• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,022 Views, 11 Comments

The Missing Bard - Kiniro



Sequel to the Guitarist. Another pony knows the song of Ragnarok, could he be the missing legend?

  • ...
1
 11
 1,022

Chapter 12: The Train Home

The Missing Bard

Chapter 12: The Train Home

Its good that train station wasn't too far away from the Canterlot Hospital. The walk to the station was manageable, painful, but manageable. Twilight was leading us, with Fluttershy by her side, and myself lagging behind slightly due to my injuries. Every step I took forward, every muscle moving, or every twitch, sent a rush of pain and agony, but I had to stay strong, once I made it on board the train, I was good, at least until I had to walk home from Ponyville Train Station.

Even with my enthusiasm of making it out of that fight alive. The one question on my mind was, how did that pony by the name of Meadow Song know how to play Ragnarok. Let alone knowing the chord structure, let alone being able to activate the song itself! But a yellow glow of his guitar. I can't say I've ever seen another Bard or Minstrel for that matter from Midgard ever have their guitar glow yellow. Most musicians harnessing basic song magic had either a subtle white aura or a very light teal color, but as far as I knew I was the first who had blue for an aura. But this pony had... yellow? Then that engraving on his guitar, it was so weathered that whatever was inscribed on it, could not be made out. Nothing seemed to add up to me what so ever. How was I going to explain this incident to Twilight and the others, or even the Princesses for that matter.

My thoughts and pondering made the pain go away slightly a it distracted me as we navigated through the train station, eventually boarding the 7:00 evening train back home. As we boarded the car, we were greeted by the by the attendant, but I didn't recognize this one. Yet just like before, Twilight pulled out her parchment with the "royal decree" as it were, but instead got waved in by an attendant that recognized her. The attendant hoping Twilight have a safe and enjoyable trip home, and that the ride home was on the house. I began to wonder if this is just because Twilight was a sociable pony or if it had something to do about her being related to royalty, which I had just found out about. I can't believe I had broken my number one rule from back in Midgard, "Never date anyone related to royalty or someone of great importance." Then again... this wasn't Midgard, and things were working out.

As Twilight made it to our assigned section of the car, she were greeted by our other friends that had gone their separate ways earlier today, with the exception of Rainbow Dash who had flown home. Rarity surrounded by bags of what looked like exotic fabric and fashion booklets. Pinkie Pie, seemingly covered in glitter, streamers and what looked like cake frosting, with a few bags of party favors laying on the ground overturned. Finally Applejack just shaking her head at what appeared to be Pinkie, so what ever mess Pinkie Pie had gotten into must have been recent as we boarded. But as myself and Fluttershy lagged in, the other's expressions of joy quickly turned to questions and worry.

"Oh my, what happened to you two?!" Rarity commented as we walked in.

"Oh my gosh, are you all ok?" Applejack added in.

"Oh no! You two are hurt!" Pinkie Pie stated.

"Its ok everypony, we are ok." I responded, only to be given a slight stare from Twilight.

"Yes, w-we are ok." Fluttershy tried to put on a brave face.

"No... they aren't." Twilight quickly took our credibility away from us. "Kiniro got in a fight with another pony in Canterlot square. For what ever reason, the pony seemed to snap when he heard my name. It seems like he was after myself and Fluttershy."

"I'm guessing you showed that ruffian what for!" Rarity commented as she stood up on her hind legs and began to imitate throwing punches with her front legs.

"Yeah, I'm betting you wiped the floor with his hiney" Applejack agreed.

"Well... no, we just barely got away, I wasn't strong enough to fight him head on, so I made I difficult choice." I mentioned as I laid in a chair across from Pinkie, Rarity and Applejack. With Twilight and Fluttershy following my lead.

"What was that Kini?" Pinkie asked.

"I had to... I had to..." I began to sob lightly. "I had too..." I couldn't finish my sentence out of sadness of what I had to do.

"Kini had to sacrifice his guitar to save Fluttershy. From this other pony." Twilight explained.

"Why did he have to do that?" Applejack asked.

"Well you see, he..." Twilight tried to explain.

"He was a musician, his name was Meadow Song." I interrupted Twilight. "And he was extremely physically strong. And I'm not sure how, but he knew how to play the song of Ragnarok. He tried playing it to kill Fluttershy, but I sacrificed my guitar to stop him from playing it, and it knocked him out from the feedback. So my guitar lays in pieces scattered in Canterlot square."

"So you don't have your guitar anymore?" Rarity asked.

"No... its gone... I've had it for years and I've had it for an extremely long time... and its gone." I said as I began to cry.

"There there Kini, it will be ok, I'm sure you'll get another" Pinkie tried to comfort me, but her words made me sob even harder.

"But there won't be another one like it. It's not mine, it doesn't have my heart and soul in it." I tried to explain how I felt.

"But what about the prototype guitar Vinyl gave you?" Twilight asked.

"Oh I had completely forgot about that!" I forgot that I was given that as a gift.

"Well she did give it to you considering you helped her test it." Twilight responded.

"I don't think it can have my heart and soul like my old guitar. I don't even know if it can." I tried to off play the usefulness of the new guitar idea. "The only reason I got it is because my interest in music and that pushed me to help Vinyl."

"Interest? More like obsession." Twilight retorted.

"Regardless, it still won't replace my old guitar." I tried to explain again.

"Well it might not replace your old guitar. I know that because you've had it forever Kiniro, and I know that one will have a special place in your heart, but you can't let that stop you from being you you are darlin'. You should give that new guitar Twi's been mentioning a chance, it is yours after all!" Applejack explained.

"Yes deary, Applejack is right, give it a try. You never know how things will turn out!" Rarity added.

"Yes K-Kiniro, give it a try." Fluttershy squeeked.

"If you all think I should try. I will." I mentioned. Seeing the other ponies agree with my statement and give me a nod of approval. "Alright then, I'll mess around with it when we get back home... but until then... " I yawned heavily. "I think I need to get some rest... I'm getting really slee..." I immediately knocked out, slouching in the chair I laid in.

I guess I still needed rest from my injuries... I know I had to try the guitar when i got back home. But would it be able to fill the shoes that my old guitar left behind. I don't think it would, but if my friends thought it was worth a shot. I guess I would try it. But I'd worry about that later. As for now, sleep was a good idea...

End of Chapter 12.