• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,659 Views, 105 Comments

Patrilineality - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx start to question who their father is.

  • ...
4
 105
 3,659

His Choice

Metamorphosis considered Thorax's suggestions for a minute or so. He eventually smiled at his son.

“I think I would like to transform. From what you and Pharynx have told me, the changelings don’t take kindly to our old forms, and I want them to feel comfortable around me. I’ve been gone for so long I doubt any who remember me will remember what I was like. Remember that I’m not a threat.”

“Yeah, he’s definitely your dad Thor.” Ember said, chuckling and smiling as she glanced up at him. Thorax blushed sheepishly and gave her an awkward smile.

“Totally. Now do you see why Chrysalis liked me Temp?” Pharynx asked the unicorn.

“Of course, I can imagine you must have been her mirror image in personality.” Tempest Shadow told him, then leaned over and kissed his cheek. Pharynx turned red and looked away, hiding his face.

Metamorphosis smiled at the exchange. "It may also be because you looked like me."

"Yeah, maybe... still. I earned every position I had through my own merit." Pharynx said proudly.

Metamorphosis chuckled. "And I'm very proud of you for achieving what you wanted. But do you think we can begin the transformation?”

“We can whenever you’re ready dad.” Thorax said with a soft smile.

Metamorphosis smiled back. “Then can we let everyling see? I would like to see them all again, it's been a long time.”

Pharynx grinned widely. “Dibs on waking them up!” he then bolted out of the room.

“What the…? Wait... Pharynx you had better not do anything too bad!” Thorax let his hoof fall from where it was still around Ember's waist, then ran after him.

“Are they always like this?” Metamorphosis asked the girls.

“Nah, not really. Pharynx just doesn’t like some of the habits the changelings picked up, one of them being their habit of falling asleep in piles in random places. Apparently it helps them regain energy, but they tend to do it in places like the hallways, or rooms that are usually crowded.” Tempest Shadow replied

“Right, that’s what it was about.” Ember said with a snap of her claws, clearly referring to what her answer had been to Pharynx's earlier question on where everyone was. “Shouldn’t it just be common sense not to fall asleep where someone can trip over you?”

“Probably. But from the way Pharynx rants about it you wouldn’t think so.” Tempest Shadow replied with a slight roll of her eyes.

“Um... Tempest Shadow, how is it you... the scar and…”

“First of all, just call me Tempest. Second…” Tempest reached and rubbed the base of her jagged horn. “I lost it due to a foolish mistake in my youth… I wandered too close to an… an Ur… Urs…”

“She can’t bring herself to say it." Ember explained "Princess Twinkle-Light-whatever thinks that Temp's got a deep-seated fear of the things, so much so they terrify her to the point of not being able to even say the name.” Ember placed a claw on Tempest’s shoulder.

"Oh... I'm sorry-"

“Nah, don't be. What happened was her horn was sliced off by an Ursa Minor.”

“Em…” Tempest moaned, screwing her eyes shut. “It’s not here, it’s not here, it’s not here...”

“Sorry Temp.” Ember squeezed the mare's shoulder and gave her a light punch. This seemed to help, as Tempest took a few deep breaths and composed herself.

“Why don’t we go check on Thorax and Pharynx.” Metamorphosis suggested

The mares nodded and led the way out of the room. The three creatures followed the sound of chatter. Thorax trotted up to them as they got close to a doorway that Metamorphosis recognized as the entrance to the throne room.

“Oh good, you’re here. Pharynx and I gathered everyling. Whenever you’re ready dad.”

“Alright.” Metamorphosis smiled "I'm ready."

Thorax led them to what Metamorphosis had been certain was the throne room. It was, but seemed to be completely renovated. Now, grasses and moss and other plants grew everywhere in the room. A platform rose a little bit above the hundreds of colorful creatures that must be the reformed changelings. On the platform stood a great oaken throne, the top looking very much like a tree. Pharynx stood beside it, and Thorax left Metamorphosis’ side to stand before the throne, leaving his father with Ember and Tempest, off to the side of the platform and out of view.

“Everyling, I have gathered you all because, as you know, Pharynx and I have been gone for a few days.” Thorax spoke loudly.

Chatter immediately broke out. Pharynx stomped a hoof. “Let him speak!” he bellowed, and they fell silent.

“That’s my bug.” Tempest whispered from beside Metamorphosis, who smiled inwardly at the obviously strong love the unicorn held for his son.

“Not all of you know why we left, and the reason was… Pharynx and I went in search of our father. The former King of the Changeling Hive.”

The murmuring grew louder and Pharynx charged up his antlers, sending a blast into the air, which exploded in a threatening manner. As the crowd yelped and grew silent, Pharynx spoke.

“That was a warning. Shut up and let my brother speak or next time I aim much closer than the sky.” he growled.

“Did you teach him that spell Temp?” Ember inquired of her friend.

“He was curious.” Tempest shrugged, as Thorax continued.

“We managed to find something written by him and used a tracing spell to find where he went. And… well… you should see for yourselves.”

Thorax turned, and Metamorphosis took that as his cue. He stepped out of the shadows and climbed onto the platform, standing beside his sons. The crowd of changelings began to gasp and murmur.

“Everyling, this is Metamorphosis, former King of the Changeling Hive.”

“He’s not gonna try to take your job, is he?!” they heard one yell. Pharynx’s hackles raised and Thorax looked taken aback.

“Yeah, you’re our King!”

“Thorax is the rightful King!”

“Everyone, silence!” Pharynx yelled, and they all turned their gazes on him. “What do you take us for?! Do you think we would have brought him back here if he had those intentions?!”

They quieted for a moment, before whispers broke out. Then, Metamorphosis heard it.

"Like we'd take the word of the traitor Pharynx..."

"Why should we believe him of all changelings?"

"For all we know he's brainwashed Thorax again. Just like when he somehow got Thorax to keep him around..."

Those phrases as well as similar accusations were being whispered somewhere among the crowd. Metamorphosis saw Pharynx's muscles tense and his eyes darken. He had heard them too, and was clearly upset by their words. Metamorphosis realized then that they weren't listening to his sons. He would have to defend himself.

Metamorphosis took a breath to compose himself, and then stepped forward.

Author's Note:

Heh, fair warning, this is the second to last chapter. Just one more, and in it, we'll see just how much Metamorphosis loves his kids. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

~Melody Song