.

"I know you lost some confidence when you lost your mane, but unlike your hair, confidence is something you can get back right now."

The alicorn hugged the unicorn at this, Rarity slowly going wide-eyed, "Goodness," she whispered, "You're right! The only pony behaving differently today was me!"

"Besides," Lightning smirked, "I'm sure there's still something you can do to fix your mane." The others turned to him, "It's like gramps told me earlier. Don't worry about what you can't do, focus on what you can right now." He pointed to Rarity's mane. "I've known ponies with less hair than that and they've been able to make themselves look great no problem."

"Yeah," Flash nodded, "And you're Rarity. You could take anypony, even the most ugliest one, and make them the most stunning creature in Equestria. I mean..." he pointed to her head as well. "If somepony came into your store looking like that, you must have an idea how you could make them look awesome."

Rarity blinked at their words, "Yes..." She stood up, "What doesn't shine from the outside in..." She leapt off the sofa and released a neigh-panese scream, her magic activating and pulling several rolls of fabric and mane die behind her.

"Um...Rarity?" Starlight asked as a pair of spiked cuffs flew past her. "What are you doing?"

"I'm preparing to shine from the inside out!" With that, Rarity trotted out and struck a pose. The group gasped at the sight of her. She was dressed in a purple leather jacket with studs, along with a spiked cuff around her left leg and tail. The most amazing thing was her tail and her hair, which had been styled in a punk fashion and died yellow and green along with some of her purple remains. Her friends continued to stare at her, Rainbow smirking as she broke the silence.

"Awesome!"

Rarity smiled and turned to Lightning. "So..." she flicked her newly styled mane, "What do you think?"

"Uh..." was all Lightning could get out of his mouth. The others snickered at this, Flash nudging his side.

"Dude, you're drooling." Lightning quickly wiped his mouth, only to see Rarity trot up to the door. "Where are you going?"

"I'm taking my new look out for a test run." With that, she strode out of the boutique and the others ran after her, only for Twilight to come to a stop.

"I'll be right back." Before they could ask what she was doing, she teleported away. The others raised an eyebrow at this, only for her to reappear again with another mare besides her.

"What is hap-nin?" Photo Finish asked as she appeared, the others wide-eyed, "I assume this is about Rrrrarity?"


Rarity continued to stride through the town, everypony in town gasping at the sight of her. But it wasn't looks of horror they were giving off, but looks of admiration. The confident stride shocked them as she marched up to the flower stand in the market, finding Filthy Rich returning a bunch of flowers that Spoiled hadn't wanted. Luckily, Rarity's cancelled photo shoot meant she had plenty of flowers to share.

After that, she returned to the fan store and had the owner take down the flowing mane display, instead suggesting her place the fan outside to draw in the hoof traffic. After this, she returned to the sofa store and collected the sofa she had ordered. She smiled after giving the owner the bits, then turned around to see her friends were all resting on other sofas. "Photo shoot or no, you can always use a chaise!"

"Well, Rarity," Applejack jumped off the couch. "if yah wanted to shine from the inside out, ah think this afternoon, ya'll became the brightest filly in Equestria!"

"Oh, pshaw," Rarity scoffed, "Applejack. I'm simply making up for all the time I wasted feeling sorry for myself."

"I don't know why you were so upset," Rainbow added, "Your mane looks awesome!"

"Yeah," Lightning nodded, "Though it might make our Mare's Day plans a little awkward. I don't think mares with this fashion show up at that restaurant very often."

Rarity waved her hoof at him, "Oh, I'm sure I can readjust my look again to better fit the ambience. And if not, we can always find someplace else to celebrate it." Lightning smiled at this as she turned to the others, "I'm just glad I have all of you to remind me that even if I accidentally used magical remover potion on my mane, I can look good on the outside as long as I feel good on the inside."

"How'd you end up using remover potion on your head, anyway?" Twilight asked, Rarity about to reply, only to go wide-eyed and let out a loud gasp.

"PINKIE!" She raced out the door, the others quickly following suit and heading to Sugarcube Corner. "If I had the remover potion this whole time, that means Pinkie must have the-" She didn't get to finish as they reached the bakery and were about to open the door. But before she could, the door flew open and an avalanche of bubbles came crashing down upon them.

"Wheeeeeeee!" Pinkie cheered as Twilight used her magic to protect the rest of them. As the tidal wave came to a stop, she giggled while diving into the bubble mountain that remained.

"Shampoo..." Rarity finished before Pinkie's head popped out.

"Shampoo?" She asked before bobbing her head and making her mane bounce with it. "Wow! That explains why our manes are all so bouncy and soft!" In that moment, Pound, Pumpkin and Wild all climbed out of the bubble pile, all their manes shining.

"Nice look," Lightning laughed.

"Thanks," Wild swept his hoof through his mane, "Maybe I'll get that recipe from Zecora." As he said that, Rarity walked into the bakery and saw that the shampoo may have worked wonders for the four's manes, but it had done nothing to remove the silly string lining the walls.

"Um...perhaps I'll fetch the rest of that remover potion."

"Great!" Pinkie cheered as she leapt into the room, then noticed Rarity's new look. "Hey, is there something different about you?" Rarity smiled and struck a pose, though Pinkie just raised an eyebrow, "New hoof polish?" She frowned and rolled her eyes at this.


Two months after the...little mix-up, the group was now striding through the town. Rarity's mane was once again back to its former glory, many actually amazed it had healed so fast, but the mare was still worried.

"So you're sure?" She asked as they headed through the market. "You're sure it's fully recovered?"

Applejack rolled her eyes, "Yes Rarity, It's been months. Yer mane looks fine."

"Better than fine," Flash chimed in, "You know, my mane wasn't as severally damaged and it took longer than yours did to grow back to its former state." He looked up at it, "In fact, it still isn't like that!"

"That's because you keep cutting it to the style Rarity gave you," Twilight added while rolling her eyes as they passed by a news stand.

"Oooh," Pinkie pointed to the stand, "Look!" She picked up a magazine and showed it to Rarity, "It's the Most Beautiful Manes in Equestria issue of Vanity Mare!" She gave her a coy smile, "You should read it."

"Oh honestly, Pinkie?" She glanced away, "After all I went through...I'm not sure it even matters what mane graces the page-"

"READ IT!" Pinkie yelled, shoving the magazine into Rarity's face. The unicorn pulled it away, only to go wide-eyed as she saw what was on it. The cover pony...was her.

"But I...I cancelled the shoot."

The others smiled at her, Applejack winking at the unicorn. "We had a little talk with Photo Finish."

"And explained just how beautiful we thought you were," Fluttershy continued, "Inside and out." Rarity flicked through the pages until she reached her's and went wide-eyed again. It showed her helping Filthy Rich, the fan owner and even Pinkie in cleaning up the cage.

"While you were shining from the inside out, Photo Finish took a few pictures." Rainbow chuckled, as Rarity saw one picture showing the photo pony hiding in a bush with a bush headpiece, camouflage paint and a camera that appeared to be made of wood.

"She sure loved your look," Flash laughed, "She was tempted to make the whole issue about you, but she realized that it wouldn't have been fair.

Rarity seemed to be on the verge of tears as she hugged the magazine to her chest. "I don't know what to say!"

Applejack smirked and nudged, "Luckily, you don't have to say anything." She pointed to the rest of the ponies around them, "Your style speaks for itself." Everypony in town had styled their hair to look like Rarity's punk form, Rarity smiling at this and pulling them all into a hug.

And off to the side, Lightning had watched all this and smiled. He was happy Rarity was happy, learning that looks weren't everything and still got to be in the magazine she wanted to be part of. Life was good.

Author's Note:

Simple chapter a lot of people wanted to see. Hope you enjoyed it.