• Published 15th Mar 2021
  • 324 Views, 68 Comments

Descendants of the Isle 2: Back Among The Hidden - Melody Song



The VCs have been living in the United Kingdoms of Equus for a while now, but Tempest is starting to get lingering doubts about whether she truly belongs there, and Gallus and Sandbar have been having relationship troubles.

  • ...
13
 68
 324

Trying To Fit In

Gallus was talking with Tempest and Pharynx outside their lockers, cradling Monarch in one claw. Pharynx was in his jersey, about to head to practice. Sandbar then trotted up to them.

“Hey Gal.”

“Oh, hey Sandy.” Gallus smiled at him.

Sandbar giggled. “I have a surprise for you.”

“You do? Again?” Gallus asked

As Sandbar and Gallus continued talking and giggling, Tempest rolled her eyes.

“Heh, I’m glad we’re not like them.” she murmured, kissing Pharynx on the cheek.

“Heh, yeah…” Pharynx wrapped his forelegs around her neck. “You have class now, right?”

“Mhm. Fencing practice?”

“Yep. Meet in your room after?”

“Of course. Lu and Snow should be out of there by then.” Tempest nuzzled him. “I have some new sketches I want to show you.”

“Heh, let me guess, they’re about me?” Pharynx buried his muzzle in Tempest’s long mane. “I’m sure I’ll love them.”

“I hope you do.” Tempest turned to open her locker door. Pharynx noticed something.

“Hey, isn’t that the spellbook? I thought you put it in the museum.”

“Oh, is that still in here?” Tempest chuckled. “I guess I forgot. Don’t worry about it Phar, it’s not dangerous when it’s shut in my locker.”

“Guess not.”

“Mhm. Now I’ve got to get to class.”

“Oh wow, Sandy!” they heard Gallus exclaim, and turned.

Gallus was holding a pair of flight goggles that were a sparkling gold color with a blue strap. He also held a pair of matching gloves and a jacket.

Pharynx chuckled, kissing Tempest’s cheek. “I’ve gotta go. Tell lovergriff I said bye.”

“Okay.” Tempest nuzzled him before he headed off.

“These are amazing, I love them.”

Sandbar chuckled, he was holding Monarch now. “Knew you would. I thought maybe your sister would want a pair too, so she’ll get some once she sees how cool yours are.”

“You’re the best Sandy…” Gallus hugged him. “But I didn’t get you anything…”

“You’re taking me on a picnic with all my favorite foods, remember?” Sandbar reminded him.

Gallus blinked. Tempest stepped over.

“Isn’t that on Thursday?” Tempest asked, glancing at Gallus for confirmation.

“Today is Thursday.” Sandbar chuckled.

“No it’s not.” Tempest replied

“It is.” Sandbar laughed

“I knew that.” Tempest blurted. “Uh, Gallus, Pharynx said bye… now I gotta go.”

Tempest went to collect her things from her locker, and Gallus began sweating.

“U-Uh, right, Thursday… picnic…” Gallus mumbled

“Gally?” Sandbar looked at him. “If you’re not ready we can-”

“Nope, I remember, just Tempest messing with you, like she does.” Gallus hugged him, slipping Monarch back into his claws. “I just have one last thing to go cook, and then I’m yours.”

“You don’t have class?”

“Free period.” Gallus nuzzled him. “I’ll see you at the Enchanted Lake.”

“Heh, you’re the best, Gally.” Sandbar kissed his cheek. “Alright, I’ll be there!”

Gallus waited until Sandbar left, then whipped around… to find Tempest standing there with a smirk.

“Oh great, you didn’t leave yet!”

“You forgot it was Thursday?”

“No, I forgot about the date completely!” Gallus moaned. “There’s been so much to remember, and school on top of it… I couldn’t keep up.”

“Thought so.” Tempest sighed

“I really need help Temp…”

Tempest smiled and grabbed her spellbook. “How about a spell?”

“You’d cast one for me?”

“Make whatever you can think of, then I’ll cast a spell on it.”

“Well come on, let’s get to the Enchanted Lake!”

“Okay, but quickly. I have class.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the amphitheater, a group of girls, which included Celestia, were watching fencing practice.

“Alright boys, line up.” Pharynx said “Thorax, with me.”

“Okay…” Thorax grabbed his fencing sword and stood opposite Pharynx, who began calling out the moves.

“Assembler. Salute. Lower the point. Masks down. En garde. Keep your center!”

“Woah!” Thorax cried as he stumbled.

“Eyes on your opponent Thorax! Up and over!”

Then, as Thorax stumbled again, a masked and bipedal figure ran forwards and shielded him from Pharynx’s next attack. Thorax scrambled backwards and watched in awe. Pharynx began fencing with the new figure, causing gasps of shock and amazement.

“Woah!”

“Get ‘em Pharynx!”

“Watch out Pharynx!”

“Nice!” Blueblood called as Pharynx was pinned by the new figure.

“What happened?” Thorax asked, as the figure removed their mask. This revealed a smirking female dragon.

“It’s Ember!” Celestia called, and the girls began cheering.

“Heh, not bad.” Pharynx said as Ember helped him up.

“You should put me on the team.” Ember said

“Yeah!” Thorax added. “Put her on the team Phar!”

Pharynx smirked and was about to respond when-

“What?! Oh no no no!” Blueblood stalked forwards. “We’ll be the laughing stock of the league! What’s gonna happen next, girls playing Blitzball? Come on guys.”

“What’s the problem with a girl wanting to play sports?” Pharynx asked, feeling a bit attacked due to his relationship with Tempest. She didn’t like the sports Equus Prep had to offer but she did enjoy roughhousing from time to time.

“Uh, so have you not read the rulebook?” Blueblood made it appear with a flash of his magic. He held it out. “Section 2, paragraph 3, 11-4. ‘A team will be comprised of a captain and eight colts.’ Hmm? Why don’t you read the rulebook next time?”

Pharynx snarled and was about to lay into him when Ember spoke up.

“Well maybe it’s time the rules changed! Gallus and Sandbar had to withdraw to do king stuff, and even though Thorax took Gallus’ spot you’re still down a colt!”

“Exactly. We’re down a colt.” Blueblood emphasized.

Ember spat at his hooves, and Thorax turned to Pharynx.

“Phar, please…”

Pharynx sighed. “I’m sorry Ember… but Coach Jet trusts me, I’d lose the captain position if I disregarded the rule book.”

Ember growled and tossed her fencing sword to the ground in front of him. “If my mother thought that way, she would have lost the Draconian Civil War.”

Ember then clenched her fists and stormed off. Thorax ran after her.

Pharynx sighed. “Alright guys, practice is over. Let’s go.”

“Ember!” Thorax called as the colts left the amphitheater behind him.

“Lowdown, hardheaded, sexist little-”

“Ember!”

Ember turned. “Oh, hey Thorax…”

“Hey, so I wanted to ask-”

“Ember!” Celestia ran up. “Look, we’re going to use blue and gold banners for Cotillion, but now Luna and I can’t find the right shade, maybe you could help?”

“In a minute.” Ember told Celestia, who nodded and hurried off. “You were saying, Thorax?”

“Uh, w-well, about Cotillion, I was wondering…”

“Ugh, I know, right? It’s all anyone’s talking about. Cotillion 24/7. Like they’ve never been to one before.” Ember said

“I… I haven’t, actually…”

“Right, sorry.” Ember sighed

“So… y-you’re not looking forward to it?” Thorax asked, ears drooping.

“What’s there to look forward to? I usually get stuck helping Tia serve the punch with her mom. And this year I had to join her in the decorating committee too, because Yona went on that vacation with her father.”

Thorax sighed. “Oh… well, maybe we should just-”

“Skip the whole thing? Took the words right out of my mouth.” Ember huffed “Really wish I could. Anyway, I’d better help Celestia. Good talk.”

“Alright…”

“And Thorax?” Ember looked back and he brightened hopefully. “Great practice, you’re doing better.”

Thorax frowned. “R-Right… thanks…”

“No problem. See ya.”

As Ember headed off, Pharynx trotted up.

“So…?”

“It wasn’t the right time…” Thorax sighed. Pharynx gave his brother a quick side hug.

“You’ll get her.” he said