• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,022 Views, 11 Comments

The Missing Bard - Kiniro



Sequel to the Guitarist. Another pony knows the song of Ragnarok, could he be the missing legend?

  • ...
1
 11
 1,022

Chapter 15: Rest

The Missing Bard

Chapter 15: Rest

As I walked home with Twilight, the thoughts of Meadow Song constantly troubled my mind. Just the thought of this pony did not set well with me, the fact that he could very well likely be from my world. But just two things did not add up in my mind still, there was only one bard before me that knew the song of Ragnarok, and he existed during the time period in which Satan Morroc existed, or at least from what I decipher from what Lightning Strike had once told me in my past. But what could be the connection.

Myself and Twilight had been walking for a few minutes, but we had finally arrived at our home, the Ponyville Library. It still amazed me some times that this building was my new home. Considering back when I lived in Juno I was almost in the Grand Library everyday studying music theory when I wasn't performing for Zeny or at my apartment resting, but this took it to the extreme. Just a shame that Twilight had still not expanded on her music collection yet, but every time I asked her she always seemed to give the excuse of not many books on music existed in Equestria and most of those only existed at the Royal Library in Canterlot. However she did put in requests to Princess Celestia if it was possible to get copies made for me and sent here, and we never got no for an answer, so I only assumed that book production in this world took a significant amount of time compared to in Midgard, but I'd think with magic being prevalent here, just as in Midgard, it wouldn't be such a set back.

"Lets get you inside Kini and get you to bed, you've had a long day." Twilight remarked as she opened the door to the library.

"Yeah... long day is putting it nicely, but yes I need some rest." I responded with an exhausted tone. "I'm going to head off to bed here soon."

"Good idea, I just hope you'll be better tomorrow." Twilight stated, but realizing her mistake in her phrasing quickly responded with, " well at least feeling better by tomorrow, I know you won't be completely healed but you know what I mean."

"I know what you mean Twi, I'm still glad you're wishing the best for me." I responded and leaned in for a kiss.

"I'd never stop wishing the best for you Kini." Twilight replied as she leaned in also and we both kissed lightly. "Now off to bed you! I'm going to stay here downstairs and wait for Rarity to come over, hopefully we can find something that could be used as armor in your next fight with Meadow Song. If that day ever comes, we all want to make sure you're prepared. We'll try not to make too much nose so we can let you sleep."

"Thanks Twi, I appreciate it." I said with a big yawn. "I'll see you in the morning and thank you again, tell Rarity I say thank you as well."

"I will, and hopefully we find something for you. Now stop stalling and get to bed!" Twilight responded and smiled.

"Alright alright. See you in the morning." I replied as I began to head up the staircase to the bedroom. Each step I had taken up the staircase sent a surge of pain up and down my spine, but at least the climb was manageable, but the thought of me being in a much worse condition gave me the strength to continue all the way to the top.

As I reached the top I opened the door and looked around the bedroom to see the bed that both Twilight and I had shared for months since I became a pony. I thought I never see that bed with such enthusiasm as I did right now, that I would be finally able to rest my aching bones and muscles, considering most of the time I thought the bed was as hard as a rock, but right now, it didn't matter and I didn't care. I had slowly made my way to our bed and crawled in, not bothering to get underneath the sheets, only to realize that the bed was much more comfortable this way to lay in. I only guessed its because the sheets were giving extra cushioning, or the fact that I was extremely exhausted, but either way it felt amazing.

As I laid in bed, I found myself physically tired, but mentally awake and unable to fall asleep right away, so I began looking around the room again.As I investigated the room, I caught a glimpse of a small bookcase in the corner of the room. I had seen this bookcase before and no matter how many times I had seen it, I always scratched my head on why it was in the bedroom, considering we lived in a library. But what made this bookcase special was that it was filled with a collection of books which Twilight called her favorites and a photograph of both her and I at the "Day of the Musician" festival held in Ponyville, with me sticking my tongue out with a big dumb smile and her just putting her hoof in her face ashamed of my reaction.

Upon seeing the picture I smiled and closed my eyes remembering the days of the festival. The day was beautiful, the entire town square in Ponyville was decorated with banners, streamers, flags and balloons. The aroma of the delicious treats made by the a Cake Family, The Apple Clan, and the Carrot Family was in the air, and all of it was as delicious as it smelled. Even the gray pegasus that I would run into, when trying to navigate to Octavia and Vinyl's house, by accident was there and selling these delicious smelling muffins, and I swore that she was so proud to be selling her baked goods that her walled eye'd stare even corrected itself for a short time! I swear that day I could have put on significant amount of weight if not for being apart of the festival organization committee with Twilight and our Friends, so I had only gotten to taste some of the treats. So I had missed out on a lot of what was there, but every time I missed the chance to try something there, I kept telling myself "Next Year. Always next year."

As I opened my eyes again, I took another look at that picture, realizing that I had the song of Ragnarok to thank for all of this. Not just for turning me into a pony, but also for being apart of the catalyst that brought me here. Granted I had to thank Satan Morroc partly for this, which I seemed odd that I was thanking the great evil from Midgard for doing its part to bring me here. Yet the one I had to thank also was Princess Luna, her caring heart saved, Equestria, Midgard and finally she saved me, not just physically, but she saved me from being alone the rest of my life, I never knew how I'd be able to repay her. I was finally happy, having a new home, a special some pony that cared for me just as much as I cared for her.

With the thoughts of Princess Luna, I had remembered that I was supposed to send letters to her! "What should I write to her, come to think of it... how will my letters get to her?" I thought and quickly my questions were answered.

"Hey Kiniro, Twilight asked me to come check on you, is there anything I can get for you?" I heard a young male voice call out to me and I turned my head to see that it was Spike standing in the doorway.

"Actually yes." I responded.

"What can I get you?" Spike asked.

"Well I need some parchment and a pen." I replied.

"Sending a letter out?"

"Yes, I need to send a letter out to the Princess."

"Alrighty, let me just... Ah there we go!" Spike replied as he pulled a piece of parchment and a quill from behind him.

"Uh... you just carry that stuff with you all the time or something?" I asked.

"When you're Twilight's number one assistant you always prepare for emergency letters or double-triple checklists. So I'm always ready. I know it seems silly, but better than always running back to get more supplies and have Twilight get impatient." Spike explained.

"Yep, that's Twilight." I responded to have both Spike and myself chuckle lightly. "Hey Spike, I know we don't get to hang out a lot or see you that often, but thanks for everything."

"No problem, I'm just being a friend of a friend." Spike replied with a smile. "Hey I hope you don't mind me asking, but maybe we could, I dunno, hang out in the near future. Don't get me wrong I love helping Twilight and her friends, but I'm always hanging around a lot of girls, not a lot of guy time you know."

"Sure Spike, that'd be cool, considering the only guys I know are Twilight's brother Shining Armor and he's out on vacation with Cadance. Then there's Applejack's brother Big Macintosh and don't get me wrong, he's awesome to work and talk, but... not much of a talker just to talk or hang out, a stallion of very few words. So in other words, I'd look forward to it." I smiled at spike.

"Cool beans! I mean, that's awesome." Spike said out in joy. "So I'm guessing this letter is to Princess Celestia?"

"Actually no, Princess Luna." I retorted.

"Hmm. Princess Luna huh?"

"Yeah, I'm supposed to send out letters regarding the magic of friendship just like Twilight and her friends. Plus any other findings I have regarding my magical abilities." I explained.

"Hmm, alright, I'm surprised Luna is taking this on, but ok."

"Well Celestia was going to spearhead it but Luna insisted, she wanted to play a role, considering she's partly the reason I'm here."

"Fair enough. So what should I write?" Spike asked.

"Hmm... let me think." I said, and as I began to think." Ah I've got it!"

"Lay it on me!" Spike replied as he put the quill onto the paper and awaited my words.

I cleared my throat lightly and began to speak. "My Dear Friend Princess Luna. I may not be able to state it enough, but I wanted to say thank you for saving me from the great void many months ago and giving me the opportunity to have a new life here in Equestria because of which. No simple words or even a song could express my gratitude toward you." I paused to gather my thoughts only to see Spike pause and peer over the parchment and awaited my following words.

"Anything else Kiniro?" Spike asked.

"Oh right yes. Sorry." I replied. "However I am also sending you this letter as a response in my findings in friendship and my magic. As far as friendship is concerned, these past few months I have discovered, that no matter how tarnished a pony's view on life can be, there can be that moment or that pony that can cause him or her to change his or her mind about life. Even to the point where that pony opens up and is able to cherish the greatness of Friendship. I am fortunate enough to have learned this here in Equestria due to the great friends I have made here." I paused again to gather my thoughts. "Sorry Spike give me a second."

"That's ok, take your time." Spike responded.

"Ok, last part." I replied. "Finally as far as my magic is concerned, I have recently undergone a battle with a mysterious pony by the name of Meadow Song. While I'm sure you've witnessed fights between ponies before, but this was no ordinary pony. As we did battle, he wielded a guitar just like I do, but what I find very troubling is that he was able to play and activate the song of Ragnarok as he attempted to kill my friends and I in Canterlot Square earlier this morning. While I'm sure you have heard something of it by now, I'd prefer you know what happened from the ponies involved. This guitar playing pony troubles me immensely considering he does know how to harness the power of Ragnarok, but what troubles me more is that there is a very strong possibility that this pony might be just like me. Another from Bard from Midgard, but how he got here or what's his purpose here I am unaware. During the battle I was fortunate to knock him out unforunately at the expense of my guitar and he is currently being held by your royal guards. Please do consider him very dangerous as he mentioned something about eliminating the Elements of Harmony. I hope your guards can keep him contained and if not, believe that he will come after the Elements of Harmony. If that happens I will do in my utmost capability to stop him to prevent this from happening. Please do take appropriate precautions my Princess and please do respond with any information you might have about this pony, as it might aid in discovering his identity. Thank you. Forever in your debt. Kiniro The Bard." I paused for a moment and waited for spike.

"Ok... Kiniro The Bard... Got it. Is that it Kiniro?" Spike asked as he lifted the quill off the parchment.

"Yeah that's going to be it." I replied.

"Ok now to send it!" Spike commented and quickly breathed a green fire onto the parchment and I saw it burst into flamesand disappear.

"Hey why did you do that!?" I shouted.

"Well duh to send it to Princess Luna, why else?" Spike explained.

"Sent it?" I asked with a confused look.

"Yeah, I am a magical dragon you know, breath fire on them and they get sent out. How else do you think Twilight sends her letters? Via the Ponyville Post Office?"

"Oh... I uh." I tried to understand.

"Yeah yeah I know its a difficult concept for some ponies, but you'll figure it out soon. Now anyway if you need anything else just call, I'll be down stairs with Twilight and... Rarity..." Spike trailed off as he exited the bedroom.

It's times like this that make me wish that I had more time to hang out with Spike so I could get to know him and understand how he does things. But I had spent to much time lately worrying about getting my magic back that I kinda ignored all the other wonderful things around me, but I did promise Spike that I would hang out with him going forward, so hopefully things would change.

I quickly turned over to face the bookcase as felt a sudden mental exhaustion set in. I looked up seeing the photograph that stood on the bookcase again. "I promise I'll figure out this Meadow Song out.. I promise... for you Twi... For you." I said aloud as I stretched my left front leg trying to touch the picture with my hoof, only to fall limp. "I promise..." Slowly closing my eyes, feeling the mental exhaustion really set in, I yawned deeply and took my body's queue that I needed rest. I turned over again and placed a pillow over my head and called it a night.

End of Chapter 15.