• Published 1st Mar 2021
  • 1,420 Views, 109 Comments

Rarity's Gift - Silver Wit



It's better to give than receive and on a cold winter night, fortune smiles on a very generous mare.

  • ...
4
 109
 1,420

Chapter 3: Knocking on Chaos' Door.

After eating her fill of waffles and cleaning up the kitchen, Rarity decided to put her plan into action and track down the Lord of Chaos and have him end this weird excursion with a snap of his claw. The only problem with that is-

“Where the devil can I find Discord? It’s not like I can just pop by his home, knock on the door and have him return me back, he just comes and goes as he pleases.” Rarity paced back and forth in her room thinking out loud as Cobalt rolled around on her bed, listening to his mother without understanding a single word and just reveling in the softness of the quilt beneath him.

“Is there a way to summon him? Perhaps if I say his name three times he’ll just appear? Or perhaps if I cause enough chaos it’ll draw him in like a magnet. But my workroom is nothing but chaos and he’s never appeared there before, thank Celestia for that. Hmm, think Rarity, think. How can you find somepony who’s unpredictable?” Rarity closed her eyes and rubbed her chin, deep in thought. Cobalt mimicked Rarity’s thinking position to the best of his abilities.

Just then a bulb lit above Rarity as she was struck with inspiration like a falling flowerpot. “I’m going about this the wrong way. I shouldn’t be trying to track Discord down, what I need is to find somepony who can track him down. And I know just the pony for the job.”

“Ga ja!” Cobalt seemed to cheer.

“Yes, I am rather proud of myself for coming up with that idea. Now, there isn’t a moment to lose, I must be off to see Fluttershy posthaste!” Rarity sprinted out of the room, not wanting to waste a single second on this new lead. Cobalt tilted his head and then kept rolling around on his parent’s bed. He rolled about giggling until he rolled too close to the edge and fell. Right before hitting the floor, the little foal was enveloped by a light blue magic aura.

“Oh dear! I’m so sorry Cobalt! I’m not exactly used to caring for foals. I certainly can’t leave you here all by your lonesome can I? Let’s see, I’m almost certain there’d be a foal seat or a stroller around here. What parent wouldn’t have one of those?” Rarity placed Cobalt on her back and left the room again, with a little dragon colt hugging her neck.

Rarity poked around the ground floor of the boutique looking for a safer way to carry the giggling bundle and after three closets, she finally found what she was looking for. It looked like a saddlebag but instead of pouches for random items it had little holes for legs to poke through. “Aha! A foal seat. Now, let’s get you dressed up and we’ll take a nice stroll over to auntie Fluttershy’s.”

Rarity fitted Cobalt with a wool hat, scarf and hoof warmers before placing him into one of the pockets of the foal seat. After making sure he was nice and snug as a bug in a rug, Rarity trotted to the door and grabbed her scarf from the hook on the wall. At least she thinks it’s her scarf. It was the same scarf she grabbed almost on instinct when she ran out of the house in a blind panic. She didn’t really give it much of a look over at the time, but she couldn’t help but feel some kind of strange nostalgia for it. She felt like she’d had it for years. It was a knitted scarf, not exactly top of the line or fancy, but it was warm and the same blue as Rarity’s eyes. She wrapped the scarf around her and stepped outside. She didn’t feel cold at all, her entire body felt warm like she slipped into a hot bath. She absentmindedly sniffed the scarf and the subtle scent of a burning fireplace filled her senses.

Rarity wasn’t sure why, but her heart was fluttering again. “Why am I getting so worked up over a scarf? It’s just a scarf, albeit a possibly magic scarf, but still just a scarf.” Rarity turned back to see Cobalt playing with his little claws one moment and gazing at the Snow-covered ground in amazement the next. “Well, we better get a move on. The sooner we find Discord the better. Goodness, that’s a sentence I never thought I’d ever say.”


The path to Fluttershy’s cottage looked like it was right out of a picture book. The trees that lined the dirt road were all frosted with snow, making them look like an edible display. The chirping of birds were as clear as crystal in the brisk air as the occasional squirrel would scurry about in the powder. Soon enough the humble abode of a particular timid Pegasus came into view and Rarity trotted up to the door. “Please, please, please, tell me she’s home,” she quietly prayed. After a firm knock and a few seconds, the door opened revealing the familiar buttery yellow, pink maned Pegasus. She was covered in white dust and her apron had similar stains.

“Oh, good morning Rarity!” Fluttershy greeted happily/ “And good morning to you too Cobalt. Don’t you look so precious in your wittle hat?”

“Fa sha!!” Cobalt laughed and wiggled in his seat.

“Good morning Fluttershy,” Rarity replied. “I hope we’re not interrupting anything.”

Fluttershy waved her hoof. “Not at all, I was just baking gingerbread for Twilight’s party. What can I help you with?”

“Well, you see darling I’m in a bit of a bind at the moment and I could really use Discord’s assistance. Do you perchance know where he is?”

“Of course I do silly,” Fluttershy giggled. “Discord! Somepony’s here to see you!” she called out in a singsong voice.

Discord appeared behind Rarity with a pop and a puff of smoke, causing her to jump in surprise and Cobalt to clap his hooves in amusement. “Ah Rarity! How nice it Is to see you again! Did you come to help with the baking?” Discord tossed a small gingerbread cookie in his likeness into his mouth.

“Er, no. I… have a problem that only you can help me with.”

Discord raised a brow in confusion as if Rarity just asked the most bizarre request of the century.

Fluttershy sniffed the air. Oh dear! The gingerbread! I’ll be inside if you need me!” Fluttershy spun on her hooves and ran back inside her cottage.

“Well, well, well! Isn’t this an interesting development?” Discord mused as he hung from the air. “Now what in the world could you need my help for? Need a Hearths Warming gift idea for Spike? Or perhaps you want me to prank Prince Blueblood? It’s been a while since I turned his mane green and his coat plaid. Perhaps I’ll switch it up this time.”

“No, no, nothing like that. It’s, um.... Alright I know this is going to sound daft coming from me, but you’re the only one who’d believe a word of it.”

“Is this about the strange pink bird lady that visited your shop last night?” Discord asked as casually as he would ask Rarity what she’s having for dinner tonight.

Rarity blinked. “W-wha- how did you-?”

“Oh that’d be my cousin Eris, you know she insists on being called the ‘Princess of Fortune?’ A bit pretentious if you ask me.”

“She’s your cousin!?” Rarity gawked.

“What? You can’t see the family resemblance? No wonder you couldn’t even recognize your own foals.”

“So you know what she did to me? And that I’m not where I belong?”

“Of course I do! I’m the Lord of Chaos, bender of time and space, ripper of reality, and master of the multi-verse. I’d recognize my cousin’s handiwork anywhere.”

Rarity’s eyes began to shimmer. “Does this mean you can send me back to where I came from?”

“I could, but I’m not going to.”

Rarity sputtered, “B-b-but, why ever not!?”

“I don’t want to step on Eris’s claws and using chaos to undo chaos doesn’t really turn out well for anypony, and that’s coming from me. Besides, Eris did this for you for a reason. What I can’t seem to figure out is why she’s being so nice to you in the first place. Maybe she got whacked with the reformation stick as well?”

“But this isn’t real!” Rarity was finally starting to lose her patience with the wily Draconeques. “It’s just a fantasy world! A dream! What reason is there for keeping me here?”

“Sorry, but I’m strictly forbidden to give you any spoilers,” Discord said before drawing a zipper across his lips.

“Of course you are! Why am I not surprised? I should’ve known you’d rather watch me chase my own tail than actually help.”

Discord pulled a knife out of his chest. “Ouch! I know you’re angry but that was quite harsh Rarity. I can’t help you because Eris wants you to figure it out on your own… and if we’re being completely honest, she gave me an incentive.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Oh? And what might that be? A life time supply of limburger cheese?”

“The one thing I want more than anything in the world…” Discord’s voice was void of any and all mirth or jollity. He sounded… serious.

Discord snapped his claw and he, Rarity and Cobalt teleported to the living room, the scent of gingerbread wafted through the air, making Rarity hungry all over again. Discord motioned Rarity to follow him to the kitchen where Fluttershy was fanning sheets of gingerbread with her wing as she began mixing another batch of dough.

“Let’s see, eggs, flour, molasses, oh dear I need to grate more ginger.”

“Mama, mama! I wanna lick the spoon!”

Rarity’s breath caught in her throat. Mama? There was a filly at Fluttershy’s hooves jumping up and down, trying to get the buttery pegasus’ attention. The filly was a Pegasus herself, at least that’s what Rarity could assume. She had yellow wings, but instead of being tipped with feathers, the bottom half of her wings were blue and leathery. Her mane was pink and white and she had a light brown coat and a ring of yellow fluffy fur around her neck; with the rest of her head being yellow as well. Her body was slightly longer than a normal filly, but what stood out most to Rarity was her legs and tail. She had Discord’s snake like tail, her back legs were that of a pony’s but her left foreleg looked scaly and her hoof looked more like a dragon claw and her right foreleg was that of a tiger’s with a matching paw.

Fluttershy giggled, “Not yet Jinx, mama still needs the spoon. But as soon as I’m done with this batch it’ll be all yours.”

“Yay! Gingerbread spoon! Mama’s the best mama in all of Equestria!” Jinx’s ear twitched and she turned her head around like an owl, her eyes were a vibrant pink and she had Fluttershy’s muzzle. “Daddy!" The filly ran up to Discord, leapt into his arms and snuggled into his fluffy chest.

Discord wrapped his arms around the filly. “Hiya Jinxie! How’s daddy’s little troublemaker?”

“I’m being a good girl so mama will give me the gingerbread spoon!”

“I hope that’s not the only reason you’re behaving,” Fluttershy remarked over her shoulder.

“Oh, hi Mrs. Rarity!” Jinx greeted. “Where’s Lolite?”

“She... she has school today dear,” Rarity replied.

“Awww, but I wanna play! Why can’t I go to school with Lolite and the rest of my friends?” Jinx huffed.

“Don’t worry sweetheart, you’re finally old enough,” Fluttershy said as she pulled her head out of the oven. “As soon as the new year starts, you’ll be going to the same school as Lolite.” Fluttershy held up the spoon caked in gingerbread dough and her daughter’s eyes shined before she jumped from Discord to Fluttershy and began licking and chewing on the silver utensil.

Discord snapped his talons and a scroll popped into existence. “Here’s that recipe for gem scones I was telling you about Rarity, I’m sure Spike will love them.” Discord winked and Rarity caught on to what he was playing at.

“O-oh yes! Yes I think Spike will be happy with this, thank you very much. Well, I suppose I should be off then, good day Fluttershy.”

“Goodbye Rarity, see you at the party. Be a good boy for your mommy, ok Cobalt?” Fluttershy cooed.

Cobalt waved his little hoof-claws at her and giggled.

Rarity trotted to the front door with Discord following behind her. As soon as they were outside and out of earshot from anypony else Rarity turned to Discord.

“I’m sorry Discord… I-I didn’t know you had a family of your own in this world.”

Discord sighed, “They’re the most wonderful ponies in my life. Jinx is a real hoof full like me, but just as kind as her mother and I’m sure someday she’ll be just as beautiful. And waking up next to Fluttershy makes me happier than you’ll ever know.”

Rarity nodded. “I understand. I suppose I’ll just handle getting back to my world on my own. Thank you anyways Discord. Good day.

Rarity began to walk back down the path to Ponyville proper before she was plucked and plopped back before Discord. “There is one piece of advice I can give you,” the Lord of Chaos said in his normal flighty tone. “If I were you, I’d take a stroll down memory lane.”

“Memory lane?”

Before Rarity could press any further, Discord snapped his claws and vanished into thin air.

Author's Note:

And there's the official name drop for Eris, though some readers may have already known who she was by chapter one. FYI the MLP comics are surprisingly deep and with lore as rich as chocolate truffles, but I digress. This chapter was fun and not to toot my own horn, but I really like Jinx, her name, her features and her ability to turn her head 180 degrees.

I really wanted to emphasize the blending of her parents since I don't like it when Discord kids are basically just Discord in a wig with the mother's mane color the only other discerning feature, (no offense to any Pandora fans out there) but also remembering that chaos is unpredictable and gave her traits similar to Discord, but not exact. Only bummer is that I'm gonna have to come up with different names for any future FlutterCord foals in my other stories. Though I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun designing them.

Next chapter shouldn't be too long a wait. Just need to add a thing here and there and some polish and it'll be ready for prime time.

P.S. sorry for the delay, my editor was backed up and I really didn't want to post this chapter without some screening.

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter, I love reading the comments.

As always, thanks for reading. See you next time :raritywink:

Silver Wit