• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 3,318 Views, 77 Comments

Tornado Disaster - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and the Main Six cope after a tornado

  • ...
3
 77
 3,318

The Approaching Storm

A storm was being scheduled for Ponyville today, an especially big one due to a much-needed downpour. But due to several delays and other instances that held back the need for even just a rainy day, it was no wonder that it was long overdue by now.

Just as always, Rainbow Dash led the Weather Patrol pegasi of the town, keeping tabs with Cloudsdale, all the while getting all of the rain clouds needed to cover the town. It was a big job today, the Pegasi had been at it for a couple of hours now just to set up. The storm was scheduled to last until early the next morning, anyway, so there was a lot to be done to make sure that all was going to be heading along according to plan.

"Clear!" Yelled Thunderlane.

"Got it!" Cloud Kicker called back, nodding her head. She turned ot the leader of the Weather Patrol, Rainbow Dash. "We've got the clouds, Rainbow Dash! The rest of the team is already setting them around the rest of the areas of Ponyville!"

"Excellent work, team!" Rainbow Dash called to her fellow Weather Patrol team members. "Cloud Chaser, make sure to cover everything west of Ponyville! Flitter, you're in charge of Canterlot!"

"I'm on it, Dash!" Flitter nodded, flying off with a batch of clouds.
Cloud Chaser saluted before heading off as well, heading west.

"I just finished the clouds over Sweet Apple Acres!" Said Blossomforth.

"All right, Blossomforth! Good job!" Rainbow Dash nodded. "Silverspeed! How's everything looking in Cloudsdale?"

"Very good, Rainbow!" Silverspeed pointed her hoof toward the cloud city. "They've given us the go-ahead, and they're standing by if we need anymore clouds! We're set to start the storm whenever we're ready!"

"Roger that! Thunderlane, how are we doing?" Rainbow Dash called to the black stallion Pegasus.

"Still clear, Rainbow Dash!" Thunderlane flew back toward the cyan Pegasus after having spoken with a couple of Earth ponies down below, "I was just told that everypony has been getting prepared for the storm and that we can get to it when we're ready! The Mayor has given us the okay!"

"You heard him, team! Let's get this storm going, on the double!" Rainbow Dash blew her whistle to signal the other Pegasi.

"Roger that, Rainbow Dash!" Cloud Kicker nodded. "You heard her, guys! We've got it going!"

"Let's go!" Thunderlane said, giving a once-over around the town briefly.

"Let's move, everypony!" Rainbow Dash called, making sure the sky was completely covered. She frowned for a moment, as she noticed one patch of clear blue sky. "Ohhh...not again! Blossomforth, have you seen Derpy?!"

"I think you sent her to work with the group headed to help out the team in Trottingham!" Cloud Kicker answered for her.

"I'm pretty sure!" Blossomforth agreed, “That's what I recall, at least.”

"Did I?" Rainbow Dash slapped her hoof to her forehead. "What was I thinking...Silverspeed! Go get Derpy and bring her back to Ponyville!"

Silverspeed nodded. "You got it, Dash! I'm on it!" She flew off quickly.

Just as the weather team were setting back to work, Rainbow was tapped on the shoulder by Thunderlane, who looked pretty worried.

"Rainbow Dash, the storm clouds further out toward the fields look a little darker!" He pointed out toward the fields to the west end, "I know we have a big storm today, but.."

"Huh?" Rainbow Dash turned to look where Thunderlane was pointing. Sure enough, the clouds out over the fields were darker than the clouds the weather team had brought in from Cloudsdale. "...That's weird. But those clouds are closer to the Everfree Forest, too. I wouldn't worry too much about it, Thunderlane."

"Okay, Rainbow!" Thunderlane nodded.
The Pegasi got to work on creating the rain within the gathered rain clouds set up all over the town. Going this way and the next, the storm was soon in progress over Ponyville!

But the dark storm clouds bellowing overhead toward the fields and near the Everfree Forest were still looming in an unsettling manner...

Rainbow Dash eyed the darker storm clouds anxiously, as the Pegasus' storm began to kick into high gear. Lightning flashed, thunder rumbled, and the wind whistled as the rain came down in sheets. It was just the kind of downpour Ponyville needed. Still, the cyan Pegasus couldn't help but keep a wary eye on the ever-darkening storm clouds over the western fields and the Everfree Forest...

"It's all going good, Rainbow Dash!" Cloud Kicker flew back into view.

"Uh-huh! It's been reported to be raining consecutively all over Ponyville!" Thunderlane said.

"Good work, team!" Rainbow Dash praised her fellow Weather Pegasi.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash, I'm here!" Derpy's voice called as she and Silverspeed returned. "I was headed to Trottingham, like you told me to do, and Silverspeed said you wanted me back here! Did I do something wrong?"

"Doi!" Rainbow said, sighing. "Look, you left a clear spot over there! And you know we're not supposed to do that!"

"Oops! My bad! I'll go fix it!" Derpy smiled sheepishly before flying off to get some clouds to cover the clear patch.

"Okay, good," Rainbow Dash said with relief.

"Anything else, Rainbow Dash?" Asked Cloud Kicker.

"Nope, we're looking good here!" Rainbow Dash said.

Suddenly, a brilliant flash of lightning tore through the clouds, followed by a tremendous roar of thunder. The rain suddenly began to fall faster and heavier, and the wind began to howl!

"What the--?! Thunderlane, what's going on?!"

"I don't know, Rainbow Dash! But it's coming from the dark storm clouds!"

"What's going on?!" Cloud Kicker yelled.

"Feathers! It looks like those dark storm clouds have merged with our clouds!" Rainbow Dash yelled back. "That's going to make this storm more powerful than we intended!"

"What should we do?" Cloud Kicker wanted to know, trying to hold fast against the raging wind.

"I don't know! I don't think there's anything that we can do!"

"All finished, Rainbow Dash...whoooaaa!!!" Derpy flew back over to the cyan Pegasus, only to get blown back by the fierce winds!

Thunderlane caught her, securing her. "Careful, Derpy! We're getting some raging winds from over there!"

"Guys, I don't know where those storm clouds came from, but I don't like the looks of them at all!" Rainbow Dash yelled over the howling winds.

"Um...Rainbow Dash, clouds don't normally start swirling into the shape of a funnel on their own!" Cloud Kicker yelled out. "Look!"

"What?!" Rainbow Dash turned in alarm.

To her horror, she saw that Cloud Kicker was right. From the base of the dark storm clouds, a swirling funnel was beginning to take shape. Right then, it dawned on her as she could now see exactly what they were dealing with. A strong sense of dread coursed through her, the situation was far more serious than she realized.

"Oh, buck!!! Thunderlane, go sound the alarm!!! Cloudchaser, round up every Pegasus in Cloudsdale! Blossomforth, go with Thunderlane! Go!!! Now!!!" Rainbow ordered, not once tearing her eyes from the funnel-shaped cloud.

"Right! Let's go, Blossomforth!" Thunderlane said.

"Okay! We're on it!" Blossomforth said, flying off after the stallion Pegasus.

"I'm heading there now!" Cloud Chaser flew toward Cloudsdale as quick as she could.

"Cloud Kicker, hurry! We have to tell the Mayor to sound the sirens!" Rainbow Dash yelled to the remaining Pegasus. "Let's go, now!!!"

"I'll go tell the Mayor!" Cloud Kicker said. "You go warn your friends!"

"I'm on it!" Rainbow Dash saluted before flying away. As she did, her eyes never left the swirling funnel, which was now beginning to descend toward the ground. 'Oh no...no no no...this can't be happening...it just CAN'T be a rogue tornado...!!!'