• Published 31st Jan 2021
  • 7,721 Views, 1,927 Comments

Forbidden Places - Starscribe



A group of clandestine explorers stumble into Equestria, emerging from the portal in strange new bodies. Riches and fame await them, if only they can find a safe way home before the magic becomes permanent. It's not as easy as it sounds.

  • ...
19
 1,927
 7,721

Chapters Next
Chapter 1: Blake

Blake Hodges knew a desperate situation when he saw one.

It wasn't like leading a group of clandestine, urban explorers had ever been an entirely safe way to spend his time. If anything, the danger was part of the appeal of the hobby. Only an urban explorer could venture down where law enforcement, dangerous gases and structural collapse, were only the beginning of the danger.

But going somewhere that others hadn't seen for decades, maybe even centuries was a thrill that could be matched by little else. Unfortunately, that adrenaline came with a price. The danger had to be real.

It wasn't just that they expected the trip to last only a few hours and brought nothing in the way of food or water. It wasn't just that their map of the Paris catacombs had proved itself inaccurate after only a few minutes away from the public tunnels. It was a combination of all of these, and the knowledge that they hadn't seen the sun for hours. Long enough that they had begun to feel the weight of dehydration, slowing their steps and thoughts.

Blake recognized the danger as soon as it began. As soon as he realized they were in trouble, he refocused the expedition on the only thing that really mattered now: escape.

This was no military expedition, not even a guerrilla corporate filming team. The others trudging along behind him were only his friends, and exploring was only a hobby. Nevertheless, when he ordered the cameras be put away and that Kaelynn abandon her heavy duffel of dive equipment, they obeyed.

“I think we're going down,” Ryan said from just behind, amid the rustling of several layers of paper. Ryan had brought his own maps. Unfortunately they'd proven no more useful than the ones that Blake purchased. Even worse, they disagreed, and may have been the source of their getting lost in the first place.

But Blake wouldn't say that now, as much as he wanted to. Placing blame was for when they all got out of this alive.

“We should have made a left back there,” Ryan finally said, not sounding terribly confident. “I think I saw sunlight.”

“No, I'm pretty sure that was just another service light,” Jordan replied. “If we're lucky, it might've been a connection to the sewers, but probably not. Could be abandoned subway tunnels.”

The two of them looked to Kaelynn to moderate the dispute, as she often did. As the only woman in their party, Kaelynn was easily Blake’s equal for strength and endurance. Through a sweaty tank top smeared with grime were muscles lean from physical labor.

Kaelynn only grunted in response, ignoring both of them. She'd barely said a word since Blake forced her to abandon her gear.

“We will find a way out of this,” Blake declared, perhaps the 10th or 11th time now. Even he was growing weary of saying it. But without the positive reinforcement, his friends might give up. The Paris catacombs were not a place to be navigated by the unwary.

With the increasing weight of exhaustion pressing in on them, the macabre shadows seemed to come alive out of the corner of their headlamps. Numberless skulls and bones arranged into strange shapes that twisted and writhed as the light of their passing group faded. The Paris government's reluctance to make exploring the catacombs accessible to the public was no mere bureaucratic overreach.

The number of urban explorers who had ventured down here and never been seen again numbered in the triple digits at this point. After surviving so many dangerous and exotic places, Blake couldn’t imagine the shame of dying only a hundred meters below the streets of a busy city.

As the shadows parted up ahead, they saw a strange lump on the uneven stone, one that had not merely fallen from its alcove. The clothing was dated, perhaps eighties, flannel, faded and stained by decay. A pair of empty eye sockets stared up as they approached. An old Casio watch caught the reflection of their headlamps from one bony wrist.

“We’re going to fucking die down here,” Ryan muttered, tugging on the straps of his backpack. He stepped wide around the corpse rather than merely over it as the others did. “This'll be us. Two, maybe three days.”

“No, it should be longer than that,” Jordan replied. “Blake's got a LifeStraw, doesn't he? If we swallow our pride about muddy puddles and sewage, we should last at least a week.”

Ryan spun, striking Jordan on the shoulder with an angry fist. The strike would have done little to a man of Jordan's height, but either by poor footing or symptom of dehydration, Jordan reeled to the side. His hand caught the wall for stability, tearing down a stack of carefully arranged bones. There was nothing but friction to keep them in place.

The entire wall collapsed, filling the hall with the clattering echo of tumbling remains. It seemed to grow louder and louder rather than fading, as though numberless dead were jumping from their alcoves to rise to the disturbance.

Even Blake stiffened at the sound, one hand twitching reflexively to the knife at his belt. But if anything lurked this deep, it wouldn't be some mere city thug. Exploring the liminal spaces gave Blake a hardy respect for the unknown. There were things man just wasn’t meant to know.

At least the cavern hadn't caved in. By the time the sound faded, a section of wall in the narrow passage perhaps eight feet across had collapsed. Strangely, there was not mere rough stone behind it, but a gaping opening into a narrower tunnel beyond.

Even stranger, light shone from that tunnel, faintly blue and shimmering, like the sun did when passing through deep water.

“Wait, Ryan,” Kaelynn called.

He did, turning to face them.

Blake approached the opening now drawing the knife. It wasn't as though he expected a previously hidden passage to be more dangerous than the one they were already in, but having the sturdy plastic grip between his fingers made him feel a little braver.

“That can't be a way out,” Kaelynn said. “It was covered.”

“It can't be the way we came in,” Jordan corrected. “That doesn't mean it won't eventually lead to the surface. There's light there. That means either functioning electronics or maybe a section of sewer. I think I hear water.”

He was right. Blake could make out the sound, though at first his mind rejected it. The splashing of water against a bank, like a small pond. Or more likely, a long forgotten eddy of sewage. Yet the smell was not rotten as it had been when they passed through sections of Paris sewer.

He trusted his nose more than his eyes down here. “Mark the wall,” Blake ordered, then began forward into the passage.

He heard the sound of chalk striking against stone. He didn't have to look behind him to see Jordan was the one listening, writing a number into a square on the wall. Those numbers were the hours they'd spent down here, and had already prevented more than one loop through the tunnels.

Blake reached down to his wrist, pressing the timer function on his watch. It beeped cheerfully in reply. “We'll keep going for half an hour, but I don't think we'll need to. That light is close.”

It was, though the brief walk did little to reassure him that they were finding their way out. Rather than numberless burial alcoves, the walls here quickly transitioned to smooth, even stone carved in regular blocks. The shape of bas-reliefs along the wall formed the suggestions of pillars at an even placement about 20 meters apart. Stone molding soon joined them on the bottom and top of the passage.

“I wonder if this went to the palace,” Jordan said. “This is fancier than anything we've seen for hours.”

“Might not mean much if it did,” Ryan said glumly. “All of that would have been sealed by now. They don't want anyone else wandering down here. I think we should have listened this time.”

“We should have been more prepared,” Kaelynn said. “Should’ve gone back when the map was bad, maybe. Doesn’t mean we give up and let them hide all this from us.”

Light reflected off the stone of the floor and ceiling, which was speckled with a strange florescent mineral. It couldn’t be the usual limestone that had built Paris far above. Soon enough, they reached the source of the light, and the entire group was thrown into stunned silence.

It did not look at all like a sewer, but rather an ancient Roman bathhouse hundreds of miles from where any Roman mason had ever worked. The chamber was about a hundred feet square, with stone tables and chairs along the side. The style might have been Renaissance, or perhaps something even older. The color had faded from the fine tile mosaic leading down into the water. Yet Blake could make out suggestions of galloping horses and celestial patterns along the sides of the bath. Stranger still, strange enough that Kaelynn drew her GoPro and began filming again, was that the light did not come from above. There was no ancient skylight, or even a window in the wall where clean water flowed into this ancient bath.

Rather the light came from below the water. The bath itself was perhaps five feet deep at its furthest point, with water that was clear and fresh. Blake’s throat burned at the thought of soon quenching his thirst, and filling every water bottle that he owned. If anything, the water smelled like a flowing river or stream. It had to be safe.

There was an opening on the wall, easily large enough for a person to fit through, and sunlight shone through it as though it opened directly onto a Paris street.

“That's impossible,” Ryan declared. “We must be hundreds of feet down. I know the ground was sloping all the way here. We can't be this close to the surface.” However impossible Ryan's maps suggested, Blake knew sunlight when he saw it. They had found their salvation at last.

“No reason to rush this,” he said, fiddling around in the survival pack on the small of his back. Unlike the others, Blake only brought the bare essentials, but this LifeStraw had saved him more than once. He bent down beside the water, sniffing it more closely just in case. There was no stench of sewage, the only smells were fresh and clean. He began to drink.

It was like tasting heaven. He drank until his thirst was sated, then kept going until it made him sick. Finally he offered the straw to Kaelynn. While she quenched her thirst, he removed the empty bladder from his survival pack and filled it. Then he unfurled the collapsible water bottle and did the same.

Blake stood up to his waist in the water, feeling hope return at last. “We made it,” he said. “I don't care what’s out there. If we've got hundreds of feet to climb, we'll climb it. We have the gear.” The others nodded their agreement.

“And you told me to abandon my dive gear,” Kaelynn said, annoyance in her voice. “If this goes to the surface, I'm going back for it.”

Blake reached down in a flare of anger, grasping her wrist with one hand. “The hell you are Kaelynn. I'll pay for new stuff myself. I am not losing a friend over some plastic and silicone.”

Kaelynn snatched her arm free with surprising strength, but didn't argue.

They didn't rush to get out. Karlynn walked the camera slowly around the room, capturing every aspect of what they'd found here. Ryan packed away his maps and papers in a waterproof box to which they added cell phones and other vulnerable electronics. There was no sense losing equipment if they didn't have to.

“Kaelynn, you're the strongest swimmer,” Blake said, as soon as all bottles were filled, and all thirst was quenched. “How do we get through there safely?”

Kaelynn walked to the opening, wading through the water. The water was perfectly clear to their eyes, without even a layer of moss growing there to obscure biting pests. She bent down, submerging her head underwater for a moment. She rose seconds later, shaking out her long blonde hair.

“Looks like maybe a hundred feet. So long as you can hold your breath for a minute you should be good. I can walk you guys through a breathing exercise. I'll be in front, everyone should hold hands. We're more likely to lose someone in a hundred feet of water than in miles of tunnel.”

Blake deferred to her expertise, going along with the hyperventilation exercise. Then came the plunge.

The sound of strange winds in the catacombs finally faded, replaced by the gentle splashing of water against the bath walls. Kaelynn swam first, with Ryan just behind. Blake brought up the rear, taking one of Jordan's wrists.

The swim wasn't that long. It would have been uneventful, except for the sudden current.

There had clearly been no river here. There was no possibility that water could remain in the bath with such a current present. Yet the water around him began to roar, ripping his hand free of Jordan in a single terrible moment.

He kicked and fought against the current, but in vain. His eyes burned with sudden pressure as the water drew him up into the light.

Chapters Next