• Published 31st Jan 2021
  • 7,721 Views, 1,927 Comments

Forbidden Places - Starscribe



A group of clandestine explorers stumble into Equestria, emerging from the portal in strange new bodies. Riches and fame await them, if only they can find a safe way home before the magic becomes permanent. It's not as easy as it sounds.

  • ...
19
 1,927
 7,721

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Ryan

Journal,

Lot to catch up on. Sorry I haven't had the time to dictate any of this. You'd think that even seeing Kaelynn, I'd still have time, since only one of us sleeps. But one of the biggest advantages to being a hideous freak is the productivity—while everyone but Jordan sleeps, I can keep working on the Bright Hawk.

I really don't care that technically there's no time pressure. We're already declared dead. The search parties would've given up on finding us by now. Hopefully they didn't find an evil monster.

I have less to go back to than any of the others. I'm the only one without family. Or future, come to think. So why push so hard to get home?

I'm not sure. It feels like the thing to do. Having a goal in front of me, I have to press for it. Maybe it's a bug thing? Like if I come from a colony of thousands of black, holey creatures, I bet we could really move mountains.

But we can't work now. Kaelynn just got her hooves on some weird book thing—took longer to copy than they thought, whatever it is. Just looked like music to me. I can't read music.

But without her, I'm not so sure about trying to build any of this filter system myself. I'm really more of an idea bug—designing it is one thing, but someone with machining skills like Kaelynn needs to put it together.

The Bright Hawk is ours now, by the way. Formally ours, since the ponies don't want it. We're getting it ready to sail. Turns out the ponies are pretty advanced, at least more than Mount Aris. Their ship has running water and electricity and everything. Generator is entirely inscrutable to me, looks more like perpetual motion magic, coil, and spring rewinding itself... presumably it will discharge eventually, and we'll need to top it up. Hippogriffs can't tell us anything about it.

Screw this it doesn't matter. Kaelynn and I are dating! Well, what's dating mean when we spend most of our time working? But working together! She isn't just pretending to tolerate me either, it's awesome! I'm never hungry anymore, even though I'm still not eating.

We've had plenty of time alone, enough for... intimate stuff. She's willing, maybe even eager. You know Kaelynn, always wanting to explore strange new worlds...

Should I tell her I'm still a virgin? I know none of the others are. What the hell will happen to my brain if my first time is as a weird alien? But if I do tell her, she'll think it's so weird she probably won't want to be with me anymore. It's pathetic, I know. Laugh.

Other things, better things. We're working on a new circulation system, a tank way bigger than the one that used to be here. The plan is to flood the captain's quarters, but only a little water, barely over her head. It's the only place aboard we could put all that water, so long as we balance things out with the Bright Hawk's actual tank on the stern.

Also means we're using most of our weight allowance on water, so we won't be able to run cargo for some extra cash. Maybe passengers, if it comes to that. Could be fun.

Waterproofing the space isn't that hard—the hippogriffs have lots of ways of building waterproof rooms, seeing as they're fish half the time. The hard part is a filtration system.

You're probably wondering why we're bothering. It's more than just the room, too. We're working on a real prosthetic to go with her rebreather, something she can walk around in if she's a fish. A third of the gold we've spent so far is just about keeping Kaelynn going.

Blake asked the sensible question on our first day. The hippogriffs gave her legs, so why bother? That's when it got strange. Kaelynn told him the magic would wear off—that she'd be back to herself unexpectedly, and drown. Everyone believed her.

Except me. I know when people lie, and she was lying.

I didn't tell her I know. I didn't ask what her real reasons are. Cuz I'm a selfish prick, and I'd rather have Kaelynn be happy with me than know our expedition has the most money it can to get home. Jordan and Blake are frothing to get to the next portal and get home, but I don’t care.

Maybe we find our way back, maybe we don't. So long as I'm with Kaelynn, I'll make it work.


Ryan probably would've kept dictating—but he sensed someone coming. The presence of two creatures pressed against his mind as they crossed the deck above. Their emotions were hazy at this distance, it was only minds he felt.

But then they descended belowdecks. Ryan heard Jordan's shout echoing through the Bright Hawk, her voice high in the confined space of the lower decks. Probably evolved to carry that way. Those ears resemble bats', it isn't just their wings. I wonder if she can use echolocation. "Everybody get in the mess now! This is important!"

That might be something for him to try when she wasn't around. Though lately he hadn't copied any of his friends, or any female creatures. Maybe Ryan was less flexible than everyone thought.

Jordan didn't sound worried. As she got closer, Ryan clarified what he felt from her into eagerness. She'd found something she thought they all needed to see.

He walked out of the workshop, alone for the first time in days. Kaelynn was all the way down in the hold with her book, for reasons she hadn't shared but had made her radiate embarrassment when she said it. He would ask later.

Ryan was still wearing the body of the naval officer, and nothing else. With the sweat of hard work and confined quarters, it was far easier not to get their scarce clothes dirty. It wasn't like they covered anything regardless.

Blake and Galena beat him there, smelling like sawdust and varnish. A good smell, far better than what they'd found waiting for them in most of the crew quarters.

"This better be important," Blake muttered, tanged with sour annoyance. "We have to wait 72 hours for the coat to dry. Putting it aside like this is a waste."

"It's damn important." Jordan emerged from the steps, leading a hippogriff behind her. The creature dressed like one of dozens of local sailors they'd seen, with one obvious exception: instead of a magical necklace of fishyness, she wore an honest-to-god cross around her neck.

"Where's Kaelynn? I want everyone here."

"Here," said Kaelynn, passing up the hallway from below. The same hallway where they'd fought for their lives, and left an evil pirate dead. Kaelynn sounded like she'd been up for days taking final exams—and not done well. "What is it?"

"Who," Jordan said, beaming. "Everyone, this is Janet. Janet, this is everyone." She went through them each in turn, including using Galena's fake name, Allison. The one they used whenever they talked about her around hippogriffs. They needed to think she was from Earth, after all.

"That's an interesting name," Blake said. "And your jacket. That's really something."

She grinned, spinning in a slow circle so the others could see. The entire back of the sailor's coat was an American flag, vibrant and impossible to miss. "I don't even have to ask," she said. Ages were hard to read from aliens, but she sounded older than they were. Mid-thirties maybe, with a distinctly Hispanic accent.

"That's good, I'm on the clock. So are all of you, and you didn't even know it. You're damn lucky I found you before you flew off somewhere."

They all stared, completely dumbfounded. Even Jordan's eagerness and pride weighed a tad. Maybe she wasn't so happy with what she'd dragged home after all.

As usual, Blake was the first to respond. "You're from Earth too. We'd love to know which Worldgate—we've been having a helluva time finding one that isn't dangerous and unusable."

She settled down at their table, then helped herself to one of the drinks there—simple glass bottles with corks, which she deftly opened with one of her claws. Only after taking a long sip did she finally speak.

"San Jose to Ponyville," she said. "But you can't use it—Worldgate’s gone. That's why I'm stuck here in the first place, comprende? But you're here now, which means you know about a way back. Wherever it is, we have to go there, right now. Quit this airship shit, close up whatever you've been doing. If you ever want to be human again, we turn around and sail there right now."

Ryan watched from the edge of the room, keeping his expression neutral. The stranger would have no idea that he could read her emotions, no idea that he would sense deception from her as soon as she thought of it herself.

But she wasn't lying. Every word was absolute conviction, tinged with desperation. She's not looking out for us, she's worried about her own skin.

But justifiably so, if what she said was true.

"How did you find us?" Jordan asked. "We only sailed into Mount Aris a week ago. Are birds talking about having aliens in their port?"

She laughed, taking another long draw from the drink. It was just sugary coconut water—the locals didn't seem to have carbonation, and they hadn't bought any alcohol.

Yet.

"They're talking about you everywhere," Janet said. "It was all I've heard since I arrived last night. Travelers from far away fought off pirates, rescued their hostages and set them free.

"No two of them were alike, creatures never before seen and thought extinct. I happen to know what that meant—Worldgates don't have a preference for what they make you, except that it has four legs. Worst you could tell me was that I was wrong. But I'm not wrong."

"Not on that," Blake agreed. "But about what you think—we're not brave explorers making an airship to chart this new world. We're stuck, same as you must be. The way back behind us is blocked, just like yours."

"We are brave explorers," Jordan argued. "We just have priorities. We can't show the world our discovery if we're stuck on this side."

Janet swore, deflating like a punctured gasbag. She banged the glass onto the table, hard. "Then you're as doomed as I am. Stuck, soon to be forever. God didn't lead me to you—maybe Satan instead. Curse me with hope, before the end."

There was a long, awkward silence. Galena looked between them like the newcomer was completely insane, though she didn't actually say anything. Galena was healing well, all things considered. Her patchy feathers were coming in healthy, and her shriveled body was gradually returning to normal with proper meals.

But around strangers, she still didn't speak much. Particularly hippogriffs.

None of the others had to taste that despair. Ryan stiffened, and didn't wait for permission. "We have a map of other Worldgates," he said. "Every one of them has been unsafe so far—but there are dozens. So far, they've all been there. We're retrofitting the Bright Hawk so we can sail between them, and find one that works."

Janet reacted instantly. She sat up, a feeble smile spreading across her beak. "Other Worldgates... you have to take me." She stumbled towards Jordan. "I've been here for months, I know the land! I have connections back in Equestria, and I can work. I know things. Please."

It all came out so fast that even Ryan had a hard time making sense of it all. Jordan's mouth just fell open, confused.

"We'll have to talk about specifics," Blake said. "It wouldn't be a free ride—a ship this big takes work to crew, and work to repair. But if you're willing, then... it would be wrong to leave one of us behind."

Janet nearly jumped up into the air. She spun, and actually glided over to Blake, taking his leg, and shaking it vigorously in both claws. She muttered something incomprehensible in Spanish, then switched back to nervous English. "Thank you, thank you! I swear by the Virgin you won't regret it."

PreviousChapters Next