• Published 31st Jan 2021
  • 7,742 Views, 1,927 Comments

Forbidden Places - Starscribe



A group of clandestine explorers stumble into Equestria, emerging from the portal in strange new bodies. Riches and fame await them, if only they can find a safe way home before the magic becomes permanent. It's not as easy as it sounds.

  • ...
19
 1,927
 7,742

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46: Vesper

There were lots of things Vesper could do while docked in a friendly town of ponies. The temptation to go out into the world to meet them was almost irresistible, matched by only one thing: her exhaustion.

Getting the Bright Hawk away from discovery by griffon pirates was no simple task, no more than staying up the long hours necessary to make sure it happened. So however much she wanted to go down into the little pony town and see the creatures it contained, her need for rest took precedence.

So it was that Vesper found her way to the Dreamlands once again. She descended the steps, passed through the gate, and soon was back in slumbering lands unknown. She could easily have drifted there, waiting for Princess Luna to discover her. But waiting for others to decide her fate had never really worked well for her.

Besides, Vesper didn't think anypony else would be rescuing her from Equestria. If she left, it would be because she found a way out, and chose to use it.

Tonight, she was in a strange place—a library, like so many others. But this one had books that were each a single sheet of glass, that revealed their contents only when fitted into special projectors. She searched with some eagerness, though at first she did not know where she was and what she might be looking for.

Eventually she came to a sign, carved into the same glass as the many books. Some things she knew without knowing where that information came from. But other things she could only guess at.

Letters and symbols blurred together before her eyes in simple, untempered chaos. Every time she looked, the sign said something else. I wish you would make sense. She wished it with all her might, just as she had wished for air when ascending far above the heights that she could breathe.

It was the same process—the same magic. Letters settled into place 'Akilineq Archive of Remembrance: General Section'

Vesper lifted into the air, feeling at the glass plate with one wing. The letters here were straight and short, each one like a bone carved by thin fingers. Yet she could still read them.

"I'd ask you what you were doing here," said Pale Light, his voice already one shade into annoyed. "But I know you won't tell me."

There was another bat at her feet, looking up. She waved, then settled down beside him. She landed without tripping over herself this time, or spraying bits of trash and debris from the library around them.

She had clarified the words of a single sign, but that didn't mean the rest of the place was in good shape. Shelves had fallen over completely, their glass contents shattered. Others were vanished in something thick and white, that flooded whole floors of this strange library.

A glow shone in through the windows, more than enough for bat eyes to see everything she could possibly want. One of the advantages of her strange new body.

"That's the opposite how this works," she said. "You're the one who goes from place to place, searching for something you won't describe, never telling me what it is so I can help you find it. All I do is ask so that I can be more useful. Or in rare cases, make myself so annoying you have no choice but to tell me the truth."

He chuckled, but avoided her gaze. "One day, maybe. How's your practice on that side going? I would usually assume that things are going well if I haven't seen someone in a long time. But tracking time between worlds is tricky."

And you're changing the subject already. It wasn't that Vesper didn't already suspect it. But this was as good as confirmation. Her friend was actively hiding things from her. Yet not everything. "Your advice saved my life," she said. "I summoned some air when I needed it to breathe. What else can I bring from the world of dreams?"

He turned, apparently satisfied that his distraction had worked. Suddenly he was feigning disinterest again, looking away from her. "Almost anything that would appear in a dream. Objects are the easiest—easier the less magic they take, or the less complex they are to visualize. Places are a little harder. Whole houses or mansions from the Dreamlands can be brought into the world for a short time."

He trailed off as they approached a hallway, flooded with snow. "Hardest of all, people. To dream of life, and find that life made real. These are fleeting, and last for moments compared to the other kinds of dreams. But they can be the most powerful."

"People," she repeated. Not ponies. "People can be... you can't make people. That's one of the two things that only a god can do—creating people, and bringing the dead back to life. Entries one and two on deific resume. Every other domain has been taken by technology... or magic."

He shrugged. "Then every sleeper is a god unto their own dreams. The Dreamlands are populated by uncounted billions, many shaped by dreamers. Those dreamed by many take form, substance, coherence here in the dreaming. Others are crafted specifically by powerful dreamers, creations with a purpose. Our princess of dreams has made nightmares to torment the wicked, and urge them to repentance. She has made soldiers to patrol dreams for evil intruders. She has made messengers and scholars and many other things, by her will. Powerful dreamers could do likewise."

If Vesper was a permanent resident of this world, she would probably want to learn everything she could, just say whatever she could to get the creature talking and keep him that way. But for now, what mattered most to her was practicality. She needed reasons.

And if I made anyone, I would be their god. I can't claim to have all their answers when I don't even have any for myself. She would just have to be careful never to use that particular power.

"What about something else. You said I could learn to cross worlds without a Worldgate, didn't you? Through sleepers?"

He nodded. "What matters is the strength of your connection to the one who sleeps. Your sympathy, it is called. Children are the strongest, your mate is the next, then your siblings and parents. Lastly, your friends, extending in a web that fades into eternity. The weaker the connection, the harder it will be to use the bond."

She slumped to the floor, right in front of an empty hallway. As she did, harsh white lights came on, illuminating more shelves of flat glass books. Could she read them, the same way she read the sign? "That sounds like a completely useless power, then. Nobody has friends in multiple worlds. You could never discover new horizons that way either, only return to places you've already been."

He shrugged. "And you're saying that wouldn't be a useful ability? Supposing you had friends in many worlds, you could travel freely between them. More importantly, don't you have connections in that other world—the one you're so eager to return to? Who cares if the power could discover anything new. It could bring you home."

You want me to take the bait. Yet you've only told me about it now. "I'm... cautiously optimistic," she said. "I would feel a little better if it wasn't for a disaster I just went through last night, one I'm afraid will repeat itself as soon as I use this power. I found a Worldgate that led to my world without changing me back into a human being. There's no point in going back there if I don't get my old self back. That's... kinda part of the appeal."

Pale Light circled around her once, before resting one wing on her shoulder. "Are you certain you care about that? Before that, remember where you are. This is the dreaming, where words are given substance. Lie here at your peril."

She didn't shove him off. Whatever else could be said about him, she had approached Pale Light, over weeks. This was no careful scheme to gradually catch and trap her. "So maybe I don't care much. Maybe I'm equally happy this way, or with my memories. I want to be standing at the threshold with a choice. I want to make it, without anyone pressuring me."

Pale Light laughed. "If you get it, let me know. You will the first creature in existence to tell reality what to do."

She shrugged. "I don't mind being the first. Now how can I practice summoning things? I'm really not interested in summoning people. But if I could bring a gun in a pinch, that would be fantastic. Just tell me what to do."

He did. They continued together for what felt like days, though it couldn't have been that long. Time was always like that in the Dreamlands, a strange blur that never quite made sense no matter how she looked at the clock.

But eventually she did wake up, to the scraping of ship against the ground, and a sudden lurch forward. They were airborne again, suddenly enough that she nearly toppled out of her narrow bunk.

Vesper groaned, shaking away the delirium of sleep. It was nearly nightfall outside, with only a few last wisps of daylight left. A perfectly comfortable time to be waking up. Too bad the others wouldn't let her sleep in more often.

She followed her nose to the helm, where Blake was directing their ascent. She probably could've guessed that from the inexpert takeoff, though she wouldn't say as much. "Hey! Learn anything fun in the pony city?"

He glanced to the side, but curiously Galena wasn't there. Unusual for the bird not to be around with more of a hand in navigation. Maybe this was the next stage in Blake's training. "A few things. There's no way out here, we're stuck with the Worldgates. But we did get some useful info for the one in Canterlot, so that's something. It's... less known than some. They didn't even think it was down there. But the old story about why they stopped digging doesn't check out with me. Greedy unicorns ran out of gemstones? Good moral lesson, not so much good economics. Otherwise they'd be filling the nearby mountains with holes too, looking for more. They didn't."

He tapped something wedged into the instruments—a thick-covered book? Strange how much of Vesper's life seemed to turn on what knowledge was hidden inside. She flipped through the pages, revealing old maps, pictures of pony miners, and cart layouts.

"Doesn't seem like this is the kind of place they'd want us poking around," she said, slipping it back into the shelter he'd found in the instrument panel. "No government back home would leave somewhere like that open."

"None does here either," he said, keeping both hooves on the wheel. "But they do guided tours. We'll go down with one of those and slip away. You, me, and any more talent we think we need."

"The whole team, obviously," Vesper said, without thinking. "That's how we do things, right? We go together into places people don't want us. We take good pictures, and we put them up online."

He nodded absently. "Sure. Maybe I can talk Galena into staying behind for the next one. Leaving the ship while we were out in the middle of nowhere was one thing. But we'll be in Equestria's capital city. Even if there's no fear of pirate attacks, we could still just have someone steal the damn ship. Assuming Canterlot is half as bad as DC..."

"Ponies? I'm not sure they're capable... of making a city like that." She took a few steps away from him, leaning over the railing. Certainly she wasn't posed any particular way—she was just looking down at Ponyville fading below them, trying to take in the sights she hadn't got to examine in person.

"Oh, here." She reached to one side, then tossed something to him. "Think you dropped this earlier."

Blake caught it in one hoof, then stared down in disbelief. "Shit, where did you get this?" He turned it over in one hoof. A perfect recreation of Captain Jack Sparrow's cap, complete down to the little metal beads and the cracked leather.

"Same place as the last time. Only now I'm pretty sure I can do it on command. Or... hoping I can? Let's both hope I can." She snatched it out of his hooves with her wings, then lifted briefly into the air to settle it onto his head. "Perfect, just like that. Our brave captain is ready to sail us into battle."

"How about sail us to a safe port that wants to let us visit," he said. "The Bright Hawk isn't really rated for battles.

PreviousChapters Next