• Published 16th May 2020
  • 1,856 Views, 315 Comments

A New Era - Bluecatcinema



Tales from Equestria under Twilight's rule.

  • ...
6
 315
 1,856

Pear Family Reunion

The Apple family (including Sugar Belle) were gathered around the kitchen table, eating dinner. Grand Pear had joined them, as he sometimes did when he had could take time away from his pear stand.

"Mm-mm." Grand Pear smiled as he finished his plate. "Now that's good eatin'. Nice work, Granny."

"Ah can't take all the credit." Granny Smith said humbly. "Sugar Belle here did all a' the real work."

"Oh, it was nothing." Sugar Belle blushed, Big Mac lovingly stroking her hoof.

"Well, either way, it was a fantastic meal." Grand Pear nodded. "Enough to make a stallion feel lucky he was included."

"Yer always welcome at our table, Grand Pear." Applejack declared.

"Eeyup." Big Mac nodded.

"You should join us fer dinner this Friday." Apple Bloom suggested. "We're havin' sum a' Goldie Delicious' famous strudel!"

"That does sound good." Grand Pear admitted. "But I'm afraid I can't be here on Friday."

"Oh, that's too bad." Sugar Belle frowned.

"Why aren't ya gonna be here, Grand Pear-Pear?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Oh, I'm just taking a trip over to Vanhoover." Grand Pear said, oddly nervous.

"Wuzn't that where you and yer family moved tah way back when?" Granny Smith recalled.

"...Yeah." Grand Pear nodded.

"Yer not movin' back there, are ya?" Apple Bloom asked, suddenly concerned.

"No, no." Grand Pear was quick to assuage his grandfilly's fear. "It's just, well..."

"Jest what, exactly?" Applejack urged.

"Come on, out with it!" Granny Smith demanded.

"Okay, okay." Grand Pear sighed. "The Pears are havin' their family reunion in Vanhoover this week. And of course, they're expectin' me to be there..."

"Is that it?" Granny Smith scoffed. "Ain't no need tah dance around that, yah ol' knot head!"

"I know." Grand Pear said sheepishly. "I was just worried mentioning the other Pears might still be a sore spot with you."

"Then ya worried fer nuthin'." Granny Smith shrugged. "The past is past. We ain't interested in ol' grudges."

"That's good to hear." Grand Pear smiled.

"...Hey, kin we come with ya?" Apple Bloom spoke up.

"...'Scuse me?" Grand Pear asked.

"Come again?" Granny Smith asked at the same time.

"Well, we are part of the Pear family, ain't we?" Apple Bloom pointed out.

"She's right." Applejack agreed. "What with ma bein' a Pear, an' all..."

"As the newest member of the family, I think that's a great idea." Sugar Belle threw in her two Bits.

"Eeyup." Big Mac nodded.

"Ah dunno..." Granny Smith mused.

"Yer the one who said we ain't got time for grudges." Applejack pointed out.

"She's also the only Apple here to know how heated the rivalry between the Apples and the Pears used to be." Grand Pear interjected. "It may have been years since those days, but I doubt my kinfolk would be happy to see me bringing along an Apple-based entourage."

"Apple-based, maybe." Applejack admitted. "But we're all part Pear." She indicated herself and her siblings.

"That's right." Apple Bloom agreed. "We're livin' proof that Apples and Pears can get along. You saw it, and together, we can help the other Pears see it too."

"Eeyup!" Big Mac nodded enthusiastically.

"Well, when you put it like that..." Grand Pear turned to Granny Smith. "Whattaya say?"

"...Ah, what the hay?" Granny Smith smiled. "Harvestin' season just ended, so the farm can keep fer a day or two. So Ah say let's go fer it!"

"Awesome!" Apple Bloom cheered.

"Thanks, Granny." Applejack smiled.

"My first Apple family trip." Sugar Belle grinned. "This is going to be great!"

"Eeyup." Big Mac nuzzled her.

"Then it's decided." Grand Pear nodded. "Meet me at the train station this Friday at nine sharp."

"Lookin' forward to it, Grand Pear-Pear." Apple Bloom beamed.

As he made his way back home, Grand Pear felt some misgivings over Apples and Pears crossing paths again for the first time in years. But at the same time, he felt some hope that his grandfoals were right, and that they could finally put an end to their families' feud, once and for all.

Friday rolled around all too soon, and the Apples (plus Sugar Belle) gathered at the Ponyville train station, bright and early.

"There you all are." Grand Pear moved to meet them. "Everypony ready?"

"Ready as we'll ever be." Granny Smith nodded.

"Ah'm so excited!" Apple Bloom squealed. "Ain't nuthin' better than meetin' new family fer the first time!"

"Easy, li'l sis." Applejack chuckled.

"Here comes the train!" Sugar Belle pointed.

The Friendship Express rolled into the station, and the extended family boarded, ready for Vanhoover.

'This is it.' Grand Pear thought, as the train departed Ponyville. 'No turning back now...'

A couple of hours later, they arrived in Vanhoover.

"Okay, where to now?" Granny Smith asked.

"The civic center." Grand Pear declared. "Just two lefts and a right from here."

As they began their short trek, Apple Bloom gazed at their surroundings in wonder.

"Wow, this is one big city." She gasped. "Not Canterlot big, but still..."

"I suddenly feel so small..." Sugar Belle mused, just as unused to tall buildings as her little sister-in-law.

"That's the big city for ya." Grand Pear nodded. "And there were plenty of local ponies with a taste for pears. The Pear family enjoyed bushels of profit here."

"Lucky you." Granny Smith snarked, a tad put off by the locals' non-apple tastes.

They arrived at the civic center soon after; it was a wide building with a domed roof.

"Fancy." Applejack noted.

"Bigger than our entire homestead." Granny Smith acknowledged.

"According to the letter I got, the reunion's being held in the east hall." Grand Pear recalled. He led the group down the corridors, to a set of double doors. A sign on the wall read "Reserved for Pear family reunion".

"Here we go..." Granny Smith declared.

Grand Pear pushed open the double doors, revealing a room filled with multiple Earth Ponies, all chatting and sharing stories. Those nearest to the entrance took note of the newcomers. One, a lime-coated, emerald-eyed stallion who looked to be almost as old as Grand Pear, stepped forward. His mane was grey, with a single brilliant gold streak within, and his Cutie Mark was of a pear with a noticeable gleam. He also wore a red bandana around his neck, similar to Grand Pear's green.

"Well, look who finally made it." The stallion grinned as he approached Grand Pear.

"Hello, Shiny Pear." Grand Pear smiled.

"Long time, no see, big brother." Shiny Pear remarked. "How's retirement been treatin' you?"

"Can't complain." Grand Pear admitted. "Lucky for me, the ponies of Ponyville still love a good pear."

"Like that's a big surprise." An Earth Pony mare, around Applejack's age, chuckled. She had a pale green coat, a rose-colored mane, blue eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a pear and a bouquet of flowers.

"Good to see you again, Pear Blossom." Grand Pear smiled.

"You too, gramps." Pear Blossom beamed.

A filly, more or less Apple Bloom's size, rushed over. She had a hot pink mane, green eyes, and a pastel pink coat.

"Grampa!" She hugged Grand Pear.

"Ah, my sweet little Candy Pear." Grand Pear returned the hug

"Easy there, baby sis." A hulking stallion stepped forward. He had a dark green coat, short, a spiky red mane, brown eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a pear with lots of spikes. "Save some of Grand Pear for the rest of us."

"Spoilsport." Candy Pear pouted as she reluctantly let go of Grand Pear.

"How was your trip, grandfather?" The stallion asked.

"Straight to the point as always, eh, Prickly Pear?" Grand Pear rolled his eyes.

"Naturally." Prickly Pear nodded proudly.

An elderly pony mare joined them. She had a frizzy, faded tangelo mane (with a green bow), brilliant orange eyes, brilliant gold coat, and a cutie Mark of half a pear and a Cinnamon stick.

"Hello, Cinnamon Pear." Grand Pear smiled.

"I've missed you, Grand." Cinnamon Pear beamed. "We all have."

"And I've missed all of you too." Grand Pear said warmly.

"Not enough to write us, more often, though." A mare with a white coat, long brown mane, green eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a pear topped with snow smirked.

"Ah, Snow Pear." Grand Pear grinned. "As feisty as ever, I see."

"You better believe it, old timer." Snow Pear chuckled.

"Hey, who are your guests?" Cinnamon Pear asked, noticing the Apples (who had been observing the reunions with a vested interest). "Friends from Ponyville?"

"Kinda..." Grand Pear said awkwardly.

"You do remember this event is for Pear family members only, right?" Prickly Pear asked haughtily.

"Technically, we are family." Granny Smith pointed out.

"...Wait." Shiny Pear narrowed his eyes as he moved in closer. "You look familiar..." As he observed her, he took notice of her Cutie Mark. "You're an Apple!"

All the Pears in the room froze with shock.

"Well, ain't you the observant one?" Granny Smith deadpanned.

Cinnamon Pear glanced at the others' Cutie Marks.

"They're all Apples!" She yelled.

"Except for this one." Prickly Pear pointed at Sugar Belle.

"Actually, I'm married to him." Sugar Belle indicated Big Mac. "So y'know, I'm an Apple by marriage."

"Eeyup." Big Mac smiled proudly.

"You brought Apples here?" Shiny Pear glared at Grand Pear.

"That's right." Grand Pear nodded. "Because these three-" He indicated Big Mac, Applejack and Apple Bloom. "-Are Pear Butter's kids. That makes them half Pear."

"And half-Apple." Cinnamon Pear glared.

"Nonetheless, they're my guests, and they should be shown the proper courtesy." Grand Pear instructed.

"Huh!" Prickly Pear scoffed. "Like that's ever gonna happen!"

"You're the one who told us Pear Butter wasn't any family of ours anymore." Shiny Pear pointed out. "The night we left for Vanhoover, you burst into the house, angrier than I'd ever seen you. And when I asked where Pear Butter was, why she wasn't coming with us, you said she'd betrayed us all by marrying that Apple."

"I was wrong." Grand Pear admitted ruefully. "Pear Butter didn't betray us. In fact, I betrayed her. I was her father, and I left her behind. For too long, I let my hatred for the Apples cloud my judgment. I only realised how wrong I was after it was too late... Too late for me to make amends with my daughter, to ask her if she could ever forgive me..."

"So that's why you decided to spend your retirement in Ponyville?" Shiny Pear scowled. "So you could beg those Apples for forgiveness instead? Pathetic."

"Hold up, there!" Granny Smith stepped back. "What's wrong with wanting forgiveness?"

"He didn't do anything that needed forgivin'!" Cinnamon Pear scoffed. "Pear Butter was the one who betrayed us all! That lousy traitor brought shame to all of us when she married that rotten Apple!"

"Don't ya dare talk about our parents like that!" Applejack yelled.

"Why not?" Prickly Pear scoffed. "He talked about them like that for years." He pointed at Grand Pear.

"And I regret every word." Grand Pear admitted. "Pear Butter and Bright Macintosh were in love. I had no right to try and force them apart. They raised three incredible grandfoals together."

"Thanks, Grand Pear-Pear." Apple Bloom smiled.

"'Grand Pear-Pear'?" Candy Pear snorted. "Seriously?"

"These ponies have as much right to be here as any of us." Grand Pear insisted. "And as far as I'm concerned, they're family. And I expect you to treat them as such."

There was an immediate uproar.

"You can't be serious." Shiny Pear spat.

"No way!" Prickly Pear snarled.

"Grampa!" Candy Pear gasped.

"Have you lost your mind?" Cinnamon Pear gaped.

"You really expect us to just-?" Pear Blossom cringed.

"Yes, I do." Grand Pear said firmly. "Retired or not, I'm still the patriarch of this family. Which means what I say goes. Am I making myself clear?"

"Perfectly clear." Shiny Pear said coldly.

"We'll treat these Apples like family, alright." Prickly Pear sneered. "Estranged family..."

The Pears walked away, pointedly getting as much distance between them and the Apples as possible.

"Well, that could've gone better..." Granny Smith frowned.

"Ah had a feelin' things wouldn't be so easy." Applejack admitted.

"Eeyup." Big Mac said flatly.

"Come on, y'all." Apple Bloom urged. "We just gotta show these Pears the kind a' decent folk we Apples really are."

"That's the spirit." Grand Pear smiled.

"Couldn't hurt tah try." Applejack nodded.

"Eeyup!" Big Mac smiled.

"Maybe a little outside perspective will help these Pears see what the Apples are actually like." Sugar Belle mused.

"And Ah think I saw a few blank flanks in the crowd." Apple Bloom noted. "Jest the kind of thing a Cutie Mark Crusader can help with..."

"As for me, I think I'll go try and talk some sense into my brother." Grand Pear declared.

"Good luck with that." Granny Smith declared. "He seems like a real stubborn one.."

"Oh, he is." Grand Pear nodded. "But I can be stubborn too..."

The group split up, hoping to cover as much ground as possible in terms of putting the age-old feud to rest.

"At the end of the day, Apples and Pears ain't so different." Applejack smiled. "We're all farm ponies, makin' our livin' by raisin' the bounty of the land."

Across the room, Apple Bloom approached Candy Pear, who was chewing on a pear-flavored gumball.

"What do you want, Apple?" Candy Pear sneered.

"Ah, uh, couldn't help but notice that yer... well, a blank flank." Apple Bloom pointed out.

"What of it?" Candy Pear growled sorely. "You gonna make fun a' me, or somethin'?"

"Actually, Ah wuz gonna offer tah help with that." Apple Bloom announced.

"And how can you help?" Candy Pear scoffed.

"Well, not tah brag, but it's kinda mah special talent." Apple Bloom revealed. "Don't be fooled by the apple symbol on mah flank. Mah destiny is to help ponies find their own special talents. An' Ah could help ya find yours, if ya'd let me."

"Oh?" Candy Pear narrowed her eyes skeptically. "And how do you plan on doing that?"

"Well, first, Ah need tah to know a little about ya." Apple Bloom replied. "Like yer hobbies, favorite food, stuff that appeals to ya..."

"So now I have to answer a survey?" Candy Pear rolled her eyes. "Okay, fine. I like playing Buckball, readin' comics, my favorite treat is pear drops, and what 'appeals' to me is not having to answer a bunch a' stupid questions."

"What about at home?" Apple Bloom asked. "What d'ya like to do most there?"

"Well..." Candy Pear mulled the question over. "I like helping my mom in the kitchen. She lets me help with the ingredients when she's whippin' up some delicious desserts..." She smiled at the memory.

"Okay." Apple Bloom declared. "Ah think Ah have a few ideas fer you to try..."

Meanwhile, Sugar Belle approached Snow Pear, who was by the buffet table, stacking up some frosted cupcakes (pear-flavored, of course).

"Hello, there." She smiled sweetly.

"Ugh..." Snow Pear cringed.

Sugar Belle's smile faltered a little, but she pressed on.

"Those are some nice-looking cupcakes." She declared. "Mind if I try one?"

"Whatever." Snow Pear muttered.

Sugar Belle picked up one of the cupcakes with her magic, and took a bite.

"Mmm!" She nodded. "This is great!"

"...Oh, thanks." Snow Pear said awkwardly. "I, er... I made those."

"Well, you did a great job." Sugar Belle finished the cupcake. "I'm actually a baker myself, so believe me when I say that was one of the best cupcakes I've ever had."

"Really?" Snow Pear smiled in spite of herself. "You can have another, if you like."

"I think I will." Sugar Belle grinned, picking up another cupcake and enjoying. "How do you give it that little zing in the middle?"

"Sorry, but it's a secret recipe." Snow Pear declined. "Thanks for the words of praise, though."

"No problem." Sugar Belle nodded. "Always happy to critique another baker's skills."

"Lucky for me... Sorry, I didn't catch your name?" Snow Pear asked.

"Sugar Belle." The sweet baker replied. "A pleasure to meet you."

"How'd a nice mare like you end up married to a lousy Apple?" Snow Pear asked.

"For starters, Big Mac isn't 'lousy'." Sugar Belle's smile receded once more. "He's the sweetest, most thoughtful stallion I've ever met. You shouldn't judge him just because of his family. How would you like it if ponies did that with you?"

"Well, I..." Snow Pear spluttered, shaken by Sugar Belle's sudden change in temperament.

"Besides, becoming part of the Apple family is one of the best things that's ever happened to me." Sugar Belle admitted. "I don't know much about this feud of yours, but you all look like good ponies to me. And in my experience, good ponies can rise above things like an old rivalry."

"Easier said than done." Snow Pear frowned.

"...Maybe you'd like to try some of my cupcakes?" Sugar offered, opening one of her saddlebags. "I always make some for long trips."

"Sure, why not?" Snow Pear accepted the offered cupcake, and took a bite. "...Hmm. Not bad. What flavor is this?"

"Apple." Sugar Belle grinned.

"... Seriously?" Snow Pear gazed at the half-eaten cupcake.

"That's right." Sugar Belle nodded. "An Apple family recipe. Made with genuine Sweet Apple Acres apples."

Snow Pear glanced again at the cupcake... And finished it.

"Got any more?" She asked.

"Of course." Sugar Belle chuckled, floating over another cupcake.

Across the room, Applejack approached Pear Blossom.

"Howdy there." She said courteously.

"Can't you Apples take a hint?" Pear Blossom scowled. "You're not welcome here."

"Why not?" Applejack frowned. "Cuz a' sum silly feud that started way before either of us wuz even born?"

"Time doesn't matter." Pear Blossom said stubbornly.

"Whattaya even know about this feud, anyway?" Applejack asked. "Yah don't look that much older'n me. That means ya grew up right here in Vanhoover."

"So?" Pear Blossom sneered.

"So... Have ya ever actually met an Apple before today?" Applejack inquired.

"I didn't need to." Pear Blossom retorted. "I heard all I needed to from my elders."

"Oh, yeah?" Applejack challenged. Did ya hear how Apples care fer and protect their Apples trees, and treat their friends like family?"

"Well..." Pear Blossom faltered.

"Or how we believe in keepin' our word, an' livin' up to our responsibilities?" Applejack pressed on.

"I don't think the elders ever mentioned that..." Pear Blossom mused. "But how did I know this is all the truth."

"Ah ain't exactly the lyin' type." Applejack said earnestly. "When Ah first met Grand Pear, Ah only had stories tah go on. But Ah soon learned tah judge him by who he wuz, not from what Ah'd heard about him. And Ah planned tah do the same thing with ev'ry Pear Ah met today."

"You did?" Pear Blossom asked, confused. This went against everything she'd ever heard the elders say about the Apples. But somehow, she could see Applejack's innate honesty in her eyes. "Really?"

"Darn tootin'." Applejack nodded. "So how 'bout ya tell me a li'l about yerself? Ah promise tah listen. And after, maybe you could return the favor?"

"I guess that could work..." Pear Blossom said hesitantly. "So, uh... I do help with the pear harvesting, but what I mostly do is pick and sell the pear blossoms that grow on the trees. Ponies seem to love them, and so do I."

"Ah ain't surprised." Applejack smiled. "They're sum pretty posies. Maybe Ah could buy a few offa ya? ...That is, if ya don't mind an Apple's patronage?"

"A customer's a customer, I suppose..." Pear Blossom shrugged. "Now, how about you tell me something about you? What's it like in Ponyville?"

"It's a great town." Applejack smiled. "Picturesque surroundings, nice neighbors... But some crazy stuff can happen there."

"How crazy can a small town be?" Pear Blossom asked skeptically.

"Ya'd be surprised..." Applejack chuckled.

Cinnamon Pear was sat at a table, sipping at a glass of pear juice.

"Restin' up those old bones?" Granny Smith smiled as she sat opposite her. "Mind if Ah join you?"

"I would, actually." Cinnamon Pear scowled.

"Well, too bad." Granny Smith smirked. "Cuz Ah got sum stuff tah say, an' you are gonna listen."

"Typical pushy Apple." Cinnamon Pear scoffed.

"Ah know our families have had sum bad blood fer a long time." Granny Smith acknowledged. "But that was between our generation. Those grandkids a' mine weren't a part a' that. They don't deserve any ill will. None of us do."

"Those young 'uns are one thing." Cinnamon Pear scoffed. "But you and I are both old enough to remember what things were like between our families back in the day. So why are you suddenly all for making peace?"

"Because Ah saw with mah own eyes that Apples and Pears can get along." Granny Smith answered. "Mah boy Bright Mac and your niece Pear Butter loved each other, despite our feud. It took me a while to see it, but see it Ah did. From then on, Ah treated Pear Butter like mah own kin."

"That was... Decent of you." Cinnamon Pear admitted grudgingly.

"And jest so ya know, Pear Butter never forget where she came from." Granny Smith smiled. "Whenever she made Apple pie, she always added a whole pear inta the mix, tah honor her side a' the family. Ah always respected her fer that."

"She did that?" Cinnamon Pear whispered, touched.

"hen Grand Pear came back tah Ponyville, Ah knew the time had come tah bury the hatchet." Granny Smith continued. "Don't ya think it's time tah do the same? It's better than reviving some old rivalry. Life's too short fer holdin' grudges, especially fer a pair a' old bats like us."

"You really mean that, don't you?" Cinnamon Pear mused. "The mare I remember would never have said anything like that."

"That mare is long gone." Granny Smith smiled. "Let me reintroduce mahself: Granny Smith, proud grandmother to half-Apple, half-Pear kids. Nice tah meet ya." She held out her hoof.

Cinnamon Pear hesitated for a moment, then took the hoof.

"A pleasure." She smiled.

Meanwhile, Grand Pear found Shiny Pear in the back room, scowling.

"There you are, Shiny." Grand Pear noted.

"I know that look." Shiny Pear grimaced. "You're going to give me one of your big brother lectures, aren't you?"

"I just want to talk." Grand Pear insisted.

"Let me guess: is the topic Apple-related?" Shiny Pear sneered.

"And Pear-related." Grand Pear confirmed. "You may think I'm being a hypocrite about this, but I've been regretting disowning Pear Butter for years."

"And why should you?" Shiny Pear scoffed. "She made her choice. She chose to become an Apple."

"I know you missed her too." Grand Pear told him. "Just as much as me."

Shiny Pear tried to deny this, but after a few moments of resisting, he finally gave in.

"Of course I missed her." He stared tearfully at his brother. "She was my favorite niece. Even when I thought she'd betrayed us, I missed her every day. And now she's..."

"No, she's not." Grand Pear countered. "A part of her lives on. Not just in our hearts, but in those kids. Big Macintosh, Applejack, Apple Bloom... There's so much of Pear Butter in them. It's almost like she's right here with us. You could see it yourself, if you just gave those kids a chance, and got to know them."

"But.... They're still Apples." Shiny Pear said stubbornly.

"Apples, Pears... We're all the same where it counts." Grand Pear declared. "...Don't make the same mistake I made, little brother. Don't let a silly feud keep you from your family."

Shiny Pear lowered his head, as Grand Pear's words were absorbed into his thoughts. He had a decision to make...

Across the room, Candy Pear was putting together some pear sorbet. After a few failed attempts at finding her special talent, Apple Bloom had suggested she try something in the culinary sense. Fortunately, the buffet had everything required, even an ice cream maker.

"Almost done..." Candy Pear muttered. "You sure this'll work?"

"Yer the one who said she likes helpin' her ma in the kitchen." Apple Bloom pointed out.

"With ingredients." Candy Pear retorted. "But I never actually made anything..."

"Ya'd be surprised what yah can pick up jest by watchin'" Apple Bloom smiled.

"Okay, it's ready." Candy Pear said nervously. "Give it a try..."

Apple Bloom dipped a plastic spoon into the concoction, and took a taste.

"...Well?" Candy Pear asked, on tenterhooks.

"It's great!" Apple Bloom grinned. "Totally fantastic!"

"No way!" Candy grabbed a spoon of her own and took a taste. "Wow! I can't believe I actually made that!"

"Believe it, missy." Apple Bloom snarked.

A bright light suddenly emitted from Candy Pear's flank. When it faded, there was an image of a pear and a wrapped candy adorning the formerly blank flank.

"It finally happened..." Candy Pear stared at the image on her flank like she couldn't believe it was there. "My Cutie Mark!! Ha-ha!!"

"Congrats!" Apple Bloom smiled.

"Thank you so, so much!" Candy Pear hugged her.

"Happy to help." Apple Bloom declared. "Like Ah said, it's mah special talent."

"I guess you Apples aren't so bad after all." Candy Pear admitted. "Now let's go tell my brother!"

"Right behind ya!" Apple Bloom nodded, the two fillies racing off.

Emerging from the doors leading to the kitchen, Prickly Pear was bringing in some barrels of pear juice to replenish the buffet supplies. However, he had bitten off more then he could chew, and was struggling to carry them.

"Come on, you can do this..." He encouraged himself, struggling to keep the barrels steady on his back. "Just a little further..."

As he teetered towards the table where the mugs and tankards were situated, he unknowingly stepped in a patch of spilled juice, and slipped.

"Whoa!" He yelped. He managed to keep himself from falling, but the sudden movement caused the topmost barrels to start to tip over. "No-no-no-no!"

The barrels fell off his back, set to shatter on the floor. But before that could happen, Big Mac stepped in, catching the barrels on his own back.

"What the-?" Prickly Pear gaped. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Ah'd've thought that wuz obvious." Big Mac retorted.

"Oh, so you can say more than just 'Eeyup'." Prickly Pear noted.

"When Ah want to, yeah." Big Mac nodded.

"Yeah, well... I didn't need your help." Prickly Pear scoffed. "I had the situation well in hoof."

"Didn't look that way tah me." Big Mac declared. "Besides, Ah hate tah see perfectly good juice ruined. Ah'll bet a lotta hard work went into making this stuff."

"You'd win that bet." Prickly Pear acknowledged. "And I oughta know, since I helped make most of it."

"No foolin'?" Big Mac mused.

"Nope." Prickly Pear confirmed. "Took a solid week of work for me to fill all these barrels. But seeing ponies enjoyin' the fruits of my labor makes it all worth it." He smiled.

"Ah know the feelin'." Big Mac nodded. "Jest like when Ah go the extra mile to make sure everypony in Ponyville gets to enjoy a nice cup a' cider."

"Cider's not really my thing." Prickly Pear admitted. "But it's always nice to meet a stallion who knows the value of a strong work ethic."

"Prickly, look!" Candy Pear pointed out her flank. "I got my Cutie Mark!"

"Whoa, really?" Prickly Pear grinned. He picked her and bounced her into the air. "Way to go, li'l sis! You finally did it! I'm so proud of you!"

"Well, I didn't do it all myself." Candy Pear admitted. "I had some help."

"Oh, really?" Prickly Pear set her back down on the floor. "From who?"

"From me, actually." Apple Bloom joined them.

"Seriously?" Prickly Pear gaped.

"It's true." Candy Pear nodded. "It was her idea for me to try mixing something sweet with the pears at the buffet. Next thing I knew - Bam! - I got my Cutie Mark!"

"Oh, well..." Prickly Pear looked at Apple Bloom. "Thanks for helping my little sister."

"Aw, it wuz nuthin'." Apple Bloom said humbly. "Candy did all the real work. Ah jest pointed her in the right direction."

"It still means a lot." Prickly Pear insisted. "There's nothing more important to me than seeing my li'l sis happy."

"Prickly..." Candy Pear rolled her eyes.

"Ah know what yer gettin' at." Apple Bloom nodded. "Family means a lot to us Apples too."

"Huh." Prickly Pear mused. "Maybe we're more alike than I thought."

"Eeyup." Big Mac nodded.

As Grand Pear and Shiny Pear returned from their talk, they saw a wondrous sight; the Apples and Pears talking and being friendly with each other.

"Holy pear skins." Shiny Pear gaped. "How long were we talking?"

"I had a feeling this would happen." Grand Pear chuckled. "Those Apples can be surprisingly good at solving problems, even if the problem is a decades-long feud."

"Never thought I'd see the day when Apples and Pears actually get along." Shiny Pear chuckled.

"So did I, once." Grand Pear noted. "But sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong." He nudged his brother. "Wanna make it official?"

"Gladly." Shiny Pear nodded. "Attention, Pears!" He said loudly, gaining everypony's attention. "I never thought I'd say this, but as of today, our feud with the Apples is over!"

In response, the Apples and Pears in the crowd cheered.

"Grand Pear was right." Shiny Pear declared. "Apples, Pears... We're all the same where it counts."

"Now that's what Ah like tah hear!" Granny Smith grinned.

"Music to these old ears." Cinnamon Pear agreed.

"Think Ah could be one a' yer regular customers now?" Applejack asked Pear Blossom.

"Sure." Pear Blossom nodded. "Ah'll even give you a little discount."

"If you're ever in Ponyville, I'll gladly share my cupcake recipes with you." Sugar Belle told Snow Pear.

"Ditto." Snow Pear smiled.

"Guess that's the end of that chapter." Prickly Pear noted. "And the start of a whole new one."

"Eeyup." Big Mac nodded.

"Hey, ya wanna be penpals?" Apple Bloom asked Candy Pear.

"Sure!" Candy Pear nodded.

"Okay, Pears... And Apples." Shiny Pear smiled. "Let's get back to the festivities. Because today, we Pears were reunited with a family we didn't even know we had. And a family we're happy to have with us."

The crowd cheered once more.

"Good job, little brother." Grand Pear smiled. "Pear Butter would be proud."

Shiny Pear smiled, as they looked upon their newly reunited family having fun and getting to know each other. It was going to be the first of many such reunions... But also the most fondly remembered.

Meanwhile...

On the other side of Vanhoover was situated the hall of records, containing mountains of written files. Inside, the head record keeper was preparing to close up for the night.

"The end of another productive day." He said to himself, as he made his way to the door of the lobby, planning to close it behind him.

Just as he was about to step through the door, it opened, and a figure entered the lobby. The stranger's form was completely hidden by a voluminous black cloak.

"Sorry for the intrusion." The figure rasped. "But I require some... Information."

"Well, this is the place for it." The record keeper admitted. "But I'm afraid I'm about to lock up for the night. And besides, proper authorization is required to peruse most of the records."

"...I see." The figure said quietly. "But if it's not too much trouble, could I get your help with just one small thing?"

"I suppose." The record keeper shrugged. "What is it you nee-?"

A sudden flash of light emanated from under the figure's cloak, and the record keeper froze in place.

"Why, thank you." The figure sneered as he took the frozen record keeper's keys. "You've been a great help."

The cloaked figure made his way to the records room, unlocking it with one of the chancellor's keys. He stood within the room, taking in all the cabinets filled with information.

"So much knowledge, so little time..." He cackled.