• Published 30th Mar 2020
  • 1,509 Views, 458 Comments

Marshmallow Dreams - Halira



Rebecca Riddle seems to be your typical human-turned-pegasus in a world of both humans and ponies, but she has a secret double life, and there is nothing typical about her other life.

  • ...
15
 458
 1,509

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: Disclosures

My step dad and I don't have any of that weird stepparent-stepdaughter drama between us. When my mom married David, I was all onboard for having a new dad. He made my mom happy, and he loved me too. I did go through a small adjustment period, where I had trouble calling him Dad instead of David. I also still, to this day, think of him as my stepfather instead of my father, but that doesn't diminish the love I have for him. If you're looking for stories of me angrily yelling "You're not my real dad!" Then you have come to the wrong place, because I never did that.

However, my mom getting engaged did bring up some questions I had never asked. Yes, I did wonder why I didn't have a dad long before that point, but I had just never asked why. I had my mom, and that seemed enough. The impending addition to our family made it so I could no longer contain my curiosity.

"Mom, what happened to my original dad?"

My mom had been cutting up carrots for our dinner, and my question startled her so much that she accidently dropped the knife. It hit the floor and bounced, and I had to scuttle avoid it.

Her first concern was making sure the knife hadn't cut me, but quickly realized I'd successfully dodged it. She sighed, and picked the knife off the floor and put it by the sink, before bending down next to me. "When I got pregnant with you, I didn't want your actual father to know."

I tilted my head. "Why?"

My mom nervously ran a hand through her hair. "He was a complete jackass. I dated him for a while in high school, but dumped him not too long after… after we did what mommies and daddies do to make babies."

I snorted. "I'm thirteen, Mom. I know where babies come from. You gave me the talk a year ago when I had my first time of month. I'm wearing deodorant for that right now, and I masturbated in the shower this morning."

My mom's face twisted up into a stern look. "Rebecca Penelope Riddle! That last part falls under T-M-I, too much information!"

My ears dropped. "Sorry."

She looked upwards for a second and fluttered her lips. "Actually no, you're fine. It's good that you feel safe and secure telling me about things like that, and I shouldn't discourage you being open with me. Just try not to broadcast things like that to other people, okay?"

"Okay."

My mom's eyes narrowed. "How do you even-" She shook her head. "Never mind, not important. You were asking about why your biological father isn't part of your life, right?"

I nodded my head, and sat down to wait for her response.

She chewed on her lip for a moment before continuing. "Anyway, we had sex, and then I found out the next day that he bragged about it to all his friends and the whole school knew about it. Not only that, I found out he had been with a string of girls, and had been treating getting them to have sex with him as some sort of game, with a score. I was very attractive back then, one of, if not the most attractive girls in school-- and that isn't me just being vain. The fact that he managed to bag me, had earned him bonus points."

She gripped her hands into fists at the anger the memory brought her. "So I dumped him right on the spot. I wasn't about to be treated that way. He retaliated by spreading around rumors that I was basically a slut, who slept with anyone with enough prompting. People actually believed him, and I had all kinds of creeps come out of the woodwork trying to get me in bed with them. The girls at my school weren't much better, because they sat there and slut shamed me. It wasn't every guy and girl at school doing that stuff to me, but it was enough to make my school year a nightmare. I honestly considered dropping out at one point."

I came over to her and nuzzled her. "But you stuck it out, right?"

She laid a hand on my side and nodded. "Yeah, but it was rough. You have no idea how ashamed I was years later when I had no choice but take a job as a sex worker so we could eat. I cried so hard because I heard all those old taunts in my head, but the economy had been in a deep depression after ETS. We had to have food, and there weren't any other jobs at the time."

I nuzzled closer to my mom, but kept quiet.

My mom started to cry. "I wanted nothing to do with him. When I missed a period I took a pregnancy test, and was horrified to learn I was pregnant. I wouldn't tell anyone, even my parents, who the father was. I let them think I really was just some promiscuous girl who slept around, rather than have any chance he would be involved in your life. My parents were furious, and they wanted me to get an abortion. Despite how you came about, I didn't want that. After I graduated my parents paid a year's rent on a cheap apartment, and gave me a few thousand dollars, and they said not to ask for any more, because I wasn't getting anything else out of them."

"Did they ever make up with you?" I asked. I knew the answer, because I had never met my grandparents.

She shook her head. "No. I sometimes wonder if things would have gone differently if I had just been open and honest with them. If I told them about the mistake I made, and if I told them how I didn't want to have any more involvement with the guy who I had slept with. I don't know, it's hard to say."

I was pulled into a tight hug. "Just know that I support you no matter what. I'll always be here for you, no matter what happens."

And my mom always has.


Me and my two new neighbors sat around the table while my parents and Wild Growth went to the bedroom. My stepdad had to strip off all his clothes for this, and he wasn't going to do that out in front of guests. We sat quietly while we listened to what went on in the bedroom.

"Oh, you're adorable!" I heard my mom gush.

"I'm pink!" Dad shouted.

"It's a really nice pink, and it goes well with your blue mane." My mom assured him.

"Why'd I have to be pink?"

"I have no idea," Wild Growth answered. "The talisman works with what it has and replicates what ETS would have done. Just bear with it for another four minutes."

"Does this horn actually work?" Dad asked.

"It should," Wild Growth answered.

There was the sound of crashing in the room. Melissa started whistling beside me.

"That didn't go right," Dad said warily. "Maybe I should try again."

"It's your stuff you're destroying. Knock yourself out." Wild Growth said in answer.

More crashing ensued. I looked down and slowly started tapping out a beat on the table. Everyone in the living room was looking in any direction but the hallway.

"Honey, maybe something smaller?" Mom said.

"Alright." Dad said in agreement.

Melissa altered her whistle to join in with my beat on the table. Locutus of Bear started doing some 'bum-bum' sounds, and we had a little band going in the living room.

Wild Growth screamed. "Ahh! I don't qualify as something smaller! Put me down, right now!"

We paused our concert when we heard another big crash. It went silent for a moment after that.

"Do you think we should check on them?" I asked.

"I'm sure they're fine," Melissa answered. She then resumed whistling, and I resumed my beat on the table.

"This isn't so bad." I heard my dad announce.

"You make such a cute pink unicorn, hun."

"One more minute!" Wild Growth announced.

I partially stood up. Shaking my rear end in rhythm to our song. I kind of wanted to go find my kazoo, but I didn't want to break up what we were doing in order to find it. Melissa added a steady clap, and the stallion beat a wing against his metal leg.

"I'm naked!" Dad yelled out.

"Of course you're naked. You were naked before I put the talisman on you!"

"You weren't looking in my direction then!"

"I'm a married pony, attracted to ponies. Do you really think I care if I see your man bits?"

"Just turn around!"

Our music slowly winded down out, having gone a few minutes. Now we waited for everyone to come back out. I looked over at Melissa, and flicked an ear. "Hey, how did you know my mom's phone was in the couch?"

Melissa glanced over the phone in question. "I have human magic. I know where everything is around us, at least in a small confined area like your house. I just have to focus and feel it out. Electronic things around me tend to feel a little different than other things, light hot spots."

"Oh, that's cool," I said cheerfully. "I don't know much about human magic."

She laughed. "No one is an expert on human magic. It doesn't seem to follow any consistent pattern from person to person that has it. I can detect objects around me, but that doesn't mean the next human that has magic can do anything like that. Most humans with magic can't do anything at all."

I smiled. "I understand. My mom has magic, at least that's what she told me. She says she can't do anything with it, that it is too weak. She said she's a PREQUES zero-point-six."

"I'm a two-point-eight," Melissa replied. "I have my detection ability, and the Dreamwardens gave me the power to dreamwalk. I know of a human that can make massive illusions, and force everyone around to behave like characters in her fantasy. I know another human that can bend light, and another that sucks out the heat from anything he touches. There's no rhyme or reason to what human magic powers might be. Many of us have leftover pony magic too, though many of us don't. I don't have any, but I know several really strong humans that used to be earth ponies, and other humans that can detect subtle changes in the weather-- just like they could when they were pegasi. We're living in a world where X-Men mutants are real, only our powers are all magic."

I wasn't sure what an X-man mutant was, but couldn't help continuing to be nosy. "What kind of pony were you?"

Melissa laid a hand on her husband's back. "A night pony, like Teddy here. We both got hurt really badly early on. I still take a night pony form when dreamwalking, and consider myself part night pony."

The stallion held up a robotic leg. "I know I'm not all there, but Mel was much worse off. We spent a lot of time together in the hospital, it's where we started our relationship. She was one of the first people to rehumanize. They told her that it would heal her. It did just that, which I'm grateful for. I hated seeing her in constant pain."

I looked at his legs again. Yeah, they were cool, but I think I'd rather have real legs. "Why didn't you rehumanize?"

He shook his head. "It's a long story, Marshmallow. I'd probably have rehumanized if I could go back and do it again, but I was dealing with more problems than missing limbs back then."

I wanted to ask more, but my parents returned to the room right then. My mom looked amused, and my step dad's clothes were a ruffled mess.

"Your zipper's down," I informed him.

He hastily reached down and pulled it up. "Thanks. I got dressed in a hurry. That was a very unique experience. It was interesting seeing things more from your perspective."

"I wish I could have tried," my mom lamented. "I never got to do much flying when I was a pony. It would have been nice to feel that feeling again."

"I can relate," Melissa said, looking back towards the hall. "I take it our senator is putting her human suit back on."

"Yeah, she seems to want to get moving," my mom confirmed. She then walked into the kitchen. "Water or juice, hun?"

"Just water," Dad said breathlessly.

I walked over to him and gave his legs a hug. "Are you okay?"

He brushed me off his leg and then sat heavily down on the couch. "Sorry Becky, I just needed to sit down. That was… that was something else." He looked over at Melissa. "How long does it take for the magic to show?"

Melissa shrugged. "There is definitely magic in you now. How much is the question. The Dreamwardens can work with any amount. You might not know if you are going to gain any powers for weeks, months, or even a year or more; if you gain any at all. It took well over a year after rehumanization before my powers started to show."

My mom looked at her in interest. "You have powers?"

"Your daughter can tell you about it later. Wild Growth is done dressing," Melissa replied. We immediately heard the bathroom door open up.

Wild Growth walked in, and once again looked like an olive skinned lady. She really didn't look much older than me, like someone about to start college. I knew she was in her thirties at least, and I wondered if this was how she had looked before she turned into a pony.

The false human looked at Melissa. "I heard your little performance while We were in the bedroom. Didn't take you for the musical type.

Melissa blushed. "I'm not really sure where that came from."

"When Becky is involved it is easy to get caught up in whatever she is doing. It is kind of infectious," Dad explained.

Wild Growth raised an eyebrow. "Mind magic?"

"Just charisma," Mom answered.

I got another considering look from the senator. "I actually do have one other order of business before we leave. I was told you had some sort of classified power with the OMMR. OMMR classified records are typically something I don't have access to, unless putting in a good legal reason. Considering I need to report any potential threats you present, I need to know exactly what your classified ability is." She looked over to Melissa. "I'm sure the Dreamwardens will understand me inquiring about it."

"I think they will," Melissa agreed.

That made me uneasy. My parents knew what I could do, but Miss Seapony had said I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. This was Wild Growth, a United States senator, and a pony that had been the most powerful magic user on the planet-- before she burnt her powers out. This wasn't a normal someone asking. She needed to get Miss Seapony's permission, but to talk to Miss Seapony she had to actually use her powers-- or go to sleep, but she wasn't tired.

"I need to ask Miss Seapony if it is okay," I replied.

Wild Growth sighed. "Are you one of those ponies that are able to fall asleep quickly? I'd rather get this done today."

"I can ask her without falling asleep," I said slowly. I could be invisible and soundless right away. I was good enough with my powers to do that. I could have a full conversation with Miss Seapony right here without them seeing or hearing a thing. "I need to turn my phone on to do it."

Wild Growth raised an eyebrow again. She then looked at our other two guests. "Keep quiet while she has her phone on. No one discusses anything about the Dreamwardens while the phone is on." Everyone nodded, and she turned back to me with her arms crossed. "Go ahead."

I turned my phone back on and pulled up my music playlist. I flipped through the options, trying to decide on something relaxing. I eventually settled on Vanilla Twilight by Owl City. I turned the song on, closed my eyes, and let the music become my world.

It didn't take long at all to find myself staring at my swaying body once again. No one gave any gasps or signs of shock at another me appearing, or looked at anything but my swaying body. Teddy Bear even shuffled a yawn, as the mellow tones seemed to make him sleepy.

"Miss Seapony! I need to talk to you," I called out.

She appeared in front of me, and seemed to quickly access the situation. I turned and looked at each person in the room so she could see them. She swam in front of me while I was looking at Melissa and Teddy Bear. "I know these two well. I'm guessing the human is Wild Growth, using that abominable magic. How can I help you, Rebecca?"

"I need your permission to tell them what I can do," I answered.

Miss Seapony dipped and somersaulted in the air. "You have my permission to tell and show them. Is your meeting going well? Did they give your stepfather magic?"

"They did, and everything seems to be alright," I replied. I remembered something else. "Miss Seapony… they told me something bad that Miss Nightmares did, a long time ago. Did you try to stop her?"

My oldest friend looked sad. "We can discuss that later. Now is not the time. I promise to give you the answer tonight, and not hold any information from you." She looked at the others in my field of vision again. "Go ahead and make yourself visible and with sound. I will keep watching. You can even let them know I am watching through you."

I nodded. I hoped Miss Seapony would tell me tonight that what they had said about Miss Nightmares was somehow not true, or that Miss Seapony had tried to stop it. For right now I just let myself become visible.

Melissa gasped and covered her mouth when I suddenly appeared. Teddy Bear looked back and forth between the two versions of me in confusion. Wild Growth didn't seem particularly concerned about it. My parents, who'd seen me use my powers many times, gave our guests worried glances.

"That's a cool trick," Teddy Bear said. "Some sort of illusion?"

I pointed at my phone around my leg. "Can someone turn that off? I can't really do it right now." Mom hurried over to the me who was still swaying with the music, and turned my phone off, and I smiled at her. "Thanks, Mom."

"So, you can make an illusion of yourself when in a trance?" Wild Growth asked.

I shifted hoof to hoof. "Kinda-sorta. It's more than just an illusion, it's me. It's called astral projecting. I can't touch anything, but I can change my shape, or go invisible, or make it so you can't hear me, but I'm still here."

"Can you change your shape for me?" Wild Growth asked.

I blinked. "Okay, what do you want me to change into?"

"Surprise me."

Miss Seapony swam back into view. "How about a duplicate of her, down to the voice?"

"Okay," I replied. I think Wild Growth thought I was talking to her, since she couldn't see or hear Miss Seapony like I could.

I looked her over and a second later I was her mirror image, right down to the suit. "How's this?" I asked, mimicking her voice.

She walked over and placed her hand straight through me, and waved it around, before pulling it back. "Completely incorporeal, as you said. Do you have size restrictions on what you can turn into?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Not that I know of, I never really tried to see how big or small I can get. I have to be able to imagine how whatever I look like moves, or it won't look right when I move around."

"You have limitations," Miss Seapony told me.

"Miss Seapony just told me I have limitations," I informed the others. "She can see and hear what I see and hear right now. I can see and hear her too."

Wild Growth smirked. "So, you're like a telephone call into the dream realm."

"I guess so," I admitted. "I never thought about it that way."

"How far from your body can you send this projection?" Wild Growth continued, still not seeming that concerned. Melissa and Teddy Bear looked impressed, but not Wild Growth. I supposed when you were a legend like her, nothing could surprise you anymore.

"A few miles," I replied, and shifted back to my normal shape and voice. "And it doesn't matter what shape I'm in, or if I'm invisible or visible."

Wild Growth continued to examine me. "And the Dreamwardens dubbed this ability non-threatening?" She snorted. "I think they have a different definition of the word than I do, because this ability seems to have plenty of room to be abused. Not so much for directly harming someone, but for spying on others or trying to fool others. Can a crystal pony detect you?"

I nodded. "Yeah, they can feel it if I get near, even if I'm invisible. Some night ponies can too."

She nodded. "At least that's some sort of defense against this. Are there others who can do this?"

"You can give her a yes, but don't reveal names or clues about who," Miss Seapony instructed.

"I can't say who, but there are others," I answered the senator.

Wild Growth could be seen thinking. "I need to talk to the president and see if we can come up with some additional security measures for classified meetings then. That's going to be fun trying to get in place without saying what we're guarding against."

I shook my head. "The rules for the dream realm about not using secrets we learn still apply. It's treated like we're dreaming. If anyone tries that they're breaking a rule."

Wild Growth nodded. "That's good to know. If there's one thing you can count in a Dreamwarden to do, it's to be no-nonsense when it comes to the rules. I'll let the president know that the rules still apply. That should reduce some worry." She absently scratched her arm, and then let out a long breath. "That's enough demonstration. You can stop doing that now."

I opened my eyes back in my regular body and didn't see or hear Miss Seapony anymore.

Wild Growth walked towards the front door, and Melissa and Teddy Bear quickly followed. "I have enough information for my report. Expect Arbiter to be setting up a shared dream in a few days so I can follow up with you. I'm going to get going. I need to get back to Washington, and I want some time back at home before I go. It was nice seeing you all again."

The three of them promptly left. Leaving me and my parents alone.

"Well, that went well," my mom said with relief. She turned to me. "I always suspected this was coming, but never said anything about it. I do want you to know I'm very proud of you, and support you no matter what."

Dad shook his head. "I'm still kind of shell-shocked about it. I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to react. I've heard the stories about the things the Dreamwardens used to do, and you spending so much time with a Dreamwarden always worried me because of that, but I kept my mouth closed. I need some time to process this."

My mom headed to the kitchen. "Does anyone want some cake?"

"Yes, please!" I happily answered.

My parents seemed to be taking this alright, but what my step dad said about the old stories and what Melissa and Teddy Bear said about Miss Nightmares really worried me. I hoped Miss Seapony had some way of reassuring me that things weren't that bad.

Maybe I could convince Dad to make some more cake.

PreviousChapters Next