• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 5,878 Views, 204 Comments

The Student from Warpla - SparkStone



A new student from a Human tribe goes to the School of Friendship on a mission. As he makes friends, he learns more about himself as well as the world around him.

  • ...
10
 204
 5,878

Part 6 - Title

Another day in Twilight’s class begins with the teacher and a test for all of her students to take. Gallus and Smolder groan in agony as Spike gives the stack of test sheets to pass around.

“I’ll tell you when to begin the test,” Twilight reminded everyone.

At first it seemed that everyone had a copy of a test. That was until Dragon Slayer raised his hand and called the teacher.

“I’m afraid I didn’t get one, Professor Princess Miss Twilight Sparkle.”

“Just… Professor is fine, when we’re in class,” Twilight assured him. She turned to Spike and said, “Can you give Dragon Slayer his test, Spike?”

Spike clasped the paper in his claws and slowly looked at the tall human waiting in his seat. He still looked pretty intimidating, but Spike had a job to do! He inched closer and closer to the human as he reached his claw out for Dragon to get the paper. Alas, it was still too far away. Dragon began reaching out as well, the paper just only touching his finger tips. However, it seemed as if Spike had lost his wit and began backing away from Dragon, making it harder to get the sheet of paper. Dragon began leaning in farther and farther, still unable to get the test sheet. Twilight called out Spikes name in a low tone, expressing Spike to regain his senses. In a moment, Gallus sprung up and said, “CAN WE START SO I DON’T FORGET THE NOTES I MEMORIZED?”

Dragon was caught off guard by the sudden outburst and fell towards Spike. The little violet dragon jumped and hit the back of his head on the table, triggering a fireball to shoot out and burn the Dragon’s test sheet and someone's desk. The fire then spread and the entire classroom began to panic. Twilight quickly casts a rain shower spell and douses the room down of fire as well as ink from the tests.


“And the test was cancelled,” Gallus shrugged.

“What happened to Dragon after that?” Ocellus wondered.

“He went to dry off his clothes after that. He was pretty soaked too.”

Meanwhile over with Dragon Slayer, he’s hung up his clothes to dry by a balcony after changing into a different attire. He began to walk to the others but as he ventured forth, he noticed his fellow students avoiding him. He recalled this behavior was due to his intimidating appearance upon arrival. By then, the students didn’t mind him and saw him as just another student. Something is different. Something has changed.

“Dragon!” Starlight calls out. He turns to see a concerned look on her face. “Come with me, this… Prince Risen guy did something you need to know about.”


At the Headmare’s office, Twilight Sparkle and her other companions were having a heavy dispute with Prince Risen. Starlight opens the doors with Dragon Slayer right behind her.

“Ah, good!” Prince Risen said in relief. “Finally, you’ve arrived. Can you please talk some sense to your simple-minded professors?”

“What did you say!?” Rainbow Dash shouts, having to be pulled back by Applejack and Pinkie Pie.

“I don’t understand. What happened?” Dragon questioned. His response was answered by Twilight levitating a sheet of paper with a picture of Dragon himself on it. It listed many things about him. His strengths, his kill count, his achievements, and more. He holds the paper in his hands and sees some of the old mission briefings listed there as well.

“They were found all over the school.” Twilight told him. “We only found out just recently that it was Prince Risen who had them scattered around here.”

Dragon’s heart sank. He looked to Prince Risen as if he was betrayed. But Prince Risen didn’t see it that way.

“I don’t think you understand the justifications of my actions.”

“What good is telling every pony about Dragon he wanted to keep private?!” Applejack scolded at the Prince. A nearby human guard stood in Applejack's way to prevent further escalation, but the Prince brushed his guard aside.

“There’s nothing wrong about being honest with one's past. Information we have on the Dragon Slayer is information we are free to redistribute to anyone we wish.”

The twisted take on honesty made Applejack ripe with rage herself. Dragon continued to stare at the paper, the image of him with a smear of blood from one of his missions successfully wrapped up. “Prince Risen… May I ask why you’ve disclosed this to the public of another land....?”

“I thought about the chief’s plan for a while before I finally understood it,” he said as he walked across the room. “You need to make friends. Allies who will stand by you, no matter what you’re going through… or what you have done.”

Dragon listened to him obediently, yet his chest felt pain as this continued.

“The Dragon Slayer only needs companions who are willing to stay by his side no matter what he has done. They must be able to stomach the facts about him if they are to be worthy of his bond.”

“This isn’t the only way to make friends, Prince Risen.” Twilight warned him. “And this method may make it difficult for Dragon to make friends or may make things difficult for the friends he already has.”

Dragon’s thoughts crawled to the idea of what his friends would think. Could they be friends with him? Could they choose to be friends with a murderer? A cold chill surfaced onto his spine.

“If his so-called ‘friends’ are unable to accept who he is, they’re not worthy of being companions with the Dragon Slayer.”

Dragon’s mind felt like a mess. He was never this troubled when thinking things through. Even when presented a problem with no clear solutions, he would always be able to think rationally and try anything no matter how painful it was physically or embarrassing afterwards.

But this was something different. He felt his chest tighten and his mind racing to so many thoughts. Possibilities of how his friends would react. He felt troubled. He felt trapped. He suddenly walked out of the room and wandered down the hall despite the others calling him.

“Dragon Slayer! Where are you going?” Prince Risen demanded to know, but no response.

“Dragon! Come back!” Twilight called out to him. She looked to the others and said, “Follow him, make sure he’s alright.”

The others nodded and they left to make sure Dragon was okay. Twilight looked to the Prince and dropped the honorifics. “Look what you did to him! You’ve gotten him scared!”

“You should reevaluate your teachings!” Prince Risen rebuked, still keeping his composure but speaking loudly with authority. “You’re obviously making him weaker here.”

Prince Risen headed to the door as well before turning to the Princess of Friendship. “Do keep in mind that he must attend the festivity tonight.”

“As he is right now?!” Twilight exclaimed. “He needs time to think!”

“That is on you. He was in your care and if he certainly has improved since his first visit, then he wouldn’t have responded so poorly to such trivial matters.”

He leaves Twilight who is worried about the human student.


The six were walking around together, wondering what to have for lunch. They threw around ideas such as sugarcube Corner, the diner, Hayburgers, and the one really fancy restaurant.

“Maybe we should wait for Dragon before we decide?” Sandbar suggested.

“Where the heck is he anyways?” Gallus wondered as he looked around. “I haven’t seen him since class.”

As they wondered about the whereabouts of their friend, Silverstream spotted a sheet of paper on the ground. She picks it up and inspects it. The contents then made her gasp. “Guys! You need to see this!”

The others crowd around and see it.

The Dragon Slayer

Modifications: Enhanced Strength, Enhanced Durability, Speed Manipulation, Precision Accuracy, Concealment Training, Exceptional Adaptability

Kill Count: 27

Missions: 156

Mission Brief A-06 declassification: The Dragon Slayer stood his ground defending an outpost after his platoon abandoned their post. His size and age made it very easy for enemies to approach him without knowing his true abilities. He captured most of them and only killed two deadly opponents when they didn’t comply with surrendering.

Several more mission briefings were listed after that one. Stories of his actions and decisions. Gruesome tales more so for his victims than himself.

The six were shocked as they skimmed through it. A list of things Dragon had done. They looked around to see the other students talking about it as well, most of the school had their own sheet regarding Dragon Slayer. Before they knew it, he was there right before them. He was breathing heavily as he saw them hold the sheet of paper right in front of them.

“Dragon, wait!” Rarity called out to him.

Dragon looked behind him to see the teachers running to him. His heart was still racing and his mind was still in overdrive. He didn’t do as he was told for once. He started running from both of them.

“What’s going on?!” the confused Sandbar questioned.

“We better go after him!” Smolder stated as she began to fly after him.

He kept running away from them, not quite sure where to go. He just didn’t want them to see him as he was. Rainbow decided to stop with the running and began flying. She flew quickly to his position and blocked the way. However, when he ran up to her, he suddenly reappeared right behind her before he continued off, unhindered.

“What the hay!?” She spoke, completely confused.

“Hold on, I got em’!” Applejack stated as she threw her lasso at him.

The lasso wraps around him but he doesn’t stop running. Applejack thought she had a good grip until she found herself surfing on the floor. He wasn’t stopping at all, and the rope didn’t take long before it snapped apart and dropped her to the floor.

“He’s unstoppable!” Fluttershy squealed.

“Then we’re just gonna have to surround him!” Smolder said to everyone. The two groups worked together to catch Dragon who wasn’t thinking straight.

They began splitting up in an effort to corner the speeding human. Corridor after corridor would be blocked off, but he wouldn’t stop. He was dashing past ponies and jumping over or slipping past even Pinkie and Rarity. Starlight couldn’t get a good reach on him as he moved too quickly. Despite him not thinking things out very well, his instinct kept pushing him to run away from his problems. No one could keep up and hold him down. Even when Rainbow was clearly faster, he would slip by every time. Finally, they reached the second floor before they finally had him trapped. He turned to the windows but even they were blocked off by Gallus and Fluttershy.

“It’s okay,” Starlight told him. “We’re here for you, you don’t need to run anymore...”

His mind was still going overtime. Despite all of that running, he still hasn’t calmed down. He feels like he’s holding back his muscle memory from striking at his teachers or his friends since his blood pressure felt like it has skyrocketed.

“You don’t need to worry about those papers or the prince.” She assured him, not knowing those were apparently trigger words. “Just come here-”

One step back, the reach of Starlight’s magic was out of bounds. Turn to the floor and land fist into the ground. Twist fist and manipulate the dust using strength enhancement to blind all targets surrounding you.

Attack back-
Aim for-
Escape.

Everyone was blinded. Gallus and Fluttershy couldn’t see what was happening through the windows, only that dust had clouded the room. When it finally settled down, a large hole was in the place where Dragon was. Rainbow flew through the hole and scouted the perimeter, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“He’s gone!” She informed the others. They looked at each other, worried about Dragon. Whatever he’s going through, they can’t seem to reach him. His friends grow even more concerned at their human friend before going to the teachers.

“What happened to him?”


Hours have passed since the chase failed. The teachers and his friends looked everywhere they could think of. He’s nowhere to be found at his house, the town, or the school. In other words, they’ve completely lost him. The six feel utterly defeated that they couldn’t help Dragon with the problem scrawled across the school. They were moping around in the Treehouse of Harmony.

“I can’t believe that Risen Jerk Prince!” Silverstream shouted in annoyance.

“I thought they were supposed to be on the same side?” Sandbar commented. “I mean, doesn’t Dragon and Risen work for the same Tribe?”

“Could have fooled me.” Gallus retorted.

“Where do you think he went?” Smolder wondered.

“We checked everywhere we could think of, but we haven’t found a trace of him since then!” Ocellus pointed out.

“And Dragon is fast too! Too fast!” Yona reminded them.

Gallus was in agreement there. “Yeah, the way he moved around, it was like-”

“Like he was an acrobat?” Silverstream finished.

“I was gonna say, ‘like he didn’t want us around’.”

The others were saddened by the thought of that. But despite that possibility being pretty accurate with what just happened, Silverstream stood up against that claim. “I don’t believe that.”

“Well, how else do you look at it? He clearly ran away from us.” Gallus reminded her.

“Yeah, but I don’t think it’s just because he didn’t want us around. We’re his friends!” Silverstream told them. “He spent time with us because he felt relaxed when we’re with him. He was happy when we got together! There’s gotta be something else!”

“Well, until we find him, we’re not gonna be able to do anything about it.” Smolder reminded her.

Ocellus thought about it for a while. Perhaps there is a way to reach him.

“Twilight mentioned that there’s a party tonight for the Tribe Chief, right?” She recalled. “He seems to have a lot of respect for him. Maybe if we go to him, we can ask about Dragon?”


“You cannot speak with the Chief!” Prince Risen told the six students. “He’s far too busy to worry about your prattle!”

“But this is about Dragon!” Smolder told him.

“Ah, yes! I’ve heard that the Dragon Slayer has escaped all of your wit at once!” the Prince recalled with a light chuckle. “It seems that this school has at least not hindered his physical ability much. Though, it’s not surprising seeing that his opponents were six children and six overpraised teachers.”

The six really didn’t like the prince’s puffed up attitude with them or their teachers. The six left the prince of nuisance and discussed amongst themselves about how to resolve the issue.

“What now?” Yona questions. “Human Prince is a big jerk!”

“Ahem” a voice calls out, grabbing their attention. They turn to see it was Chewka, the human who sent messages to and from Dragon Slayer. For some reason, he was wearing colorful clown attire with large blue boots and a pink nose to go along with his white makeup. “Do you wish to know the whereabouts of Master Dragon Slayer?”

“Yes! Yes we do!” Silverstream told him before she squeezed the nose. “Sorry! too hard to resist!”

“I believe I know his location, but...” He leaned closer and continued. “I’ve never seen him under so much distress in my life. He seems to only allow my company, still concerned for the Chief and any message he may need to receive.”

“If we go to him, do you think he’ll run away?” Sandbar questioned.

“If you all go, he’ll most likely run.” He stated. “But if only one of you were to go and get close enough before he gets suspicious, that may be your chance to talk to him.”

“Well, how’re we gonna do that?” Gallus wondered.


Dragon was sitting at the edge of the school roof. The moon was high up, and the party for the king may have started. He had his duties, but he felt distant from it. For once in his life, he had no deep desire to do anything in particular. He was at a loss of what to do. Behind him, Chewka shows up once more donning the ridiculous outfit.

“The sound of those shoes is really awkward.” Dragon noted as Chewka got closer.

“My apologies, Master Dragon.” he responded.

As Chewka got closer, Dragon looked to him. His gaze stared deep into his eyes. Dragon got up and said, “Stop right there.”

He stopped in his tracks. Dragon continued to stare until he turned around and was ready to jump.

“WAIT!” Chewka yelled, voice completely different. Even though their cover was blown Dragon complied. He turned to see Chewka transform into Ocellus.

“Ocellus...” He muttered.

“Y-You weren’t really going to jump off the roof just to avoid talking to me, were you?” Ocellus questioned.

“... I don’t know...” He said unsurely. “I would have survived though.”

Ocellus sighed, relieved that he finally calmed down. She walked over to him and got him to sit down with her.

“Dragon, why’d you run away from us?” Ocellus asked.

Dragon looked up at the moon, as if perhaps his answers were in front of him. Just a tad out of reach. “I’m not sure… When all of the students started avoiding me because of what they found out, I was.... Troubled. The papers were everywhere, and I knew it wouldn’t be long until all of you found out about it.”

“Why were you worried about us finding out?”

“You all aren’t like me. I’ve done things I’m not proud of.” Dragon admitted.

“You did them for your Tribe, didn’t you?”

“That’s what I told myself. I told myself it was for the good of the Tribe. The good for the Chief. My own people. And yet, when the students were afraid of me, because of what I’ve done, I was worried about what you would think. That I’m some sort of killer who’d do anything for the Tribe. I’ve already told you about everything I’d do for them, and now you know murder isn’t far from that list.”

“... It’s okay, Dragon.” Ocellus assured him. “The others can accept you despite all of that.”

“I can’t imagine it.” he said in a defeated attitude. “Even my own people avoided me. I haven’t worked with another person ever since I had to continue the operation alone when my platoon abandoned me. When I returned to the tribe, I never worked with anyone else again. Prince Risen said that no one was worthy to stand alongside the Dragon Slayer.”

“But they have made friends with someone who has done bad things.” Ocellus told him. “The Changelings were not always kind. We survive off of Love from other creatures and use it to survive. That was our way of life since the beginning. It wasn’t long ago before we were free to choose another path. To share love and be friends to others. We hurt so many ponies and creatures before. I remember very well...”

“Ocellus...” Dragon muttered, not expecting such a response.

“But despite my people’s history… Despite what I’ve probably done in the past, they accepted me! And I’m sure they’ll accept you too! It wasn’t that long ago when we were doing things we would rather forget. But that just means it’s not too late to make friends.”

The words clung onto Dragon’s own heart. He never knew the history of his friends or what they’ve been through. He realized that his friends were much stronger than he thought. Their hearts all in the right place. He wanted to take a chance to see if it was true. That they’re thoughts were as pure as can be. He turned to the Changeling and said to her...

“I want to see the others.”


Chewka walks the kids back to the party. When they return, they see the Chief and the Princesses of Equestria sitting at the far end of the room. Prince Risen is yelling angrily at one of the waiters near the kitchen. Twilight and the other teachers spot Dragon and rush over to him.

“Dragon! Are you alright?” Twilight asked with growing concern.

“I’m alright, Professor.” He told her. “I apologize for the trouble I’ve caused.”

“It’s alright, sugarcube,” Applejack assured him. “Though, you did give us a good run for our money!”

“You have got to tell me how you did that vanishing thing!” Rainbow told him.

Dragon chuckled nervously before his gaze turned to the chief. “I have something I’d like to request from my Chief. I’d like to do so before the night ends.”

“You sure it’s okay?” Smolder asked him. “We’re all fine with it, you know.”

“Maybe, but now that I’m thinking for myself for once, I have my own thoughts about it.” He stated. “I’m sure it’s reasonable with him.”

Dragon goes off alone to the Chief. As he gets closer, the Chief and princesses spot him.

“Ah, Dragon Slayer! How are you?” The Chief greeted him.

“Chief, it’s a pleasure to see you again and an honor being chosen to enlist in this School upon your approval.”

“We’ve heard what a wonderful young boy you are, Dragon,” Princess Celestia told him.

“Indeed, your achievements are great and memorable,” Princess Luna followed.

“It gives me great pleasure hearing that from the rulers and teacher of my professor.”

“Enough honorifics, now!” The Chief laughs. He sits up straight and continues. “Is there something on your mind, Dragon Slayer? I’ve heard you were not in the right of mind today.”

“I’ve gone through a lot since my time here,” Dragon said, telling a brief summary of the story. “I learned a lot about others and myself. Through that end, I have something I wanted to request.”

“Oh?” The chief spoke. “You’ve never requested anything from me, and declined most of my gifts. What is it that you desire?”

“Chief, I would like to request...”

Windows suddenly cracked and broke apart. The students looked up high to see the chandelier rock back and forth before falling and smashing to the floor. The floor quaked and the six kids and teachers were looking around in shock.

“What’s happening!?” Spike shouted, confused by the events.

The ceiling caves and ponies run out of the way as a flying beast, taking the form of a dragon but full of fur and strange etches of ink on its surface. In its claws is a large spear with blue glowing inscriptions as well. It then throws the spear directly at the Chief. Princess Celestia quickly jumps in front and creates a magical barrier.

“Stand back!” She warns them as she reinforces the barrier.

“No! That spear has runes for magic disruption!” The Chief told her, trying to move her away.

The spear strikes and easily cracks the barrier. As soon as it shatters, it strikes in deep through the flesh.

On Princess Celestia, was Dragon Slayer, his lifeless body lies on top of her.

Author's Note:

To anyone who saw it before, I made a typo on the ridiculous amount of missions Dragon slayer had.
Originally: 256
Now: 156