• Published 3rd Jul 2020
  • 7,271 Views, 248 Comments

Droning On - James Pwyll



After her brother's wedding, Twilight goes back home and discovers an unexpected visitor

  • ...
14
 248
 7,271

Coming Home

To say that Twilight was tired would have been an understatement. But then again, after the ordeal she and her friends had just been through, who could blame her? A reuniting with her brother, the discovery of an evil plot against Equestria, a battle against a previously-unknown army of enemies, not to mention having to plan and set up a massive wedding. It had certainly been a lot, and it wasn't helped by the fact that, as any friend of Pinkie Pie will tell you, that latter mare made sure that parties lasted as long as they could. This party, the celebration of Shining and Cadance's wedding, had lasted all that night and all the next day, and only now, with the sun having just set, did Twilight and her friends finally step off the train back in Ponyville. The looks on their faces said it all, and there was not a single word said between them. They were going to bed, plain and simple. So, after giving one another smiles and nods, they all went their separate ways, with Twilight and Spike heading straight for the Golden Oak Library. Spike, the youngest of that group, still had energy enough to speak. "Well...that was quite the trip, eh?"

A brief giggle from Twilight, who patted him on the head before nodding in agreement. "Kind of an understatement there, Spike." After sharing a laugh together with him, Twilight sighed. "But still...it was worth it. My brother's married." A smirk came to her. "And to the best mare anypony could possibly hope to have in their life, I might add."

Spike shrugged. "Well, if you didn't count Rarity in that list, sure."

Twilight rolled her eyes, silently bemused with herself that she hadn't expected such a comeback from him. Still, in spite of the hardships of the last few days, hardships that caused an understandable level of concern for her even now, she contented herself in the knowledge that it was all behind them now. Canterlot was safe, her family was bigger than before, they'd had a great time at the party, and above all else, they were now home, safe and sound. And speaking of home, that wonderful tree that Twilight and Spike so loved was now in view, prompting a smile on both of their faces. "Ah, home sweet home," Twilight remarked.

Spike gave himself a quick stretch before chuckling. "I don't know about you, but I plan to sleep for a thousand years after all this."

Another giggle from Twilight. "Well, don't forget to wake me up after you do, because I probably won't be far behind you on that one."

It was a pleasant moment between them, but Twilight soon noticed that Spike was slowing down, which eventually led her to look to him. She saw a degree of worry upon his face, and he slowly looked up to her, staring her right in the eye. "Um...Twilight? We did lock the door behind us, right?"

Twilight was confused, until a sense of realisation came to her, prompting her to turn again to her home. Instantly, she saw what her ward was talking about, as their front door, even in this dim light, could be seen as slightly ajar. Gradually, Twilight's tiredness faded, replaced with a look of utter seriousness. "Spike...stay behind me."

He followed her instructions to the letter, staying barely an inch behind her as she slowly made her way forward. Their eyes were locked onto the library as they drew nearer, hoping for maybe some glimpse of activity within, though the darkness through the windows made such a thing difficult. "Do you...think it's a burglar?"

Twilight's eyes narrowed. "If it is, they'll regret breaking into our home." Eventually, they reached the front door, and after slowly raising her hoof, Twilight nudged it, causing it to slowly creak open. Again, there appeared to be no movement inside, no sound of steps or any frantic attempt to leave. This silence prompted Twilight to again move forward, her horn lighting up in readiness. It had only been recently when she'd learned offensive magic during their ordeal before the wedding, but she was definitely willing to use it here if she had to. Reaching to the side, she felt the oil-lamp on the table beside her door, and so twisted the knob, causing it to ignite. Within moments, their home was illuminated, and they saw, to their confusion, that there appeared to be nocreature here. No broken furniture, no sign of anything having been taken. Nothing.

Naturally, this caused some relief on Spike's part. "So...it was just a mistake? Everything's fine?"

For a moment, Twilight said nothing, instead letting her eyes scour the immediate area. Eventually, those eyes settled on a book she'd laid on the side before leaving for Canterlot, and here she frowned again. For she could tell from the dust on the table that the tome had been moved, if only slightly, causing her to again look to the rest of the room. "No...there is somecreature here." She looked over her shoulder, to Spike. "Spike, I need you to go outside again. Find our friends, and bring them here." The young dragon didn't need to be told twice, and so rushed out again as fast as he could. Now Twilight was alone, but she knew she was far from helpless, as her horn's glow intensified. "I know there's somecreature in here. Know that there will be more coming soon. So if you know what's good for you, you'll step forward and reveal yourself!"

For the longest time, there was no response, merely the occasional creak of the old wood of the library. Twilight seemed increasingly unhappy about this, but then, right when she was on the cusp of speaking further, she was cut off by another voice. "You...are Twilight Sparkle, right?"

Twilight's eyes darted all over, but as before she could not see anycreature here. Nor could her ears pick up which direction the voice had come from. With such limited options, she spoke, keeping her tone low as she maintained her readied spell. "Yes, I am."

Another pause, and then the voice spoke again. "Good. I came here for you."

Twilight's hind leg took a slight step back, readying herself to flee if things went south here. "What do you want with me?"

"You and I saw each other recently, though only briefly. We did...not exactly have the best of introductions."

A remark like that caused Twilight further concerns of course. "Are you here to attack me? Or my friends?"

"Quite the opposite. Though I imagine you wouldn't believe that if you saw me."

Again, Twilight's eyes glanced around. "Where are you exactly?"

"I've hidden myself, for my own protection. I will reveal myself to you, but only if you give your word that you will not strike me when you see me."

Twilight was unhappy with such an arrangement. "Pardon me for being rude, but you are an uninvited guest in my home. You claim to be somepony I don't like, and you have the gall to ask me to not take action if I see you? I'm making no such promise!"

"That is...unfortunate. I had hoped this could have been done without conflict."

A dry chuckle on Twilight's part. "Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but you should've thought of that before you decided to go for a bit of breaking and entering."

"Your words are...not incorrect."

Twilight, mustering her courage, took a single defiant step forward. "Here's my offer. You are going to reveal yourself here and now, by the time I count to three. If you fail to do so, or if you fail to explain why you're truly here, I will spread out a spell that will force you out of my home!"

"There really is no need for drastic action like that," the voice said calmly.

Twilight smirked. "Oh, I think there is." Her horn's glow shone brighter now. "One..." No sign of the intruder. "Two..." Still no sign. And so, the resident of the Golden Oak took another breath, ready to give her final number. "Thr..."

"Alright! Alright, I'll...I'll show myself," the voice said reluctantly. Twilight's horn dimmed, but she was not so foolish as to undo her prepared spell fully. Instead, she looked all around her, ready to see just who this mysterious guest of hers was. Then, to her immediate confusion and surprise, she suddenly saw, of all things, a chair start to move. It was a large one covered in pillows that, until now, she hadn't realised she didn't own before she got here. It shook a few times, then, to Twilight's further shock, began to be engulfed in green flames. But that shock was soon replaced with realisation, for Twilight recognised those flames all too well. For she had fought their wielders barely a day ago. Her instincts proved true, for when the flames finally died down, what stood there now was no chair, but a creature she and her people had only recently come to be aware of. It appeared, in general shape, to be a pony, but with a black and insectoid appearance, along with a pair of sharp and menacing fangs. The creature, with its blue and pupil-less eyes, blinked to her, then stepped forward. "Very well, you wish to see me...so here I am."

Barely a second had passed before Twilight reacted. "CHANGELING!!!" She charged forward, horn ablaze, and before the drone before her had any chance to do anything to defend himself, the spell hit. He was sent flying, straight into the wall behind him, and it winded him immediately. But Twilight did not stop her efforts, rushing forward for another blow. The drone however had quickly recovered, and buzzed his wings so as to avoid being hit again. But Twilight wasn't about to let him get away, and so cast another spell. This time, the drone himself was engulfed in her magical aura, fixed in mid-air so as to be unable to escape, despite his obvious efforts to try and break out. "You're not going anywhere!" Twilight angrily declared.

And here, much to Twilight's relief, the door behind her loudly burst open, and the sound of hooves rushing in filled the room, along with a very distinct voice. "Now what in tarnation is goin' on ere?!"

"Hold up, is that a Changeling?!" Rainbow bellowed.

"Oh no! Why is he here?!" Fluttershy asked fearfully.

"Doubtless the ruffian has arrived to enact some terrible revenge scheme on behalf of their Queen!" Rarity speculated.

"Awwww, that's not very nice of them!" Pinkie bouncily added.

Spike stepped forward, his courage bolstered by the sight of the drone being held captive by his carer. "What are you doing here, bug?!"

After another brief bout of struggling, the drone relented, knowing full well now that he wasn't going anywhere. "You are all mistaken. I'm not here under the orders of Chrysalis."

Twilight arched an eyebrow. "Who?" Then the pieces connected in her mind. "Oh, the Queen?"

The drone nodded. "She doesn't know I'm here. And my other kin don't know either. I came by my own choice."

Rainbow snickered. "Oh, I get it You thought you'd come in here, take out Twilight, then go back to your Changeling friends as some big hero, right?" After seeing her friends look to her, she shrugged. "What? It's what I'd do!"

Shaking her head to that, Twilight again focused her attention on their new prisoner. "Even if I were to believe your claims, which is a big 'if' given what you Changelings have just done, what are you here for exactly?"

The drone frowned to her. "I told you already. I came here for you."

Spike stepped forward again, pointing to the Changeling in an aggressive manner. "Why? What do you want with her?"

The drone looked to each and every one of the ponies arrayed against him, before finally settling on the young unicorn who had him in her magical grip. "I came here...to pledge my allegiance."

So quiet was the room now that you could have made out a pin-drop. But before long, Twilight broke that silence, saying the only thing anypony could after hearing something like that. "Wait, what?!"

Author's Note:

Okay, a bit of history with this one. You see, I've been with FiM ever since the show started back in 2010, and like many a fan from those early days, I immediately started writing fanfics about it. I never posted them anywhere, and just kept them on my old PCs files for my own enjoyment. Unfortunately, that PC eventually crashed, taking all the files and data it had with it, and after replacing it I never attempted to recreate some of those earlier stories, even after I joined FimFiction. And it certainly wasn't helped by the fact that a basic story premise like this had already been done by numerous other writers long before I became part of the site.

But eventually I decided "why not", and so here we are with a story that, as you can guess, I wrote way back after the season two finale. Please be aware though that this story will contain a lot of what I held as personal headcanons for the Changelings, so if you eventually see something that contradicts the show's canon, that's why :twilightblush: