• Published 25th Sep 2020
  • 3,964 Views, 250 Comments

Auntie Tia's Matchmaking Service - Shaslan



Princess Celestia has retired, but that doesn't mean her little ponies have stopped needing her. She puts her skills to good use in her new business, but her new clients are tough customers. Have Celestia's matchmaking abilities met their match?

  • ...
26
 250
 3,964

Chapter 5

Celestia trotted back into Ponyville proper, her mind already on her next appointment. Her final call of the day before she could head off to the Castle of the Two Sisters. She would need to take a few hours to properly prepare Luna’s ‘welcome home’ breakfast. Luna never tired of this special meal, consisting of huge stacks of pancakes and strawberries that the sisters grew themselves in the little kitchen garden they had established.

Her thoughts full of pleasure at the prospect of seeing her sister, Celestia headed into the main square of Ponyville and headed for the ornate building at its centre. The Carousel Boutique.

She stooped to enter the little door, and her horn knocked against a little bell that tinkled her arrival.

“We’ll be with you in just a moment!” Rarity’s voice called, echoed by the lower bass rumble of Yona, the new manager of this particular Boutique.

A clatter of hooves on the stairs, and Sandbar hastened into view. “Welcome to the Carousel Boutique!” he began, hardly looking up from the abacus he held. “Madame Yona will be—” He took in Celestia’s presence at last and stopped short. “Oh, Princess! Welcome. You have an appointment with Rarity, right? I’ll let her know you’re here.”

He ducked into the back room, and after a few moments Rarity appeared, her mane a little rumpled and her mouth full of pins. “Celestia, darling!” she said, the obstruction to her mouth not seeming to impede her speech at all. “You’re right on time. Yona and I were just working on a commission for Fleur de Lis’ sixtieth birthday. A very lovely gown. Timelessly elegant, just like Fleur herself.” She levitated a pincushion over from a nearby workbench and pushed the pins she held into it one by one. “But of course, you’re here for your own gown.”

Celestia simply nodded. She had always loved formal gowns, and Rarity’s were without compare — excepting possibly those of Fancy Stitch, a Canterlot tailor who had lived several hundred years ago and whose work Celestia had absolutely adored.

“What is the occasion this time?” Rarity asked, crossing to the wall of cubbyholes, each one containing a bolt of fabric. They were arranged by shade and colour, every hue of the rainbow stretching across the curved surface of the wall. Rarity began to pull a few out — a pale rose pink, a gentle aqua blue.

“No particular occasion,” Celestia said easily. “I just realised it has been a few years since last I commissioned you, and I decided that I rather desperately needed a new hoof-made Rarity gown.”

“Lovely, darling,” Rarity said appreciatively. “So no specific brief? No colours in mind?”

“No,” Celestia confirmed. She carried the second reason for her visit in the saddlebags she had placed on the coat-stand in the corner. Cozy Glow’s first prospective match. After long and careful thought, Celestia had picked out Prince Patrician, her own distant descendant. He was of a large and loving family, with several siblings. He carried powerful social clout, and if Cozy Glow were his wife she would be welcomed into Canterlot high society with open arms. She was sure Rarity would be pleased with the choice. Cozy Glow she was less certain of; one of several reasons she had decided to bring the match to the mother rather than the daughter. Another reason was that she didn’t quite want to be in a room alone with the diabolical little pegasus, but she pushed that thought aside. She needed a new gown, and the two tasks lined up. It was as simple as that.

“Marvellous,” Rarity went on. “I do love a little creative freedom every now and then. Especially when designing for you. Come and stand here, please.” She gestured Celestia onto a small podium surrounded by mirrors, each one twice the height of a normal pony and therefore just large enough to catch most of Celestia’s height.

Rarity bought several bolts of silk over and began to hold them up against Celestia’s flanks. “It’s much easier now that you needn’t always wear your regalia, Princess,” she said conversationally. “Gold can limit a palette most dreadfully. But now we can choose to emphasise any of the colours in your mane! Wonderful to have so many options, don’t you think?”

Celestia smiled and nodded, and after Rarity got a faceful of undulating mane, she busied herself tying it back, where it could not wave so freely.

“This will be the twentieth gown I’ve made for you, you know,” Rarity remarked, as she began to sketch some rough shapes onto scrap fabric with a piece of chalk.

“Is it really?” Celestia couldn’t remember that she had so many gowns by Rarity in her wardrobe, but then again, her wardrobe spanned seven rooms in the Castle of the Two Sisters, and three in her new Canterlot mansion. It was hardly surprising she couldn’t recall the full extent of it.

“Oh yes.” Rarity sighed happily. “Once I would hardly have been able to believe I’d make one gown for the princess of the sun. Let alone twenty!”

Celestia smiled and allowed Rarity to pin the rough draft of a dress into place on her. She turned and posed as Rarity requested, turning over in her mind how to phrase the question she wanted to ask. Had always wanted to ask.

“Rarity,” she began, and Rarity looked up in surprise, her mouth full of pins once more. “I’m afraid I have a bit of a personal question for you.”

Rarity floated the pins away from her mouth. “Please do ask, Princess.”

Celestia considered, and then looked away from Rarity and into the mirror as she spoke. “If you don’t mind me asking…why was it that you chose to adopt Cozy Glow? After everything she did? I know that I would not have been forgiving enough to make the same choice that you did.”

Rarity sighed.

Celestia turned to look anxiously down at her. “Forgive me, I’ve overstepped. I fear being away from the court begins to make me socially backward.”

Rarity waved a hoof. “No, darling, it’s…it’s alright. I’m afraid that over the years I’ve had to get rather used to ponies asking me that question.” She paused, and put a few more tacking stitches into place. “I suppose it was a little easier for me to forgive. Cozy never drained my magic in the way that she did yours. Twilight has explained to me how violating an experience that can be.” She snipped off a thread, and looked up at Celestia once more. “I suppose it was seeing her that first time…in the Canterlot Savings Bank. A few months after she was unfrozen. She’d broken out of Tartarus for perhaps the seventh time.” Her eyes took on a faraway expression, and Celestia could tell that Rarity was no longer truly looking at her.

“It had been a long time since I had last seen her. Ten, twelve years had passed for me. I’d grown up — I was a whole new mare. But for Cozy, it was no time at all. I looked at her, standing on top of that big mound of gold, screaming at the ponies on the floor and waving her energy crystal around, and I realised that she was still just that same little foal.” A wistful smile played around her lips.

“I saw her much more clearly than I ever had before. When I was young, everything was so black and white. Cozy Glow was…evil, I thought. Locking her up, trapping her in stone; it seemed the only rational thing to do. But as you age, you begin to see things differently— as I’m sure you know well, darling,” she said, returning to the present and giving Celestia that charming, slightly flirtatious smile that she used with everypony.

Celestia giggled. “If that is true, I must have had more viewpoints than anypony else in the world.”

Rarity smiled back. “That is almost certainly true, I’m sure. But seeing her there, so small and so angry, I could suddenly see what it seemed nopony else ever had. Cozy…she was just a foal. A scared little foal. And she was so, so lonely, and had been so for so long, that it warped her, and changed her into the broken little filly who tried to break everything and everypony the same way she was broken. And then I saw what I could do for her, what I could give her. The thing nopony else would give her.”

Celestia nodded encouragingly, entranced by Rarity’s tale. She had never heard the mare speak of it before in such detail.

“A second chance.” Rarity let out her breath in a whoosh of air, dissipating the tension, and scooped up the needle from where it hung abandoned against Celestia’s side. “You know the rest, of course, darling,” she said, returning to her work with vigour.

Celestia’s eyebrows shot up at the prick of the needle, but she held her breath and managed not to squeak in pain. She didn’t want to distract Rarity into apologies. “You spoke to her, and talked her down?”

Rarity chuckled. “I suppose that’s one way of putting it, darling, though rather simplified. Negotiating with Cozy in that state was like trying to reason with a wolf that sees a tasty dead rabbit about why he shouldn’t eat it. I convinced her that I was a more valuable hostage than everypony else combined, and got her to let them go. That bought us a little time, and Twilight and the girls couldn’t very well just implode the building with rainbow power while I was inside. So I just talked, and even though Cozy didn’t respond, she was listening. And eventually, after a few hours, she put down the crystal, and she let me give her a hug. And then we walked out of the bank, hoof in hoof.” She paused to cut another thread and tapped Celestia on the flank to let her know it was time to turn around. “After another very long bargaining session with Twilight and the police, I whipped up some disguises for us and got us on the first train out of there. We spent six months in a very small cabin in the middle of nowhere — the humidity utterly ruined my mane, I can tell you — and then we came home, put the paperwork through, and Cozy became my daughter and went into treatment on the same day. And the rest is, as they say, history.”

Celestia nodded thoughtfully. “And — if I may, Cozy Glow’s past? Before her initial attempt to drain Equestria’s magic?”

Rarity waved a hoof dismissively. “It’s all in the file I gave you, darling. I don’t like to dwell on it; it’s too distressing.”

“Her parents—” Celestia tried again.

“Abusive members of a quasi-religious unicorn cult,” Rarity spat, abruptly furious. “Scum so obsessed with magic that they took it out on a little child born a pegasus through no fault of her own and filled her with such hate that she felt driven to do terrible things.” She stopped herself, and shut her eyes to take a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Princess. I don’t like to speak of it, as I said.”

Celestia placed a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder; it was clearly time to let the matter drop. “I am sorry, Rarity. I did not mean to raise matters that should be left alone. I’m only seeking to get to know Cozy Glow a little more, so that I am better able to help her.”

Rarity produced a hanky from within a nearby basket of fabric scraps and blew daintily into it. “No, no — I shouldn’t let it upset me so.” She shook herself slightly, and returned abruptly to business. She turned again to Celestia’s dress and deftly undid the ribbons and pins holding it in place, until she could levitate the whole thing away from Celestia’s body. “I think this is a good beginning. I’ll work it up in the blue silk ready for your next fitting, and we can discuss any amendments then. Now, if there’s nothing else…?”

“Ah—” Celestia reached with her magic for her saddlebags. “There is one thing. I have bought a profile of the pony I have selected as Cozy’s first match.”

Rarity dropped the fabric at once and hurried to Celestia’s side, her eyes alight. “Ooh! Show me!”

Celestia suppressed a smile and levitated the single sheet of parchment out of her bag. Rarity seized it in her own magic and bought it close to her face, peering through her reading glasses to see it better, her eyes moving rapidly as she devoured the text.

“I have spoken to his parents and to the stallion in question, and they are all open to the young ponies meeting,” Celestia began. “And I think—”

Rarity had evidently reached the section entitled ‘Family Background’. Her jaw dropped open and she whirled to Celestia. “Prince Patrician? This is Prince Blueblood’s son!”

Celestia looked at her blankly. “Well, yes. They’re Canterlot nobles, but I thought that was what you and Cozy asked for — a close-knit family, wealth, ambition, prestige, the power to bring Cozy Glow into a wider social circle—” She tried to think of any possible objections. “Is it because he’s a Prince that you’re shocked? I thought you would be well accustomed to royalty — you’ve been friends with Twilight for so long. But you needn’t worry; Blueblood’s title is only honorary. He’s my great-great-great-grandson, you see.”

“No, no, darling, no!” Rarity’s voice was climbing higher. “Prince Blueblood and I — I was — let us say, romantically involved with him, a very long time ago, when I was younger than Cozy Glow is now.” She ran a hoof through a suddenly frazzled mane. “He was…not kind to me. I’m just not sure his son is the right sort of companion for my poor Cozy.”

Celestia thought hard, and remembered that very first Grand Galloping Gala that Twilight and her friends had attended, all those years ago. Perhaps she did recall seeing Blueblood and Rarity together. “I am sorry if there is any bad history between your families,” she paused to titter slightly, “any bad blood, if you’ll excuse the pun.”

Rarity frowned up at her.

“That is to say — I wasn’t aware,” Celestia amended hastily. “Of course, if you’re not happy with my selection, I will begin again. That’s the whole purpose of this exercise.”

Rarity’s frown deepened and she looked back at the paper she held. “No, no, I know your methods are sound, Princess. But — why have you only bought one match? I thought Cozy was meant to be given a selection.”

Celestia shuffled her wings and searched for a way to phrase it delicately. “Well, Rarity…you and Cozy Glow had rather a lot of requirements. Very stringent requirements. And the joining together of two ponies is a process that will involve compromise, and learning to shift one’s views. Creating a new family is no easy process. I expected that if I offered you and Cozy too much choice, it could lead to confusion, or encourage Cozy to take it less seriously, knowing that she has a great many options if one doesn’t pan out. I thought it best to offer her just one potential at a time.”

Rarity scowled, ever alert to signs of differential treatment or discrimination against her daughter. “And you do this for all your clients, do you, Princess?”

“If by ‘this’, you mean offer them a tailored and personalised service designed to meet their needs to the very best of my ability, then yes, of course,” Celestia answered primly. “If you decide that Prince Patrician is not somepony you would be interested in having Cozy Glow meet, all you need do is drop by my office and tell me, or leave word with Raven Inkwell.” She gathered up her saddlebags and raised her wings to settle them comfortably on her side. “It has been lovely to visit you, Rarity, but I really must be going now.”

Rarity barely looked up, so deeply engrossed in the profile was she. “Hmm? Yes, darling, goodbye,” she murmured vaguely, as Celestia let the door swing closed behind her.

Celestia trotted briskly down the paved street that led towards the Everfree Forest. It was still such a liberating experience to be going where she wanted when she pleased, without having to consult a schedule or book things in months in advance. Or taking a full complement of thirty guards with her.

The first few years, the Royal Guard had persisted in trying to protect her, until she pointed out that she was now a private citizen, and in addition, was more than capable of fighting off anything that could possibly attack her. The Captain had taken the matter to Twilight, who had pointed out that Celestia had been captured on a fairly regular basis while ruling Equestria. Celestia had been forced to remove the plaster once and for all, and break the news to Twilight that she could, in fact, have extricated herself from almost every one of those situations, but had refrained in order to give Twilight and her friends a chance to use the Elements and practise their world-saving skills. Twilight had been furious, and though they could laugh about it together now, she still bought it up every Hearthswarming after she had drunk a few ciders.

But regardless, Celestia was now free to do whatever she wanted. Ponies still stared and bowed but that was fine by her. It was wonderful to stop and talk to ponies who greeted her, rather than just sailing over their heads in a chariot, and she relished the opportunity to do so.

She was almost at the border of the forest when she heard the sound of galloping hooves behind her. She swung to look behind her, and was startled to see Lustre Dawn, of all ponies, pounding up the road.

“Lustre Dawn?” she called, and Lustre Dawn pulled alongside her at last, gasping, sweat running down her sides.

“Auntie Tia! I’m so glad I caught you. Mum didn’t tell me you were in town today until this afternoon, and I’ve been galloping all over the place looking for you.”

Celestia smiled with gentle merriment. “What is so urgent that it couldn’t wait until we were both back in Canterlot after the weekend? Is it about your date with Sparkling Wine?” If she remembered correctly, Lustre Dawn had been due to meet with him yesterday.

Lustre Dawn ran her hooves over her mane in an attempt to neaten it and used her magic to tighten her ponytail. “Stars, Auntie Tia, he was such a bore! He was only interested in food — roasted this, gourmet that.” Once she had begun, the words spilled out of her in an unstoppable torrent. “I had to listen to his stories about his tasting-holidays for three hours. If anything exists, anywhere, within half an hour Sparkling Wine will come thundering into town, put it on his sterling silver fork, toast and eat it, and then spend the next thirty years telling anypony and everypony he meets how divine it tasted, how delectable. Luna’s moon, I wanted to strangle him!”

“Language, Lustre, dear,” Celestia reprimanded her, doing a poor job of hiding her amusement.

Lustre Dawn shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Sorry, Auntie, but its true. He was dreadful.”

“Yes,” Celestia smiled, “I found conversation with him to be a little as you described. But he is a unicorn, and very magically strong, and that was what your family felt would be important. He attended my — Twilight’s school of magic shortly after you did.”

Lustre Dawn threw herself back onto her haunches and rolled her eyes so far back into her head that only the whites showed. “Well, honestly, Auntie — next time focus a little less on magic and a little more on personality.”

“I will try my best,” Celestia kept her voice light, trying to conceal her delight that her lesson had been as effective as ever her friendship lessons for Twilight had been. I’ve still got it. “But remember that this process is just that — a gradual process, a journey, to finding out what it is you need.” She drew her notebook out from her saddlebags and made a couple of quick annotations on the paper. “If you pass on to your family how your meeting with Sparkling Wine went, I will let him know that it won’t be repeated.”

“Alright,” Lustre Dawn got back to her hooves, clearly relieved to have unburdened herself and removed the possibility of having to meet with Sparkling Wine again. “What next? Is that it?”

Laughing a little at the hope in the young unicorn’s face, Celestia shook her head. “Sadly not, but I think I do have a clearer understanding now of what it is you want. I have somepony new in mind for you to meet — somepony with a lot more personality than magic.”