• Published 15th Mar 2021
  • 324 Views, 68 Comments

Descendants of the Isle 2: Back Among The Hidden - Melody Song



The VCs have been living in the United Kingdoms of Equus for a while now, but Tempest is starting to get lingering doubts about whether she truly belongs there, and Gallus and Sandbar have been having relationship troubles.

  • ...
13
 68
 324

Cotillion Confusion

That night, the Cotillion started. They had managed to procure an airship big enough in time, and now drifted on a wind current above the ocean. On the deck, Cotillion guests milled around, avoiding a spot at the back where a large tarp covered what appeared to be a frame.

Luna stepped up to the photo area with Celestia for pictures. The two alicorn sister-cousins posed, flaring their wings, tilting their heads. The photographers from the press began clamoring for them, bringing smiles to both filly’s faces.

“Luna, you look beautiful!”

“Thank you so much.”

Luna wore a sparkling blue evening gown that had a strap around her neck to hold it. It had a long black cape added to it that curved delicately around her wings. Her shoes were a silver color to contrast with her blue coat. She carried a crescent moon shaped purse on her shoulder, also sporting the hoof bracelet she, Smolder, and Gabby had made, and a couple other accessories of theirs, modeled after her.

“Did you design the hoof bracelet?”

“Beautiful, isn’t it? Um, no, it’s not my creation.” Luna said, fluffing her wings. “Many of the accessories you will see on guests this evening were designed by two fabulous new designers, and my personal friends, Gabby and Smolder of the Hidden Isles.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smolder and Gabby, who were sitting in the hair salon and watching the live broadcast, looked at each other. They squealed and hugged.

“That’s us Smolder!”

“We made that!” Smolder agreed

A banging sounded from the floor above, and a scratchy voice came down. “Quiet down!”

“Sorry mom!” Smolder called back up, she and Gabby turning eagerly back to the screen as Celestia left and Luna was joined by Snowdrop, who draped a wing over her back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the boat, the party was in full swing. Ember and Thorax were just walking in, Ember in a golden gown with armor plating on the shoulders, and Thorax in a neatly trimmed green vest, both made by Luna.

“Ember! There you are!” Rising Dawn and Celestia hurried up, pushing between Ember and Thorax. “Everything is looking wonderful, you and Celestia did a fantastic job, we just need some help ladling out the punch.”

“Uh, Rising Dawn…” Ember gestured to Thorax, blushing.

Celestia looked between them and giggled before heading over to the punch bowl. Rising Dawn didn’t understand and glanced at Thorax.

“Oh, why hello Thorax, why don’t you look handsome. Are you here with someone?”

“Y-Yeah…” Thorax reached and took Ember’s claw. Ember smiled at him.

“Oh, oh I see…” Rising Dawn smiled. “Not to worry Ember, Celestia and I can handle the refreshments ourselves. And I’ll send her along your way a bit later, she’s still a child, she needs time with her friends.”

“Thanks Rising Dawn.” Ember said.

Rising Dawn waved them off as Ember led Thorax away. Rising Dawn then turned back to the entrance, just in time to greet her sister, who had just arrived, Luna entering at her side.

As Thorax and Ember made their way into the crowd, they passed by Tempest and Pharynx. The two were talking with Ocellus and Gilda, telling them about their journey back to the Isle.

“Smolder and Gabby told us to tell you they miss you and think of you every night.” Tempest finished. She was wearing a long violet gown with a hood, though she had left it down to reveal her new manestyle.

Gilda and Ocellus both nodded in response. Ocellus rubbed a hole-covered foreleg against her other foreleg, blushing.

“I wish we could see them…” she murmured. Gilda placed a claw on her back in comfort.

“Well, I think I know something that’ll cheer you up.” Pharynx said to his sister, raising a hoof and pointing at Thorax and Ember.

Ocellus and Gilda both turned to look, seeing Thorax and Ember talking, both with a considerable blush on their faces. Ocellus’ eyes widened.

“No way…”

Pharynx chuckled. “Knew he could do it.” he then leaned into Tempest, who wrapped a foreleg around him.

“Didn’t it take you until a big party like this to do the same?”

Pharynx blushed and chuckled sheepishly. “W-Well… guess it runs in the family.”

“Whatever you say bug.” Tempest kissed his cheek gently.

As they talked, trumpets suddenly blew. They all looked up to the giant staircase. Sandbar’s parents stood at the base of it, his mother cradling his baby sister. At the top, stood one of the castle stewards.

“Presenting, the future member of the court, Gallus.” he announced

Tempest, Pharynx, Gilda, Ocellus, Thorax, Ember, Luna, and Snowdrop all hurried to the front of the crowd. Tempest and Pharynx held each other’s hooves, Thorax and Ember staying close beside each other while Luna and Snowdrop held wings.

There was silence, then, Gallus stepped out. His fur and feathers had been groomed and preened immaculately. He wore a yellow and blue suit with long coattails, and blue clawless gloves like the ones Sandbar had gotten him. His shoulder pads had been replaced with a royal blue lacelike pattern that wrapped around the sleeves. On his head rested a small crown, similar to Sandbar’s.

Gallus walked forwards, and stood still. His friends, at the very front of the crowd, were the first to begin cheering. They applauded and shouted for him. Gallus smiled as he walked down the steps, reaching and letting Sea Kelp take his claw.

“Hi…” he said shyly

“Hello Gallus. Sandbar is on his way.” Sea Kelp told him.

“Okay.” Gallus whispered

“Oh, sweetie, you look beautiful.” Shell Scallop said, and Gallus blushed.

“Oh, thank you…”

Sea Kelp cleared his throat. “Listen, I know we were shocked at first, but you… you are exactly what Sandbar needs.” he said, and Gallus blinked.

“And lucky for you, I don’t go by first impressions.” Shell Scallop added, giggling.

Gallus laughed as well as Luna trotted up to him. Sea Kelp nodded his permission, and Gallus walked with Luna back to the others.

“How are you?” Luna asked

“Besides feeling like I’m gonna throw up?” Gallus asked.

Luna giggled and shook her head as the crowd parted to let them rejoin their friends. “Relax, we’re right here with you, it’s going to be fine.” Luna assured him.

“Okay…” Gallus then had his ear tweaked by Gilda. “Hey!”

“Heh, proud of you baby bro.” Gilda said, hugging him.

Gallus smiled at her, then the trumpets sounded again. The steward spoke.

“Announcing, King Sandbar!”

Sandbar appeared at the top of the stairs. He wore a light green suit with gold regalia and his crown. The crowd began cheering and applauding him as well, and Gallus beamed as Sandbar stepped forwards. They all bowed to him, except Gallus, who waited patiently for his lover to come to him.

Gilda nudged Gallus. “Well? Go get ‘em.”

Gallus nodded and walked forwards, smiling. He met Sandbar at the bottom of the stairs. Sandbar looked worried about something. He bowed formally, and Gallus, confused, also bowed.

“Sandy…?”

“Gallus, I wish I had time to explain…” Sandbar spoke, then turned back to the stairs.

They heard a door open, and then… another figure appeared. They were dressed in an orange gown that resembled flames, and wearing a familiar necklace. The figure spread open wings as they stepped into the light, revealing soft brown eyes and a mane in a flame style. Spitfire.

Gallus gasped softly, and murmurs spread through the crowd. The villain creatures looked at their Equus friends, seeing identical looks of confusion. This wasn’t supposed to happen at a Cotillion, judging by their expressions. Sandbar turned and trotted up the stairs, extending a hoof to Spitfire.

Gallus covered his beak with a claw as Sandbar led Spitfire down the stairs. Sea Kelp and Shell Scallop, looking just as surprised, nodded politely. Then, Sandbar got down on his knees, and kissed Spitfire’s hoof. It was then that Gallus saw it. Sandbar’s green pin was fastened to her dress. Spitfire and Sandbar held hooves and walked to Gallus, smiling.