• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,664 Views, 105 Comments

Patrilineality - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx start to question who their father is.

  • ...
4
 105
 3,664

A Metamorphosis of the Mind

“Yep.” Pharynx said in response, glaring at the piece of paper. “A stupid clearing.”

“Maybe there’s something here... or he sheltered here at one point.”

“Thorax... the spell just deactivated.” Pharynx said, noticing that the paper arrow had lost it’s glow and stopped spinning.

“But... then that means…” Thorax and Pharynx looked at each other.

Thorax began searching around the clearing. He peeked behind trees and bushes, looking for anything that might show them why the arrow had stopped. Thorax took the paper from Pharynx and held it up, trying to make the spell activate again. Pharynx, however, took a different approach.

Pharynx opened his mouth and immediately caught a trace of life. A scent of love. He trained his eyes in the direction it was coming from. Thorax followed his gaze, then nudged Pharynx. The arrow shuddered, glowing again, and spinning slightly to point in the same direction as the scent of love Pharynx had detected.

They followed the love and the arrow to a dense patch of ferns and swept them aside. A shallow indent was there. It was about the size of the nest Thorax had made the night before, revealing the size of the creature that had been sleeping in it. Thorax trotted up and gazed down at it.

“Do you think…”

"It's possible." Pharynx replied. "But why would he stay so close to the Hive if he left? It doesn't make sense."

Thorax pawed at the nest. "Maybe he's trying to find his way back."

“Who are you?” they whipped around to see a tall male creature stalking out of the woods. A creature of a kind they had hoped they would never see again.

He was large, Thorax’s height, with a long, twisted horn. He had a messy red mane and short red tail. There were familiar holes in his legs and in his hair. On his back was a jagged purple carapace, with large, glittery purple wings extending from it. He glared at them from cat-like eyes, colored purple at the top and fading to blue. His fangs were bared, and he was snarling.

“Who are we? More like who are you.” Pharynx snarled, stepping in front of Thorax.

Thorax reached and pulled Pharynx backwards with a foreleg, then stepped up to look the strange changeling in the eyes.

“You...are you…”

“I’m a changeling, yeah.” he said, without waiting for Thorax to finish, eyes narrowed. “Why do you ask, candy bug?”

“Hah!” Pharynx barked out behind Thorax. “And here I thought Lime-ling was a good one.”

Thorax turned to glare at Pharynx, who grinned smugly back. The other changeling’s eyes seemed to flash with recognition at the smirk on Pharynx’s face.

“Ch-Chrissy?”

“What? Do I look female to you?” Pharynx growled

“No...I’m sorry, I’ve just seen that same exact expression on…” he sighed “The face of someling I knew once...we haven’t seen each other in over twenty years…”

“Chrysalis?” Thorax asked, making Pharynx flinch slightly.

“Y-yes, how did-”

“Are you...Metamorphosis?” Thorax asked slowly, and the changeling blinked

“Who are you?”

“Classic diversion tactic, you’re trying to distract us so you don’t have to admit he’s right.” Pharynx said

“...Yes, I am King Metamorphosis...or I was, anyway...but how do you know changeling diversion tactics?” the changeling asked, looking pointedly at Pharynx.

“I’ll show you.” Pharynx said.

There was a flash of green light, and he was in his original form. Much shorter, with a black chitin and a jagged purple back carapace, along with holes in his legs. Red fin on his neck, and a red tail, narrow violet eyes that glared over his long fangs. He flicked out his tongue, hissing threateningly, before transforming back.

“Y-you're…?”

“We’re changelings.” Thorax said, as green flames engulfed him.

He shrank down, the same size as Pharynx had been, possibly a bit smaller. Holes in his legs, black chitin, with a smooth, teal back carapace and matching wings. His eyes were a solid aqua, smaller fangs than his brother, and a black neck fin and tail.

He changed back, looking intently at Metamorphosis. “You don’t have to look like you do now...you already have the wings.”

“These…?” Metamorphosis turned to look at the glittering purple wings. "Had the glittering for a while...not sure what they meant or why they started sparkling."

“It means you’re nearly there. You just need to share love freely… father…”

“What did you call me?”

“He said ‘father’.” Pharynx said. “Didn't you notice how much our old forms looked like...well, like you?”

Metamorphosis’ eyes widened and he took them in. “Ch-Chrissy’s eggs hatched…?”

“I-I’ve always wondered where you were…we both have.” Thorax held out the letter. “And when we found this…”

Metamorphosis’ eyes scanned the paper. “I thought she’d have gotten rid of it for sure… where is your mother, anyway? Did she change too? Did you two succeed where I failed?”

Thorax and Pharynx looked at each other, then back at him.

“Chrysalis… mother… refused to join the rest of us… we don’t know where she is.” Thorax said

“...Oh…” Metamorphosis looked away. “...I saw something in her… there was good. She was just… broken.”

“...Dad?” Thorax stepped forwards, and he turned back, smiling.

“But you changed… sorry, I don’t think you told me your names...Chrissy never wrote back.”

“He’s Thorax. I’m Pharynx. To be more formal, our titles are King Thorax, and Prince-General Pharynx.”

“King?”

“Heh...someling had to take over… the others kind of… decided it would be me.”

“But don’t be fooled, I’m older.” Pharynx added “He got the height in the transformation.”

“Heh… I can tell you got your mother’s attitude.”

“He...he did. He was her Head of Patrol.” Thorax said warily, glancing over at Pharynx, who merely snorted. He didn't like to use his old title very much anymore, and Thorax knew it.

“So, what happened?”

“It's a bit of a long story...why don’t we head back to the Hive? We can tell you on the way.”

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the Hive.” Metamorphosis smiled “I look forward to seeing how things have changed-if everyling looks like you, I’ll have to see about ‘transforming’ as you called it.”