• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,661 Views, 105 Comments

Patrilineality - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx start to question who their father is.

  • ...
4
 105
 3,661

I Want To Be Okay With It

Pharynx found himself at a lake near Ponyville. He sighed and sat down, lifting a few rocks in his magic and tossing them into the lake absentmindedly. He gazed blankly as they hit the water, sinking to the bottom of the lake quickly. Pharynx heard armor clinking, and the sound of four shoe-covered hooves.

“What do you want Tempest?” he sighed

“I just want to know why you’re so opposed to Thorax trying to figure out who your dad is.” Tempest sat down beside Pharynx and nuzzled him.

Pharynx sat beside her in silence for a minute. Tempest watched the lake, waiting patiently. Pharynx eventually sighed and looked away from her.

“...He’s gone, that's why. I don’t know if he’s alive or not, but either way, he’s gone and he clearly doesn’t have any intent of coming back. Otherwise he'd already be back. And what’s the point of looking for him if he’s not here? It’s only going to hurt Thorax, most likely emotionally. You know him, he’ll let it get him all riled up and then... well... I don't know what he'd do but it would be nothing good.”

“Pharynx, just because he's not back, it doesn't mean that he doesn't want to come back. Maybe there's something stopping him, or he left for similar reasons as Thorax, and doesn't know about the Hive's Great Change." Tempest said

"Highly unlikely. Besides, I need to protect Thorax so he doesn't get hurt."

"Even if it wasn't a possibility, you know Thorax is an adult, same as you. He can make his own decisions and trying to control him his just going to drive him away." Tempest watched Pharynx carefully as he stared at the ground. "And you know that you will always be there to help him if something does happen. Why stop him when you know you can comfort him if he does get hurt?”

Pharynx stared at the ground, blushing. Tempest put a hoof on his shoulder.

"There's another reason you don't want him searching for your father."

“...What… what if he finds our dad… and he becomes Thorax’s emotional support? Where will I be?” Pharynx finally said

Tempest chuckled softly. “Pharynx, your brother needs you. That’s not ever going to change, no matter what. He depends on you, the same way you do with him.”

“I-I don’t depend on him…”

“You’re sitting here with me because you’re worried he’ll forget about you.” Tempest deadpanned “You need him Phar, whether you realize it or not.”

“...But even then… I’m not sure I want our dad to be alive…" Pharynx admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"He left us Temp… yes, changelings were pretty much cold blooded and heartless back then but nymphs still knew who their parents were. Their mother and father would usually raise them until they were old enough for training.”

“You’re saying that you think he doesn’t deserve you looking for him.” Tempest interpreted, and Pharynx nodded.

Tempest shifted and sat closer to him, letting him lean on her.

"I understand what it's like, Pharynx. To be unsure about finding your family." she reached to rub her broken horn.

"What do you mean?"

"When I left my hometown... I ran away from home. My parents weren't good to me after the accident. They drove me away by trying to find ways to control my life and keep me on the path they planned out for me. And even now, despite Princess Twilight's encouragement, I still haven't gone home."

Pharynx blinked. "Not even while you were spreading word of the defeat of the Storm King?"

"Avoided the town like the plague. They probably didn't even know about the attack, my hometown was pretty secluded." Tempest sighed, then looked to Pharynx. "My point was, I understand why you're upset."

"But still... he's not here. He didn't want to come back."

“You know, just because he’s not here doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be with you. Like I said before, maybe he’s from another land, not necessarily another Hive, but another place outside Equestria. Or maybe Chrysalis exiled him for some reason.”

“Yeah, maybe…” Pharynx sighed

"And you know... if you find your father, and he's cruel and there's no logical reason you should keep him around... then you can handle that. Protect your brother like you wanted." Tempest said

Pharynx hesitated, then nodded.

“Okay, I’ll let Thorax try to look for him… speaking of Thorax, I should probably go apologize for yelling at him, right?”

“I think so.” Tempest said, then they both shared a laugh over their lack of knowledge on friendship etiquette.

-:- -:- -:- -:- -:- -:- -:-

Pharynx trotted up to Thorax, who was now talking with Ember, Smolder, and Ocellus. Thorax turned to look at him.

“Oh, hey Pharynx…” Thorax said softly.

“Thorax… I’m sorry for snapping… I was just frustrated you weren’t listening to me.”

“It’s okay Pharynx. And I was listening, I just… had a different idea about what we should do.” Thorax glanced over at Ember, Smolder, and Ocellus. “I told them, by the way.”

“You-of course you did.” Pharynx sighed “Anyway… if you want to look for him, I’ll support you.”

“Thanks Pharynx.” Thorax pulled him in for a hug.

“Yeah, okay, now let go.” Pharynx said, struggling slightly. Thorax released him.

“So, you’re going to look for your father?” Ocellus asked

“Of course. I think we deserve to know who he was, and why he’s not here.” Thorax said

"Yeah..." Pharynx sighed “So, where should we start?” he asked

“Probably the records back at the Hive. I know you said you’ve never come across his name, but maybe it's possible you missed something?”

“...Sure…” Pharynx said, glancing away.

Tempest gave Pharynx a concerned look, and he gave her a slight nod to show her he was okay. Because he was. Thorax began talking with Ember and Ocellus, and Pharynx stared at the opposite wall.

"It's just nerves... right? Yeah, that's probably all it is. But... how can I support Thorax on this if I still don't think it's the right call...?"