• Published 16th May 2020
  • 1,856 Views, 315 Comments

A New Era - Bluecatcinema



Tales from Equestria under Twilight's rule.

  • ...
6
 315
 1,856

What's In A Name?

It was another morning in Canterlot. Twilight and Spike had just finished with Twilight's latest royal duty: cutting the ribbon on a new youth center, one that was open to all creatures.

"That went great, don't you think?" Twilight asked Spike as they departed from the function.

"Yep." Spike nodded jokingly. "Who doesn't love seeing somepony using a giant pair of scissors?"

"And we only have another half a dozen duties to attend to." Twilight took a glance at the royal to-do list. "Quite a lean day, all things considered."

"As long as there's time enough for lunch, you won't hear me complaining." Spike grinned. "Speaking of, it's almost noon. Shall we?"

"Why not?" Twilight smiled. "I think we've earned an early lunch. And The Tasty Treat is just around the corner."

"Great." Spike grinned. "I could go for some nice, spicy samosas."

"Me too." Twilight agreed. "Another great suggestion, Royal Advisor."

"It's what I'm here for." Spike chuckled.

After a filling meal, Twilight and Spike made their way back onto the main streets of Canterlot.

"Now those were spicy." Spike patted his belly. "Almost feel like I actually have to breathe fire to cool my mouth off..."

"I'm not surprised, the way you were shovelling in your food." Twilight threw him a teasing glance. Before she could return her gaze forward, she found herself bumping into somepony else. "Oof!"

"Oh, sorry, Princess." A vaguely familiar voice declared. "Didn't see you there."

"My fault entirely." Twilight said as she steadied herself. Only after regaining her bearings did she glance at who she had bumped into. It was a Royal Guard. He adjusted his helmet (which had been knocked askew by the collision) to reveal a familiar face: that of Flash Sentry. "I, uh... Hi." She stuttered in a very unregal manner.

"Oh, hello again, your highness." Flash smiled. "It's... Been a while, hasn't it?"

"It has, yes." Twilight said awkwardly, a light blush coloring her cheeks. "A long while..." She added redundantly.

"Long enough for you to get a promotion." Flash noted. "I saw your coronation,by the by. It was... Eventful."

"That's one way of putting it." Spike snarked.

"And I see you got a transfer from the Crystal Empire to Canterlot." Twilight noted. "So we've both moved up in the world."

"And yet, we're still meeting the same way we always do." Flash joked. "Guess some things don't change, right, your majesty?"

"Right." Twilight laughed (a tad giddily).

Spike rolled his eyes.

"Well, I shouldn't keep you." Flash said courteously. "I'm sure you're in the middle of some important royal business."

"Actually, we were just coming back from lunch." Twilight admitted.

"Then by all means, allow me to escort you back to the palace, your highness." Flash offered.

"Oh, there's no need for that." Twilight declined. "We've got a fair bit of time until our next royal appointment, so there's no rush."

"It's my duty as a Royal Guard, your highness." Flash pointed out. "And if there's one thing this pony values, it's his duty."

"Oh, well... far be it for me to keep a pony from carrying out his duty." Twilight blushed again at this display of chivalry. "You may accompany us, Mr. Sentry."

"As you wish, your highness." Flash bowed respectfully.

With their new escort, Twilight and Spike continued along the streets of Canterlot. As they walked, Spike gave Twilight a funny look.

"...What?" Twilight frowned.

"Oh, nothing." Spike smirked. "...Except for the fact you let the pony version of the guy in the human world you had a crush on walk you back to the castle..."

"So?" Twilight looked away awkwardly. "He's a Royal Guard. It's his duty to serve! Who am I to deny him that?"

"Right..." Spike grinned even wider. "That's totally the reason. And not because you've still got a little crush."

"It is." Twilight insisted. "Besides, as ruler of Equestria, I don't have time for that kind of thing... Even if it was on my mind (which it isn't)."

"Keep telling yourself that." Spike snickered.

"Knock it off, Spike." Twilight pouted.

"Not a chance." Spike teased.

As they neared the castle, they saw a group of Royal Guard recruits marching down the streets. They were following the lead of Flash Magnus, who had not so long ago become the new drill instructor.

"Trot, two, three, four..." Flash Magnus ordered the recruits. "Keep it up, two, three, four..."

"It's him." Flash Sentry gaped in awe. "Flash Magnus, one of the Pillars of Old Equestria."

"Got it in one." Spike nodded.

"I knew he was working here in Canterlot, but I never really got the chance to run into him before now." Flash Sentry admitted.

Flash Magnus took notice of Twilight's presence.

"Okay, troops, you've earned a break." He told the recruits. "Take a moment to catch your breath."

The recruits eagerly followed the courageous Pillar's command, sitting down (or collapsing) so they could regain their strength.

"Good afternoon, your highness." Flash Magnus greeted Twilight.

"Flash Magnus." Twilight nodded. "Putting the recruits through their paces, I see."

"Naturally." Flash Magnus nodded. "Equestria may be at peace for now, but you never know when trouble will show. So the next generation of Royal Guards need to be in tip-top shape when that trouble arrives."

"Then I shouldn't keep you from getting the recruits into shape." Twilight noted. "As you were, Instructor Magnus."

"Thank you, your highness." Flash Magnus nodded. He returned his focus to the recruits. "Okay, troops, back to the castle grounds! It's almost time for weapons training. Let's see how well you've been practicing!"

The recruits obediently stood up, and returned to formation, marching their way back to the castle.

"Trot, two, three, four..." Flash Magnus repeated.

As Flash Magnus passed by, Flash Sentry held up a hoof, as if he wanted to say something. But no words emerged from his mouth, and Flash Magnus and his recruits passed him by.

"Smooth, Sentry." He scolded himself. "Real smooth..."

"Is something wrong?" Twilight asked, taking note of the dour expression on his face.

"Yeah, you look like you just got your wings in a knot." Spike added.

"Oh, it's nothing, your highness." Flash Sentry cringed, embarassed. "I just missed my chance to introduce myself to the Flash Magnus, the pony I've looked up to since I was a foal, that's all..."

"A fan boy, huh?" Spike smirked.

"I guess you could say that." Flash Sentry sighed.

"I know how you feel." Twilight declared. "To have a pony you've idolized all your life standing right in front of you... It can be quite overwhelming."

"She means Star Swirl the Bearded." Spike added. "You wouldn't believe how much effort she put into meeting him."

Twilight gave Spike a sour look.

"That's comforting to hear, Princess. But with all due respect, my situation's not quite the same as yours was." Flash Sentry admitted. "I'm a big fan of Flash Magnus, sure, but... There's more to it than that."

"How do you mean?" Twilight asked, her curiosity piqued.

"Well, the thing is..." Flash said awkwardly. "I'm actually kinda... related to him."

"You are?" Twilight's eyes widened with surprise.

"You sure about that?" Spike asked skeptically.

"Absolutely." Flash Sentry nodded. "My great-great-great-times-twenty-or-so-grandmother was his younger sister."

"Well, that's... Surprising." Twilight mused. "But not totally unexpected. I met a descendant of Mage Meadowbrook once. His name was Cattail. He didn't exactly make the best first impression, but he was a nice pony."

"Flash Magnus has always been a big-time hero in our family." Flash Sentry noted. "So much so that more than a few colts were named after him over the years. Like me, obviously."

"So why not go over and introduce yourself?" Spike suggested. "They usually hold weapons practice in the castle grounds., So he won't be hard to find."

"I'm sure he'd thrilled to meet you." Twilight added.

"I'm not sure if I can." Flash Sentry sighed. "You saw how I clammed up back there. Who's to say it wouldn't happen again?"

Twilight took a moment to access the situation. Then she hit upon an idea.

"Then I'll introduce you." She declared.

"You will?" Flash Sentry asked.

"Why not?" Twilight nodded. "Flash Magnus and I are friends, and friends are always introducing each other to new acquaintances."

"I couldn't ask you to do that, your highness." Flash Sentry said humbly.

"You don't have to." Twilight replied. "A Princess helps her subjects. You did your duty, and now I'm carrying out mine."

"Oh, well... If you insist." Flash Sentry smiled awkwardly. "Guess you're the one escorting me now, your highness."

"Guess so." Twilight grinned widely.

"So much for a lean day..." Spike sighed.

The trio made their way to the castle gates, and onto the courtyard. As Spike had predicted, the recruits were practicing their spear-based combat maneuvers, with Flash Magnus circling them, taking note of each recruit's technique and speed.

"Not bad, recruit Sliver." He commentated. "Recruit Edge, you need to work a little on your swing..."

"Yes, sir." The recruit named Edge ammended his technique.

"Better." Flash Magnus nodded encouragingly. He noticed Twilight and the others approaching. "Keep it up, recruits. I'll be right back."

Flash Magnus went to meet his visitors halfway, so as not to disrupt the recruits' concentration.

"I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon, Princess." He noted. A frown briefly formed. "Is there something wrong?"

"Oh, no." Twilight assured him. "I just thought I'd introduce you to somepony."

Flash Sentry stood nervously, afraid to step forward. Spike took the decision out of his hooves by pushing him into Flash Magnus' line of sight.

"This is Flash Sentry." Twilight introduced.

"A Royal Guard, I see." Flash Magnus mused. "Always nice to meet a brother in armor. And we have the same name, too. How about that?"

"It's... Good to meet you too, sir." Flash Sentry said awkwardly. "I've been an admirer of your legend all my life. I've heard all the stories about you. Like how you used your shield Netitus to fend off two angry dragons."

"That was a great day." Flash Magnus smiled nostalgically. "While it's nice to reminisce on old glories, I do have a job to do, so if that's all, I should be-"

"It's... It's not." Flash Sentry said nervously. "See, the reason I know all your stories is because they were passed down my family for thousands of Moons. ...Passed down through your family."

"...Excuse me?" Flash Magnus froze.

"It's true." Flash Sentry confirmed. "My distant ancestor was your sister, Flight Path."

"Flight Path had a family?" Flash Magnus mused. "That must have been some time after myself and the other Pillars went into limbo. She was still a teenager the last time I saw her, not long before we sacrificed ourselves. I felt guilty about leaving her behind, but we didn't think there was any other way..."

"She always knew you were a hero, sir." Flash Sentry smiled. "She kept your story alive by passing it down to her children, and they passed it on to their children. And they kept your name alive by passing it on to lots of their children, including me. They all had nothing but the deepest respect for you."

"That's... That's good to hear..." Flash Magnus said awkwardly, a somber look in his eyes.

"Are you okay, Magnus?" Twilight asked.

"I'm fine, your highness." Flash Magnus replied. "It's just... I never really considered that I would have any kind of family in this time, let alone one that held me in such regard. I just focused on doing what I've always done: helping in the protection of Equestria. It never even crossed my mind to try and seek out family... What does that say about me?"

Twilight, Spike and Flash Sentry all looked uncomfortable.

"I... I'm sorry." Flash Sentry said awkwardly. "I didn't mean to-"

"I really should get back to work." Flash Magnus cut him off, a morose look on his face "Those guards aren't going to train themselves. And I need to be there for someponies in my life, at least..."

Flash Magnus returned to the recruits.

"Okay, recruits, let's move on." He said flatly.

The recruits departed from the area. Flash Magnus brought up the rear, leaving a meloncholy air behind him.

"...I just totally blew it, didn't I?" Flash Sentry cringed, mortified.

"I wouldn't say that exactly." Twilight tried to console him.

"I would." Spike said bluntly, earning a glare from Twilight.

"I should have just left well enough alone." Flash Sentry took off his helmet. "But I didn't, and now my hero, the pony I grew up admiring, hates himself. All because of me."

"I'll admit things look bad." Twilight acknowledged. "But if there's one this pony knows, it's to never give up. You can fix this, Flash. You just have to keep trying."

Flash Sentry hesitated for a moment, as Twilight's words sunk in.

"Okay." He redonned his helmet. "Try #2, coming up." He had a look of determination on his face... Replaced by a look of uncertainty. "...So, where can I find Flash Magnus now?"

"He said he was going to keep training the Guards." Spike pointed out. "So call me crazy, but I think we can find him by the barracks."

"'We'?" Flash Sentry frowned.

"We're coming with you." Twilight declared. "For emotional support."

"And because it would be a shame to not see how all this turns out." Spike added.

"Fair enough." Flash smiled.

They made their way to the barracks. The recruits were practicing hoof-to-hoof combat in pairs while Flash Magnus observed. Some were having more trouble than others, but their instructor barely noticed; Flash Magnus was far less invested in his recruits' progress than he had been moments ago. In fact, he looked like he had something else entirely on his mind. And to a certain approaching trio, that something was quite clear.

Flash Sentry once again hesitated to step forward. Twilight gave him an encouraging nod, while Spike held out his claws in Flash Magnus' direction. With a gulp, the Pegasus Guard approached his ancestor.

"Excuse me, sir?" Flash Sentry spoke up.

Flash Magnus turned to see his newfound distant relative.

"Oh, hello again." He said flatly.

"Look, I'm sorry if I want I said before upset you..." Flash Sentry began, taking off his helmet as a show of regret.

"I know you only meant to compliment me." Flash Magnus admitted. "But all that talk about a family I never knew, and never bothered to seek out... It makes me think that maybe my dedication to the military wasn't as good a trait as I thought it was."

"Of course it is." Flash Sentry declared. "Like I said, I've heard all the stories about your adventures. Your dedication, your courage, your loyalty to your comrades... It was those stories that inspired me to become a Royal Guard."

"Well, that is something, I suppose..." Flash Magnus mused.

"And it wasn't just me." Flash Sentry continued. "So many others in the family have followed your example. Like Flash Prance, who helped defend Baltimare from rogue dragons. Or General Flash, who actually lead the Wonderbolts."

"Wow." Flash Magnus remarked. "That is impressive."

"And that was from following your example." Flash Sentry smiled. "Even if you never met us until today, you still helped our family achieve great things."

"I suppose I have." Flash Magnus mused. "But that doesn't change the fact that never thought to seek you out. I abandoned you, just like I abandoned my sister. What must she have thought of me?"

"She thought you were a hero." Flash Sentry told him. "She knew there was only reason you have suddenly vanished from her life; because you had given your all to protect Equestria."

"Do you really think she believed that?" Flash Magnus asked regretfully.

"I don't think, I know." Flash Sentry said resolutely. "She kept your memory alive by telling your story to everypony she met. She named her first son, Flash Flight, after you. And she told all her foals and grandfoals about your adventures, so they would be inspired to be the best they could be, and so they could pass on those stories to their own foals, inspiring future generations to achieve greatness." He placed a hoof on his ancestor's shoulder. "None of that would have been possible without the legacy you left behind."

"Thank you for telling me that." Flash Magnus smiled. "It makes me feel a little better about myself." His smile lowered slightly. "I'm just sorry I couldn't have known you all..."

"Well, you can know those of those in the present." Flash Sentry offered. "One of my cousins is having a college graduation party next weekend. If you like, you could come with me and meet some of the family.'

"I think I have an opening next weekend." Flash Magnus grinned. "Consider me there."

"Great." Flash Sentry grinned back.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to whipping these recruits into shape." Flash Magnus declared.

"Of course." Flash Sentry nodded. "The more ponies you inspire to greatness, the better."

Flash Magnus gave his descendant one last smile, then returned his attention to the recruits.

"Okay, that's not bad, but it could be better!" He announced. "Let me show you a few tricks..."

Flash Sentry beamed proudly as his familial hero did what he did best. Twilight and Spike, who had observed the entire discussion.

"Nice speech." Spike declared. "And I've heard some doozies in my time."

"Looks like all's well that ends well." Twilight said brightly.

"Thanks for the help, your highness." Flash Sentry smiled. "I know you must have had a million more important things to do today than observe my little family drama..."

"Not at all." Twilight declared. "There's nothing more important to me than helping to bring ponies closer together."

"I still appreciate it." Flash Sentry told her. "And here I thought the Royal Guard were meant to assist the Princess, not the other way around."

The two ponies chuckled, Twilight a little more loudly than she'd meant to. Spike just rolled his eyes at the whole thing.

"Anyway, I should be getting back to work." Flash Sentry noted. "Thanks again, Princess."

"You can call me 'Twilight'." Twilight urged.

"If you say so, Princess Twilight." Flash Sentry nodded.

"... It's a start." Twilight shook her head amusedly.

"Guess I'll see you on my rounds sometime." Flash Sentry smiled. "Hopefully sooner, rather than later..."

"I hope so, too." Twilight blushed lightly. "You're a good pony, Flash Sentry. You do your family proud."

"Awww..." Flash Sentry blushed back. "Thanks, Pri- I mean, Twilight." He awkwardly rubbed his mane. "Well, gotta back to work. I have a duty to live up to, after all..."

Flash Sentry put his helmet back on, gave Twilight a quick salute, then departed. Twilight smiled contently after him.

"...So, when's the wedding?" Spike teased, snapping her out of her reverie.

"Zip it, Spike." Twilight scowled. "We have to get back to work too, Mr. Royal Advisor."

"Of course we do." Spike rolled his eyes once more. "Lead the way, your highness..."

Twilight and Spike made their way back to the castle. Though they hadn't attended to much in the way of vital royal duties, Twilight still believed it had been a very productive day. For any day where she helped ponies grow closer was a good day in her book.