• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 5,800 Views, 204 Comments

The Student from Warpla - SparkStone



A new student from a Human tribe goes to the School of Friendship on a mission. As he makes friends, he learns more about himself as well as the world around him.

  • ...
10
 204
 5,800

Part 1 - Dragon Slayer

Author's Note:

Ayy, just wanna say I wrote this for fun. But that's no excuse to stop self improvement, right?
So here's my request, if you end up disliking the story, tell me in the comments why. Though, if you can't come up with a review or really don't feel like putting in that kind of effort (I'm with you there, buddy), you can just type one word in caps from the list right here.

"TRIED"
- This story wasn't your kind of story. You took a chance on reading it despite knowing you probably wouldn't like it. (Thanks! Hope you find something you do like reading though)
"DELIVERY"
- This story IS your kind of story. But the delivery of it wasn't to your liking. Possibly too fast or too slow. Maybe the sentences were to cumbersome or too short.
"DIRECTION"
- This story IS your kind of story. But the direction it was going wasn't to your liking.
"MISDIRECTION"
- The preview promised something different than what you got. (If that's the case, tell me what tags I should add or change. Also, sorry you had to read in through a story that may have misled you in the preview.)
"TROLL"
- You just disliked it because you're a rebel. (Put on those shades and smile like a madman)

Edit: 4/25/2020
Added some new text and details
Thanks for your feedback Truthseeker!
And no, I didn't fix all of the problems.

The Royal Court held within Canterlot had a meeting with an important and once forgotten creature. A human who is the chief of his village and leader of the tribe visits the sister princesses of Equestria. After countless attempts in the past to meet with one of the tribes, this was their most successful meeting as of yet. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna kept their appearances to match that of the chief, who continued to show a mature restraint, regality, and refinement.

“I humbly thank you again for the aid you have given my people.” He says with a slight bow of his head. “Your gifts of food and sharing of your culture has enlightened and given comfort to them.”

“We’re quite happy that it was to your liking,” the sun princess said with a graceful smile.

“It has made it easier to convince them of my approach to the other tribes from our region,” he tells them. “The other tribes continue to attempt to overthrow us for our land and resources, but we stay resilient at the defense.”

“We’re sorry to hear of your plight,” Princess Luna spoke of sympathy. “It’s difficult to handle such a situation especially with your position.”

“It’s quite alright,” He assures them. “Though, speaking of which, there is something I would like to request of you.”

The two princesses looked to each other, not liking where this may be going. They swiftly but politely declined in advance. “I’m afraid we cannot assist you in your battles without knowing about the circumstances of all parties.”

The chief laughs somewhat at their response. “Oho, goodness no. I cannot in good conscience send new companions to the fray of battle. Nay, I hear you have a school that teaches in comradery.”

Princesses gave a bewildered look. “Comradery? You mean the School of Friendship?”

“Yes, that facility,” he confirmed. “I have a request that you take one of my people in.”

“Why, certainly!” Princess Celestia answered. “My faithful student runs the school, so I’m sure you’ll find it to accept whoever wishes to attend!”

“That is good to hear,” He sighs in relief. “I hope you can teach him and help him grow.”

“If you don’t mind us asking, who is this representative you’re going to send?” Princess Luna asks.


It was the first class of the day with Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and principal of the School of Friendship. Her students are seated and are ready to begin. The violet alicorn enters with a smile. Her faithful assistant follows close by her holding a parchment.

“Good news every creature!” She says with a light tone of excitement. “Today, we’re having a new student join us in our future classes! He’s come from a far off region from Warpla and is a representative of one of the human tribes.”

“Wha-pla?” The orange dragon says, confused by the strange name.

“Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Princess Twilight!” The Hippogryph calls out.

“Yes, Silverstream?”

“What’s a human?”

“Excellent question!” Twilight replied proudly at such a curious question. “Many of you may not know this, but humans are bipedal beings! They have a unique magic that lets them see magic, but not perform them on their own. It’s said that many human species weren’t able to survive except for one particular region. Warpla has humans that have been able to artificially utilize and manipulate magic, or so the texts we have says.”

“Why didn’t the humans survive?” The light green pony asked.

“Well, Sandbar, humans didn’t have any magical advantages at the time. And this was during a time when many other creatures with greater magic ability existed.”

“Sooo, you’re saying that they were destroyed by other creatures? Like griffons or Changelings?” The blue Griffon assumed.

“Um… Well, that isn’t far from the truth, but yes. Unfortunately, most of the culture was lost but as I’ve mentioned before, there are many humans left on Warpla. This includes our new student!”

Right on cue, the counselor opens the door and brings in their human guest. The students looked at him to see that he was slightly taller than Starlight. He had a large coat seemingly made of feathers. He was overly equipped compared to all of the students as he wore an entire ensemble from a cotton white shirt, purple baggy pants, and black boots. His eyes looked as if he had just committed a crime as they scan the room slowly and attentively.

There was an awkward silence as the students analyzed the human. After Starlight gave a fake cough, Twilight returned to her senses and helped introduce the human.

“Aah, hello! Welcome to our school!” She said with a wide smile in an attempt to liven up the atmosphere. “Why don’t we get to know you a bit more and have your name?”

He nods and does as he’s told. “My people call me Dragon Slayer.”

Spike and Smolder flinched at that. Spike started to inch himself away from Dragon Slayer while Smolder glared at him.

“Ooo-kaaaay,” Starlight says to him. “Uh, why don’t you take a seat, Mr. Dragon- er, Slayer?”

The human nodded and took the seat next to Ocellus. The Changeling has an expression of discomfort on her seeing her new neighbor.


“What a freaky guy,” Gallus said to his friends. “Did you see how much he was wearing?”

“Yona thinks he looks strong!” She stated. “Dragon Slayer wears lots of heavy clothes!”

“Not only that, but the way he talked was all growly too,” Sandbar pointed out.

“Isn’t it wrong to judge Dragon Slayer before we get to know him?” Silverstream thought. “He might’ve just been nervous.”

“If you ask me, getting a name like Dragon Slayer, doesn’t sound like he got it by holding tea parties.”

As the six strolled on, they spotted Dragon Slayer, walking through the corridors with many ponies actively avoiding him. The six watched as he eventually walked up to them. Smolder, who was in front of her group, stood in Dragon Slayer’s way. He merely walks around them and continues minding his own.

Ocellus pondered at the way he behaved. “He seems pretty quiet actually.”

“I guess he doesn’t have much to say.” Sandbar concluded.


It was another sunny day outside for outdoor activities. Fluttershy is the instructor this time and has everyone perform friendship activities.

“Today, we’ll be doing some trust activities,” Fluttershy told everyone. “This will be a good opportunity to show our new guest one of the core fundamentals of Friendship!”

“Does that mean we’re gonna do some trust falls again?” Gallus guessed.

“That’s right! So I want every creature to partner up!”

As everyone did so, Fluttershy walked to Smolder and requested her assistance. “Smolder, I was hoping you could partner with, um Dragon.”

“What!?” Smolder yelled. “Why me?”

“Well, you seem to match his height, and no pony else seems to want to work with him,” she explained. “I’m worried that if this goes on, he may not learn anything from this class.”

Smolder groaned but accepted anyways. She felt inclined to with the good points her instructor had, and she didn’t feel threatened by the stranger regardless. “Fiiine.”

“Thank you, Smolder! I knew I could count on you!”

Smolder stands by Dragon and waits for Fluttershy to finish the demonstration with her bear. Fluttershy crosses her forelegs and falls towards the bear. The bear catches her gently and lifts her back on her hooves. She pats the bear on the head and says, “Good boy, Harry!”

“Did every creature understand? Then let’s begin!”

Smolder sighed and crossed her arms and was ready to fall. She falls back and is caught by the human. With her turn done, it was now up to Dragon Slayer to fall backwards. As he did, Smolder caught him, only to nearly drop to the ground herself. The weight of the human was incredibly heavy, so much so that the human slipped through her claws, and not as gracefully as they’d hope either. Smolders claws dig into the clothes and even scratches his face before landing on the floor.

Everyone turned around and saw the tall creature flat on his back on the ground. The situation was bad, as the human named Dragon Slayer wasn’t caught by a Dragon. Smolder’s friends weren’t sure what happened or what to say. Nobody moved except for Fluttershy who came to his aid.

“Are you alright?” Fluttershy asked him.

Dragon got up and said, “She couldn’t carry me.”

“He was too heavy! It was like carrying two loaded carts!” Smolder quickly explained.

Fluttershy checked the cut on his cheek. “Oh no, we should get this treated right away. Smolder, would it be alright if you took him to the infirmary?”

“Why?” Dragon questioned. “It’s only a scratch.”

“Well we can’t leave you like this! You need to take care of yourself, and that scratch can get infected!” Fluttershy explained.

“Come on.” Smolder says as she helps Dragon get up. She struggled to do so even with Dragon standing up on his own. “Let’s just take you there before you get everybody else freaked out.”

“... Understood.” He complied.


At the infirmary, Dragon was seated on the bed. Starlight took a look at the damage and simply placed a patch on the spot. “There! Just leave it on and the cut will go away on its own.”

Dragon thanked her before Starlight turned to Smolder. “Good job staying relaxed after that. It’s good that you walked him here on your own.”

“Ah, it’s no big deal,” Smolder shrugged.

Starlight turned to Dragon and said, “Now, before we check you off, I’m gonna need you to remove that coat and seat if you got hurt on your arms.”

“I can assure you that my arms are fine.” He told her.

“Oh, don’t worry, we just need to check,” Starlight stated. “I just want to see for myself so there’s no doubt in my mind.”

“... I understand.” He complied and took off the coat. The two were surprised to see that the coat made him look a lot larger than expected. He was actually not as big as the coat made him appear to be. He was still tall, but underneath it all was someone not so intimidating. They were also shocked when he placed the coat down to hear what sounded like metal scraping metal.

“Wait, What the-” Smolder inspected the coat and found out there was armor plating underneath the feathers. “No wonder you were so heavy!”

“Oh, were we supposed to take off armor during trust exercise?” He wondered. “My apologies.”

“Aaah, I think I know how you think now,” Starlight chuckled.

“Well, now with this off, I bet I can catch you this time,” Smolder commented. “Why’re you wearing this anyways?”

“I was… under the guise that this may help me in my objectives.” Dragon explained.

“And what would that be?”

“To establish friendly relations and acquire companionship with one or more individuals.”

“So… To make friends?” Starlight translated. “Well, I’m not one to question your people’s methods, but it makes you look a little… scary, to approach.”

“I see.” He sighs. “I’m afraid I don’t quite understand how to make friends very well.”

“Well, it takes time,” Starlight told him. “Trust me, I know. Where I came from, there was a good chance I wouldn’t be able to make any new friends. But all it took was one pony to help make up for it. For you, I think you came to the right place and at a good time too. I’m sure you’ll make some friends while you’re here.”

“I see… Thank you for the advice.”

Smolder was standing around, her arms crossed as she looked at Dragon putting the coat back on. “You’re still gonna wear that?”

“It may not help me make friends, but it’s awfully cold inside this school. I’m still trying to get used to the temperature.”

“You know, I have to agree,” Smolder admitted. “I came from the Dragonlands, so coming here is like, a major downgrade in heat.”

“Really? My missions often have me crossing deserts. Once you get used to the heat, it feels quite comforting at times.”

As the two walked back to class, Starlight watched them talk away before leaving her field of vision. She giggles a bit and says to herself, “Maybe that coat did help him make a friend.”