• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 5,858 Views, 204 Comments

The Student from Warpla - SparkStone



A new student from a Human tribe goes to the School of Friendship on a mission. As he makes friends, he learns more about himself as well as the world around him.

  • ...
10
 204
 5,858

Part 12 - Dessert

Silverstream were out in town tonight once more to tackle the menus in Ponyville. They’ve been trying out new places they haven’t eaten before whenever they get together to scour the restaurants for things they haven’t been to yet. They’ve set their eyes on a particular new and exotic restaurant that opened up just recently.

“Oooh! I can’t wait until we get there, Valiant! I saw it earlier today and it has the funniest roof I’ve ever seen!” Silverstream told him.

“You sound like you were planning on going without me,” the human accused the Hippogryph.

She gasps and playfully punches him on the shoulder. “How could you think that? Our first time eating at a new restaurant is always together! You know that!”

The two laughed and were already having a good time. They approached the building which had a statue of a stallion holding a silver tray on the roof. Valiant took a good look at it and nodded. “That indeed looks quite fitting.” He commented.

They enter the doors and are greeted by a waiter. “Hello, will you two be dining with us tonight?”

“Why else are we here?!” Silverstream said with a big smile. Valiant stood by her, smirking at her usual playfulness. The waiter sighed and rolled his eyes, knowing what he was dealing with.

“Very well, do you have a reservation with us?” he asked the two.

“Huh?” Silverstream looked at him quizzically. “Reservation?”

“We don't dine in. You must have a reservation with us before arriving since we’re constantly gaining new customers.” He informs them.

“Uuuuuuh-” Silverstream stammered, not sure what to do now.

Valiant however took the handle of the situation. “Very well, can we make a reservation now?”

“Of course,” the waiter nodded. “If you reserve with us now, you’ll be waiting for an estimate of… Two hours”

“TWO HOURS!?” Silverstream screamed, causing everyone in the restaurant to look at her.

Valiant focused on the waiter. “Is there no other way to eat here sooner?”

“We’re sorry sir, but we’re quite booked. This is an establishment of refinement and every pony here wants to experience this.”

“I understand,” Valiant nodded. “Thank you for your time. I apologize for any inconvenience.”

“My, my!” A stallion spoke, approaching Valiant. The human boy and Hippogryph girl turned to see a male pony with a yellow coat and a topaz mane. With him was a beautiful pearl white Hippogryph who appeared to be as tall as Valiant.

“I’ve never met such a well mannered young lad before!” the stallion stated. “And I’ve also never met a human either! What a rare string of coincidences!”

“Um, who are you?” Silverstream asked the Stallion.

“My apologies!” He said to them with a chuckle. “My name is Clam Pearl! Owner of this fine eating establishment! And this here is my business partner, Seasilk!”

Seasilk waves hello to Valiant and Silverstream. Seeing the two were nice folk, the two students introduced themselves. “My name is Valiant of the Dune Star Tribe, currently enrolled in the School of Friendship.”

“And my name is Silverstream!” She grabs the hoof and claw of the Stallion and Hippogryph. “We go to the same school!”

“Well! It’s an honor to meet you two,” Seasilk told them. She turns to Valiant and says to him, “You seem to have many interesting stories to share. From what I heard, you were the one who protected Princess Celestia during the attack on the school?”

“I don’t know how those details managed to spread, but you are correct,” Valiant confirmed.

“Outstanding! You must join us for dinner!” Clam insisted. “We heard you don’t have a reservation, but you should be able to squeeze in a seat with us in the VIP.”

“VIP!?” Silverstream exclaimed. She leaned over to Valiant and whispered, “What’s VIP?”

“Here in Equestria, it’s the acronym for ‘Very Important Pony’.” Valiant answered.

“You sure know your stuff,” Seasilk complimented him. “I didn’t know that the first time I came here.”

“You’ll have all the services here and some special options while you’re with us in the VIP,” Clam told them.

“That does sound fun,” Valiant thought as he turned to Silverstream. “What do you think?”

“What do I think?” She repeated in a playful mocking tone. “I think we should get this party rolling!”

Clam and Seasilk chuckled lightly, although they weren’t very impressed with Silverstream’s demeanor. Valiant was having a good time with his Hippogryph friend nonetheless. The four of them made their way to the VIP through the stairs and passed the red rope which was opened for them by the waiters. They were seated in a red velvet room with fine furnishings of tall vases and mahogany wood. The VIP looked nothing like the public floor or the outside of the restaurant. Valiant and Silverstream were quite impressed.

“What do you think of it?” Clam Pearl asked them. “This decor arrangement was picked out by Seasilk when this place was being built.”

“It’s incredible!” Silverstream exclaimed. “I’ve never been to a fancy diner before!”

“Er, it’s not a diner...” Seasilk corrected her. “It’s a restaurant that brings Hippogryph cuisine and Pony spices together as one!”

“That’s an interesting idea…!” Valiant thought aloud. “Combining two cultures before anyone else will bring profits quickly. I imagine there’s a lot of curious folk willing to eat food like that.”

“You have the right idea, lad!” Clam said proudly. “With Seasilk bringing in ingredients from her home and me bringing ingredients from mine, we made this business work! We’ve been expanding quickly, and Ponyville seems to be perfect with the Princess of Friendship here and all.”

“It was great making money on the side so I could have a chance to travel around Equestria and see more equine culture,” Seasilk mentioned.

The three continued conversing with each other, quite entranced with the inner workings of their booming business. Silverstream however was struggling to wait, and gave into her growling stomach. She tapped Valiant on the shoulder to get his attention.

“Hey, um, when are we going to eat?” Silverstream wondered.

“Ahem!” Clam coughed in his hoof. “I’ve already taken the liberty of ordering us the soup of the day, the most fresh item on the menu, and drinks to commemorate our meeting!”

“Oh, wait! You two can’t drink alcohol yet, can you?” Seasilk mentioned.

“Ah, we’re not quite old enough yet!” Silverstream confirmed it. “Right, Valiant?”

“Well, There was a time I had to steal alcohol from my enemies to keep my thirst quenched. My markings have prevented any damaging effects to my brain growth... Or so my shaman has told me.”

“Interesting!” Clam speaks in surprise of such an intricate response. “Either you’re a very convincing liar or you’re an even more interesting fellow!”

“Is there a difference?” Seasilk laughed.

“My learnings from the School of Friendship have reinforced the importance of honesty.” Valiant assured them.

“Well, let’s not dawdle! Drink up!” Seasilk cheered as she poured three wine glasses. Silverstream received a cup of water and drank it as she watched the three have a good time.

“Um, so, how was your first time out in Equestria?” Silverstream asked Seasilk.

“Oh, it was quite an out-of-water experience,” Seasilk jokes.

“Oh my gosh, ME TOO!” Silverstream shouted. The three of them looked at her suddenly raising herself from the seat. She pauses and slowly sinks back in her chair when she realized what the joke was.

“I mean, I thought I wouldn’t fit in up here on the surface. Imagine my surprise that one of the ponies I would meet would help me make all of this?”

“Indeed, meeting those outside of your home is a truly wonderful and unique experience,” Valiant nodded. “I’m quite blessed to have met my companions and instructors.”

“Couldn’t have said it any better myself!”

Suddenly, a loud roar came from their table. Clam and Seasilk look to Silverstream who was apparently very hungry. She blushes in embarrassment while Valiant said, “It has been a while since you ordered.”

“Well no need to worry! Here comes our food,” Clam announced. The waiter places a small bowl of some kind of seafood soup and a crab ball. One singular ball of crab for each of them. Silverstream picked up the food with her claw before seeing that Seasilk and Clam were cutting the crab ball with a fork and knife very elegantly. She looked to see Valiant doing the same. She decided, through peer pressure, to use a fork. All she did however was stab the crab ball and stuff the entire thing in her mouth.

“Is that it?” Silverstream asked, somewhat disappointed.

“Would you like seconds?” Seasilk asked.

“Don’t forget the soup!” Clam reminded her.

Silverstream looks at the soup which was the size of her claw. She took a sip and realized it was not for her. The other three drank up their soup and gave a hearty breath afterwards.

“Wasn’t that good?” Clam laughs.

“Ah… Yeah, it was great...” Silverstream sighed as she rested her head on the table.

“The night is still young,” Seasilk told them. “Why don’t we go out somewhere else for fun?”

Silverstream raised herself from her sulk and raised her hand for attention. “Oh! Oh! Oh! I know someplace!”


The three of them followed Silverstream to a bowling alley. Silverstream excitedly waved them to come inside. They enter the bowling alley and go to the counter to get their bowling shoes.

“Oh… Were those worn by… other ponies?” Clam wondered.

“Do they even have some for Hippogryphs?” Seasilk thought.

The clerk passes Valiant a pair of shoes as requested. Valiant raised an eyebrow and said, “You actually have a set for humans?”

“Yeah, we had one come here before,” the clerk stated as he pointed to a photo of Chewka with a frame labeled ‘Best Bowler of the Month’.

“... Huh.”

“Alright! Let’s get ready to bowl!” Silverstream cheerfully announced.

The four of them go to the bowling lane and take their seats. Clam Pearl goes up first and demonstrates the game. He rolls the ball to the pins and knocks several of them down. He waits for the ball to return and tries to go for the remaining three. Only two fall and his points say nine.

“I see, so you get two tries to knock down all of the pins,” Valiant concluded.

“I’m still figuring out how to hold the ball.” Seasilk admitted.

“Oh! So that’s how you’re supposed to play!” Silverstream reacted quite surprised.

“You invited us out here and didn’t even know how to play the game?” Clam was quite perplexed by her decision to go to the bowling alley.

“I saw it and thought it looked like fun!” Silverstream reasoned.

After Seasilk went up and got a spare, Valiant was next up. He took the ball and placed his hand in the hoof-shaped hole. Despite the difficulty of keeping the grip, he swiftly rolls the ball and hits the pyramid of pins directly down the center and earns a strike. The three cheered for him as he made his way back to his seat.

“Attaboy! You sure have a natural talent at this!” Clam Pearl praised the boy.

“That was awesome!” Silverstream told him. “Looks like it’s my turn!”

“Give it a good roll!” Valiant told her as she raced to get a bowling ball. She placed her claw onto the hoof-shaped hole and attempted to chuck it. She swings the ball up and it lands on the lane with a loud thud. The ball is still rolling towards the pins but begins moving to the side and into the gutter. Clam Pearl and Seasilk give an encouraging smile while Valiant cheers her on. “Don’t worry! You got the next one!”

Silverstream continues to have a good time, this time having a good idea of what she did wrong. She gives another go at it and manages to take down eight pins. She gasped and flew back to the table and said, “Did you see that!?”

“You did great!” Valiant told her.

“Truly splendid, dearie!” Seasilk said to her.

“Whew! All that made me thirsty!” Silverstream wheezed. “I’m going to get something to drink!”

“We’ll be here!” Clam told her before he took his turn at the bowling lane.

Silverstream went to the food stall in the corner of the alley. She got herself a soda and also some nachos since she hasn’t had a decent meal yet. By the time she returns, Valiant is up on the lane while Clam and Seasilk talk with each other. Silverstream wasn’t trying to, but she overhears their conversation and starts listening to them.

“That girl is a strange one,” Clam Pearl told Seasilk. “Valiant is so well refined and yet he still spends time with her.”

“Perhaps it’s because they go to the same establishment,” Seasilk assumed. “I can’t imagine him actually enjoying his time with her. Perhaps he only has a good time to make her feel better?”

“I would believe that, considering how polite he is. He’s most likely doing it to consider her feelings over the matter.”

“Though, he shouldn’t have to hold himself back for someone else’s sake like that. He should be with others he truly resonates with.”

Silverstream began to sulk from hearing their conversation before it was interrupted by Valiant getting another strike. They finish up the game with Valiant winning with his continuous strike, replacing Chewka’s photo with his own. As they left, they looked up and estimated that they still have some more time to visit someplace else.

“There’s still time left before we should call it in,” Clam said as he looked up high. “How about we go to a special club?”

“A club?” Valiant repeated.

“Yes, they have dancing and music I’m sure you’ve never heard of before. I say that because it doesn’t usually allow youngsters in, but you’re a fine exception!”

“Dancing and music!?” Silverstream gasped. “Where is it!?”

“Oh! I’m sorry, but...” Seasilk apologized with a pensive manner. “Only adults are able to go. We’re only inviting Valiant since he appears to be an adult for his kind.”

“O-Oh...” Silverstream muttered. “That’s okay, I understand. I’ll just-”

“Thank you for the offer, but I must decline,” Valiant spoke. The three of them looked shocked as Valiant held Silverstream’s talon. “I promised to spend time with Silverstream like we do every other night. I appreciate everything you’ve done for us, but I’d like to spend the rest of tonight with her.”

“Oh! I see!” Clam realized, bowing his head in a repentant matter. “My sincerest apologies. You two enjoy the rest of your night together.”

Valiant thanked them and began walking with Silverstream. She looks at him, surprised at what he did. She took this time alone to talk to Valiant.

“Why didn’t you go with them?” Silverstream pouted. “You seemed to fit in so well with them earlier.”

“They were nice company, but I don’t think I fit in with them.” Valiant told her. “I may have been intrigued by how they lived or adapted, but they definitely weren’t as fun as you.”

Silverstream looked at him blankly before snickering at what he just said. “You’re just saying that!”

“I’m being completely honest.”

“Oh please!” Silverstream denied it. “You talked with them so well and even ate their cuisine like them too! If that’s not fitting into your own group, I don’t know what is.”

“Silverstream, I know you didn’t like spending time with them that much.”

“Ha! Whaaaaat?” she scoffed. “So I didn’t get their lingo! That doesn’t mean anything!”

“If I could describe the look on your face and your attitude for the night...” Valiant evaluated the past few hours and said, “It was as sad as I was when I didn’t fit in either. But you took a chance on me. You took me out to places to eat and see the sights. As alien as I was to everything, you spent the time to get me to know my surroundings.”

Valiant places his hand on Silverstream’s head. “I’m not gonna leave you just for strangers who seem to like me too.”

Silverstream still pouted at her friend, but was happier than before. Her stomach growled, making her turn red with embarrassment.

“Yeah, I also knew that you’d still be hungry,” Valiant mentioned.

“Too bad there’s no place still open this late.” she sighed.

“Don’t worry about that.” Valiant smiled.


At Valiant’s house, Valiant seated Silverstream as he headed into the kitchen. He takes out the necessary ingredients and begins preparing them. Silverstream looks at him, curiously.

“What are you making?”

“Something I know you’ll like,” he declared, smiling. He cuts the vegetables and prepares the stovetop. He gracefully cuts and minces the eel and fish. Once he prepped the ingredients, he placed everything in the pan. He mixes the food as it’s still cooking. Upon finishing, he pours the contents on a plate and places the meal in front of Silverstream.

She smells the savory scent and her mouth begins to water. “What is THIS!?”

“It’s seafood fried rice,” he told her. “A Hippogryph and Pony culture inspired dish.”

She takes a scoop full from her spoon and tastes it. She jumps at the flavors and is lost in the incredible bliss from the fish. There is a light touch of herbs and spices that enhance the flavors but not overwhelm her tastes. There was also the seafood part of the dish. It wasn’t just the soft salmon that absorbed the special sauce but also the fluffy eel coated nice and evenly.

“Is this… Eel!?” She questioned.

“I heard you mentioned liking water snakes, so I assumed it was eel,” Valiant told her of his findings. “A little bunny procured me some for some reason. So I immediately thought that you may like it and learned how to prepare it before the time came to cook it.”

She was surprised that he had planned ahead so far. She wasn’t expecting him to learn something like cooking eel for her sake. “Why would you go and learn how to cook seafood just for me?”

“Well, I suppose since you’ve helped me find happiness, I also wanted to make you happy as well,” Valiant thought, scratching his head. “It’s not much, but I want to do more. You’ve spent so much time for me, so I don’t mind spending more time for you either.”

Silverstream looked at Valiant as he took a bite of the food. Just like all food he likes, he shows his signature adorable reaction. A reaction she realized was completely absent at the restaurant earlier. After finishing their meal, Valiant went to get something from the fridge. He places it on the table and it jiggles upon placing.

“What is it?” she asked.

“It’s a dessert I made called flan,” he told her. “A very sweet and delicious pudding, I made sure to get it just right for you.”

“It sounds good and it looks good,” Silverstream commented. “How come you never tried it?”

“Well, I thought that I should try it with you,” he told her. “You gave me a cupcake the first time we met, and that was sweet. So this time, I wanted to give you something sweet you never tried before.”

Silverstream looks at him with total absence of expression. She was so enraptured by his consideration into what he gave her. She felt extremely happy as her heart skipped a beat. She takes a bite into the flan and her smile grows wider.

“It’s delicious!”

Valiant smiles delightfully at her. “You make a cute face when you eat something you like.”

Red flushes onto Silverstream’s face. She smiles back at him as she scoops a piece of the flan and brings it to Valiant, giving him a moment of surprise. “You should try it too… The first time we try something new is together, right?”

Valiant smirks with a chuckle and takes a bite as she desired. It was an interesting night only to eat someplace familiar and yet find something new.