• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 5,844 Views, 204 Comments

The Student from Warpla - SparkStone



A new student from a Human tribe goes to the School of Friendship on a mission. As he makes friends, he learns more about himself as well as the world around him.

  • ...
10
 204
 5,844

Part 9 - Popular

Valiant was finally able to return to school. He and Fluttershy walked to school together since Valiant had been under Fluttershy’s care until his wounds had completely recovered. When they arrived at Valiant’s first class, Fluttershy handed him a lunchbox.

“I packed you an egg sandwich and some of your favorite snacks!” Fluttershy told him, making Valiant’s face blush a bit. “I’ll see you in my class later today!”

Fluttershy flies off to her own class, waving goodbye to Valiant. As Valiant said his temporary farewell, he sees his friends with a pompous smile except for Ocellus and Yona.

“Well, well, well~! What were you and Miss Fluttershy doing walking to school together like that?” Smolder teased as Gallus and Sandbar gave him a light elbow nudge.

“... Be quiet...” Valiant huffed quietly, making the others laugh.

“But seriously though, it’s good to see you again!” Silverstream voiced her glee.

Ocellus nodded in agreement. “Now that all of us are here, we should celebrate Valiant’s full recovery!”

While the group were discussing plans on their little party, some of the students approached Valiant with a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to see the ponies smiling nervously. “Um, mister? You were really something back then!”

“Um… I’m sorry, I don’t quite follow what you’re saying.” Valiant said, squinting at the pony. “Have we met before? I don’t seem to recognize you.”

“Oh, well, we’re in the same classes, but this is the first time we’re talking!” He explained. “Anyway, we-”

The other pony shoved him aside and said, “We thought you were really amazing back there! Protecting our Princess and fighting that beast!”

“We want to hear all about it!”

“Are you free today?”

“Can you tell us more about humans?”

A crowd started to form with all of them clamouring for attention. Valiant was unsure of what to do or say. He never has had this much attention before. Especially since most of his missions back then required him to remain hidden and not attract any eyes.

“Ooh~! Looks like somebody is popular!” Silverstream chimed his sudden leap of recognition.

“You should go meet your fans!” Sandbar cheered on.

“Um… What about the party?” Valiant wondered.

“Don’t worry about it. We’ll still hang out when we list everything we have,” Gallus assured him. “Besides, it looks like you’ll be having a party anyways with a crowd like that!”

Valiant looked to see his new fans, eager to get to know about the humans. Receiving approval from his friends, he gives into the demands of the public.

“We have… some time before class begins. I’ll tell you whatever you’d like to know about my Tribe.”

The crowd cheered before listening in awe to the wisdom of Valiant. His friends smiled and chuckled at their friend responding to the changes in his usual finicky disciplined awkwardness.


Silverstream was walking down the hall looking for Valiant. When she spots the human, she waves at him while flying over.

“Hey Valiant! Are you free later after school? There’s a new smoothie stand that opened up in Ponyville!”

“Oh, that sounds exciting!” Valiant smiled at the prospect. “I’d love to see if they have any flavors Sugarcube Corner doesn’t have.”

“Oh! I’d love that too!” a mare said, suddenly appearing next to them.

“Ooh, what kind of smoothie is your favorite?”

“Do you think other humans would like it?”

“We should go together!”

Another crowd forms full of mares, suggesting to go together. Silverstream was pushed aside as they all were trying to talk with Valiant. It wasn’t long until one pony came with a collection of smoothies balanced all on her back came and offered them to Valiant.

“I saw it earlier today and thought about you since I heard you like sweets! So I bought all of the flavors that Sugarcube Corner didn’t have! Consider it my generous gift!”

“Um… Wow, that’s a bit… Concerning.” he states as one of the ponies passes on one of the smoothies. He took a sip and was savoring the flavors as his face looked like a pleased angel, causing all of the mares to squeal in excitement.

“Oh, pfft,” Silverstream huffed. “I mean, I knew he made that adorable face before it was cool.”


On another day after school, Valiant walked to the library and saw Gallus studying. When the blue griffon turned around, he waved to him to come over.

“Hey, are you about to do the homework too?” He asked.

“That’s right. This one seemed a bit lengthier than usual, so I want to spruce up on all of my references,” Valiant informed him.

“You think you can help me out?” Gallus requested. “You always got good marks since you came here.”

“Sure, I think I can use the help considering-”

“Do you need help!?” Another student questioned, shocking Gallus and Valiant before receiving a hush from the librarian. The stallion continues with an offer. “I can help you out! I have memorized three hundred and sixty references and guides to that assignment.”

“That’s incredible,” Valiant admitted. “I assume that’s your special talent associated with your cutie mark?”

“You sure have a good eye!” the stallion said as he wrapped his hoof around the human’s shoulder. “I can tell we’ll be great study buddies!”

The stallion walked Valiant out of the library, leaving Gallus to wonder what had just happened.


Yona, Sandbar, Ocellus and Valiant were walking to the school yard where all of the sports ponies were working out. The four of them brought a ball to play a few rounds of volleyball. Sandbar and Yona were paired up while Ocellus was teamed with Valiant.

“So, how does this activity play?” Valiant asked the others.

“You just gotta hit it over the net without letting it land on our side,” Ocellus instructed him. “You can’t hold onto the ball and can’t use your hind legs, or for your case, your legs to hit the ball.”

Sandbar serves the ball over the net. Ocellus hits the ball up and Valiant sends it over the net again. Yona stomps on the field as she sends the ball high up into the sky, nearly hitting a pegasus. As it goes down, everyone has a hard time seeing where the ball is and where it's going to land. However, regardless of the conditions, Valiant still managed to see it and follow up with a spike. He scores the point, impressing everyone.

“Wow! Valiant is really good!” Yona cheered, being a good sport.

“I don’t think I could have done anything about that strike!” Sandbar admitted.

“That was amazing! Is this really your first time?” Ocellus asked him.

“I’ve never had an activity like this back home,” Valiant stated. “Then again, I was doing a lot of missions back then and never had time to play such activities.”

“Hey! That was great for a beginner!” A stallion said as he and two other ponies showed up. “Do you think we can go a round with you? We’ve played this a long time and we really want to challenge ourselves with your skills!”

Valiant looked at Ocellus who shrugged. Sandbar and Yona weren’t sure what to say either, but a response had to be made.

“I guess it’s fine?” Sandbar said slowly and unsurely.

“Awesome! You’re a great sport, kid.” A mare said as she smacked his flank and went to her volleyball position.

“Hey, swap out?” another pony said to Ocellus.

“Oh, um… sure…?”

All of the players were swapped out except for Valiant. The strangers and the human played a game before it resulted in his victory, thanks to his apparent underdog skills. Valiant’s friends sighed in relief when the game was over, but were stopped by another completely different pony with a visor shade and sunglasses.

“Hey, wait your turn.” she warned them.

The three gave a confused looked until she pointed at the line that formed to play a match with Valiant. The three dropped their jaws as the line practically reached back to the school.


Smolder was eating an apple while she walked back to class. She then ran into two mares who stopped to look up and see the orange dragon.

“Oh! It’s you!” they said, giggling.

“Um, yeah, so it is,” Smolder responded nonchalantly. “What about it?”

“We heard you spend a lot of time with the human student.” One of them mentioned.

“Yeaah?”

“Wasn’t it frightening hanging out with some creature whose name was originally Dragon Slayer?”

“He didn’t actually slay dragons.” She corrected them, smiling that she knew the real story behind it.

“I thought so!” One of them exclaimed, the two giggle some more.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Smolder questioned, going in for a loop with these two.

“Well, we thought about why you two spent so much time together since he came here!” the mare explains. “But then we realized Dragon Slayer must mean something different! I heard it’s a lingo for those who get together with others very easily.”

“Wait a minute, WHAT!?” Smolder shouted, her face turning red as she showed a serious frown at them.

“I guess that means you two were probably more than just friends!” They laughed as they headed off. Smolder began yelling at them until her language became vulgar enough for Twilight to intervene.


The six friends were laying their tired heads on the lunch table in the cafeteria. They exchanged exhausted looks before confirming something.

“Valiant’s fans?” Gallus guessed.

“Yeah,” Ocellus responded.

“UUUGH, They’re so overbearing!” Silverstream complained. “They bought out all of the smoothies and I didn’t get a chance to try ONE!”

“They reserved all of the space in the school’s yard so that Valiant can show off his sword handling,” Sandbar added.

“They’re spreading weird rumors about me and Valiant!” Smolder growled.

“What rumors?” Yona asked.

“Nothing true!” She hissed.

As they piled on their list of complaints about Valiant’s new fanbase, a human approaches them. He strolls in wearing flashy clothes consisting of a hite suit, a glistening silver cape with golden glitter underneath, and a purple pair of sunglasses to go with the purple vest of the suit. The six look up to see Chewka wearing yet another strange outfit.

“Oh, it’s you,” Ocellus spoke. “We haven’t seen you since the Princesses and your Chief visited.”

“What’s with the getup?” Smolder inquired.

“Miss Rarity has made another attire she wished for me to test. It’s supposed to attract the eyes.” He explained. “I have a message from Valiant, wanting to know when and where the get-together festivity will be.”

“Oh, is he too special to see us now? So he has to send someone else over?” Sandbar assumed, his head resting on his hoof in a bored fashion.

“He is being preoccupied constantly by his new followers,” Chewka informed them.

“No surprise there.” Gallus groaned.

The six of them were frowning, really tired of what they have to put up with revolving around Valiant. Chewka looks at all of them and inspects the matter further. “Are you… perhaps, envious of Valiant?”

“WHAT!? OF COURSE NOT!” They all shouted at once.

“What’s there to be jealous of? So he has a lot of new friends, good for him,” Smolder stated, crossing her arms and pretending not to care.

“Perhaps I phrased it wrong,” Chewka assumed, rewording his question. “Are you jealous of his new friends?”

“Well, it would be great if we could hang out like back then,” Silverstream admitted. “But he seems just as happy with all of those other ponies.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure of that,” Chewka commented.

“If he really feels that way, he’d just come and see us, wouldn’t he?” Gallus reasoned.

“I will admit, those solutions would definitely be much simpler if he had thought about it,” Chewka stated. “But as you are aware, he has very little people skills. Out of all of the missions he’s been on, he was never sent to infiltrate outposts without raising alarm using… charisma. It was either completely unnoticed or completely revealed and fought until there’s no one to notice.”

“Okay, not sure if we needed to hear his charisma factor,” Smolder commented.

“What I’m trying to say is I’ve known and researched Dragon- I mean… Valiant’s behavior and activities long enough to know that he’s changed.”

“Valiant’s new friends make Valiant change!” Yona stated.

“I don’t mean his new hordes of companions,” Chewka told them. “I mean the friends that turned Dragon Slayer into Valiant. He has never in his life, cared about what he had to do or what he would be referred to as. And yet, ever since he came here, he’s smiled, he’s eased off some more, and he even attempted to revoke a sacred name. All while you were all listening to him and got to know the boy who never made small talk with his own brother-in-arms. That is something commendable if not blessed by your friendship.”

The six exchanged guilty looks as they recalled how much they mean to Valiant. Chewka continues. “He does seem content now, but he’s definitely not relaxed around his new friends. They come in packs and ask so many questions at once. They eat up his time and I’m quite certain he has not memorized a single name, but he’s trying desperately to.”

“He… needs help,” Gallus pointed out.

“But where can we take him where the other students can’t find us?” Ocellus wondered.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Yona stated, receiving everyone’s attention.


Valiant was sitting on the bench surrounded by ponies who were sitting down and eagerly listening to him. Valiant has just finished telling them about the Training Hall and the powerful warriors and other classes it has managed to produce. They were in awe by the prospect of another culture and clamoured for more questions to be answered. Valiant was getting tired as well, recalling so much he’s already talked about with others.

“Oh! Oh! What was it like being raised in the Training Hall?” One of them asked.

His mind wandered to how he was like before. He saw the Training Hall as nothing more than a facility that proved necessary for the Tribe’s survival, and had accepted that. But then he remembers what it was like to be cared for not for the sake of survival or honor. To be cared for the sake of one's own kindness. Illogical, and yet something he envied. “It was sufficient enough to gain skills and strengthen yourself. Discipline is almost guaranteed. It does however lack certain… experiences in life.”

“But that’s what helped you beat that trial and get the title, Dragon Slayer, right?” Another mentioned.

“That’s correct. Although, I-”

“Why’d you change that name though? If you ask me, it’s such a cool name!”

“Yeah, I probably don’t mind it now since I know you’re so nice!”

“But don’t you think that your Chief could have given you a different title?”

As a barrage of questions tackled Valiant, he was getting flustered around the touchy topic revolving his name change. A choice he made with his friends when he told them where his title came from. After Ocellus talked to him, he told his six friends because he wanted to change. He didn’t want to change himself for the sake of a better title. He didn’t want his name to be someone who would slay a dragon for his tribe. He wanted the name to be something that his friends would feel more comfortable around. He began to recall that moment.

“Revoking your name?” Ocellus was concerned. “Is that really okay?”

“I’m not bothered by it that much, you know,” Smolder assured him.

“You all have done so much for me ever since I came here.” Dragon stated. “The least I can do is select a new name to refer myself to. One that perhaps you all would like. I’d also offer you the decision on what that name would be… If you’d like.”

“Wow, you sure got guts,” Gallus stated. “We could just pick a silly name you know.”

“I trust your decision,” Dragon assured them. “As long as you all are comfortable with it.”

“Well, since taking back your title is brave and all...” Silverstream thought aloud, considering the choices. “How about something brave? Like Gutsy!”

“Or Bold!” Yona added.

“How about… Valiant?” Sandbar suggested.

Everyone had expressions of delight, hearing that name. It probably was a pony name, but it fit well with the human. Dragon smiled as they all seemed to agree.

“Alright then. When I approach the Chief, I’ll request my title to be… Valiant!”

Valiant’s mind returns to the present as the ponies continue the assault of questions. His head was already spinning at the touchy topics, but soon his worries would be over as Smolder and Chewka emerged from the crowd.

“Alright, make some space!” Smolder told the ponies.

Chewka went up to Valiant and said, “Your presence is required, Valiant. Please follow Smolder so she may direct you to the location.”

“I see. Thank you,” Valiant nodded before his hand was grabbed by Smolder. The two went off while the ponies began complaining.

“Aww, we still wanted to talk to him some more!”

“When will he be back?”

“Where's he going?”

“I’m afraid I cannot disclose that information,” Chewka told the ponies. “I can however answer any questions you have. I know just as much as Valiant, and can even tell you about him as well.”

The ponies looked at each other, not minding the change much since they can continue to get to know Valiant and the Tribe, especially from a new perspective.


Smolder was running with Valiant right behind him, clasping onto his hand to make sure he wouldn’t dawdle. “Are any of them behind us?”

Valiant looked back and saw no one following them. “No!”

“Okay, good.”

“Where are we going, Smolder?”

They traveled pretty far but eventually reached where they needed to be. Valiant looked up and saw a beautiful house in an astonishing tree. Seems to have comprised crystals and magic from what Valiant could tell. Smolder takes him inside where all of his friends were waiting.

“Surprise!” They all yelled out, using their party poppers to commemorate his return.

“What is this place?” Valiant asked them.

“It’s the Treehouse of Friendship!” Sandbar answered.

“It formed back when we were trying to commemorate the Tree of Harmony.” Silverstream explained further. “And it became this when it resonated with our bonds!”

“Huh...” Valiant muttered, surprised from what he pieced together. “You six are pretty interesting yourselves. You never told me such an interesting story before.”

“That’s because we were all getting to you, oh noble one!” Ocellus teased.

“Would you like another smoothie, my good sir?” Silverstream joined in.

“Or perhaps tell us more of your tales of wonder?” Smolder added.

All of them laughed as Valiant scratched the back of his head, humored as well by their japes. “I definitely let them get to me. I shouldn’t have forgotten that some of my most important companions mean much more than just having a hundred fans.”

“Were the ponies not your friends?” Yona asked.

“Oh, they were definitely friendly,” Valiant told Yona. “It’s just… It wasn’t the same. They did open up to me a lot more, and I’m happy to get along with everyone in the school now. But they weren’t doing things like trying to help me grow or get to know them in return. Also, I couldn’t remember a single name for some reason.”

“Well, at least you weren’t arrogant about it,” Sandbar thought. “I mean, I know a lot of ponies who’d let that go to their head!”

“I’d rather take a break for now,” Valiant sighed. “And spend time with these friends here.”

“Yona wonders what happened to Chewka.” Yona thought aloud.

Meanwhile, Chewka was still wearing the fashionable suit with the violet vest and purple sunglasses, swinging his magnificently flashy and dazzling cape as he dances to the music provided by one of the ponies. His legs swing and kick as he demonstrates the dances of his tribe, which apparently fit very well with disco music. The crowd was loving the amazing Chewka!