• Published 16th May 2020
  • 1,856 Views, 315 Comments

A New Era - Bluecatcinema



Tales from Equestria under Twilight's rule.

  • ...
6
 315
 1,856

A Chilly Reception

On a large island, far south of Southern Equestria, an airship touched down. Soon after, Twilight and her friends emerged from within its confines.

"Well, here we are." Twilight announced, as they took in the surroundings. At pony level, there was a medium amount of trees and vegetation, albeit with many cliffs and ridges peppering the landscape. Numerous mountains were within their line of sight, with the tallest among them capped with snow. Dark clouds hung in the sky like bats, blotting out the sun.

"Not exactly the most stunning vista I've ever seen." Rarity noted, wincing at the craggy landscape.

"Maybe this was a bad idea." Fluttershy suggested, unnerved by the foreboding surroundings.

"Come on, y'all." Applejack said positively. "We've seen worse places in our time."

"Which is why I always have my Party cannon on hoof." Pinkie Pie grinned, pushing along the lively-looking artillery. "To add a burst of color to dreary places like this!"

"Just don't be too triggerhappy with that, darling." Rarity cautioned her party-loving friend. "Our hopefully gracious hosts may get the wrong idea."

"And what if they do?" Rainbow Dash scoffed. "We can handle those clowns! We did it before, and we can do it again!"

"We didn't come here looking for a fight, remember?" Twilight reminded Rainbow. "This is a diplomatic mission. We're here to build bridges, not pick fights."

"I know, I know." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "But if things go south, I'll be ready..."

"Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that." Fluttershy fretted.

"Relax, Sugarcube." Applejack assured her. "If there is any trouble, Twilight can jest teleport us back to the ship, lickety-split."

"As a last resort." Twilight nodded. "But let's not have so little faith in the power of words. We came here to talk, and talk we will."

"Hopefully, our hosts will be willing to listen." Rarity nodded.

The group began to move deeper inland. Before long, their destination was in sight; a large village, the buildings formed from stone and wood. And its inhabitants? The former minions of the Storm King. They had discarded the jet black, magic-repelling (and face-concealing) armor they wore when they had invaded Canterlot, replacing it with tunics, jackets, dresses, and in some cases, chain mail.

"I still can't believe we're actually doing this." Rainbow shook her head. "These guys invaded Canterlot, remember?"

"And they haven't done a thing since then." Twilight countered. "After the Storm King was defeated, they left Equestria without much trouble."

"Some of them even stuck around for the post-saving Equestria party." Pinkie recalled. "And anycreature who likes a good party can't be all bad, right?"

"Can't argue with that logic..." Applejack grinned.

"As ruling Princess of Equestria, it's my duty to forge alliances with our neighbors." Twilight pointed out. "And with the Storm King gone, there's a good chance we can reach an agreement."

"We'll see..." Rainbow said quietly.

As they approached the village, its inhabitants started to take notice of them. Their reactions varied from mild surprise to suspicious glances.

"Under the circumstances, this isn't the worst reception we could have gotten." Rarity said fairly.

"At the very least, they don't look like they're spoilin' fer a fight." Applejack noted.

"Lucky for them." Rainbow boasted.

Once they reached the center of the village, Twilight began to speak.

"Hello." She told the onlookers, who seemed to be keeping their distance. "I, Princess Twilight, and the Council of Friendship have come here to forge connections with your people. Who here is your leader?"

"Who wants to know?"

One of the former Storm Guard approached them. He lacked the sheer bulk of his fellows, though he wasn't quite as lean as the Storm King had been. His attire was slightly more ornate than the others, resembling a waistcoat with silver trim and shoulderpads, leaving his arms bare (with the left bearing a noticeable scar). His face had a slightly weathered look to it, and possessed a set of piercing green eyes.

"Now who's this?" Applejack mused.

"Whoever he is, he certainly has a sense of style." Rarity approvingly noted the waistcoat.

The being stood before them, a dismissive look on his face.

"Ponies." He snorted. "Why have you come to our island?"

"To extend the hoof of friendship to you." Twilight answered. "...I assume you are the leader here?"

"You assume correctly." The leader said bluntly. "I am the new Chieftan of our tribe. You may call me... Eddy."

"Seriously?" Rainbow snorted in amusement.

"Do you find my name amusing, winged pony?" Eddy glared.

"Of course she doesn't!" Rarity said quickly (casting a glare at Rainbow). "Who would ever find such a dignified, commanding name amusing?"

"I like it!" Pinkie nodded.

"After the one calling himself 'The Storm King' led us to near disaster, I took charge of the tribe." Eddy declared. "Somecreature needed to marshall our shattered numbers, to guide us back to some semblence of prosperity, and I answered the call."

"How noble of you." Twilight smiled. "It takes a special kind of creature to take charge like that."

"Spare me your base flattery." Eddy said coldly. "Just get to the point."

"As you wish." Twilight nodded, the air taken out of her sails a little. "I and my friends have come here today in hopes of forging an alliance between Equestria and the Storm Guard-"

"'Storm Guard'?" Eddy sneered. "That was a name given to us by that callow pretender, as part of his efforts at building a 'brand'." He grimaced at the very thought. "It is a name we no longer answer to. Henceforth, you will refer to us by our true title. We are the Blizzaru."

"Blizzaru." Twilight nodded. "Duly noted, Chieftan."

"Good." Eddy said flatly. "Now, why should the Blizzaru agree to this alliance with your land?"

"As the Princess of Friendship, it is my responsibility to help bring all creatures together." Twilight announced. "To reach out and build new bonds between Equestria and its neighbors-"

"Even those who once invaded your land?" Eddy raised an amused eyebrow.

"What you did, you did under the Storm King's command." Twilight replied. "With him gone, I'd say we let bygones be bygones."

Eddy glanced at Twilight's companions, who seemed to share her sentiments (although the rainbow-maned one seemed the least happy about it).

"I see." He mused. "And what would my tribe gain from this alliance with Equestria?"

"You would have friends to call upon when you need them." Twilight told him. "Friends willing to share what they have with you, to help you to grow, to stand by you when times are tough, to introduce you to other nations you may find you share common ground with. And above all, friends who will treat you as equals, no matter what."

The assembled Blizzaru shared glances as Twilight's words hung in the air. Some were incredulous, some dismissive, while others actually seemed intrigued by the prospect. Unfortunately, their leader did not fall into the last category...

"Forgive my bluntness, but I am not impressed by your offer." Eddy narrowed his eyes. "I have heard grandiose promises like yours before. The charlatan who once lead us made many lofty pledges, yet he failed to deliver on them."

"Believe me, I am nothing like the Storm King." Twilight tried to assured him. "When I make a promise, I intend to keep it."

"Pretty words." Eddy shook his head. "But words mean nothing to me."

"Then perhaps we could-" Twilight began.

"I'm sorry, but you have wasted your time in coming here, your highness." Eddy interrupted her. "While we no longer seek to invade your country, we see no value in associating with it, either."

"But your chiefness-" Twilight started.

"My answer is 'no'." Eddy said firmly. "Now, I must ask you to leave our village. Do not force us to make you leave."

"I'd like to see you tr-mmph!" Rainbow's retort was muffled by Applejack's hoof.

"...Very well." Twilight sighed. "If that is your choice, then we will accept it. Come along, everypony."

"Try not to take your time." Eddy said coldly.

The Council of Friendship left the village, dejected. Unbeknownst to them, one of the Blizzaru watched them depart, an odd expression on his face.

"That could have gone better." Rarity pouted, as they started on their path back to the airship.

"I knew this was gonna be a waste of time." Rainbow scoffed.

"We ain't jest gonna give up, are we?" Applejack asked Twilight.

"Of course not." Twilight confirmed. "We just have to regroup and decide on a new approach."

"Ooh, maybe we could throw 'em a 'Being friends is gonna be the best' surprise party?" Pinkie suggested. "I'll put my party cannon through its paces, we could bring in some good ol' Equestrian cupcakes... And Rainbow could show off her Sonic Rainboom!"

"Yeah, right." Rainbow shook her head.

"That might not be the best idea." Twilight frowned. "The Rainboom part, I mean. With all these snowy mountains around, it could cause an entire array of avalanches."

"The Blizzaru definitely wouldn't want to be friends if we accidentally buried them in snow." Fluttershy noted.

"Soooo... No party, then?" Pinkie pouted.

"I'm afraid not, darling." Rarity consoled her.

"If only we knew more about these folks." Applejack sighed. "We could know what they like, and what they need. It would make things a heckuva lot easier."

"Perhaps I can help with that." An unfamiliar voice spoke up.

The Council turned, and saw the Blizzaru who had been watching them leave standing behind them. He was wearing a green vest, and bronze armbands.

"What is this, some kinda 'escort' off the island?" Rainbow glared. "Tell your chief thanks, but we're going already."

"That's not what I'm here for." The Blizzaru said awkwardly.

"Are you selling souvenirs?" Pinkie asked.

"...No." The Blizzaru answered, slightly put out by Pinkie's question. "I'm here because I believe it truly is in the Blizzaru's best interest to forge an alliance with your nation."

"Even if Eddy doesn't think so?" Applejack noted.

"He is a capable leader." The Blizzaru admitted. "But in this instance, I believe he is mistaken. And I am going to help you change his mind."

"Why, thank you." Fluttershy smiled. "That's so nice."

"It's the least I can do, after what you did for me." The Blizzaru smiled.

"Me?" Fluttershy asked, confused.

"You know him?" Rainbow asked Fluttershy.

"I, er, I'm not sure..." Fluttershy looked at their surprise supporter. It was his eyes which gave it away. "...Oh, that's right! You're the one I had a talk with, back during the battle for Canterlot!"

"That's me." The Blizzaru smiled. "You really helped me work through a lot of my personal issues."

"It was my pleasure." Fluttershy said humbly. "You looked like you needed a friendly ear to listen to your worries."

"We were never properly introduced, though." The Blizzaru noted. "My name is Thaw."

"Good to know you, Thaw." Fluttershy beamed. "And I'm sure everypony else feels the same way. Right, guys?"

"Sure!" Pinkie suddenly popped up behind Thaw, placing a party hat on his head.

"How did she-?" Thaw frowned.

"That's just Pinkie." Fluttershy stifled a giggle.

"Well, it's good to see at least one of ya is open to being friends with ponies." Applejack declared.

"Unlike that chief of yours." Rainbow scowled.

"Don't judge Eddy too harshly." Thaw requested. "As the new leader of our clan, he has many responsibilities, most of which revolve around cleaning up the mess that pretender left behind."

"What mess is that?" Rarity asked.

"The Storm King had us put the majority of our resources toward his goals of conquest." Thaw declared. "Anything and everything that could be used for his grandiose invasion were used. He had us build foundries for the forging of the armor we wore, factories for his airships, worked us to the bone... and now, we have nothing to show for our efforts."

"How did he ever get to be in charge in the first place?" Twilight frowned.

"He was... extremely charismatic." Thaw sighed ruefully. "He convinced us that his way would provide us with glory, and riches beyond measure. He told us all the effort we put towards creating our weapons of war would be repaid tenfold once every land in the world belonged to him. So you can understand why your promises of sharing what you have did not appeal to Eddy, your highness. He doesn't want us to once again stake everything we have on the word of another. He wants us to be able to stand proudly on our own."

"I see." Twilight acknowledged. "Believe me, I know how much it hurts to trust in somecreature else, and have that trust broken. But that doesn't mean you should never trust another again."

"Alas, Eddy doesn't see it that way." Thaw sighed. "But I think I know of a way you can prove your worth to him."

"Whattaya have in mind, sugarcube?" Applejack prompted.

"Follow me." Thaw pointed to one of the mountains.

"You heard him, everypony." Twilight smiled, as the group followed Thaw's lead. "We're getting our second chance right here and now."

"Think this guy knows what he's talking about?" Rainbow asked skeptically.

"It wouldn't hurt to find out." Rarity shrugged demurely.

"If he says he knows a way to convince Eddy, I believe him." Fluttershy declared.

"So do I." Twilight agreed.

Some time later, they reached the base of one of the mountains.

"Mind telling us why you brought us here?" Rainbow asked Thaw. "Because it doesn't look like there's anything that can get your boss to change his mind."

"I'm afraid I have to agree with Rainbow." Rarity admitted. "There doesn't appear to be anything around here except snow, and I believe you have enough of that already."

"Ah, but what I brought you here to see isn't around here." Thaw said cryptically. "It's up there."

Thaw pointed upwards. The ponies glanced in the same direction, and saw what he was indicating; Quite a ways up the mountain, a tree was growing out of a crack in the snowy side. It was covered in lush foliage in spite of its environment, with a rough, thorny trunk, and bore a crop of glistening purple fruit.

"Fruit?" Rainbow gaped. "You brought us all the way over here... for fruit?"

"Not just any fruit." Thaw smiled. "These are Permafrost Plums. My clan considers them quite the delicacy."

"You don't say..." Pinkie mused. "Are they good as a pie filling?"

"And so much more." Thaw nodded. "If you bring these to Eddy, he may be convinced that ponies can help our tribe."

"Not tah look a gift horse in the mouth, but... why d'ya need us tah get 'em?" Applejack asked. "Can't ya jest grab some yerself?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple." Thaw replied. "We Blizzaru are capable climbers, but the tree of the Permafrost Plum is covered with thorns. And even once I am up there, I could barely pick a handful of them. I would have to make many trips up and down the mountain. But you ponies have access to abilities no Blizzaru does. Three of you have wings, and two have magic, allowing you to pick the plums with only a thought. You could pick the entire crop in moments, then bring them back to the village, as a gesture of goodwill."

"It's worth a try, at least." Twilight nodded. "Alright, everypony, let's get to work. Fluttershy, with me. Rainbow, give Rarity a lift. Applejack and Pinkie, we'll be passing the plums to you and Thaw, so get ready to catch them."

"Ready." Applejack nodded.

"I love 'catch'!" Pinkie grinned, producing a catcher's mitt from out of nowhere.

"Okay, let's do this." Rainbow nodded, picking up Rarity by the midsection.

"Mind the cold hooves, darling." Rarity shivered.

"Just hang on." Rainbow rolled her eyes.

The flyers (and one passenger) flew up to the tree. Twilight and Rarity used their magic to remove the Permafrost Plums from the branches, while Fluttershy used the more simplistic method of hoof-picking them. After picking a decent amount, they flew back to ground level and passed the fruits to the others, before returning for more. A few trips later, and there was an impressive pile of fruit on the ground.

"Wonderful." Thaw smiled. "We Blizzaru are fortunate to chance upon one or two fallen Permafrost Plums every so often, and can only hope they are not too bruised from the fall. But this is a veritable feast! My tribe will eat well tonight!"

"Let's just hope Eddy appreciates it." Twilight declared.

"Who could not appreciate such a charitable gift?" Rarity asked.

"Thank you for this, Thaw." Fluttershy smiled.

"As I said before, it's the least I can do." Thaw smiled back. "I know firsthand how much help a single pony can provide. And if all goes well, Eddy will realise that your entire nation can be valuable allies."

"First, we gotta get all this back to the village." Applejack pointed out. "Wish Ah'd brought mah delivery cart..."

"I think I can help with that." Thaw declared. He walked over to a nearby tree, grabbed the trunk with both hands, and tore off a large piece of bark, large enough to carry their bounty. "Since you went to all the effort of picking the plums, it's only fair that I carry them back."

The Permafrost Plums were piled onto the flat interior of the bark, and Thaw lifted it up.

"Ya sure ya wanna do this part yerself?" Applejack asked. "We'd be happy tah help."

"You've already done so much." Thaw said fairly. "It's only right that I do my fair share as well."

"You really think this'll work?" Rainbow asked Twilight.

"I suppose we'll find out soon enough." Twilight replied.

Soon after, the group returned to the village. The Blizzaru were naturally surprised to see them back so soon, and even more so to see Thaw with them.

"They're back?"

"Can't they take a hint?"

Why is Thaw with them?"

"Are those Permafrost Plums?"

Eddy reacted to their reaction with an expression of pure annoyance.

"What is this?" He growled, as Twilight and the others approached him. "What part of 'leave' don't you understand?"

"We just thought we'd bring you a parting gift." Twilight smiled. "We understand these Permafrost Plums are considered a delicacy among your people. So we thought-"

"That you could bribe your way into our good graces." Eddy scoffed. "Did you really believe we would fall for such a base attempt at manipulation?"

"Sir, it wasn't their idea." Thaw spoke up. "It was mine."

"And what are you doing with them, Thaw?" He glared at his compatriot. "Going behind your chief's back, are you?"

"It-it's not like that, sir." Thaw said nervously. "I... I really do think there is something to be said for an alliance with the ponies."

"Are you the chief, Thaw?" Eddy glared. "Well, are you?"

"...No..." Thaw said meekly.

"No, you are not." Eddy nodded. "I am the chief. I decide what is best for our people. And I decided that we are better off on our own. There will be consequences for this."

"Chief Eddy, Thaw was only trying to help all of us." Twilight started. "You shouldn't punish him for trying to do the right thing."

"So now you're telling me how to lead?" Eddy growled.

"Of course not." Twilight said hastily. "I was just trying to-"

"I think I've heard enough from you, Princess." Eddy snarled. "You and your group will leave our island right now, and never return."

"But-!" Twilight protested.

"Did I stutter?" Eddie spat, his patience at its limit. "I said, BEGOOOONE!!"

Eddy's roar echoed throughout the area, surprising and unnerving all who heard it. But seconds later, an even more foreboding noise followed in its wake. All eyes looked upward, in the direction the new sound was coming from. To their collective horror, they saw snow and ice tumbling down every mountain in the vicinity.

"Avalanches!" Thaw yelped.

"No..." Eddy whispered, well aware that his outburst had set this in motion.

The Blizzaru citizens flew into a panic.

"Run!" One yelled.

"Where?" Another asked. "It's coming at us from all sides!"

"We can't outrun all that snow!" A third quaked. "What are we going to do?"

Twilight answered that question.

"Rarity, with me!" She instructed. "Everypony else, do what you can!"

"You got it!" Rainbow nodded, as she and Fluttershy took to the sky.

Twilight teleported herself and Rarity to the spot where most of the falling snow would intersect. Combining their magic, they formed a gigantic, arrow-shaped barrier. The mass of snow pushed against the construct. Twilight and Rarity grit their teeth as they willed the barrier to hold. Thankfully, the construct stood firm, and the mass of snow began to be diverted around the village.

But that wasn't the only mass of snow moving toward the village. More fell in other directions, threatening others.

"Heads up, folks!" Rainbow flew in fast, and carried an elderly female out of the way.

At the same time, Fluttershy carried some Blizzaru kids to safety.

"I've got you, little ones." She said comfortingly.

As a large drift careened toward a group of Blizzaru, Pinkie leapt in front of them, Party Cannon at the ready.

"Cool party, folks!" She smiled. "A little too cool, actually. But I can fix that..."

As the drift almost reached her, she fired the current. Preposterously, the force of the confetti being launched out of the cannon was enough deflect the snow.

"Party Cannon." Pinkie blew away a stream of smoke wafting out of the barrel. "Never leave Equestria without it."

"Get clear, everyone!" Eddy instructed. "Get-!"

Before he could continue, a chunk of ice crashed down in front of him, followed by another at the side, backing him up against the side of one house. To his horror, he saw another, much larger chunk right above him. His only option was duck and cover. He dropped down to the ground, bracing himself for the inevitable impact.

...But it didn't come.

"What?" Eddy looked up, and saw that Applejack had saved him from being crushed by catching the chunk of ice with her back hooves.

"Gettin' yer pardon, yer chiefness." Applejack said casually. "Ah know ya ain't big on gettin' help from outsiders, but An couldn't just stand by an' let us get squished."

With that said, Applejack kicked the chunk of ice over the horizon.

"Unbelievable..." Eddy gaped.

By that time, the avalanches had all but petered out. Ponies and Blizzaru alike gathered in the center of the village.

"Is everycreature okay?" Twilight asked.

"Thanks to you all, yes." Thaw nodded.

"You saved my people." Eddy said, almost as if he couldn't believe it. "Even after I rejected you, twice."

"Of course we did." Fluttershy smiled.

"Because that's what friends do." Twilight beamed.

"Perhaps I was... Slightly hasty in rejecting your offer." Eddy admitted grudgingly. "Maybe what you said regarding the importance of having friends to help in hard times has some merit to it after all."

"Does this mean you'd be willing to reconsider our offer?" Twilight asked, trying not to sound too pleased.

"It means I am willing to discuss the terms of a possible alliance between our two nations." Eddy clarified. "Perhaps over a feast of Permafrost Plums?"

"That sounds... Acceptable." Twilight smiled. "Right, everypony?"

"Darn tootin'." Applejack nodded.

"Of course, darling." Rarity smiled.

"Eh, I'm in no rush." Rainbow shrugged.

"It would be an honor." Fluttershy said.

"You had me at a 'feast'!" Pinkie grinned. "I can't wait to see what those Permafrost Plums taste like!"

"Then it is decided." Eddy declared. "Thaw?"

"...Er, yes, sir?" Thaw stood to attention.

"I misjudged you as well." Eddy admitted. "You saw what I could not, what I was too stubborn to even consider. I would appreciate it if you were part of our negotiations. I could use your sage counsel."

"As you wish, sir." Thaw nodded enthusiastically. "I won't let you down!"

"I know you won't." Eddy smiled. "Now, let's get those Plums to the old mess hall. We're going to need the room to prepare the feast."

As the Blizzaru moved to follow their leaders' instructions, the Mane Six shared smiles over their reversal of fortune.

"Guess we got our second chance after all." Applejack grinned.

"And all we had to do was stop an avalanche." Rainbow joked. "Piece a' cake, right?"

"Mmm, Permafrost Plum cake..." Pinkie drooled.

"And now we've gone from being unwanted interlopers to honoured guests." Rarity noted. "Funny how life works, isn't it?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Fluttershy smiled.

"Now that the chief's open to talks, we might just leave this island with a new set of friend and allies." Twilight declared. "Another link in Equestria's chain of friendship. We just had to prove how pure our intentions are." She smiled at her friends. "Come on, everypony, we've got a feast to attend."

The six of them followed their hosts deeper into the village. An important first step had been made. Now they had to take the next one...

Meanwhile...

Back in Canterlot, night had fallen over the city. The streets were mostly empty, save for the Night Guard on patrol. But the nocturnal troops had unknowingly failed to prevent the cloaked figure from making his way into the heart of the city.

The mysterious individual was currently in the statue garden outside the castle, glancing at the petrified forms of Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow.

"So, you are the ones who almost brought this land to ruin?" The figure mused. "I'm not impressed. Between the three of you, you wielded power almost beyond imagining, and yet you still failed." The figure scoffed. "And now look at you, sealed in stone for all eternity. And from what I understand, you're not even the first to suffer such a fate. Why do these ponies have such a predilection for petrifying their enemies?" The figure's eyes narrowed. "Perhaps they simply lack the spine to dispose of them in a more... Final manner." A low chuckle emitted from under the hood. "Not a mistake I will be making..."

The mysterious being departed from the garden, but their night in Canterlot was far from over...