• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 5,848 Views, 204 Comments

The Student from Warpla - SparkStone



A new student from a Human tribe goes to the School of Friendship on a mission. As he makes friends, he learns more about himself as well as the world around him.

  • ...
10
 204
 5,848

Part 14 - Train

Prince Risen stares down at Smolder and her friends in the school. The six gave the Prince the stink eye as Chewka and Valiant stood by waiting patiently for the events to pass. Finally, he walks by each of them and hands out a letter of invitation.

“You are all cordially invited to the festival being held in Manehattan in the coming night,” the Prince tells them. “You’re expected to each have your own invitation to enter and behave in accordance to the instructions written in the invitations.”

“Thanks...” Smolder said disingenuously.

“Be grateful for Dragon Sl-... Valiant, for without him you would have no such opportunity.” He scoffed before quickly leaving them.

Once out of sight, the students quickly checked their letters of invitation. It included train tickets, a stay at a fancy hotel, and a Desert Rose pressed into a card.

“Ooh! It still has the smell!” Silverstream exclaimed.

“It pleases me to know that you’ll be accompanying Master Valiant to the Honorary Dune Star Cultural Exchange.” Chewka stated.

“So what’s there to do at the party?” Yona asked Valiant.

“I believe we’ll be seeing traditional activities and goods from my homeland there.” Valiant answered. “There’ll be dancing and lots of food. Food that I honestly would… prefer not to eat.”

“Why’re they holding it in Manehattan?” Gallus questioned.

“This culture exchange may attract some businesses to purchase our homeland’s goods. We hope to build an economical standing here and fund our tribe.” Chewka answered.

“This sounds pretty exciting! I’ve never been to Manehatten before!” Ocellus mentioned.

“I heard they have a lot of places to shop!” Silverstream thought about all of the restaurants she could eat at with Valiant. “We should get a guide to the city!”

“So! You’re all going to Manehattan!” Twilight deduced as she and Spike entered their conversation.

“That’s correct Miss Twilight,” Valiant confirmed. “Prince Risen is holding it there to show more of our culture.”

“I see!” Twilight nodded. “While you’re there, be sure to respect your chaperones and follow them closely.”

“Don’t worry guys!” Spike saluted them. “I’ll keep you safe!”

“Extra help is always welcome,” Chewka said to his chaperone partner.

“Ooh! I can’t wait until we go!” Silverstream said in excitement.

“I hope they have some gems I can sink my teeth into!” Smolder thought.

“I’m just glad we can get some time to ourselves when we head over there,” Gallus sighed in relief.

“Oh? I did hear that you’ll be staying there for a while,” Twilight smiled. “You weren’t perhaps thinking just because you won’t be at school for a while that you wouldn’t have any assignments during your personal break, did you?”

The seven students' eyes shrank as Twilight levitated piles of papers and folders consisting of projects and homework from each of their classes. They shrieked in terror as it flew right above them.


The students were riding in the train, their bodies lying on the seats and the floor after managing to pack their personal belongings. This included their mountain of work to be done during their stay in Manehattan. Chewka remains firm, standing by the end of the train next to the emergency exit. The only one who wasn’t clonked out was Valiant who was still diligently looking over the papers carefully.

“You actually have the energy to do all of that?” Sandbar muttered from his near-dead state.

“It isn’t the worst thing to have happened to me,” Valiant stated. “I much prefer these over the missions in the desert.”

“Hey! All of the expenses are paid for, right?” Smolder asked Chewka who nodded to confirm her curiosity. “Sweet! Let’s get some lunch!”

“Oh! What should we get?” Sandbar wondered.

“Yona wants food too!” She shouted.

“Fancy Train food, Valiant!” Silverstream screamed at him in excitement as she grabbed his shoulders. “We HAVE to eat there!”

As the students gather their energy to check out the dining car, Chewka taps Spike’s shoulder to get his attention. “Please accompany them to make sure they don’t cause trouble. I’ll remain here and watch over their belongings.”

“Roger that!” Spike saluted to the human adult, happy to go and eat with the others.

The kids raced off passing through the train cars, passing by rich folk of nobility or business owners. Valiant was taking his time to see the surroundings of the train to see the passengers had quite the coin purse with them. Some of the well dressed ponies had their own guard with them.

The ponies with combed manes and some with wigs were quite bothered by the students running through the train cars. As Valiant reached the dining car with his friends, he saw that the private train was quite different with all of the patterned vases and chandeliers in the room. The tables were spaced away from each other giving each guest plenty of elbow space. As Valiant took his seat amongst his companions, he saw that the spacious table had several eating utensils for each of them.

“This place sure is something,” Valiant noted.

“I think it’s kind of stuffy,” Smolder retorted. “Why do we need three different spoons and three different forks?”

“I think some of the utensils are more well suited for certain dishes,” Ocellus explained.

“Does it make them taste better?” Silverstream wondered.

“Doubtful,” Gallus responded in a dry tone.

The waiter approaches their table with a menu on hoof. He gives it to each of the students and their chaperone, Spike. “What will you be having with us on this trip?”

“Do you have any gems?” Spike asked the unamused waiter. “No?”

“Hey, what’s the most expensive thing you got on this car?” Smolder asked with a smirk, milking the trip’s generosity.

“Do you have anything sweet?” Valiant wondered.

The kids eventually decided on what they wanted to eat and prompted the waiter to tell the chefs. As they waited for their food, they discussed their plans upon reaching Manehattan.

“There’s a lot of places we can’t find in Ponyville there!” Sandbar informed them. “There’s a Dance club, a Fashion show, and even a Little Las Pegasus!”

“Those sound like places older ponies would go to,” Gallus commented.

“A Dance club!?” Silverstream exclaimed. “Does that mean they have a lot of music!? We should totally go there!”

“Sounds like it’ll be a racket,” Smolder retorts. She looked away and thought about one of the places mentioned earlier however.

As the kids were talking, Valiant overheard a conversation nearby. One of the glamorously dressed rich ponies was making complaints behind their back.

“Out of all the days we ride first class, some pony brings their children?” He sneers.

“Oh please, them?” His mare remarked. “There’s only one colt with them. Any pony who would have children like them must be out of their mind.”

“Perhaps they're riding first class for some kind of show. I heard the zoo is open in Manehattan today.”

Valiant glared at the laughing ponies before realizing his friends had overheard them as well. They all seemed to have quieted down and looked pretty glum. Smolder and Gallus were more annoyed than depressed however.

“Maybe we should bring our food to our car...?” Ocellus suggested. Spike Pats her on the back to comfort her.

“We’re not going anywhere,” Smolder declared. “If they have a problem with us, they’ll say it in front of our faces.”

Valiant smiled at Smolder’s bravado. “She’s right. They just don’t know how great you all really are.”

His companions smiled with renewed vigor with Ocellus and Silverstream blushing slightly. The waiter finally returns with their food, and the group begins to chow down.


In the air was a flying contraption resembling that of a ship. It’s hull and frame is made of metal with a massive balloon carrying the vessel. It’s propelling fan blades roar as they whirl the body forward. On this mechanical monstrosity were beings standing on two feet. They come wearing roguish outfits with pirate coats and saggy pants. Boots and sandals with some wearing tricorn hats and bandannas to fit their bandit image.

“Bunch of rich folk on that one,” One of the crewmen stated. “Ponies AND a train of good stuff!”

“Don’t forget that there are bodyguards there as well,” the purple anthropomorphic cat captain reminded his subordinates. His eyes of gleaming gold on his left and sapphire blue on his right inspected his men and their readiness. He pulls out a red telescope from his matching red captain’s coat with gold trim to check on the train and the distance. He grins as he knows how to safely take what they need.

“Hey, you’re not gonna just cut back on the plan just because of a few measly guards, are you Whiskers?” His gray wolf partner in crime questioned. She had deep blue eyes and a blue bandana with a vertical striped shirt. She takes out her own blue telescope from her black shorts and counts the cars of the train. “One, two, FIVE trains of ponies that Vergo would absolutely love to pay for.”

“We don’t have the time or the luxury to house all of those hostages onto our ship,” He reminded her sternly. “Too many live cargo, especially if they can fight back, will have the opposite effect of what we want.”

“Ah, but if they can fight back, they sell even better!” She stated, hoping to taunt him into her way of handling the skirmish.

The captain sighs and says, “Only if they’re good catches. If it’s just some snobbish equine, they’ll be more of a nuisance with their wailing than they’re worth. We want something unique.”

She smiles proudly and salutes her captain much more respectful than a moment ago. “Aye aye, Captain Shade!”

Shade smirks as he looks to the train getting closer and closer. “At ease, Graya.”


“Alright, I’m stuffed,” Smolder stated, satisfied with the meal. “I’m gonna head back and take a nap.”

“There’s still so much we haven’t tried yet!” Silverstream informed Valiant. “Look at all of these cakes!”

The human eyes the decorative and delicious looking treats, making his mouth water. “... I suppose trying them all wouldn’t hurt.”

“Well you two do that,” Gallus says, holding back a chuckle. “We’re going back to our car.”

“Um… See you guys later!” Ocellus waves.

Spike walked with the kids back to their train car. Silverstream and Valiant look over the menu to see what they’re going to eat next.

As Spike’s group walks through two cars, they start to notice something strange.

“What’s that noise?” Gallus pointed out.

Meanwhile, over at the student’s car, Chewka looks up at the ceiling, pondering at what was so close to the train.

Above the train was the flying ship right above the roof. Captain Shade called his men to go into their respective groups.

“You’ll strike from the back of the train!” He tells one group of an anthropomorphic pig, a diamond dog, and a lizardfolk.

He points to Graya and her two men. “You take the front. My team will be in the middle.”

Everyone in the dining car began looking up at the ceiling. Silverstream and Valiant exchanged concerned looks. Moments later, the windows crash open and in comes Graya with two of her Diamond Dogs. The pony guard brought out their spear and rushed the three intruders. Graya then puts on metal gauntlets, reaches out to the spear and pulls it from the guard’s mouth. She then kicks him in the head to knock him out. The snobbish passengers screamed as Valiant brought Silverstream behind him.

“Alrights, hands… I mean, hoofsies up!” She orders them. “Don’t worry, we’ll mostly be taking just your valuables. If you’re good, maybe we won’t just take you too!

Over at the car where the rest of the students were was being infiltrated as well. The ceiling is cut open by two lizardfolk and enters the room as they loom over the kids. The door between the cars was opened and enters the scene was Captain Shade.

“Don’t struggle and we’ll take it easy on you all.” He tells the passengers.

Meanwhile, Chewka watches as the bipedal pig, Diamond Dog, and Lizardman bursts into the room through the windows. The three check the human and smile menacingly.

“Whoa, look at that!” the pig calls out. “We’re SURE to get paid well for selling that!”

“Hey, give yourself up easy, alright?” The Diamond Dog suggested.

“We don’t want to damage the merchandise,” the lizardman stated.

Chewka takes out two white gloves and equips them onto his hands. “Anything else you’d like to tell me while I punish you three?”


Over in the dining car, the rich ponies were obediently lined up against the wall as they gave up all of their bits on hand and any jewelry. Graya kept kicking the tables over to weed out any hiders as she inspects each and every pony to determine their worth. Valiant and Silverstream stood by the wall, hoping not to get noticed.

“What do we do?” Silverstream asked Valiant.

Valiant checked the situation, understanding that they may just be robbers. He and Silverstream don’t have anything on hand that has value, so he may be able to talk things out. However, they’re armed and were able to take out a guard in a single stroke. If worst comes to shove…

Valiant pulls Silverstream back. “I won’t let them harm you.”

Silverstream calms down a bit, seeing that Valiant has remained strong for her. As Graya walks past the robbed riches, she looks at the Hippogryph and Human.

“Well! Color me surprised!” She exclaims as she checks the two out. “You’re not like us… Bipedal, no fur, shaved monkey?”

Valiant remains silent, eyeing the wolf girl. One of the Diamond Dogs raises their paw. “I think it’s one of them humans from the pony news!”

“Humans!” She says the name out loud, a disturbing shivering emanates as she holds herself tightly. “Those guys are rare. As rare as Hippogriffs who only recently came out of hiding! Speaking of which...”

She walks over to Silverstream, her eyes dig into her soul as she smiles menacingly. “You’re a Hippogriff, aren’t you?”

Silverstream’s eyes shrink as she backs up even further. Graya laughs maniacally, completely pleased by the results. “I came here thinking maybe one or two ponies would be worth taking with us, only to find a JACKPOT! A Human and a Hippogriff outside of their isolated turfs! Oh, sweet poetic justice!”

She simmers down from her happy gushing moment before she flicks her hand to the two. “Take em’. Wrap them up and put them in the ship.”

One of the Diamond Dogs grabs Silverstream’s arms and pulls out a rope from his belt. Silverstream screamed as Graya began walking to the next car. Two loud cracks followed by a thud from each echoes across the room. Before Graya could even pull the door handle, she turns around and sees Valiant in his battle phase. The Diamond Dog accomplices were knocked out and on the ground.

“Oh?” She grins at the human boy. “We got a fighter now, do we?”


The guards of the wealthy ponies attacked Shade, only to be thwarted as he slithers through their attacks and taps their throat. He knocks out the guards and holds his chin, thinking of their performance.

“Mmm, ten for effort, two for execution,” He taunts the unconscious ponies. He looks up to see a baby dragon, a teenage dragon, a griffon, a changeling, a Yak, and a pony together. He smiles and rubs his chin some more. “Well now… What do we have here?”

Author's Note:

You know, I almost completely forgot that those anthropomorphic creatures from that movie were a thing.

And the fact that there was unicorn horns and ponies literally being sold. Which is pretty weirdly dark considering that it was a movie for MLP.