• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,657 Views, 105 Comments

Patrilineality - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx start to question who their father is.

  • ...
4
 105
 3,657

Acception

Metamorphosis cleared his throat and raised his voice. It had been a long time since he'd had to speak to a crowd. He hoped the words would come easily.

“Everyling, I have not come for Thorax’s throne. When I left the Hive of my own will, it was to find a better way. And now all of you have already found one. I can hardly believe it was my own son who discovered the alternative, nor that he and his brother rule the Kingdom. But I am not like Chrysalis. I don’t want anything more than what I have now. I know perfectly well just who the rightful leader of the Hive is, and he’s standing beside me right now.”

Metamorphosis turned and bowed to Thorax, whose eyes were wide in surprise.

“So, after all this time, I return to the Hive, not as your King…” Metamorphosis looked up at Thorax. “But as a worthy and willing subject. I will live the rest of my life in the Hive, as no more than one.”

Thorax smiled as Metamorphosis rose. “Thank you, dad.”

“I couldn’t be prouder of both of you.” Metamorphosis said

“Are you ready to transform?”

“I always have been.” Metamorphosis said “I love you boys.”

They waited. Metamorphosis closed his eyes and willed his love to release and go to them. It didn’t.

“Why isn’t it working…?” Thorax murmured

Pharynx lit up his antlers, joined by Thorax. Metamorphosis held still as their magic passed over him. The two stepped back.

“Oh no…” Thorax gasped

“What is it?” Metamorphosis asked

“There’s something wrong with your magic, it’s not letting you transform.”

There were shocked gasps and murmurs all around. Pharynx growled, their talking combined with the original accusations of both himself and Metamorphosis seeming to have finally hit his last nerve. He shot a powerful beam of light over their heads, scorching the opposite wall.

“Hey! So what if he can’t transform?!” Pharynx yelled at the top of his lungs. His voice dropped and his next words were barely audible. “He’s Thorax and I’s father, and we love him. What does it matter if he can’t transform? He belongs here, with us.”

There was silence, then they heard hooves stomping. Tempest, stomping her hooves in celebration, and Ember clapping along beside her. Then…

“I accept him!”

It was an ice blue changeling with white tinges. She stood between a blue male and a pink female. A green male hovered above them. The four began cheering and stomping their hooves.

“Yeah!”

“He can stay!”

“He belongs with us!”

More and more changelings joined in the cries. Metamorphosis’ eyes filled with tears of joy as he stood between his two sons. He unashamedly basked in all the love being felt for him that washed over his body, taking it all in and satisfying his hunger.

"Dad?" Thorax looked to him. "You're not... upset that you can't transform, are you? I mean... you'll always be hungry, now."

Metamorphosis hesitated to respond. While the hunger had diminished slightly since returning to the Hive, he knew it would never leave completely, as was the curse of the changelings.

But then Metamorphosis watched the crowd, who were cheering and stomping there hooves in approval. They were sharing so much love, directed at him and his sons.

"You know... I think I can live with that, Thorax." Metamorphosis smiled at his youngest son. "The hunger will never go away. But I am not starving. I can get more love at any time."

"And we'll be happy to provide it." Thorax agreed, smiling.

"Yeah. Believe me, I know what that's like..." Pharynx sighed.

"And the sparkling wings on your back mean that your hunger will be lessened." Thorax nuzzled him. "And they'll prove to everyone that you're capable of embracing love."

"Heh, yes they will." Metamorphosis smiled and nuzzled Thorax back.

"Mhm. And Pharynx and I love you, no matter what you look like." Thorax smiled at him.

Metamorphosis looked to Pharynx, who looked back. "What?"

"You're not going to say anything?"

"I'm not all touchy-feely like you two." Pharynx defended, then looked away. "Besides... Thorax already said everything I was thinking anyway..." he mumbled.

Metamorphosis knew, in that moment, that he was right where he belonged. That after over twenty years, he was finally back home. Back with his family. His sons.

“Oh boys… I love you so much.” Metamorphosis said, nuzzling Thorax, and then looping his hole-covered foreleg around Pharynx in a hug.

“Ugh…”

“I guess now you’ve got two changelings to bug you with hugs and nuzzles.” Thorax teased

“...You know what? I think I can live with that.” Pharynx sighed, smiling. Thorax beamed at him, and Pharynx’s expression suddenly darkened. “But if you think for one second that this means you’ll get me involved in those group cuddle nap-whatevers, then hivemother help me Thorax, I’ll make you pay.”

"Y-yes sir..." Thorax said nervously.

Thorax's response suddenly reminded Metamorphosis of something.

“Pharynx, would you like some help with your guard? I heard you complaining about them earlier.” Metamorphosis offered

“...You know what? That would be great. Thanks, dad.” Pharynx smiled up at his father. Metamorphosis smiled back, then turned to Thorax.

“And Thorax, I’d be happy to offer you advice if needed. I did learn quite a bit about the royal duties while I was the King.”

“Oh, I would love that! Thank you dad!” Thorax said.

Metamorphosis smiled widely and pulled both his sons close. The royal family stayed in the hug for a while longer. Then, Pharynx decided to kill the sweet moment.

“Okay, get off guys. I love you and all but this is my limit.” Pharynx complained, trying to break free.

Thorax and Metamorphosis looked at each other and laughed, smiling. Pharynx chuckled a little himself. This was definitely the start of a new day for the royal brothers. New adventures and excitement on the horizon, that they would confront together. As a family. Like they were always meant to.

Author's Note:

The End. But not to worry! There is a sequel on the way! Got the idea while talking with this person in the comments, and it will be an anthology of sorts. I do hope you enjoyed the ending for Patrilineality itself, I'll release the sequel soon.

~Melody Song

Comments ( 26 )

Well, this was all sorts of interesting. Though... why can't Meta transform? There's literally no explanation.

10422548
It's going to be elaborated on in the sequel (Also I like the design I came up for him and didn't want that changed)

10422616
Yeah. Besides, if he did reform he'd probably just end up looking like Pharynx but with a mane and single horn instead of antlers

I'll be waiting for the sequel.
This is a great feel good story,
And I look forward to where it goes.

10424242
Heh, thanks. The sequel should hopefully be out soon. Thanks for the follow by the way!

10424247
How else am I suppose to know when the sequel comes out, and I did like this story so much, it wouldn't hurt to see what else you come up with

It could be he needs more time

10428221
He'll be shown getting adjusted to life in the Hive in the sequel.

10428230
Well I was trying to transformation.

10428281
Oh. Well, that will also be explained in the sequel

You know, I never really understood why its kept lampshaded how Thorax and Pharynx are just brothers in this story, it's making that effect where such specific denial only brings the thought further into mind.

[checks out the other stories]

Ohh, so that's why.

10707580
What do you mean by that? (just genuinely curious, not being condescending or anything)

10707582
It was a bit odd to me to have Thorax and Pharynx need to clarify the nature of their physical affection more than once, given how Changelings are and the way they're done in other stories that actually do have them together like that (I've read a few)

But seeing as right at the top of your story list there's one that tackles this subject directly, I guess it seemed...fitting? This is the first I've seen of your work

10707599
Ah, well, yeah

The reason I at first didn't make the brothers more than siblings, it's because this was actually the first story involving changelings that I ever published, and I didn't want people who hated incest to immediately downvote it. I've gotten more confident about it recently-though I forgot I emphasized they were merely brothers in this story. I do believe the two are more like "brothers with benefits" (my stories Could Never Be and Love Shouldn't Have Consequences being exceptions) and yes, Ember and Tempest know about it, and they have a very open mindset with it. I just haven't made it obvious, aside from a couple skits I made in blogs.

10707607
Yeah, I figured as much given the date.

For all its faults though, experience with writing will just take its own time to build. No one's writing LOTR (well) for their first thing. But for what it's worth, people tend to be...weird, especially on this site. I'm sure one could get an audience for anything nowadays.

10707657
Fair enough

I might post a blog with a skit of Thor and Phar that explains their relationship to each other as well as Ember and Tempest

10732469
Indeed I do. He feels the same.

And I'm glad you like it

10732479
Okay! Have fun! I do that all the time

Will this story have a changeling in it who never reformed because he liked taking love by force?

Just found and read this. Nice story.

Login or register to comment