• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 3,318 Views, 77 Comments

Tornado Disaster - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and the Main Six cope after a tornado

  • ...
3
 77
 3,318

Warnings

Inside the library, Twilight peered out one of the windows while lounging on her bed with a book, planning to wait the storm out while reading. However, something off caught her eye. Further out, almost out of sight due to the angle she was at, she could see a strange, dark, funnel-shaped cloud in the distance. It was unlike the rest of the storm clouds, given how much darker it was and the funnel-shape it seemed to be taking.

"That's weird...why are they creating a tornado? It isn't even Perfect Storm season!" Twilight frowned.

"Uhhh...Twilight?" Spike looked out the window anxiously. "I don't think the Pegasi created that tornado...it's a LOT bigger, and a LOT darker, and a LOT scarier than the one they made for the water..."

"I think you're right, Spike..." Twilight looked over at the little dragon. She got off her bed, heading toward the stairs, feeling Spike come closer to her in nervousness.

"I don't like the looks of this, Twilight..." Spike shivered against the Unicorn in fear, clutching onto her neck as he clambered onto her back.

Twilight mumbled in agreement, turnign her attention back out the window. Something was wrong, especially with the tornado. Something about it seemed very wrong. It didn't fit with the rest of the storm, and she couldn't see any sight of the Pegasi creating it. Much to her horror and even confusion, it looked to be as if it were operating on its own.

Outside, the town's warning siren began to wail, alerting them both.

"W-what's th-that?! Why's the siren going off?!"

"Oh no, it might be about that tornado!" Twilight hurried downstairs, opening the library door, but it slammed open due to the force of the wind as she did so. "If they're setting off the siren, it has to be bad...!"

"I knew it! The Pegasi didn't make that tornado!" Spike cried over the wailing siren. "Twilight, what do we do?!"

"We'll have to hurry down to the basement, Spike!" Twilight yelled, about to try to close the door. But she then saw Rainbow Dash flying by overhead. "Oh! Rainbow Dash!! Rainbow!!"

Rainbow Dash stopped in front of the library, flapping her wings hard to keep from being blown away by the strong winds. "Twilight, get inside and go to the basement, right now!!! A rogue tornado formed over the western fields, and it's headed this way! You're in serious danger, here!"

"What?! A rogue tornado?!" Twilight yelled, though they suspected this. She had never seen one, let alone ever since she'd moved to Ponyville. "But you might need some help!"

"Not from you, I don't!" Rainbow Dash shook her head. "It's too dangerous out here, especially for a non-Pegasus! Get in the basement, right now!!!"

"But-" A thought occurred to Twilight then. "What about Fluttershy? Her house is further out, closer to the Everfree Forest! Will she even hear the siren?"

"The siren's loud enough, Twilight!" Rainbow Dash yelled over the wailing siren and howling winds. "She'll hear it! Besides, I'm on my way to warn her, AJ, Rarity and Pinkie Pie! Now get to the basement! I'm not kidding!"

Twilight watched her Pegasus friend fly off, biting her lip. This was not good at all. Logically, she knew what she and Spike had to do, right now, before it was too late. But everything in between was clouding her mind like a dense fog, overtaking her being.

"I still think I should do something..."

Spike nodded, pointing out towards the west. "Yeah, follow Rainbow's advice! It's coming this way, Twilight!!!"

"...Okay..." Twilight shut the door with her magic, making sure it was locked. "You go down and turn the lights on, I'll grab a book on rogue weather."

"Okay..." Spike frowned and headed for the basement door. "Just hurry, Twilight...a rogue tornado's probably a LOT more dangerous than a Pegasus-made tornado!"

"I'm coming Spike!" Twilight promised, quickly searching the bookshelves.

She only hoped her decision wouldn't affect too much. But it was then she remembered Princess Celestia's wise words from when she was young.

“You cannot do everything, Twilight. Nopony can. Even I myself cannot be everywhere at once. All you can do, even in a dire situation, is the right thing. Helping others is a wonderful virtue that I have stood by ever since I myself was a filly. However, there comes a time that we must take care of ourselves first. It is not selfish to care for yourself. You can only help when you are able to. There are times in which we can't help others. Do not shame yourself in those moments. They are not your fault, my faithful student.”

Looking out the window again, Twilight felt her resolve change. She couldn't do anything right now, it was far too dangerous. But tomorrow, once the storm was blown over, maybe she could do something then.


"Ya cain't be serious! A rogue tornado?!" Applejack exclaimed in shock, holding her hat against her head with her hoof to prevent it from flying off. "That ain't happened in this here town fer nearly twenty years, last Ah heard!"

"I'm not kidding, Applejack! I saw it with my own eyes!" Rainbow Dash replied, flapping hard to stay airborne. "It formed out west, from some darker clouds over the Everfree Forest! The wind from our storm and that storm must've created it!"

"Well shoot!" Applejack frowned. "Ah was wonderin' why them sirens were goin' off! Awright, thanks fer tellin' me!"

"No problem, now get the buck in the cellar!" Rainbow Dash ordered. "It was headed for Ponyville, so it'll be headed this way, too!"

"Gotcha!" Applejack nodded. "But what 'bout you? Ya got a cloud home an' no basement!"

"I've gotta stay out and warn everypony!" Rainbow Dash told her. "If I have any time left, I'll take shelter with Fluttershy!"

Applejack looked alarmed, about to protest further, but bit her lip. She nodded, placing her hat back inside the house. "Awright, but if ya cain't make it, y'all can come hide here if ya need ta!"

Rainbow Dash nodded, flapping her wings harder as the wind seemed to pick up again. "I'll keep that in mind, AJ! Just get yourself and the rest of your family into the cellar!"

"Ah will, RD! Y'all be careful out there!" Applejack said, above the wind, knocking their hooves together in a hoof bump. "Now go!"

"I'm on it!" Rainbow Dash flew away, headed back towards Ponyville to warn Pinkie Pie and Rarity of the imminent danger.


To begin with, over at Sugarcube Corner, the Cakes were already sheltered in the basement with their foals, while Pinkie was manning the upstairs to make sure nothing would get too damaged or thrown around. This was going on when Rainbow Dash arrived at Sugarcube Corner to warn them about this.

"Good timing, Dashie! My Pinkie Sense was telling me there was a big, doozy storm coming! So I told Mr. and Mrs. Cake to get downstairs pronto monto!"

"Good work, Pinkie Pie! But I wouldn't linger upstairs too much longer! The tornado's headed this way, and a rogue tornado is MUCH more dangerous than a Pegasus-made one!"

"Okey-dokey-lokie!" Pinkie saluted, grinning widely. "But I'm okay! My Pinkie Sense is-" she paused as her tail began twitching. "Uh-oh! Twitch-a-twitch!"

"Oh no!!!" Rainbow Dash ducked inside, knowing full well what Pinkie's twitchy tail meant.

SPLAT!

A cake fell to the floor from a shelf, which made Pinkie laugh.

"Oh, it was just a cake! Yummy!" Pinkie immediately devoured it off the floor, giggling.

Rainbow Dash peered outside. She could see the swirling funnel approaching the town, though it was still a fair distance away. "Listen, Pinkie. Get to the basement as soon as possible! I've still got to warn Rarity and Fluttershy about the tornado!"

"I will, Dashie! I'm going!" Pinkie hugged her tight. "You better tell Flutters! She must be so scared! She's going to need your biiig strooong hooves around her while you wait the storm out!"

"If I have time..." Rainbow Dash hugged the pink party mare in return. "I've gotta go now, you get to shelter as quick as possible!"

Pinkie Pie nodded, looking serious for a moment, and then dashed over to the basement door. "Good luck, Dashie!"

Rainbow Dash stepped back out into the raging storm. "Thanks, Pinkie Pie! Be safe!"

"Will do!" Pinkie closed the basement door behind her.


Next was Rarity, who was looking after the Cutie Mark Crusaders for the weekend. The fillies were already in the basement by the time Rainbow Dash arrived, but the fashionista unicorn was frantically searching for Opalesence, who was nowhere to be found.

"Ohhhh, I simply cannot go down there knowing she is lost somewhere!" Rarity cried dramatically, “The utmost of DIRE consequences could befall her if I do not find her!”

"Rarity, there's no time to worry about Opal!" Rainbow Dash argued. "You have to get to shelter, right now! The tornado's not going to wait for you to find your cat!"

"But I cannot leave her alone! She may get hurt! Or worse!!" Rarity protested. "I simply can't bear the thought!"

"Arrrgh!!!" Rainbow Dash growled in frustration, zooming into the Carousel Boutique. "Opalescence! Where are you?!"

"Meow!"

"Ooh! Under the desk! There!" Rarity pointed, looking relieved. "Worry not, Opal! Mommy's coming!"

"I'll get her!" Rainbow Dash zipped over to the desk, seeing Opal cowering underneath it. "Come here, Opal!"

"Rrowr!" Opal uttered, frightened. She shivered a bit, her fur standing on end.

"Rainbow Dash, be careful! She'll scratch!"

"Ugh! Rarity, come here and help me!"

"I have an idea!" Rarity came over, holding out some fabric with her magic. "You can use this to wrap her up in!"

"All right!" Rainbow Dash took the fabric in her hooves and reached under the desk for the frightened cat. "Come on, Opal...come here...it's okay..."

"Rrowr..." Opal cowered a bit more, but touched her paw toward the fabric in curiosity.

"That's it...come on..." Rainbow Dash coaxed, taking a page from Fluttershy. "Come here..."

Nervously, Opal manage to take a few steps toward her, nestling into the fabric.
"Atta girl..." Rather than quickly trapping her in the fabric, Rainbow Dash gently wrapped her up, giving her over to Rarity once she emerged from under the desk.

"Oh, Opal! My darling!" Rarity held the fabric that now housed her cat. "You're going to be all right after all! What a relief! Oh, thank you dearly, darling! I appreciate the help!"

"Don't mention it!" Rainbow Dash nodded. Her ears pricked up as thunder roared outside, shaking the boutique. "Now, you'd better get to shelter! The tornado was coming this way!"

"Of course, dear!" Rarity nodded, carrying the fabric in her magic and heading toward the basement door. "I must make sure Sweetie Belle and her friends are all right! You had better go, Rainbow Dash, dear! ...And do make sure Fluttershy is all right..."

"Don't worry, I'll take care of her!" Rainbow Dash promised. "You just take care of yourself and the Cutie Mark squirts!"

The unicorn nodded, then opened the basement door with her magic and began to descend. "Do hurry then, darling! And lock up behind you!"

"Got it!" The Pegasus nodded, flying out the door and turning the latch as it shut behind her. She had one more place left to go...


"Oh goodness...why were the sirens wailing?" Fluttershy wondered to herself, looking out the window. "I don't understand...this is just a storm...they normally don't ring the siren when there is one..."


A rainbow streak came tearing through the sky in the wake of a brilliant lightning flash, as Rainbow Dash flew as fast as she could to beat the tornado to Fluttershy's cottage.


Inside the said cottage, with all of her animals having been gathered up, at least those who didn't flee earlier in the day, Fluttershy was organizing her belongings. While the storm scared her, muchly, she managed to relax herself. It was best not to panic, especially when storms were needed on a day like this.

"Oh, I just hope Rainbow will be all right..." the golden mare said softly. "Angel Bunny? Angel, where are you?"


The strong winds whipped Rainbow Dash's brilliant mane around, obscuring her vision, but she flew as hard and as fast as she could to reach Fluttershy's cottage in time. Thunder roared and rain lashed her body, but she had to make it in time. She just had to...

From one of the open windows, Fluttershy could hear rushing wind. What was that about? The winds weren't supposed to be that strong during today's storm, were they? Fluttershy hovered over to the window, trying to push it closed.
"Goodness...it won't...the winds are strong!! Oooh, come on, close!!"

The siren was still wailing, striking her ears all the more. What was going on?

Outside, Rainbow Dash fought hard against the fierce winds and sheets of rain, determined to warn the creamy yellow Pegasus before it was too late.

ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!

The cyan Pegasus froze in terror as the deafening roar reached her ears. "No...it can't be...!!!" Turning around, she was face-to-face with a massive, black swirling funnel, and it was bearing down on the cottage! "Nooooo!!!!!"


"Oh, never mind!" Fluttershy flew upstairs. "Angel? Angel! Are you up here?"

A fuzzy white head poked out from under the bed, to Fluttershy's relief. She sauntered over, then paused. Something wasn't right. The sirens were still wailing, the cottage was trembling, and she could hear rushing winds from outside.

Looking out one of the windows, Fluttershy's eyes widened in terror when she came upon the sight of none other than a massive black funnel cloud.

Screaming in fright, she dove under her bed, holding Angel close to her, and curling up.


Outside, Rainbow Dash was in a panic! What should she do?! Should she continue onto Fluttershy's cottage to warn her? No, it was too late by now. And the tornado was coming on fast! There was no time left!

Clenching her eyes shut against the driving rain, Rainbow Dash took off in the opposite direction of the tornado, headed back towards Sweet Apple Acres. She could make it back to the Apple family's cellar, if she hurried.

All the while, she couldn't help but think of her best friend, who was soon to be at the storm's mercy. Fluttershy...I hope you're safe...I hope you heard the sirens and took cover...I'll be back in the morning, I promise...