• Published 15th May 2020
  • 913 Views, 62 Comments

The Heart of a Derpy Ditzy - Derpybrony890



Derpy never had someone who loved her. So she always assumed she would be alone. However, a strange stallion enters her life, and everything seemed to change. Will Derpy ever find her happiness, or is her assumption correct?

  • ...
2
 62
 913

The Project

It had already been about two weeks since my punishment had started, and already I was dying. I had gotten into a bit of a routine while Daydream was watching me. First, I wake up and do the usual thing you do on weekday mornings, then I and Daydream go along the way to school and fight about something, then I would go the entire day trying my best to make sure nopony talks to me. After that, I go out of school and Daydream and I, once again, go talking. Until finally I go home, almost about to do the chores when I realize that Daydream’s punishment involved doing the chores. I go up and think about my kiss, and work on getting everything for the ‘project’ I am going to do for Whooves. My parents come home and we all have dinner, then I go to bed, ready for another day.

The only thing is, Daydream and I, are getting a bit strange, I noticed after the party, that she was acting a bit abnormal. I asked her once, but all I got was a scowl and an ‘it's none of your business’ bit. I was a bit worried, she didn't come home at all that night at the party, and it wasn't until the morning when I saw her, she was tired, very tired, her mane was frazzled, and I could see that something may have happened. Yet I stayed out of it. After that, we seemed to be talking a bit, not fighting. I was starting to actually like talking with Daydream, she never really talked to me except when she demanded I do something for her. And once I even made her laugh! It was great progress. and another thing, my parents are noticing me too! They are starting to ask me things that they only did with Daydream, and they ask me things at the dinner table, rather than leave me out of their conversations.

Yes, it was starting to get better, but it wasn't all better. I could never get over my kiss with Doctor Whooves, what mare would? I thought about him for many hours in the day. Even today, as I head into my room, I can't stop thinking about his smile, and he thanked me for doing it! I knew now that the tiny possible chance of him liking me raised by many, of course, this was just a prediction like all my thoughts, but it wasn't impossible. And I smiled every time that I went up into the attic. I hope he will like it when I am finished,

Right then, I had everything I needed, I would put a nice big blanket and pillows for the hammock that he will sleep in, I also want to add a few drapes in so he could have his privacy. I have already made the plans to get real window panes so if it rains he won't have to be wet. I am also going to get a lamp and a few activities that he may want, so he doesn't get bored. Yesiree, I was fully into this project, and I will not back down.

My first task will be to get the heavy items and move them to the observatory. It wasn't that heavy, but I did have to take a few breaks. Finally, I got it out of the window and struggled incredibly. It was hard when you don't have anypony to help or supervise. I had remembered what Doctor Whooves had said, how he didn't want me to get hurt. When I had these words in my head, I could feel them feeling lighter. Soon, after my imagination was gone, I realized that they were lighter than before. I looked down and began to panic.

“Need help with that?” Daydream asked, with a strange, calm voice instead of her snarky one.

“Uh…” I was getting scared that her calm behavior was just a mask and she will be screaming at me to mom and dad. Yet she remained herself with a smile.

“Sure?” I asked. She raised her magic from her horn and it helped me a lot with getting into the observatory. Finally, I placed it down with where I want it to be and smiled at my achievement. I looked around and noticed that it was looking much nicer than before. I went to the window and looked out. My brain went into imagination mode and I saw me and Whooves talking about the stars and time. It now made me sad, I loved it when he went into his wacky visions about his dreams and his goals of lives.

“Wow, I’ve always wondered what it was like in here,” Daydream said making me jump with fear. I looked back and felt my heart leap. Daydream’s head went in and looked around. Before I would have told her to get out immediately, but now that she was calmer and starting to actually be a little bit nicer to me, I let her in. she may be a pain, but now with everything being the way it is, I feel like she and I should connect more. And so far we have, but we still have a long way to go.

“It doesn’t look great, but I'm planning on decorating a bit more,”

“I don’t think I ever heard you talking about decorating this place except after the punishment, why are you thinking of this now?”

I hesitated telling Daydream about my plan for Whooves to move in, but yet…

“Well, I can’t tell you everything, but I am doing this for a friend. And I want to make it nice for them, so to do that I need to move a few things from the attic to this place. Please don’t tell mom and dad about this okay?” I said. I was expecting her to look at me with a grimace, yet she seemed to understand where I am coming from.

“Oh that’s nice of you,” Daydream said with an actual joyful smile, I began to grow worried, this was not like her at all.

She looked around for a few more minutes with her smile gone, “You need to decorate it a bit more,” she said while trotting around the whole room. “A few posters here, and maybe a rug. This hammock is a bit nice. Brings out the exterior of the room.”

I was about to ask why she was giving me some tips on the room but I soon was taking this consideration. I looked around the observatory and realized she was right. I could now see that a few posters would make the room very nice. And I smiled at the thought, why does she want to help me? Is this about her punishment? Was there something that I hadn’t heard before? maybe I should just take this as a coincidence.

“Yeah, that looks like it would work, and maybe I could add a few stickers of stars,”

“Yeah, other than that it looks like this could be a good room. And your friend could really like it if he or she doesn’t mind it being about the stars,”

I began to blush for some odd reason, even though I knew Daydream probably had no idea who this was for, it sounded as if she knew exactly who it was for. “Um… I think he would appreciate it,”

“So it is a he!” Daydream said a bit loudly, I was scared that this was all a trap so Daydream can rat me out and I get grounded more than my original punishment!

“Please don’t tell anyone! I already promised that I would do this for him and I don’t want to disappoint him! Please promise me you won't tell mom and dad! If they knew I was doing this I would never be able to see him again! I BEG YOU!” I said groveling at my sister's hooves, I could feel my life taking the worst turn ever, I would never see Whooves, I will have to stay near Daydream forever! And no one will ever like me again! my mind went into utter shock, tears went into my eyes as I kept begging and whimpering to my sister knowing that it wouldn’t work. I knew that most of this was just for not seeing Whooves mostly, but there was also a deep feeling of fear, I know I say that Daydream and I got along better, but still she does demand things from me, just less. And I really need a break from her already.

“Alright, alright! I won't tell mom and dad,” Daydream said, in defeat mind you, making me very surprised.

“R-really?” I said with bewilderment, I didn’t expect Daydream to not tell mom and dad, especially with a defeating voice.

“Yeah… it looks like you like this pony, so I will let you off the hoof. Just this once!!!” Daydream screamed at me, I should have been cheered but I am more confused than anything.

“Why are you doing this?” I finally asked.

“Because you look like you are doing something nice and I think that it is really sweet,”

“um… okay?” I said, getting back up to my hooves and calming myself.

“Well I should go, it looks like you have a plan, so I will let you get to it, and if you need help, then I will help you.” Daydream said with a strange smile that almost looked like it was meant to be sweet. After she left I stared for a while with my eyes like saucers. Did my sister want to help me? and not for anything but to just be nice! I must be having a nightmare or a really weird dream.

I couldn’t really get what had just happened, but after a bit more thinking, I just took it as a strange thing that had been going on for a while. She was talking to me for some time, she was being nice to me, and she was willing to help! This was going to be a strange month.

-*-

I went into my observatory and smiled at my achievement. I had put in some constellation posters and some glowing stickers that my sister decided to get, a large lamp and a few books of adventure, the hammock had a soft pillow and at least three different blankets, it was hard to find anything for the windows but finally, I found a few panes from “Dots pane and drape store,” (great coincidence huh?) and I found great drapes that are dark royal blue, I thought maybe I could paint the room a dark color so it could bring out so many of the colors of the constellations. Also about those, I put in some lights just so it could look like the actual night sky! I was so proud of myself I even slept in it once. And it was even more comfortable than my room!

“I hope he likes it,” I said with some concern, I grew very worried. As if Whooves was moving in with me!

The month seemed to be going by alright, for now. I had noticed less of Whooves however, it made me wonder where he goes sometimes, but now I couldn’t think like that, my punishment was almost over. I could think then.

I went into my room and looked around it. Plain walls, nothing to squeal at, and it made me frown. Maybe I could make my room a bit better, it was fun designing a room that I liked instead of my parents making it for me. I never asked for a change, but maybe now would be a good time.

I sighed, it was lonely in the house, while Daydream may have gotten a punishment as well, she could still see a few of her friends, and what’s more, is that they decided today would be a perfect day to have a get-together.

So here I was, lonely as ever on a Saturday, wishing I had sompony else to talk to, but now just looking outside, wishing and dreaming of the day that everything will be okay and back to normal. My imagination came in as I looked out the window and I could see me and Whooves just hanging out as we used to. Looking up at the night sky, laughing at each other for something stupid. I smiled as the thoughts went to high as I saw myself leaning against the Doctor, and he just smiles and does the same. We looked at each other like we always did before and I could feel myself blushing at the scene I made. Soon though, my mind began to get a bit intense as me and my crush fell and I began to see maturity in my mind, a little kiss brought onto a tongue and I blushed brightly as I could feel him around me. Finally, the thoughts ran away with me as he began a feeling of love and compassion as his mouth ran down to my…

I shut the window hard and tried to control my breathing. Never had I ever had thoughts like that, I knew I liked him but I never had a dirty mind like that, even when we were close. I knew something was going on, I could feel something inside of me ever since we kissed. A side of me that was kept out long ago. And even as I say that it is bad to have thoughts of maturity. I smiled. I am falling hard aren’t I, I thought.

The door to the front of the house opened causing me to jump, I heard giggled laughter and my smile faded away. Daydream's friends were coming up with her and I tried my best to keep that smile.

“Oh look who’s little sister has come out to play,” One of the mares, Diamond Rough, a light blue earth pony with a bright purple mane that was curled to perfection, and a small pink diamond as a cutie mark. She was the worst spoiled brat in the group who spoke with much sarcasm. You can see how hard it was to smile.

“Aww, are you lost? Do you need your big sissy to come help you to your room?” another mare, Sweet Spot, a magenta mare with a bright and vibrant color of blue and red tied up into a very clean and pristine ponytail. Her cutie mark was of two red strawberries inside of a glass of champagne. (she is probably the only one who agrees with everypony that is superior to her).

“Actually if I was lost, I would rather spend my time in a forest full of wild manticores than be led by a bunch of stupid unemployed mares who think they are better than everyone else,” I said in full confidence. I had learned long ago to not let these mares get under my skin, as long as I made the right comment, they would leave me alone for the rest of the night.

As said, they went to Daydream's room and began talking some more, leaving me alone once again.

I locked the door making sure that no one could come and check on me. Once again alone. I could hear the others in my sister’s room and felt sad. Why can’t anyone laugh with me like that. why does no one but Doctor understand me?

I sighed and decided maybe doing something other than sulking would be better. I went up into the attic again and saw if there was something that I could find. Opening it up, I looked around the cobwebs and many spiders. I began to rummage around and see if there was anything that I could at least comprehend with. My right eye fell upon a little recorder that seemed interesting to me. I had always wanted one of these when I was in a phase of my life (a phase where I couldn’t help but listen to music for every day of the week). So in my light of life, I decided to take it to my room. I had also found (in my high of luck) an album that looked to be of Journeigh, Michael Jack, and Flashtrot! I smiled and took those gladly. And soon was back into my room, less lonely than before.

I put the item on the floor and looked at the recorder and began to play around with it. Soon I smiled in appreciation as I heard it turn on. Why did my mom hate these things? they are so easy to understand. I took out an album from Journeigh and began to put it in. this was when I heard a loud sound that came blasting out “Don’t be unbelievers”, I turned it down enough so that the other mares in the other room could not yell at me about the ‘old hippie music’ that they are hearing from their ears.

The song kept going and I smiled at the lyrics. I had always loved this song when I was 13, it made me know that I couldn’t just give up faith, and it was also a really good song to dance to. I felt my body move and wander through my room. One good thing about not having so many items in my room, I have enough space to dance my heart out. I felt myself move to the beat and began to sing aloud as well. It made some memories come back from when I was younger and didn’t care who was watching me, and when I lifted myself off from the floor doing a simple Flashtrot move (It did not go well). I was hovering as the guitar solo came into view and I began to play air guitar. I had never felt so alive! It was almost as if my childhood was coming back to me!

That is… until I could hear snickering behind me and I looked back. I fell on my back hurting my wings and making the laughter harder. My eyes could see both Diamond Rough and Sweet Spot laughing their heads off, I blushed of embarrassment wishing that they would just stop, yet they kept going.

“Oh, that is just what we needed to see all day!” Sweet Spot said falling to the floor not being able to catch her breath.

“So that is your purpose! To make others laugh at your dumb doings!” Diamond Rough said copying what Sweet Spot was doing.

I felt like crying right then, and then I saw Daydream, and a frown was put upon her. They soon were done with their giggling at my shenanigans and calmed down, leaving talking back at me. I looked at Daydream with pleading eyes, and she just stood there, with nothing but a sigh, and left the door closed. Right then was when I cried.

I hate them! I hate her! No one can help me. No one will! Why can’t they just see that I want to be more than a little klutz! WHY… WHY, WHY, WHY!!! soon I began to gather myself and sniffled a little bit before I turned off the recorder and went into my bed, the sun rays from my window were near my pillows so that when I went to them, the sun came into my eyes, it took a while for them to adjust, but I soon could see again, but that didn’t matter, I just closed my eyes and dreamed. I needed a nap.

However, that was just not possible. For Daydreams friends were back at it, gossiping about the many asinine things that they find so funny. So, in my defeat, I decided to read something, when I had remembered the scrapbook that I had found earlier in the month. My curiosity coming to me, I picked it up from under my bed, and I began to go through it. What surprised me was that it was full of pictures of me.

The scrapbook’s first page to be factual was of me as a small baby. Unfortunately, with age, the pictures looked too blurry to make out some of the ponies that I saw, but I assumed who they were. My mother was holding me with a bright pink blanket that looked like it belonged to a mid-wife. I couldn’t see it, but it looked like my mother had on such a bright smile. I didn’t see Daydream anywhere, but I assumed that she did not want to be near me (typical). My father must have been taking the picture because he wasn’t in there either.

I flipped through the pages and noticed that there were a lot of pictures as me of a baby. And little bags of my first tooth and hair were pinned onto them. Some comments were from my dad. “always my little star” and “shine bright and be yourself”. Tears began to pour down my face as I read them. Why did this get put away? I thought.

As I kept flipping I noticed a letter that was written, and after that, there was nothing else. I wanted to see what was in that letter, yet strangely I felt compelled to see what was inside. Something was keeping me from seeing that letter. I decided not to let it get to me. If it was important then I would know it. I decided to put the scrapbook away for now and take that nap. It was darker now and I was able to sleep away my blues. The letter was still in my mind a little bit but I didn’t put it much to mind. I was just dreaming of the day that I could see my friend and we can finally go back to the way things were. And I smiled as my dreams felt real.

Author's Note:

this chapter, to me, could be considered filler. This was around the time of my major writer's block, so it really isn't that great. The only part that is kind of important is the beginning and end, but I knew I had to make this more than just, she finishes the observatory and finds her scrapbook. Also, I felt like making Daydream somewhat more included. (because she needs some development)