• Published 15th May 2020
  • 915 Views, 62 Comments

The Heart of a Derpy Ditzy - Derpybrony890



Derpy never had someone who loved her. So she always assumed she would be alone. However, a strange stallion enters her life, and everything seemed to change. Will Derpy ever find her happiness, or is her assumption correct?

  • ...
2
 62
 915

A New Friend... Maybe

Ponyville, a place of grandeur and hospitality, where you can be greeted by almost everypony with a smile on all of their faces. The school, where many young adolescent ponies try to figure out how their cutie marks can work for them in their futures. Yes, Ponyville, where friends gather around to see each other in their free time, finding out where they stand in the world. Where no one is forgotten or mistrusted, and young ponies can have fun after school during the remaining day. The best place for anyone. A place of wonder, a place like no other. Where you are never judged by any... and loved by all.

However… that just wasn’t the case for me.

“Give it back!” I shouted to the bullies who think it is so funny to tease and steal my belongings

“Why?” One of the impedimented stallions said even though I knew he wouldn’t let me answer, “It's not like you read these things anyway,”

Of course, I read them, it may not look like it, but I have a liking for literature. Oh, wait… you may be confused as to why these bullies are teasing me. You see, my eyes kind of have a condition called strabismus, a mystery I have yet to understand of why I have it, but I think it is genetics, the most common way of getting this condition, yet my family told others that it was an accident that is so harsh no one would want to talk about it. But I knew that was just for publicity. Anyway, due to this, I had a full life of pain and ridicule of other ponies. Just like now.

I waited till the bullies stopped with the teasing and playing keep away. What’s it worth if they just give up I thought, and my prediction was correct, for they soon gave up and left. Leaving me with a big mess that I had to clean up and be late for my next class!

After many more minutes of picking up my belongings and putting them in my saddlebags, I went to the class that I knew was very late. And once I came in, everypony stared at me.

“Your late miss,” the teacher said with no sincerity whatsoever, I smiled a sheepish smile, hoping I could just sit down and let my imagination run. Though soon I tripped, not knowing exactly why.

I thought I was clear! Was there a book I didn’t see? Or maybe a bag that was put down while I wasn’t looking. Or… oh.

I saw a dark magenta hoof being shown and I frowned as I looked at the face. Shadow Heart. A mare true to her name. she had a very bright maroon mane and a dark magenta coat. She also had a dark dagger piercing a heart in the middle of it! Don’t ask me what her special talent is, because I soon gave up once I reached a very bad conclusion. And she, of course, was my arch enemy (to her at least). It all started in my first year of grade school, I didn’t have any friends yet, but I knew this would be my chance. I was eight currently after my flight school lessons. I did a pretty good job there, so I was able to graduate a bit early, but not as early as another, faster student… anyway, after getting to my seat I looked around and saw many fillies and colts talking with each other, but I was all alone until I saw a mare come up to me and eyeing me curiously (you guessed it… Shadow Heart). We talked for a few minutes and really started bonding. It was then recess and I followed her out, unfortunately, my eyes also aren’t great with coordination, so sometimes I trip, or in this case, bump into other ponies. So I accidentally bumped into… who else? Shadow Heart, my new friend. And to make things worse, it rained the night before, leaving a mess of puddles, to which Shadow Heart was bumped into. I thought it was okay because she didn’t look hurt, but when I saw her face she looked very mad at me.

“You idiot! My coat just got washed! Why don’t you look where you're going! I just made my hair perfect! You are so dumb!”

I tried helping her but she just threw her hoof at me and shouted: “GET AWAY FROM ME AND DON’T EVER TOUCH MY GORGEOUS FACE AGAIN!!!!”

I thought this would just be water over the bridge, but the next day she went to my face and told me to back off, and I knew this would be a horrible friendship. It only got worse because she was considered the most popular pony every year, and because of our acquaintanceship, ending because she was “just not deserving of me”, and making a rumor about me that made it look like I was a devil in disguise. However, I never retaliated, that would just give in to what everypony was saying, but I did try to avoid Shadow Heart at all cost.

It never seemed to work, even when we were in middle school, she always found some way to make sure that everyone hated me or thought I was too dumb to understand anything. And every year she had a new set of goons who would praise her, doing everything she wished as if she was the empress, and mostly doing the taunting to me.

“What’s wrong with her eyes? Are they always like that? Oh gosh, can you even see out of those things?” one of them said grimacing and pointing to my eyes.

“I bet she falls on her nose all the time, does she even know how to speak?” another said, quite a loud mind you. Other ponies came by, too. However, they just laughed, but that always sent me to an edge. So I started to cry and run away. Once again, realizing that I was alone.

So, while getting up and brushing off, I huffed quietly and sat into my seat nearest the window, just to imagine and let my mind wander, completely ignoring the lesson. I looked out the window, my seat was near the best place to stop and imagine a better world. A world that had me treated like an equal. Friends that cared about me and listened to my many stories. A special somepony who took my hoof and squeezed it tightly to make sure that I never let go. I didn’t want to imagine that I was a hero, I just wanted something that could make me smile. A better place in my head that makes me feel whole.

That image was broken, however, because of a piece of paper held by a colt who told me to go to the…

Oh, come on!

In my hooves was a note that said I needed to go to the front desk. Probably good for another story huh…

I was never as great a flyer as another pegasus called Rainbow Dash but was better than most, my parents took me to a special class that made me fly better since both of them weren’t pegasi. My teacher, an orange mare with lovely brown hair mixed with golden highlights, was the greatest you could have as a teacher. We always met near the lounge where other teachers hung out and ate lunch. Once I was getting the hang of it, my teacher left to have lunch as well but always keeping an eye on me. I was practicing my loops when I overheard one of the teachers say something.

“So, did you hear?” One of the teachers said in true gossip mode.

“No what?”

“The principal just broke up with his marefriend and there’s been a rumor saying it was because he was in love with somepony else!”

I saw that my teacher was blushing wildly and thought it was cute that she had a crush on the principal, he was a good stallion who had a nice dark red coat and his mane was the bluest color that anypony could see. He also had a great spirit and was told to be the greatest colt that took on any mares' eyes. He was also really nice, especially for me. Once when I was struggling with my flying, he told me to never give up and try again until I get it right. So I took this advice and now I can flip like a gymnastic on a trapeze.

Thinking of the rumor, I knew that something must be done. My principal came by to check on me and my teacher, but when she was walking away to help one of her coworkers, I came up to the principal's ear and told him everything. And when I mean everything, I mean everything. I shouldn't have, I know now, but I didn’t know what some of those words meant before and thought it was just something sweet to say. My principal, however, took it another way, which led to a long talk and a very sad teacher. I went over to his office to try and hear what they were saying, hoping that I didn’t mess up anything, but the door opened before I could hear even the first breath. I looked at my teacher and saw the tears of hatred and a mad face that stared daggers at my eyes. And I knew I messed up… again.

Now that she was fired I was unfortunately welcomed coldly by her when I first came to Ponyville’s highschool. The same mad face that I saw when I was a child. That same face was still there when I came up to her, but she wouldn’t let me speak before shoving a piece of paper in my face and saying, “ There’s somepony here that wanted you to escort him around the school,” in an angry voice.

As I left, I had a few things on my mind, the first was why my former teacher could never get over my hiccup. I didn’t mean to, it was almost 11 years ago, I was only 6!

The second, and most important, was that somepony wanted me to show them around the school. Usually, when we have newcomers, a team of escorts is presented by their pictures on a sheet so that a pony new to the school could choose who he or she would want to take around the school. I joined the team only a few months ago but had never been chosen (it is so surprising how many ponies are new after the school year starts). I tried my best to make my eyes seem at least somewhat normal, but the minute my eyes went their “derpiest” is when the photographer took the picture! This being said, I wondered why this pony wanted me to give them a tour.

I was told to wait near the office doors while the front desk brought them to me. I looked at the paper and read a bit on the pony I was giving the tour to. It was hard because I couldn’t read much. That, and because there was very little information about the pony. Only that they were male and came from another school. However, I did not see any relations, but that could have been missed accidentally. Soon after, I tried to imagine what he might look like. My first image was a foreigner who didn’t know anything about beauty because that is not me! The second thing would be if he was a nerdy colt whom nopony would sit at lunch and never talk to anypony because he is so engrossed by his books or obsession that he wouldn’t even take notice of me. Or he was somepony who needed a good laugh and make fun of me... Like everypony else.

Before the tears left my face I tried to distract my brain with another activity. I started counting the tiles on the ceiling before I heard an unfamiliar voice.

“Excuse me, are you to be my escort?” I didn’t look yet, he spoke normal, but with a very posh accent, almost like the fashionista Rarity, a very pretty pony on the outside, and the inside, a generous spirit, though she does tend to get a bit dramatic at times, and gets very mad at me when I try to see her newest trends.

I soon gave up trying to find the identity of the voice and looked instead at its host, and I drew a breath. I saw a stallion, not a colt, with a dark, almost chestnut brown coat, he made it clear and pointed that he was no ugly pony, and he had a mane that spiked up and the most colorful eyes of blue that made me feel warm. Don’t ask me why. I stared at him and he stared back with confusion. I realized that I was just looking at him and doing nothing else. Still, if you were a pony, who’s eyes looked in opposite directions and were hated, scoffed, and even ignored, then you would be as confused as I was when I figured out that I was the pony this stallion chose to tour around the school.

“Oh! Um *cough* Yes, I am the one who is taking you around the school if you would just follow me.”

“Oh goodie!” he said with much enthusiasm that made me smile. A very small smile, but still a smile.

We soon went from classroom to classroom, I knew this school quite well and could tell what every classroom was and what was learned. After a few more classes, the lunchroom, and the gym, we finally entered my favorite place in the entire school, the library. I loved the library for two reasons, one was that the mountains of books were free for anypony who wanted them! And the second was that if anypony mocks me, the librarian shushes them instantly.

I went inside but noticed that my companion wasn’t there anymore, so I looked back and found him at the entrance with a shocked face.

I thought about checking to see if he was okay, but thought against it, why to ruin it for him, he may not have libraries where he came from.

I got a bit nervous, however, when after a while, he still stood in amazement, so I went over to him and he looked at me now with the widest smile only a child could muster after receiving the one thing he has wanted all his life.

He went inside and laughed at the amazing sight forward to him, “I can't believe it!” He said with much enthusiasm, “A library! An actual library! I have always wanted to see one, never was able until now. Oh! Look at this one! “The complete compilation of rocks: Where they are from and how they form”! THIS PLACE IS BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!”

I laughed. Like actually laughed! I hadn't done that in a long time. It was like I could not help smiling at how childish he was acting. It almost made me think I had finally made a friend here. Almost, that is. Because of the next stop… was where I knew I would lose him.

“And finally, this is the hall where everypony goes to hang out with their best friends at activities made by the ponies, for the ponies,” I said trying to sound as confident as I could. He didn’t buy it.

“Where do you go?” he asked me, which was surprising. Not by the question, but the fact that he was curious, and I couldn't take it.

“I… don’t think I want to tell you,” I said morosely, I didn’t want him to go away! He seemed so nice and never even commented on my eyes or any other deformities that I had! It was too good to be true.

“Well when you do, I’ll listen,” he said, smiling once again. This time it seemed a bit more calm and sweet. I have to get out of here fast.

I began to walk away, but soon found out he was following me again. “You do realize the tour is over right? You don’t have to follow me anymore.” I said walking away again.

“I know the tour is over, but I want to follow you because we’re friends right?”

I stopped in my tracks with a pale face, he may be new here. but never before had anypony said anything like that to me, not even my own sister wants to be seen with me.

I turned around and had tears welled up in my face. Realizing this, the stallion ran up to me to which I felt a touch of a hoof on my face. It was the best experience I could ever have… and I hated it so much.

“Why me?” I asked, doing my best to clear my throat and not choke.

“I don't think I understand the question,” He said, and I pushed his hoof away and stared at him in anger at what he said.

“I mean why do you bother with me? I obviously don't have what you want in a friend. I’m not smart and my eyes just make me ugly, I get bullied from every pony and ignored by others, and if you are my friend then it could happen to you as well. I don't want you to be bullied so you may be better just going into one of these doors, any, for that matter, and find a better pony than me because I would just ruin your life!” I was on the verge of running away at this point until I felt a force on me that caused my wonky eyes to notice the stallion was leaning onto me. Not only that, but he was actually hugging me!

“Do you think I care how your eyes look or how big your IQ may be. I’ll let you know that I didn’t have many friends back at my home and thought this would be the one place I could finally find somepony true. If you say that you get bullied or ignored by everypony then it’s all the more that I should stay with you. So please, don't say that you aren’t worth it, because I have seen many who never will be and you are not one of them”

I couldn't take it and tried to get out of his warm grasp. This was just too much for me. I didn’t want to leave but I couldn't stay either, so I went with my gut and just asked, “What is your name?” It may not have been the greatest question right now, but I think it would be nice just not to refer to him as “stallion” or “he” for the time being.

“Well, you can call me Time-Turner for now,”

I was stumped, not because of the name, but because he wouldn’t tell me his real name. You wouldn’t have told him yours either and you know it, my conscience said.

“What’s yours?”

I wanted to just keep it a secret, but those sky-blue eyes were telling me to say the truth. I opened my mouth when the school bell rang for ponies to go home. After being trampled by the hoards of ponies that were rushing for the weekend, I stayed put and just lied there, my mane frizzed and eyes circling. then picked up by a hoof that instantly felt familiar.

“You okay?” Turner said to me that made my heart leap… not in that way though!

“Yeah that happens a lot, don't worry about me, I have a thick skull,” I said realizing how dumb I sound.

“Well as long as you’re ok then I guess… bye?” he asked, almost as if he didn't want to leave. Though I know deep in my heart, I didn’t want to either.

“Um yeah, bye”

I left the school before I looked back at Time Turner leaving the opposite way, wondering if his words were true. Did he want to be friends? Do I finally have someone who cares for me? Don’t you dare get any ideas yet, you don’t even know him! My annoying head said leaving me with a frown as I went home.

Author's Note:

This really shouldn't come as a surprise, I mean I really ship these two. And what better way of displaying this than a cheesy highschool romance? Yeah, I think it probably could be better, but there is more to see, so don't make assumptions just yet! Also, if you are wondering, no this is not Time Lord doctor. I've never watched it, and since I know there are die-hards about some of those fanfics, I decided to go with my own version. Sorry.