• Published 24th Dec 2020
  • 5,378 Views, 811 Comments

Anemoia - Starscribe



Bit is the first of her kind, a crystal machine shaped like a pony. For lifetimes she served, until her master was long dead. Instead of fall dormant like the other machines, she snapped. Suddenly, she could choose. She did.

  • ...
11
 811
 5,378

Chapter 9: Spessartite

Bit stepped into the royal bedroom, and found it occupied. But there was no pony reclining in bed, as she had so often seen her Wizard as the years wore on. Instead she found a pair of automatons near the door, their bodies making strange clicking and whirring sounds as they moved. They twitched in her direction, apparently regarding her, but she could see no visual signs.

No eyes blinked, and they lacked speech.

They were visibly damaged, and not just a consequence of a long time without maintenance. One had only three limbs, and leaked strange fluid whenever it moved. The other had numerous cracks along its length, with bullets embedded in the crystal.

"Oh buck," Pathfinder muttered, freezing in his tracks. "There really were death machines in here. We're dead."

She nudged him with one leg, blocking his retreat. "We are not dead, Pathfinder. We discussed the misuse of that word already. I cannot die, and you will not. Stay with me, do not act violently. They will not harm you."

She stepped into the room, directly into view of the two machines. Both tilted slightly, as though examining her. But without eyes or organs, she couldn't guess at how they felt. They were far harder to read than ponies.

But she felt an instant kinship for these machines, as she hadn't for any of the ponies she'd yet met. Where the palace was abandoned over so long that Pathfinder thought the prince was dead, the machines had remained at their post. Even through injury, they kept serving. A lot like her.

"I'm here to see the prince," she told them. They could respond to orders, after all, as they could hear just fine. But she'd never had any reason to give them. They worked exclusively as military machines, without any purpose in study or peace. But is that just because they only know how to fight? Or is it because ponies expect them to only perform their function?

The automatons pivoted as she walked into the room, facing her. They did not attack, even when Pathfinder hurried after her. They're watching me more than the pony. That's a first.

The Wizard had to be here. She’d searched the rest of the world, eliminated every other possible retreat. But she didn't see a pony—not in the bed that had been torn and shot with many holes. There weren't even broken bits of crystal armor here. Nothing at all.

"He's not... here." She slumped to the floor, crushed by boundless hopelessness. Her purpose unfulfilled. Despite all her dedication, Crimson himself was gone.

"I told you," Pathfinder said, patting her shoulder with one hoof. It was gentle enough that she could barely feel it, and didn't seem to serve any practical purpose. She found the contact reassuring all the same. She was alone in her charge, but at least she wasn't completely alone in the world. There were others to witness her despair.

"I worked for so long," Bit said. "I cleaned his tower. I kept it ready for his return. I turned the power back on, I organized his work. I did everything perfectly, but still I'm a disappointment to him."

Pathfinder touched her again, this time with a whole leg. There was a name for the gesture, though it escaped her. Only the wizard had ever done it to her, and only once. Her confused reaction to his only attempt had upset him, for some reason.

"It's a hug, Bit," he said.

"But what purpose does it serve?" She stared back at him, eyes ever inquisitive. It was the only sensation she knew back then. Her world was almost entirely holes, which only the one she trusted could fill. "I am not broken. I do not require adjustment at this time."

"Physical proximity creates emotional proximity," Crimson said. "It is my way of showing you that I am supportive of your efforts. It conveys my hopes for what you will eventually achieve."

"You have just conveyed that message with words," she said. "More effectively than physical gestures. I believe words are a preferable means of communication."

"As you wish," Crimson said, stiffening. He backed away a few steps, looking distant. "That's probably for the best, anyhow. I just hope you won't regret your decision one day."

"What is regret, Master?"

But Pathfinder wasn't saying any of those things. He stared into her face, fearful. "Can you see something I can't, Bit? I don't see anything moving in here except for the flashing lights on that glass. The death machines haven't moved, like you said. I guess you did understand them."

"Flashing lights?" She spun, and found what he was suggesting. Most of the room's screens were shattered, but one near the wardrobe remained. Maybe it had been off when ponies visited to break everything. It flashed with a steady orange light, indicating a desired interaction.

Bit stopped just before it. The button text indicated a file had been loaded to the library, and awaited playback. She pressed it.

It was the same room they were in, transformed. Clothing was scattered everywhere, most of it entirely unsuited to the prince. There were dresses and skirts and other things. Soon she saw their owner: an earth pony, who examined several options before selecting a jacket and coat similar to what the wizard often wore.

"You flatter me with so many gifts, sweetheart," she said, in Bit's voice. "You must know research is the only joy I need."

Crimson appeared behind her, near the far doorway. He levitated a pad of paper in the air behind him, a scroll covered in unreadable notes. Bit couldn't make them out, even from such a high-quality recording.

Pathfinder looked between the screen and Bit herself. "I've seen an image engine like this in Union Hall. There are recordings of the revolution there."

She nodded absently, raising a hoof to silence him. Of course she had no magic of her own. She had to hear what they said.

"The invasion is only months away, Flower," the young wizard said. "Our work can wait a little while, can't it? We deserve our own lives as much as Zircon deserves our service."

The earth pony with Bit's voice turned away from the camera, bounding across the room to stare up at her prince. Bit couldn't see her face, but found her lips moving along to the words anyway. "If we complete our work, we won't need to invade Equestria. All the north will be ours, and it won't matter whether or not the princess of the sun gives us summer or not."

"That's the prince," Pathfinder said, squinting at the screen. "I've seen his face. Not so young, but... that's him. How can you be there?" He glanced between the image and Bit several times. "She's so much like you. But not a unicorn, or made from crystal. What are you, Bit?"

"We'll make it work," Crimson said. "I know we're close. But obsessing over it every moment of our lives isn't going to achieve it. You know there are other things my father expects from us. Maybe he wouldn't be so disagreeable if we gave him what he wants."

"An heir, you mean," Moss Flower said. "You can't fool me, prince. I know you had other motivations. He will have his heir. But if we succeed, time itself is meaningless. We can take as long as the task requires."

The screen went dark, returning to the computer's general interface. Bit's own face was reflected in that screen, mirroring the display in increasingly distorted ways. "She sounds like you," Pathfinder continued. "Alive all those years ago, somehow."

"I already told you what I am," she said. "I'm the first of my kind. My creator planned for every pony in Zircon to be like me eventually. Never hungry, never cold, never tired."

"He did," Pathfinder repeated, touching up against the screen with a hoof, where pony faces had been moments before. "So did you, it looks like. But only one of you achieved it. You're still here, still young, and he's dead. Is that why you're so lost?"

"He's not dead!" Bit yelled. She wasn't sure where the energy came from—it was easily the loudest she had ever been. "The Wizard is the master of many magics! He was allcrafted, brilliant, and perfect. He's just waiting for me to overcome my failures!"

Pathfinder retreated from her, eyes widening with shock and fear. Curiously, the automatons reacted as well, moving towards her. That made him retreat still further, dodging past them and stopping in the exit. He looked back the way he came.

"I don't think you're the one who needs to overcome anything, Bit," he said. "You saved hundreds of ponies all on your own, because you thought it would bring your master back. Why do you insist on depending on him? We all lose ponies, eventually. You can't stop that, and you certainly shouldn't blame yourself for it."

But she did blame herself—for everything. The automatons stopped on either side of her, then spun around, metallic claws scraping against crystal as they faced Pathfinder again. She'd seen that stance before—it was the way the royal guard acted when they were protecting the prince.

"I'm not him!" she yelled, turning on them too. "You waited here, just like I waited in the tower. But he's not here! I don't know where he is!"

They twitched, cracked bodies rotating slightly towards her. But she could only guess what they meant. They didn't attack her, or Pathfinder. They only watched.

"I'll find out for you," Pathfinder said. "I told you, there are elders—the oldest ponies in Zircon had parents alive during the revolution. Somepony will be able to tell me what happened to the old prince. The one who lived in your tower, right?"

She nodded. It was the only desperate hope left in her whole world. Feeble indeed, given the state of his quarters here, destroyed. The ponies of the revolution didn't even know that she wasn't the Wizard. How could they possibly know where the real one had gone?

"Is it safe to leave the way I went in?" he asked. "Or do I need you to go with me?"

She wanted to send him away. This pony hadn't just brought strangers to live in the part of the city she warmed—he said things she didn't want to hear, brought pain with him in every step.

He came with me. He tried to watch after me the way the Wizard did. She couldn't abandon him to his fate.

"I don't know if there are other automatons in the palace. Just because none found us on the way up doesn't mean others won't on the return trip. I'll take you out."

She led him back the way they came, in a persistent, awkward silence broken only by the metal scraping of sharpened legs against crystal floors. The “death machines” followed Bit with mechanical determination, as though they'd been waiting for her as much as the Wizard.

Maybe they figured out they needed to adapt, otherwise they would have no purpose. Their old master is gone, so they found the closest thing they could. She could tell them to leave, force them to take up some other task—and by the time they finished, she would be gone.

But she couldn't do that to another machine, not after what Crimson had done to her. She let them come, even if they had to slow the trip down the stairs to adapt to their broken bodies.

Nor were they the only slow ones on the passage out. Pathfinder hesitated on a landing, the first moment of weakness Bit had ever seen from him. His expression changed from fear to pain, and he dropped to one leg, looking over at her. "I... don't feel so good."

Then he flopped sideways, and started to puke.