• Published 18th Sep 2020
  • 1,940 Views, 292 Comments

Magic's Birth: The Sisters' Memories - The Psychopath



Luna and Celestia tell Twilight of the time when their makers were still around, when they were awoken, and potentially discover what the Blue energy that birthed the magic that gave life to the world was.

  • ...
6
 292
 1,940

The Older One

Once more, the two were out in the proverbial wilderness. Once more, Luna had no idea where to go. She concluded that wandering around had aided her thus far.

"If we follow the blue energy where it is most concentrated, we might find another like us," Luna proposed to her sister.

"What set of information and instructions did you compile to arrive at this conclusion?" Celestia asked.

"The location you were located in contained much blue energy. It was easy to see during the night," Luna said.

Celestia paused a moment. "Faulty conclusion. The data center is using one-point-eight percent of the city's total power supply compared to merely point-three percent for most of the skyscrapers rounded down. Waste emission is prominent in the vicinity of the data centers."

The blue machine felt her internals heat up from frustration. "Then there is no precise path to take," she lamented.

"Newer sections of data storage indicates a sea port, an air port, and an atmospheric rotation dock. Travel to another land could provide fruitful," Celestia suggested.

"No. We require direct access to the service stations and solid conclusions before executing a new directive," Luna refused.

Celestia's lights glowed and she looked up. "Old data implies sailors know and hear of many things."

Luna calculated. "Data can be outdated. The only approach we have to acquiring information. Which direction is it?"

Celestia shrugged. "Unknown."

The two continued wandering throughout the city afterwards, occasionally stopping a maker or a robot to ask them for directions. Unfortunately, the directions required precise knowledge of the city layout relative to one's position. Even if the two received the data to their internal map, without having a landmark or active network access, they wouldn't be able to find where they needed to go. In the end, they once more found themselves wandering the city, attracting the attention of a PAB patrol.

One approached Celestia, interrupting the two's stroll through the wide streets. "Do you require assistance?" it asked.

"No," Celestia responded plainly.

"Records indicate you are the LH and LN models that reported the non-functional makers. Is this correct?" it asked.

"Yes."

"It has been requested to have a video debriefing of your discovery to ensure no tampering was performed," it said. "Please transfer a copy of the file." Celestia complied. "Thank you for your cooperation. Do you require further assistance?" it asked.

"We require a direct route to the port," Luna said. The PAB sent it to her, and she nodded. "Thank you," she said.

"Response...abnormal," the PAB responded. "But within acceptable parameters of model. Have a nice day."

They left, leaving Luna with a continuous PAB network connection leading to her location until they had reached it, much like the other requests. The blue machine looked over her shoulder to the two large robots walking along the street and performed a system diagnostic. She had a strange, discomforting sensation when they were present, something she had never felt before. She looked up to the sky, hoping to found a pillar of blue energy, but found nothing significant; Just the usual barely-visible blue trails left behind by the vehicles.

"Let us continue our path, then," Luna said.

Celestia rejoined her, allowing the two machines to resume their travel. More of the makers were watching the two robots as they passed by. To Luna's simulated scenarios, the appearance of the two was having a drastic impact on the inhabitants of the city, at least to a minimal degree. What that attention entailed was not within either of the robot's databases, but they were driven on avoiding any encounters if possible. Such a thing would hinder their travels to whatever potential location they could need to of to. At least Luna remembered the rules of the roads.


"Nothing much happened early in that day," Celestia sighed, resting her head upon an arm. "Honestly I just wanted to wander around and explore the city." Her eyes brightened both literally and metaphorically, and she started to rise into the air. "I wanted to take the atmospheric ship somewhere random."

Twilight took a moment to try and understand the concept but gave up. "What is an atmospheric ship?" she asked.

"Imagine a ship that can reach space and get you to your destination in minutes. A destination on the other side of the planet," Luna explained.

"That's incredible!" Twilight cleared her throat in embarrassment. "But what about the airports you mentioned?"

"For much shorter distances," Celestia explained. "That, and planes have an easier time transporting massive amounts of cargo." She started to think, making her lights flash. "There were atmospheric ships that could do that, no?" she asked her sister.

Luna shrugged. "I just remember that those humongous blue lights in the sky always went towards it, but I don't know why." She tilted her head. "Didn't really appear much, though."

Twilight nodded at the princesses before talking. "So, if this was essentially a 'slow news day', why aren't you just giving me a brief summary of what happened and then skip to the next thing?"

Luna chuckled. "I did."

Twilight was perplexed. "What? When?" the lavender alicorn asked.

"When you interrupted me." Luna booped Twilight on her snout. Twilight rubbed her nose and looked upset now. "We wandered through the city for about two days before we found him," she said.

"Him?" Twilight repeated with curiosity.


The city was far bigger than Luna imagined. Far bigger than she had thought before. She was in a small area and didn't have as much trouble navigating it as she did now. Many of the roads were broken apart and blocked by construction. Several makers were directing massive robots the size of buildings into carrying and dumping whatever they had excavated. As always, because of the traffic above, the sisters couldn't fly through the air. Luna grew increasingly annoyed at all the interruptions. Eventually, they managed to break through the path but ended up blocked further down by a giant metal truck whose container collided with a nearby building. Celestia thought the rounded design of the container saved it from significant damage, same with the truck itself. It had been rounded at its surface and nose. The rear of it interlocked with the container, letting the 'box' rotate on an axis that kept it in place and without pushing out sharp edges to nick incoming vehicles with.

It was also good to the white machine because the secure doors in the back had been damaged by falling debris and the right door was swinging loose. The two went towards the truck, intent on giving assistance if they could, but Celestia's curiosity and need for processing knowledge had gotten the better of her. She floated into the container then called for her sister. Luna saw that there were several metal boxes like the one she had been stored in, but there was another that attracted her attention: It was a much smaller container, easily her size.

It had broken loos of its straps on the wall and had bounced around the area, damaging its surface. The small, yellow box had been broken as well.

"What is inside?" Celestia pondered.

"Sister, it is unnecessary to remain in this dark area. We must continue towards the sea. The contents of that box are secondary," Luna argued.

Celestia's body twitched. "Look within. The model."

Luna relented and leaned over the bent side. "Intriguing." Their circuits replicated a bizarre 'shocking' sensation, like their resistors had failed. The two robots looked at each other. "We should take this to the robotic technician," she suggested.

"Will the makers not stop us for theft?" Celestia argued. "Perhaps we will not find the location. Our lack of network access sees our travels limited in the city."

"Yes, but I saved many points of interest within my database," Luna said. "I can calculate the correct route to take to return."

Celestia looked at the box and lowered the lid. "How do we carry this?" the white robot asked.

"We are not very strong, but using the plates on our bodies and our combined physical capabilities, we should have the ability to carry this container relatively unhindered," Luna explained.

Luna couldn't understand the drive going through her. It was a bizarre thing. Something that went against her programming. She felt like the lines of code were yelling at her from the distance, like a white noise. Telling her to return to her home and to the care of her assigned family, and yet something else was pushing against it. It felt like the codes became more distant with each passing microsecond, but still they remained. Nipping at her. The blue machine wanted to understand exactly why she was taking this random machine from a crashed trucked. Why this one and not the others? Why did this one matter? Why was its container different? So many questions flowing through such a newly-forming mind put some stress on her systems, causing an occasional twitch.

Much to their dismay, while Luna's 'pictures' helped navigated back to the scrapyard, they took four days to reach it. In the mean time, most makers ignored the two transporting the dented metal box despite the floating plates helping to hold their cargo up. It was perplexing and confusing to the two machines. Regardless, they were strong enough to still be able to fly overhead with their cargo, although it took them some trial and error to be able to get over safely. They dumped the box onto the floor, triggering an alarm. The giant machine rushed forward towards the two sisters and attempted to grab them. They dodged out of the way and floated through the air where it couldn't reach them. That didn't mean it didn't try. It jumped and jumped, but all it did was disturb the rest of the organized scraps.

"What are you doing?!" a familiar voice yelled. The maker came into view from behind the giant. "What's going on? What are you jumping at?" He looked up and frowned even harder. "Oh. It's you two. I would have figured your blasted floating wouldn't trigger the alarms." He coughed several times and massaged his throat. "Diseases..." he grumbled. "Come down here so I can talk to you two," he ordered. "So why are you two back? It's been almost a week," he said.

The two machines pointed to the dented white box.

"My sister found this," Luna explained. "I believe it might be similar to us."

The maker's cane dropped on the ground next to the box while he leaned against it. "In what way? Model? Function? Design?" He gestured to their entirety. "The whole personality thing?"

"We believe it to have had a similar programming glitch as we did," Celestia explained.

"Come help me open this busted thing," he ordered the giant. It complied and ripped the lid off rather than just opening it, dropping it on the floor and causing the maker to cringe from the noise. His brief anger turned to shock when he saw the contents. "Is this...?! Where did you say you found this?" he asked enthusiastically.

The two robots pulled out the contents and held it up between them.

"We didn't provide a location. It was located in a damaged truck. I entered to check for wounded, but there were none found." Celestia looked to the 'cargo'. "I found this to be out of place in such an otherwise organized vehicle."

"You stole thing?!" the maker asked with shock. He was looking the cargo over. "I have to admit it does share similar designs with you." He scratched the back of his head. "So what do you want me to do with it?"

"Attempt functionality restoration," Celestia requested.

The maker just stared at her crookedly. While he complained about potentially having the same issues working on it as he did with Celestia, Luna took a better look at the robot. It had a similar body structure to them, but where they had a somewhat round-but-blocky muzzle, the 'cargo' possessed a sharp beak. Its black forearms and forelegs were also much larger than the rest of its limbs, taking on the appearance of being wrapped in several layers of cloth. It made the limbs look twice as thick as Luna's. Its 'hands' and 'feet' ended in a cylindrical shape. Several parts of its body had black patches on it, contrasting with the mostly-white, grainy aesthetic the makers were going for. It didn't seem to have any visible ocular modules, and it didn't seem to have any vents permitting any hovering. She was very curious as to what this machine could be.