• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,016 Views, 11 Comments

The Missing Bard - Kiniro



Sequel to the Guitarist. Another pony knows the song of Ragnarok, could he be the missing legend?

  • ...
1
 11
 1,016

Chapter 7: Memories

The Missing Bard

Chapter 7: Memories

As we continued to walk toward Canterlot Castle to meet with the Princesses, I still had a keen eye trying to identify old landmarks from my original journey here. I know I had been doing this for a while since we had arrived back in Canterlot, but I still found myself fascinated that I was identifying familiar buildings. I found myself believing that my fascination stemmed from being allowed to stay in Equestria as a pony. Who would have known that the song of Ragnarok would have given me this opportunity. Not to mention giving me a new home, a place where I belonged, where I had friends, I had something I believed in, and I had that special-some-pony. Or at least that's what Twilight called me instead of her boyfriend, but hey, cultural references are different, but they meant the same.

I had looked to the four ponies that marched forward with me. Pinkie and Rarity to my left, both looking extremely pleased and Twilight and Fluttershy to my right, both giggling softly. "I just want to let you all know... Thank you all for helping me these past few months. You all have taught me about friendship." I said followed by looking at Twilight. "You have taught me about love. The best part of it all is that I don't see you just as my friends. I see you as my family."

"Aww thank you Kini." Twilight blushed slightly.

"We try Kini!" Pinkie responded with a big smile.

"Kiniro, I'm honored that you think that!" Rarirty commented.

"Aww... Thank you K-Kiniro." Fluttershy squeeked.

"I know Rainbow Dash and Applejack aren't here to hear it, but, even those two are apart of what I see my new family. Even though Rainbow and I don't always meet eye to eye and mostly just end up competing with each other, I appreciate that she tries to keep me going! To never let my guard down. Finally Applejack, if it wasn't her, I wouldn't have met the rest of you, but she was the first to trust me when I got here, and to be my first friend." I said with a tear rolling down my face. "I'm just so glad I had the opportunity to stay."

"Aww!" The four ponies said together and proceeded to give a group hug.

"See its things like these... I wish I had back in Midgard, but I'm glad to have now." I said with a smile. "I have to thank you all, and my trusty guitar as well." I said as I wiggled the guitar on my back. I was so glad to get that strap from Vinyl, it finally allowed me to not only play it easier but to carry it around as well!

We had the arrived at the front gate of the castle. Twilight had nodded to the two ponies guarding the gate. Both looked at each other and nodded again in agreement and used their magic to raise the gate. The four ponies in my group had walked into the gate all giving some sort of acknowledgement or thank you to the guards. However as I walked through the gate, I gave the most appropriate response I could think, and I raised my hoof and saluted both the guards and proceeded through. Only to hear one of the guards say. "Thank you Sir!" Admittedly the response made me smile. Even though I was done with my days serving in the Military either as a soldier or a rebel back in Midgard, they would always have my respect, I just hope that they would never have to witness the things I had seen.

As we made our way through the front courtyard, I had taken in the beautiful scenery. The garden courtyard reminded me of those back in Pronterra Castle. With lush flowers, gorgeous trees and extremely green grass with cobbled rock walk ways. I wondered to myself how did I miss this precious sight my last visit here. Then I remembered I was preoccupied last time while Shining Armor escorted me to the throne room. More and more as I walked through the courtyard, I kept drawing more and more analogies to my old home. I had paused my journey and sat down on the walk way, only to find myself slightly tearing. My subtle tears did not go unnoticed, only to see the four ponies that still accompanied double back to come to my side.

"Whats wrong Kini?" Twilight said as she gave me a hug trying to comfort me.

"I think I miss my old home. I know I can't go back, and I don't really want to go back. Because I know what will happen, but everything that reminds me of my old home... Reminds me that I spent so much of my life." I stopped myself due to heavier tears setting in and almost coming close to sobbing.

"Kiniro my dear, any pony who has lost their home, would miss it. I understand." Rarity tried to comfort me.

"Its not that I just miss it... I've just remember how much I did, and how much I've lost before I got here. The scars... are still with me. I'm glad I'm here, with all of you as my new family, but the scars of the past, are very hard to let go." I responded.

"Kini, I know how you feel, remembering the times before I became the pony I am now. Back when my life was gloomy and bleak back when I worked on the family rock farm. Before I saw Dashie's Sonic Rainboom, it was very rough, I loved my family, but they were tough times, feeling that no matter what you did, no pony was happy. It felt like the worst suffering you could go through, I know it might not be the same of what you've gone through, but not being able to see the joy in life, before seeing the joy of bringing smiles to others, before when you're thoughts were of just getting through another tough day without knowing that you're family might not survive for the next day." Pinkie pie tried to explain as she herself became to tear up. Trying very hard to keep herself from sobbing. "Sometimes, you wonder during those tough times, if life is really worth living. I wondered these thoughts constantly, about a saddened life, and what was in store for me... But life, sometimes has a pleasant way of showing you even though you have suffered, there is something to reward you for the suffering." Pinkie came and hugged me tight. "I got the chance to see Dashie's Rainboom, and it brightened my day. In the following months, I moved to Ponyville and started working for the Cake Family at Sugar Cube Corner. Bringing smiles to every pony that came in, giving them sweet treats and being that pony that everyone knew for throwing parties for everypony that needed to be cheered up. I realized the importance of sharing the gift of laughter, and if it wasn't for all of that, I would have never met the ponies I know now and that includes you now." Pinkie smiled and pointed her hoof at me.

"Thank you Pinkie." Is all I could muster to say as I began crying, not just over my past, but knowing that I was truly cared for. I know that sometimes I took this feeling for granted, but hearing Pinkie's wise words, which I was shocked to hear, really let it sink in. The four ponies came in for a group hug and they all held me tight and as I began being squeezed, I felt another two join in the group.

"Don't think you'd forget about us sugar cube!" I heard Applejack call out.

"Yeah, you can't leave us out of this!" Rainbow Dash agreed.

"We are all your f-friends K-Kiniro, we will l-look after you. Its what friends d-do." Fluttershy said with a slight squeek.

"Yes deary, we all look after our own. Friend or family." Rarity added in.

"Because we all care Kini!" Pinkie commented.

"And because we all love you, we all care for you, we all owe a lot to you, all of Equestria does." Twilight added in and kissed my cheek. "And because you taught all of us, that there are ponies out there that will stand for justice and for whats right no matter what, no matter what it is they endure, and what sacrifices they must suffer. But we all want you to know that you're suffering was never in vain, because we are as happy to have you as you have us. But because you also showed me that there is more to life out there that I once imagined." Twilight said with a big smile.

"Thank you everypony." I stated. "I know I've had an extremely tough life leading to this point, and the scars may never heal from what I've had to endure, as long as I have you all here, I will have the strength to carry on and I will have the strength to remember whats important now. I just wish it didn't take this long for me to meet all of you." I said with a smile and tears running down my face.

"Kini things happen for a reason. Princess Celestia has taught me this, but in due time as we suffer, just like Pinkie said, we will be rewarded for the suffering that we go through in life." Twilight reminded me.

"You're right, it hasn't been all in vain. My time in Midgard, fighting various wars, taking the lives' of others, defending my home, losing my parents, losing my friends, and my country. It was not all in vain, I got to meet all of you, stay in Equestria, fall in love with Twilight, I brought peace to my home world, Satan Morroc is gone, Xellie is banished, and the best of all. I'm getting my shot to be an honorary Element of Harmony." I said still with a smile but with the tears drying on my face.

"See Kini? We all go through our challenges to get to this point." Pinkie Pie added in with a giant smile.

I had looked over to Twilight, expecting a shocked reaction that the other ponies now knew about our relationship. However only to be greeted with a smile. I guess she had gotten over her fear and keeping this a secret, it was nothing to be ashamed of, but knowing Twilight I thought she would be unaware to handle a situation like this. I was proved wrong. The other ponies knew now, and I was not ashamed of it either. I was proud to have this out in the open as opposed to having it a secret with just a few. "Thanks everypony, I appreciate all of the kind words and the sympathy. Its because of all of you, that none of that was in vain. Thank you." I responded. "Lets get going... The Castle entrance is up ahead. I've got a test to pass!"

With those words, the group hug broke, seeing every pony smile and being supportive of me. From the moment I arrived in Equestria, meeting Applejack and getting to know her, I felt that things were going to be different in this world compared to my own. Even as time went on, and as friendships formed, that feeling was never proven wrong. I hoped it would never proven wrong, knowing this made me extremely happy and I hoped it never changed. I'm glad I was home.

End of Chapter 7.