• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 8,925 Views, 841 Comments

Slice of Velvet and Pear - David Silver



We walk down our long roads of life, but what of the roads not taken? Twilight and Applejack are carried along a different path, where their fates were bound in new ways.

  • ...
20
 841
 8,925

PreviousChapters Next
39 - Meeting Books, Reading People

Diamond led Spike into the crowd, laughing as haughtily as some of the others around her. She was not on their level, but she was close enough to not immediately be rejected. Ah, there. She saw some noble foals about her age and veered towards them with a calculating smile.

"Oh, look," said one of the colts, sipping from some tea in an ornate cup. "Here comes an out of towner with dreams."

"Don't be rude," laughed a filly. "She may be the most interesting thing here tonight."

"Low bars," jested another colt.

Diamond approached, smile faltering faintly at the response she could hear. "I'm not here to bother anypony, but you look like you know which way is up around here."

The colt flashed a bright smile, with teeth white enough as to have a price tag. "At least you know something. Charmed." He waved a hoof at himself in a slow fan, his tea floating in his magic. "I'm Preamble. This is Vigorous Debate." The filly nodded. "And Bottom Line." The other colt waved once. "And you are... Diamond Tiara, daughter of Filthy Rich."

Bottom Line took a step forward. "Filthy? The hick earth pony that thinks money can buy him some class?"

Vigorous slammed into his side. "Don't be rude. New money is still money. I hear he's made something of a name for himself."

Spike was ready to fight for Filthy's honor, but Diamond put out an arm in his way. "Daddy-kins works very hard for what he has, but I'm not here to chat about him."

All three looked confused a moment. Preamble recovered first. "Oh, yes... New money is like that, working hard for their resources. An admirable trait, one supposes. Still, you." He leaned forward, looking Diamond over critically. "You don't work hard for your resources, do you? You aren't new money."

Vigorous nodded quickly. "Oh, too right. You're more like us. We were born to a purpose beyond the dust of other ponies. Ooo!" Her magic snatched a baked good from a passing tray. "Mmm, apple. What did they put in this? I like it..."

Diamond made an idle note of that. Apple? Could be Applejack. She was getting mixed signals from the noble foals. Her father was new money, which they looked down on. But she was not, which was good? "I've been looking forward to meeting some other ponies who know what it's like."

Bottom inclined his head at Diamond. "Where is it you're from, again? Far away, if I recall."

Vigorous snorted derisively. "Not a good look. Filthy Rich is from Ponyville. An easily forgotten little thorpe that's gained some attention due to..." That was when he noticed Spike standing there. "Hold on... You're Moon Dancer's pet dragon, are you not?"

Spike bristled at that. "Little brother, not pet!"

Diamond stepped in front of him. "And my boyfriend." She suddenly smirked. "So if he's anypony's pet, it'd be me."

Preamble burst into entitled laughter. "Oh! What a razor's edge on you! I love it! Absolutely adore it." He moved in and casually threw a leg over Diamond's withers, drawing her in. "What a fierce lioness, ready to protect what's hers." He growled playfully, perhaps far too amused by the whole thing.

Bottom shook his head and slid in closer to Spike. "I'd keep an eye on her. Preamble has a thing for nasty fillies and he isn't above a petty theft to get what he desires."

Vigorous scowled at the exchange and took a last bite of her fritter, banishing it to her belly. "Whatever... What is that pony doing?" She turned to watch Pinkie attempting to get ponies to party in a way that the rich ponies had no interest in. "Gross..."

Diamond took as step to the side away from Preamble, but the colt came with her. "As if you'd let somepony step on something of yours?"

"I should hope not," Preamble huffed out, bringing his teacup over for a sip. "Want some?" He offered her a taste from the very same cup.

Diamond colored with a frown, understanding the implications. "Back off!" She shoved him away just enough for Spike to get between them.

"Stop bothering her!" Spike added, fists balled up.

Vigorous laughed, turning amused. "Watch out, Preamble. You'll get roasted by a little dragon if you keep chasing her."

Bottom sat next to Vigorous. "Why do we take him to these events? He is such a troublemaker."

"Maybe." Vigorous fanned herself with a floating parasol. "But so amusing..."


"Oh my stars..." Twilight turned slowly in place, her eyes as wide as they could go as she soaked in the splendor of so many books she had never had the chance to see before. "How did she convince you to come to Ponyville when you had this to study?"

Moon smiled as she moved to a shelf of books at eye height and swept her vision across them. "I didn't spend as much time here as you're imagining... I was raising Spike, for one. I was trying to discern the secret of Nightmare Moon's return, for another... Life... It got busy." She sank to her haunches. "And then I was sent away..."

She tensed as arms wrapped around her. She was being hugged by Twilight from behind. She relaxed with a shivering breath. "Th-thank you."

"You're very welcome." Twilight squeezed Moon gently and released her. "Now, I only have an evening, so will you be upset if I get to reading? A lot?"

Moon smiled at that. "Why don't we read together? Like our first date... I enjoyed that very much."

"Tempting... But while that is enjoyable, it is not that fast, comparitively. If we had all the time, I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but we're racing a clock." Her horn glowed as Twilight snatched a book to float towards her. "I will gladly read with you, but not while comparing notes, not right now."

Moon's left ear sagged. "I understand..." She could do that. The request was perfectly logical. "A shame no pony made a spell to read and understand faster."

Twilight willed the book open to the first page, starting the process of reading. "Oh, they have, a few such spells. But then you're not reading. What's the point in that?" To librarian Twilight, the book was half the point. Just absorbing the knowledge was cheating at best, and the only one being cheated was the one that didn't actually sit down and read. "Sit with me. Let's read some books."

"Gladly." Moon hopped up onto a pillow right next to Twilight and soon the only sound audible in that room was that of papers being turned gently.


"And we're done," shouted a stallion over the noise of the kitchen. "Time to wind down and clean up your immediate messes. Clean staff'll be in behind you." He shared thank yous and hoof clops with chefs in the area as he worked through the kitchen, the tension lowering dramatically with his announcement.

Applejack flopped back, heaving for breath. "But ah ain't done..."

"Yes you are." The stallion moved between her and her oven. "Ya did good." He kicked the oven door shut with a final slap. "But you're done. No more orders are going out, so no point in cooking now. Dessert staff is on the case for that, but that's not our job. Snacks are done. We're done. We did it." He set a hoof on her shoulder. "You did it."

"Ah did it..." she breathlessly got out, trying to absorb that statement. "Ah did it... No. We did it." She waved a hoof around. "We all did it, together."

He smiled brightly at that. "That's the spirit. If you want to work alongside us again sometime, won't say no to it. You weren't perfect, but you were learning, and fast. And your attitude was spot on." He leaned in, turning his head so one eye trained on her. "I didn't recognize all the spices you were using. That a secret?"

"'Fraid so." Applejack sat up with pride. "A cook doesn't reveal all their secrets."

"Well, it's a hit out there, so good. If it's a family secret, won't pry too hard... But if it's anything less than that, there are bits in secrets like that, so think about it."

Applejack tensed. "Um..."

"Think about it. No hurry." He swatted at her lightly and went on to debrief other haggard chefs and see the kitchen completed its wind down. "If you weren't already paid, see Pay Roll up front and she'll get you sorted!"

Miss Roll nodded slightly, hair done up in a bun and a clipboard floating in her magic. She looked quite serious about the matter. "Princess Celestia's orders. Not a worker leaves without a bag of bits. She thanks you for all your work, even if she's busy dealing with the party guests right now. On her behalf, I am her kind hoof."

Applejack wiped down her station with a happy sigh. Cleaned enough for the actual cleaning staff to handle, she trotted off towards Miss Roll. "Howdy. Applejack."

"Applejack." Miss Roll leaned in place, peeking at Applejack's cutie mark. "Here we are." She found the same cutie mark on her spreadsheet and made a big checkmark next to it. Her eyes went past Applejack to her station. They sliced another checkmark on the page. "Executive!" she shouted suddenly. A pony looked up at her. "Applejack."

He took off his fancy chef hat. "4, could be 5."

Another check. "Alright. Miss Applejack, we owe you this." Her glowing horn pulled a bag of bits out and floated them over to Applejack. "Along with Princess Celestia's gratitude. You are hereby invited to return." She flipped through the clipboard. "The next event is in two moons. Are you available?"

Applejack recoiled, ears rigid and erect. "Pardon?!"

Miss Roll inclined her head faintly. "Your cooking was deemed acceptable. You are invited to return." She spoke in slow and precise tones, as if she had simply been misheard. "Do you accept?"

Applejack tucked the bits away, shivering through her whole body. "Ah... yes! Yes, um... What's the event?"

"Details will be sent to you." Another checkmark joined the others. "Thank you." Miss Roll looked to the next chef in line. "Name?"

Applejack had been dismissed, just like that... but she had also been invited back... She wandered out the workers entrance alongside the others, feeling... funny. She had done it, but, somehow... "Like there shoulda been more to it..."

Another chef bumped into her. "We work behind the scenes. When we do it right, nopony knows. No big parades for us."

"Huh..." Applejack accelerated around the castle proper. Maybe she could at least catch a little of the party. She came on the front to find a wild eyed Fluttershy just bursting in the front door, laughing wildly. "What the?"


"Thank you, Spike." Diamond stepped forward with a deep scowl. "But this is my problem."

"You heard her," chortled out Preamble. "Go find somewhere else to--" He didn't get to finish, being slugged, hoof to his chest. He staggered back, coughing, and collapsing with a wheeze.

Vigorous winced at the motion. "Brutish... but invigorating."

Diamond turned to the other two upper class foals. "Sorry for disturbing the party."

Bottom shook his head. "Oh, heavens no. Preamble deserved that, and it was quite fun watching him finally get what was waiting far too long. Now, Diamond Tiara, Spike Dragon, a pleasure to meet you both."

"A delight," echoed Vigorous, the both dipping their heads together. "Have you tried the apple fritters? They are to die for."

Spike snatched one of the few left on a tray wandering past. He split it in half without prompting and offered Diamond one of the halves.

She grabbed it from his hand in her mouth and began chewing. "Mmm! Applejack really outdid herself."

Vigorous was blushing vividly. "Oh my! Are you two... a thing? I've never seen somepony eat from somepony else... so intimate... Lewd...." Not that she wasn't staring, all the harder. "Captivating..."

It was at that moment that the front door burst open to reveal chaos itself in the form of a pegasus.

Author's Note:

There was a lot of this chapter that I really felt good about. Did you like it? Tell me!

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own written here at atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next