• Published 12th Aug 2020
  • 4,282 Views, 559 Comments

Colonel Hooves and the Empire of Crystal - KarmaSentinal



Idol Hooves is tasked with rebuilding the Crystal Guard.

  • ...
7
 559
 4,282

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: The Council of Exiles

“You’re serious aren’t you?”

“As serious as my oaths, Shining. I waited to tell you until I was sure you wouldn’t seek them out.”

Shining Armor’s muzzle drew back as he fought to keep from snarling, and to my relief he relaxed to a look that ponies took when you say something mildly unpleasant. We stopped mid stride and after making sure we were the only two in this stretch of the castle, I continued with my explanation.

“I’ve encountered a few exiles during my leave of absence, and strongly believe they’re here to live and mean no harm. I’ve spoken to two of them: one was a merchant with a stallion that presumably knew of her origins, while the second strictly knew nothing of the others, but is more questionable.”

He huffed, shook his head, and once more checked if we were the only ponies here.

“How many changelings do you think are living in the Empire currently?”

“Besides Cersus and myself, I’ve only encountered two exiles, but it isn’t unreasonable to assume there are more given how much love the Empire generates on a daily basis. There could be at the very least a hoof full already acclimated to the climate, and perhaps even more making their way to the Empire.”

Shining Armor didn’t take the news very well as I sampled his emotions and watched his tail start whipping with irritation. We promptly started walking again since we did have a time limit to maintain, Shining needed to relieve his wife of Court Duties, and myself needed to meet with my subordinates.

“What do you suggest we do, Idol?” Surprised, I shot my friend a look who was waiting expectantly for an answer.

“Simple. We should welcome these displaced lings to the Empire. They may not swear oaths as I did, but if we were to extend a hoof, and give these lings a chance to prove themselves, they might surprise us all.”

“I don’t know…” We made a left turn, and went quiet as we came across a patrol and had to return the offered salutes. We continued with our pace, but waited another moment or so until we're confident no other patrols would hear our conversation before pitching the idea.

“I suggest a committee. One were they will have the protections allotted to the other citizens of the crown, and the opportunity to voice any grievances that may arise. Changelings need to feel a part of something, which makes exile deadly to most lings, and forces the ones that do make it to be more resentful. This will appeal to that need to belong, while showing we’re willing to listen and not pry into business. As one myself, it was difficult to overcome my private nature for many years, and it was only after becoming comfortable with my lot in life.”

“That does explain some of your habits when we first met, but who would oversee this committee, you?”

“Order no. Cadence would.”

My wife!?” I was thankful that was all he said, and allowed me to address his worries with more honey laced words.

“Indeed. Cadence is the Princess of Love, and to a changeling is a great draw as she is a pony royal who in all pretext is a Goddess of the Harvest.”

“...and that would convince these exiles to obey, and not harm our citizens?”

I nodded, admiring Shining’s improved willingness to listen even if he hated the topic being discussed.

“I feel so Shining. Her role in this would be a big draw to all lings in the Empire to join to feel ‘part of a hive’ again. I believe you’ll be surprised how willing they would be to prove themselves if given the chance.”

Our discussion went back and forth like this for the remainder of our walk until we finally reached the stairs Shining Armor needed to take up, and after saying our goodbyes, I proceeded down the hall toward the private dining hall I’d waited in when I first arrived.

Lunch would be served in the next hour, and after gaining permission for Shining and Cadence to use this dining room to host my meeting, asked the staff if we could be served there instead which they agreed. With my first official day back to active duty, I felt it prudent to relearn the workings of my command and discover what had happened during my absence.

I wasn’t kept entirely out of the loop thanks to Shifting Sands, but besides a few issues he felt necessary to share, or a promotion I knew nothing else.

Approaching the hall, I saluted the two guards on duty and proceeded into the large room that resembled the Crystal Throne Two floors above, but lacked the throne or any decoration of any kind save for two massive banders of the Cadence’s Mark on opposite walls. My destination was the lone set of doors in the back where another two guards stood on duty, and as I got closer they began to stand at attention.

“Colonel!”
“Colonel”

The two ponies parroted the other, but what surprised me was the mare on duty.

“At ease, Guards. Morning Star, correct?” The mare tensed but quickly went back to attention to confirm my suspicions.

“Sir! That is correct.” She held your tongue demonstrating good control over her impulses until given the chance to speak. I nodded.

“I read all the reports pertaining to my daughter.” A word I’ve begun growing comfortable saying in public. “Unstoppable’s report detailing Harts Fire and your role with Redshock’s disappearance is noted, but laid blame solely upon his hooves.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I know too well what tricks that filly will play, and while saddened it happened, I will be the first to say you did right trying to recapture the Crystal Heir. Congrats on your promotion Morning Star.”

“Sir? You’re mistaken…”

“Good day Corporal Star. Continue to perform admirably in all facets of your life, and you’ll never regret anything. You as well Private…”

“Gadget Sky, sir.”

“Corporal Morning Star. Private Gadget Sky. Unless it's the Prince or Princess of these lands, do not let a soul behind these doors, clear?”

“Crystal!”
“Crystal!”

With that, the two guards opened the door.


I had arrived early, but wasn’t too surprised to find half of the expected ponies already waiting.

Shifting Winds was present, and sitting in the chair that would be to my right as protocol commanded, while the pony to his right, Medical Lead Paper Weight, looked half asleep. Across from them a pony I’d never personally met, but heard of in passing…

“Dr. Doffen Smurtz. I’m surprised, and thankful for your attendance.”

“Yes. Yes. We are all thrilled you called us for this meeting, which I’m not.”

“Dr. Smurtz, please be more respectful to the Colonel. Unlike you, he has been hooves deep in personal matters…Dr!”

Paper Weight cried as the mad stallion threw his quill at the medical physician.

“My machine is not a waste! How else can we get rid of the snow that surrounds us, but to turn it into a wondrous treat for all!?”

“By collecting it into a cup?” I injected myself into the conversation as I took my seat next to Shifting Winds. The razzled stallion huffed, looked at me and the Head Nurse, before scribbling once more on his parchment, mumbling under his breath.

I leaned over to Shifting Winds and asked more about the stallion, but Paper Weight had more to say.

“He’s my rival. I represent Order while he represents Chaos.”

“Lies! You are worse than that duck of mine, always sticking your bill where it doesn’t belong.”

“Your baked cereal scheme only cut the roofs of ponies mouths, and guess who had to deal with your mess?”

“THAT WAS ONE TIME, AND WITH A MOUTH AS BIG AS YOURS I’M SURPRISED YOU DIDN’T INHALE ANY OF IT!”

“Of course you talk about ducks and bills, because all you do is quack!”

“SILENCE.” It took all of my self control to not mimic my cohorts, but I felt the message got through as they ceased their bickering to look my way. Shifting Winds even leaned a bit further to his right as I continued.

“If I wanted to hear all of this, I would have volunteered at an introductory school for foals. We are representatives of their majesty's court, and thus are held to the higher standards associated with the position. If you can not act accordingly, I will find another that will. Are we clear?”

“Crystal.” Was all of their responses, but of course the good Dr. and Head Nurse’s responses were more tame than Shifting Wind’s. It would suffice for the time being, and Order & Harmony, if they continue I might have to pull a page from Rough Shod’s book, a last resort.

I didn’t even try to hide my displeasure. My patience had grown very stale since coming to the Empire, and so had my aggression since my transformation a couple months ago-almost like I lost my changeling qualities all together. Cersus didn’t seem to notice, but Topaz could tell, and talking with her led to us sneaking into her office after class to perform tests.

It hadn’t been until a lingering student had mistaken our intentions, did the testing stop, and was turned over to Paper Weight, who handled Cersus’s check ups as well.

“Does anypony know when the rest of our compatriots will arrive? I am eager to start, for I have important matters to tackle after we leave.”

Looking at them, Dr. Doffen Smurtz in particular was amused by my question for his laughter alerted me to something I’d missed.

“This is our Colonel, oh! Always with the jokes, trying to make us not look bad. Smurtz needed something to laugh at after the terrible accusations from that Nightmare Fright.”

“Doc! You shut that deformed bill now or I swear…”

“Please refrain from invoking the princesses or any form of higher power for I wish them to remain oblivious of myself.” I shot the angered nurse a look, and found myself feeling this changeling committee might not be a good idea after all, for the mare looked angry but I couldn’t feel it.

“Sir, The doctor’s actions are foalish, but the reasons behind them are more grounded. We are the consul you requested.” Shifting Winds Clarified, and I blinked.

“Harmony and Order. I’d assumed there would be more when I put in the request. What happened to force us into these circumstances?”

“A lack of talent.” Paper blurted out and to my surprise the other two nodded.

“The great Dr. Smurtz has doubled up on his duties like an ice cream with sprinkles! Behold, the retainer of Science and Agriculture.”

“I act as the Head of Medicine and Pony Relations.”

“And I act as your Second in Command while Unstoppable Force is my assistant.”

My ears perked up at that, for I never knew he had received a promotion which might explain his sudden lack of availability. When pressed further for details, Shifting Winds seemed startled that I even asked, and that only grew when I confirmed I only knew of the stallion by the rank of Corporal. The other two said nothing.

“His change of duties was very recent, a week after his first command assignment as per my request. I submitted the request for Private Morning Star to take over his squad, but was denied as she’d been reassigned to Interior Guard Duty.”

“For the record, I just promoted Morning Star to Corporal.” I clarified the change, and the pegasus nodded.

“I’ll see to the promotion myself.”

I nodded, and decided to address the most important reasoning for this summoning.

“Gentelcolts, and Lady. Let us begin our meeting starting with Dr. Smurtz.” I gestured toward the white furred earth pony, who looked up as he mumbled under his breath.

“You have me at a disadvantage! I’m afraid there isn’t much to discuss. Science output has been at an all time low, and nothing short of mandatory weekends could correct the downturn. Also, the Crystal Berries are sweet!” He declared before returning to his parchment.

We waited for the stallion to continue, but when it became apparent he would not continue I proceeded to cough into my hoof to get his attention. The Doctor looked up, and threw up his hooves when we made eye contact.

“Alright, fine! That usually works with the other prying ponies. I wasn’t exaggerating about our production output, despite what some might have you to believe…” He leaned over his table to peer at Paper Weight, who rolled her hoof at the stallion. “We simply lack the infrastructure required to compete on the same economic level as our neighbors.”

“And what economic level do we stand against our neighbors?” I asked, because I don’t remember seeing any factories or any large scale businesses that could produce a product at a steady rate.

“Simply put, none! We barely count as industrializing, and without Equestria treating us like foals would be more backwards then Zebrica!

“Zebrica is a traditional society that believes in the simpler aspects of life, Dr. Doffen Smurtz. It is their choice to live a simple life, and to call them backwards for that choice is a grave insult.” Shifting Winds put his hooves on the table, but Smurtz didn’t pay it any mind.

“Yes. Yes. We’re sorry for pointing out the obvious, but let’s not waste the good Colonel's time. In short, as in a measurement of time, and not height, we are behind. We export nothing but our Crystal Berry harvest, and they only last for a few days out of the Empire before spoiling!”

“Is that true?” I turned to Shifting Winds, and Paper Weight, who by now had chosen to sit up in her chair. They turned to each other and shrugged, but Paper Weight answered the question.

“As much as it would pain me to say it, Doffen is correct. Most of our crop is kept for the Empire, and even the berry harvest is limited to a few crates as they’re an important staple for the Crystal Ponies.”

“And, if only you would admit it all the time we could save our…” I shot the doctor a look, and thankfully he took the hint and continued with his report. “... I mean this is true. Our agriculture is limited to what we can grow in the barrier at the moment, and that is mostly berries! Berry Tea, Berry Ice Tea, Berry Ice Cream, and Berry salad! It's all berries!”

“Then why haven’t I… it's because we live in the castle isn't it?” I caught myself mid thought, and frowned as my three compatriots nodded.

“Equestria supplies most of our pantry sir. I’ve always received the report since my arrival and after your arrival I continue to do so. Every shipment we’ve received till now had been shipped from Manehattan with a few additional crates coming from Fillydelphia, Tall Tale, Apple loosa, and various smaller settlements I”ve never heard of. If I may, I would like to take over for Dr. Doffen Smurtz.”

“I have no objection. Does anypony object?” I asked, and after shaking their heads no, I gave Shifting Winds the floor.

“Thank you, sir. Thank you Dr. Smurtz, and Paper Weight. I’ll make my report very quick. We’re still vulnerable.”

“That was very quick, and straight forward Shifting.” I agreed with the pegasus as he stood up. “What sort of complications should we expect?”

“Sir. Most of our problems are the same as before, but for the interest of our peers I will elaborate the matter in more detail. Even with your recruitment drive, our numbers still remain far under what is needed to guard the Empire. The Crystal Empire in its prime hosted between 2-4 legions at a given time while we can barely field half of a single legion. This was in our strive to uphold the same standards as Equestria.

The ease of adapting a proven training regiment meant we had to dismiss the ponies that didn’t make the cut with the hopes they’ll try again in the next open recruitment drive. That alone lost us an additional 2 dozen bodies, while there seemed to be a lack of general recruitment in the past. Most of the Crystal Ponies we’ve talked to stated it was Princess Amore that selected her guards, and most that served before Sombra had been born into the role. In short, it was a family tradition that encouraged them to produce as many foals as they could to keep their numbers up, but for many factors we can only speculate, that ultimately failed.”

The idea caught my interest as it reminded me of the soldier caste in the hive, and having learned how pony reproduction doesn’t encourage large enough clutches of foals meant this policy wasn’t viable longer then maybe a couple centuries.

“I’m to assume the late Princess Amore didn’t instate any policies to correct this decline?” The pegasus shook his head.

“None that we could discover. The few ponies that could remember the time before Sombra mentioned it became tradition in these guard families to name their children after the parent serving. The idea appears to have stem from the belief that Princess Amore could only be surrounded by her initial chosen, and that by naming them after their parents would appease her.”

“I am impressed by your knowledge Sergeant Winds.” Our other two didn’t seem all that surprised by the stallion’s knowledge, but rightly remained quiet as I spoke. “And you learned of this just by talking with the Crystal Ponies?”

“While they were a huge source of this knowledge, I’m afraid to admit there was another source of questionable quality- Sombra’s collected works.”

“YOU WHAT!?” Paper Weight shouted what I’d been thinking, and even managed to remove her portly body from its seat to better look down at the stallion. Shifting Winds rightly flinched at the mare’s posturing, but it wasn’t until my own movements did the salt and pepper feathered pegasus relent.

“Have you lost all of your senses Shifting Winds?” I asked just as Paper Weight slammed her hooves on the table.

“IT’S NOT ABOUT THE READING COLONEL! THERE IS SO MUCH WE DON’T KNOW OF THAT TYRANT, AND ANYTHING ASSOCIATE WITH HIM IS CONSIDER DANGEROUS!” The mare slumped into her seat after her outburst. “We just.. don’t..don’t know what that..excuse me.”

With that mare turned to the table behind her that held what looked like the remains of her lunch to take a drink. Shifting Winds shifted uncomfortably as Paper Weight caught her breath and finished off her drink that looked like orange juice.

“That stallion was quack, and I should know because I raised one.” Dr. Smurtz commented on the matter. The nurse quickly finished off her drink as she pointed back at the doctor.

“That stallion might be mad, but he was no fool. Everything of his to-date is considered a Class D Harmonic Threat to the world, not just Equestria for the simple fact he’s a known mind controller, and that means treat EVERYTHING of his as jinxed. Colonel I suggest ending the meeting immediately for the sergeant to be tested for any suggestive influences.”

“Colonel, I must protest. I never actually read anything of Sombra’s creation, but the gathered histories of the Empire before they were processed and stored.” Shifting Winds turned me, and while his appearance was a bit less informal then before, I could feel the desperation coming off of him. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

“Sergeant. I’m not trying to remove you from service if that’s what you fear. Yet, if what Paper Weight says is true, then we must take every precaution to ensure his legacy doesn’t further spread. In fact…” I stood up catching the pegasus and earth mare off guard. “We all should be tested to be on the safe side.”

“WHAT!? This is completely not fair, for the Great Doffen Smurtz has been a good colt! Why should I be punished for the molting fool’s spelunking hobby?”

“Because you’re an upstanding citizen in their majesties service, and don’t want to risk infecting them nor the heiress. This isn’t up for debate. We’ll pick up our meeting at the earliest date if all tests prove negative. Nurse, let's begin at once.” I instructed, and with some protest on the good doctor’s part, our meeting was cut short.

It was an unfortunate end to the meeting as I wanted to hear Paper Weight’s report as well as introduce the proposed Exile Committee, but given the circumstances that would have to wait until a further date. The security of the Empire came first, and if we had to spend all day conducting these tests then we would…


The remainder of my day was in fact spent being poked and prodded by the Nurse’s assistant, Medical Atlus, who I found to be something of kindred spirit. His dedication to strictly following protocol even if it went against Paper Weight’s orders left me with a favorable opinion of the unicorn. Unfortunately, this meant the testing took longer and by the time everything was done it was time to retire to my shared quarters.

The Equestrian Guards that’d been posted by our door during the last few months had been reassigned to the entrance of the wing to grant us our privacy once more, and act as a show of good fate. I greeted the pair on duty tonight as they came to attention, and proceeded to our room where I could hear the muffled commotion that normally meant Topaz was in the middle of lecturing Cersus. With the unusual nature of our responsibilities, the nymph doesn’t have a proper schooling as her peers, making the task fall on us to provide the appropriate assignments whenever possible- often during the evening after Topaz’s return from the university.

Being careful to not interrupt, I opened the doors to see several index cards positioned between the two while Topaz pointed at one, likely the source of her current lecture. Eventually the nymph discovered my presence and used the opportunity to end the lesson early, much to my ire for skirting her learning once more.

“IDOL! I GOT A LETTER FROM NIGHTHAWK!” The nymph bounced away from the index cards to run to the desk by Topaz and my bed. I turned to Topaz who began putting up the index cards, but didn’t appear disappointed by the abrupt end to her lesson.

“The mailmare delivered the letter earlier this afternoon when she flew through my window during a lecture. I’d never seen a pegasus violently crash, and shrug it off like a spring shower! She even shook the glass shards off like a dog…”

“Is she alright?”

Topaz looked up from the gathered deck, and nodded. Cersus came running to us with the presumed letter in her magic, waving it in front of me until I took the offered mail.

“SEE! It’s even in her own hoofwriting!”

“It only took a few months to reply…” I started, but was interrupted by Topaz.

“That’s because they couldn’t find us. The mailmare, Order..Harmony bless her, told me. The carrier didn’t believe Nighthawk when she wrote ‘To the princess in the Crystal Castle’ and after much going back and forth did the cross-eyed mailmare claim to know us and delivered it herself- me and you got a letter as well.”

“Nana wants to come visit! So is NightHawk! She says her family is coming by in a few months for some guard stuff, and she can too!”

I had to blink, and think about what the nymph had just said, for it didn’t make sense in the context.

“If this letter was written months ago, then their visit should be fast approaching. You need to draft a reply so we can mail it early tomorrow, but don’t forget to explain the reasoning for the delay.” In her excitement she bounced toward the desk, forgetting the letter. “What about Mrs. Viridian?”

“Mother is ready for a visit. She misses Cersus and wouldn’t mind seeing the Empire they’ve been hearing so much about. I still don’t know what you talked to her about, but thank you Idol. Mother really does love Cersus, and it devastated Cersus frightening her the way she did. So thank you.”

I took a seat on the floor next to her, Topaz tried draping a wing across my back, and with some assistance, did so. We were watching the nymph in the early stages of writing her letter when Topaz informed me of my letter.

“Princess Luna says she's coming here by the beginning of next month, official visit.”

“So she’ll be accompanied by guards. Nighthawk’s parents are Luna’s highest ranked guards…”

“Exactly. I’m going to see if I can get lectures moved around during that week in case they do show up, that way I can watch Cersus and her friend.”

“They would appreciate it.”

“How did your meeting go today?” I frowned, and Topaz noticed. “Not so good then?”

“We had to cut the meeting early since one of the attendees did something that forced us all to get tested. No. We’re fine and there's nothing to worry about. “ Topaz’s muzzle wrinkled in the way a pony smelt something foul, and caught myself trying to reach for her hoof to stroke it. She clearly wanted to press the issue, and was fighting the urge to do so.

“If you’re sure.” Was all she said, and I sighed knowing we would discuss it later, but for now I continued on.

“I gave everypony a week to go over their reports again, and after they finish I’ll push the proposal. Reflecting on the matter, I’ve decided I could do with some preparation of my own and want to know if I might borrow Cersus tomorrow?”

“She’s foalsitting Flurry tomorrow. The students love them, but quite often they do cause a distraction whenever they’re in class.” Her muzzle lost its wrinkled appearance as she rested her head on my shoulder. I was looking down as she was looking up with a knowing smile on her muzzle. “If you take one, you’ll have to take the other.”

Cersus was at the desk trying to write out a proper response, and it seemed she was struggling with it by her constant grumbling, and buzzing wings, but nevertheless didn’t give up. It didn’t require more than a second to make up my mind.

“That would be adequate. Flurry Heart accepts me well enough…”

“She adores you Idol. Personally, I think she knows you’re a changeling like she does with Cersus. Yes, Idol. I caught Cersus a couple of times undisguised around Flurry Heart, but it didn’t seem to bother her.” Topaz straightened up, letting her wing slide down my back as she clapped her hooves together. “OH this will be good for the three of you! You love foals, and been concern your not spending enough time with Cersus so this will be perfect for you!”

“And you can’t join us?” I asked, and she shook her head no.

“Not this time. I can’t keep canceling class all the time as it's unfair to my students, and the university, but me coming along would ruin what’s being planned. This is about the three of you bonding.”

I was saddened to hear that, but agreed with Topaz the day would be fun all the same.

Author's Note:

With this chapter release, we start the final arc of this story with a planned 5 chapters, plus an epilogue remaining! It's been a long ride, and I can't wait to see this story wrap up so I can continue its unofficial sequel "How to Pony".

Cheers!

PreviousChapters Next