• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 8,922 Views, 841 Comments

Slice of Velvet and Pear - David Silver



We walk down our long roads of life, but what of the roads not taken? Twilight and Applejack are carried along a different path, where their fates were bound in new ways.

  • ...
20
 841
 8,922

PreviousChapters Next
50 - Nightmare Night

"Is that Starswirl?" Moon circled Twilight, examining her outfit. "Very authentic."

Twilight sat up with a proud beam. "I tried to get it right." She pawed with a hoof at her jingly hat bells. "Glad you could see it."

"How's mine?"

Twilight considered Moon. "I'm having trouble placing the specific creature you were aiming for..."

Spike grabbed Moon from the side. "She's my dragon mom."

Moon smiled awkwardly, dressed as a larger dragon, though being larger than Spike wasn't too hard. "We went for matching costumes." Her large dragon tail gave a twitch as her pony tail moved inside it. "Like it?"

Twilight looked between Spike, also dressed as a dragon, and Moon, the larger dragon with noticeable lashes. "Are you sure you aren't already related?"

Spike snickered, but was rushing for the door, throwing it open to reveal Diamond and Silver. "Hey!"

"Hey," echoed the two, going in for brief hugs. Diamond looked past Spike, to the adults within. "Is she... dressed as your mom?"

Spike colored faintly. "Yeah... Silly, right? That's half the holiday."

Silver laughed at the sight. "Looking good, Moon! C'mon. Let's go get some candy!"

The little ones set off in pursuit of sweets.

Moon and Twilight stepped out to enjoy their Nightmare Night date on the town. A pity a sudden darkness rolled over them.

A large figure descended, wings unfurled. "How is it they have only just informed me that there is a holiday for me?" She shouted with the royal voice, sending both sets of their ears pinning to their head. "I wish to learn more of it."

Twilight inclined her head at the ruler. "Well, Moon Dancer here is the personal protégé of your sister. I imagine--"

"--I would want to speak with her," boomed Luna without effort. "Very wise. Moon Dancer, I request your aid."

Moon flinched back. "Um, Your Majesty, please..." She brought up her hooves together slowly. "Quieter. I apologize, but loud sounds are very troubling to me."

Luna blinked in confusion. "Truly?" she asked in a far more conversational tone. "That was not mine intention. Moon Dancer, can you instruct me in the workings of this holiday?"

Moon smiled a little. "Oh. Mistakes happen..." Luna was... maybe a little like herself? Holding a grudge on a fellow awkward socialite felt bad... "Twilight?" But Twilight had taken the chance to flee. "Oh..." She was on her own, with Luna. "Very well. Nightmare Night is an evening of frivolity, at its core."

"I see." Luna reached out a hoof, feeling along one of Moon's fake dragon wings. "What is the intention of the costume thou dost wear?"

"Mythologically, or practically?" asked Moon without a pause. "They are very different after years of cultural evolution."

Luna's eyes widened. "I see why I was directed in thine care! Thou doest seem knowledgable in the way of things. I would know both of these ways of thinking. Instruct me!" She may have boomed that last part, blushing at her mistake. "Please," she added, far more quietly.

"Very well." Moon began walking alongside Luna towards the merry making going on through the town. "Culturally, it has become a way of showing the world that you are taking part in the festivities. The more ornate and clever the outfit, the more accolades one might draw. Did you see Twilight? She--"

"--was dressed as Starswirl the Bearded. Quite well made." Luna nodded with appreciation. "I should give her accolades?"

"Hm." Moon considered the fleeing Twilight. "If you see her, tell her you like it. She'll like that, I think. I did not attempt to impersonate any famous figures."

"No... Thou appear to be a dragon." Luna leaned in over Moon, examining her from a new angle. "Well put together. But I have no costume. Will ponies assume that I am not taking part in this festivity?"

Moon lifted a hoof to her chin. "Fortunately... I think you lucked out."

"In what manner does mine luck extend?!" She looked quite excited, clapping her hooves a brief moment.

"That goes into the historical," explained Moon with a swirl of a hoof. "Nightmare Night is named after Nightmare Moon, that's you. You being present at all is probably very exciting to all ponies."

Looking around, she could see ponies quivering in fear and kowtowing, prostrate on the ground whenever she wandered past. "They appear to be treating me as royalty... I can appreciate that, but this is a night of frivolity, is it not? How do I convince them that I come with frivolity intended?"

Moon considered that. She did not understand much of the way of social interactions, but that Luna was feeling like an outsider... that much seemed quite clear. "Let's play some games, and do it as any other pony would." She directed Luna towards the bin full of apples, with Applejack standing next to it. "Applejack."

"Moon!" She closed for a hug. "An'... Sorry, who's that?"

Luna perked her ears. "Truly, thou doest not recognize me?"

Moon waved to Luna. "This is Luna, sister of Celestia? We rescued her?"

Applejack went red instantly. "Oh! Oh! You done grew up since last ah saw ya. Welcome!" She turned back to the bin of apples. "Care to dunk fer an apple? Just shove your head right in there and take an apple in yer teeth and nothin' else. No magic, no wings, no hooves, just teeth."

"I see..." Luna slid up and sat down at the bin, watching the apples bob a moment. "What is the purpose of this?"

"Frivolity," repeated Moon.

"Of course." Luna clopped a hoof to her forehead. "A very frivolous pursuit. I will attempt it." She lowered her neck to the water's surface and bit at an apple, but it floated away, her movement causing eddies in the water. "It is more tricky than I thought..." She tried for another apple. "Closer..."

Applejack sat beside Moon, watching Luna try to get an apple. "Yer doin' good! Don't give up!" She looked to Moon. "How'd you go an' get saddled with a princess?"

"Happenstance, and a betrayal." Moon was smiling a little though. "I don't mind. I will assist her in having a good time. She... reminds me of myself when I first arrived... I wish I had a quiet pony back then."

Applejack raised an ear. "Didn't ask Fluttershy?"

"She is quiet," admitted Moon. "But, not as willing to explain things to me."

"Ah ha!" Luna wrenched upwards with an arc of water, an apple clenched in her teeth. "I did it! I am the victor! What do I win?"

Applejack pointed to the captured apple. "Ya get to eat that, to start."

Luna sank her teeth into the apple, chomping it almost in half, the rest falling into her magic to float there as she chewed on what she already had. "Mmm. To start?"

"Yup." Applejack fetched a pumpkin container and put it down between herself and Luna. "Everypony who gets an apple can also grab a piece of candy to celebrate. How's that fer a sweet reward?"

"Thou has good taste in rewards." Luna willed a wrapped candy free, pulling it free and popping the butterscotch into her snout. "Mmm, very good taste. I can fetch another apple for another candy?"

Moon waved her hooves quickly. "Let's allow other ponies to have a turn. Tonight, you are a pony enjoying the frivolity, not a princess."

Luna seemed confused a moment, but it sank in. "Thine consideration seems sound." She rose to her hooves, allowing another pony to come up and give it a try. "That was fun, but I see other frivolous games being played. I would see them all! Instruct me in how to play."

"It's Nightmare Moon!" screeched Pinkie suddenly. "She's gonna gobble our bottoms!" She fled with a screaming pack of foals in all directions away from Luna.

Luna started after them. "W-wait, I wouldn't..." But they were gone. "What did I do wrong?"

Moon moved to sit next to Luna. "That was Pinkie Pie. I am friends with her, but discerning the meaning behind her actions is very difficult. My favorite riddle, in some ways... She is making a reference."

"A reference to what? Share thine wisdom with me." She curled her hooves at herself. "I would know why they all fled my presence."

Moon considered how to phrase that and went straight ahead. "When you had your... time of trouble... it left a mark on ponies."

Luna's eyes widened, just to narrow. "This holiday is about that?! I should have known!" Her volume rose to booming, but fell flat to barely a whisper. "Of course ponies would remember that... There is little more of mineself to remember..."

Moon reached to pat Luna awkwardly. "You are... I've made mistakes before."

"You did not attempt to depose your sister and ruler of the land," flatly countered Luna. "I imagine."

"My sister is not royalty." Moon rubbed at her cheek at the thought. "No... But I have been left looking like a foal, and I'll do it again, I imagine... I know the feeling, like you want to run away... Like everypony is thinking the worst things about you... Like you should have known better."

Luna inclined her head. "And what does thou do to address these feelings?"

Moon tapped her hooves. "First, attempt to discern what caused the problem. Second, admit that I am likely the error. Third, make ammends." She inclined her head. "This does not feel proper for you. You have made no errors within the last thousand years. I suggest, instead, we discern the true feeling of ponies."

"Y-yes, that sounds wonderful." She grabbed Mayor Mare from walking past. "You! What is thine honest opinion of me?" she demanded in a boom.

Mayore Mare shrank away as best she could, held firmly. "P-please..."

"Correction, that was a mistake. Please set Mayor Mare down, carefully."

"Hm?" Luna put Mayor Mare down. "Mine apologies."

Mayor Mare dusted herself off with a nervous smile. "T-thank you..." She tried to stand up properly and regain some of her lost dignity. "I hope you are enjoying the celebration?"

"I would be enjoying it more if I understood thine thoughts." Luna tilted her head at Mayor Mare. "Please share them with me."

Moon tried to play the middle pony. "She wants to know what you think of her."

"Oh, I see... A little intimidating, if we're honest. Shouting does that, to be blunt."

Luna angled an ear. "But is it not customary for royalty to speak in the royal voice?"

Mayor Mare directed at her clown's nose. "I am normally a very serious ruling pony, as mayor of Ponyville, but tonight is a night of--"

"--frivolity," gasped out Luna as if understanding. "Of course! So one would not speak in the royal voice, for that is the opposite of frivolity. I am disgracing the evening every time I raise my voice in seriousness. But, I admit confusion. Perhaps, being a fellow pony of import, you could explain it to me?"

"I can certainly try." Mayor Mare shared a glance with Moon, as if asking how she got that job.

"I have been told this night is in... memory of that unfortunate time... But I see little hint of mineself in it. Where am I in this holiday that declares itself to be mine?"

Mayor Mare directed a hoof into the forest. "The foals are going to get a telling of the tale. Zecora has volunteered her services as a storyteller. I... don't take offense, but can you appear as Nightmare Moon? Or is that well in the past?"

Luna flinched at the very idea. "I... never tried before."

"If you could, I feel certain Zecora would adore your help in her story, put the fear into those little foals."

Luna sputtered. "Thou want me to terrify your foals?!"

"All in good sport," Mayor Mare beeped the clown's noise she wore. "They will love it, after they finish running in terror. Nightmare Night is a night of frights, candy, and, fun."

Moon started with a realization. "Pinkie!"

"Pinkie?" Luna looked to Moon. "What of thine loud friend?"

"She was trying to help, in her own way, I think... Those foals were part of a game, not acting in genuine distress."

Luna was still a moment. "Frivolous!"

Such was the theme of the night.

Author's Note:

I legit liked this, also Luna is a good pony, but you probably already knew that. I like how Moon and Luna clicked, two awkward ponies, trying to enjoy the evening.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, see the updates early, and/or get your own written here at atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next