• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,666 Views, 105 Comments

Patrilineality - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx start to question who their father is.

  • ...
4
 105
 3,666

Big Brother, Best Brother

“What’s the matter Phar? Why are you acting like this?" Thorax asked him in a low voice.

"Like what?" Pharynx grunted

"You're being so distant... and when you talk there's a slight edge to your voice.”

Pharynx sighed and snuggled up against Thorax. “You have so much in common with him… I guess I’m just a bit worried, is all…”

“About what?” Thorax asked

“It doesn’t matter.” Pharynx sighed, rolling over to face away from him.

“Of course it does!” Thorax protested.

“No, it doesn’t. You’re going to forget anyway.”

“No I won’t!” Thorax’s exclamation caused Metamorphosis to sit up, worried. He watched silently, listening to see whether or not he should step in.

“Yes you will!” Pharynx pulled away from Thorax and stood up, glaring at his brother. “You’re going to forget it all! You're going to bond with him and leave me here all alone and never remember everything I did for you! All the years I spent defending you from bullies! All the years I tried to toughen you up so you wouldn't need me if anything were to happen! All the times I let you cry onto my shoulder... all those times you ran to me... all the years that you hugged me and… and... l-loved me…”

Pharynx sat down on his haunches, head hanging. A tear splashed onto the ground, and Thorax moved closer to him. Pharynx finally spoke again, his voice was low and wavering.

“...All the years that I loved you...”

“Pharynx… what are you saying?” Thorax asked, and Pharynx glanced at him, eyes shining with pain and sadness.

“...What if you don’t need me anymore?” he asked hoarsely, finally admitting what had been eating at him for days.

Thorax sat up as well, and pulled Pharynx into a hug. Pharynx buried his head into Thorax’s chest, and Thorax rubbed his head. When Pharynx glanced up, Thorax saw a familiar wet liquid dripping down his face.

“Pharynx... you’re crying.”

“Sh-shut up, y-you're crying…” Pharynx stammered, which made Thorax chuckle softly. Pharynx pressed his head back into Thorax’s chest, and Thorax nuzzled him.

“Pharynx… I’ll never leave you behind... I’d never let you go…” Thorax rubbed his back.

“You... won’t?”

“Of course not Phar… I will always need you. You’re my big brother, Pharynx, and I will never stop depending on you. No matter who comes into my life.” Thorax said.

Metamorphosis smiled softly behind them, before lying back down so his sons wouldn't see him. They could work this out on their own.

“...Thanks Thorax.” Pharynx pressed against him. “I... I didn’t realize how much I needed to hear that.”

“No problem cuddlebug.” Thorax nuzzled him, then pulled them both back to the ground.

“Not so loud idiot, dad’s right over there.” Pharynx growled

“I don’t know who “idiot” is, cuddlebug.”

Pharynx groaned and rolled his eyes, then rested his head on Thorax’s chest. “Goodnight… snugglebug…” he muttered begrudgingly.

Thorax smiled and rubbed Pharynx's back gently, then kissed his forehead. “Sweet dreams cuddlebug.”

-:- -:- -:- -:- -:- -:-

The next morning, Pharynx blinked heavily and rubbed his eyes, yawning. Thorax was still holding him in a tight embrace. Pharynx smiled and rested his head on his brother's chest.

“Good morning Pharynx.” A voice above him said. Pharynx’s eyes snapped open and he sat up, Thorax’s grip shifting from him. Metamorphosis was sitting nearby, smiling at them.

“Mm… cuddlebug…” Thorax mumbled.

“I… uh…” Pharynx blushed, and Thorax pulled him against him. "Ugh..."

Metamorphosis chuckled, and Pharynx blushed harder. He leaned down and nuzzled his younger brother.

"I'm right here snugglebug." he murmured, just loud enough for Metamorphosis to hear. Metamorphosis let another small chuckle escape at Pharynx's expense.

"You two have names for each other?"

"It's part of being his brother..." Pharynx sighed. "He likes napping near me, and sometimes Ocellus joins us if he can convince her to stop being so shy around royalty. She's our friend too. The whole Hive likes taking naps in big cuddle piles."

"So... cuddlebug and snugglebug... don't they mean the same thing?" Metamorphosis asked

"Shut up." Pharynx glowered at him, then Thorax shifted again, and he rubbed his brother's head to soothe him.

“I admire the relationship you have with him.” Metamorphosis murmured, smiling at his youngest son, who was still asleep, unaware of what was happening around him. “He loves you, he told me that you’ve always been there for him. That he loves and respects you.”

“I know…” Pharynx rubbed a hoof on Thorax’s head. “I love him too… as a brother, I mean. I’m straight… I think…”

“What do you mean?” Metamorphosis asked

“I… well, Ocellus-Thorax’s personal student-was telling us about the different sexualities, and… I think I might be Bisexual. Doesn't matter. The point is… he’s my brother. He always will be, even if he’s a big dork.” Pharynx said

“You’re a dork too.” Thorax had woken, and was sitting up. He wrapped his forelegs around Pharynx and squeezed his sides, making him yelp. “See? Gigglebug.”

“Shut up.” Pharynx rubbed his eyes, yawning.

“I... I heard you two talking last night.” Metamorphosis said slowly. “I didn’t mean to disrupt your relationship with each other…”

“It’s okay dad.” Pharynx said, then frowned. “Still getting used to that.”

Thorax laughed and nuzzled his brother. “Yeah, it’s perfectly alright you heard us, and you're not disrupting anything. Pharynx was just nervous. I know him, he’s probably been bottling up those fears for a while, and last night it just all came out. He was only worried because… well, I never got to have a father while I was growing up… but I had an amazing brother.”

Pharynx looked up at him, mouth slightly open and eyes wide as if in shock. Thorax smiled and nuzzled him.

“You… you think I was that good of a brother?”

“Of course. You were there for me. That’s all I ever needed.” Thorax said, smiling.

“Thanks bro…” Pharynx hugged Thorax, who embraced him. “...We should probably get going.” he said after a minute

“Just a little longer?” Thorax pleaded

“Come on little bro.” Pharynx pulled himself out of his brother’s hug and set about gathering their things.

“No wonder Temp calls you her little toughbug.” Thorax muttered

“Thorax!” Pharynx wheeled around, blushing

“Who?” Metamorphosis asked.

“No one!” Pharynx insisted.

Thorax was about to object, but Metamorphosis shook his head at him. If Pharynx didn’t want him to know, he didn’t have to know. With that, the family headed on, looking forward to finally making it back to the Hive. To bringing Metamorphosis back to the Hive after twenty years.

Author's Note:

And another chapter. We're nearing the end here, but there's still more to come!

~Melody Song