• Published 31st Aug 2020
  • 8,159 Views, 385 Comments

The Reason to Smile - Onomonopia

  • ...
9
 385
 8,159

Agony

Rainbow Dash would live.

That was the only comfort Twilight had. Yet as she sat next to her friend she could feel nothing but guilt. Rainbow's entire body was in one, giant cast and she was filled with enough pain-neutralizing magic to the point that she couldn't feel anything. That was good. With how bad her body was, it was best that she didn't feel anything. Twilight had barely gotten her to medical help in time. Had she been just a second slower...just like how All Might had almost been too slow to save Pinkie.

This was the second time. The second time one of her friends had nearly been killed. Fighting a battle that they shouldn't have been a part of. Pinkie's leg would take months to heal properly. Rainbow Dash might never be the same again. And all because of Twilight. All because she hadn't been good enough to protect them.

"Rainbow, I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can, know that I am so sorry," Twilight whispered to her friend. "I never wanted this for you. For any of you. Had I been stronger, or faster, or better at magic, or...or..."

Twilight hung her head, unable to say any more. It was for the best, because a moment later the door to the room was practically ripped off its hinges and Applejack came running in. The mare looked around the room, barely registering Twilight before she was at Rainbow's side. Applejack's face gave away nothing, but her eyes told Twilight everything. There was fear, pain and agony within them.

Twilight stepped back and allowed Applejack to sit next to Rainbow. AJ gently took the mare's hoof in hers, before lowering her head. Twilight stayed with her in silence for what felt like eternity, before finally managing to summon up the courage to speak.

"Applejack...I am so sorry..." Twilight choked out. "If I had been faster...if I had been better-"

"Stop," AJ cut Twilight off. "Stop with that talk right now."

"But Applejack-"

"Stop it. Yer saying the same thing All Might tried to say to me. How it's all yer fault, how ya weren't good enough and all that crap. Well stop it." Applejack raised her head and glared into Twilight's eyes, AJ's emerald eyes blazing. "It's not yer fault. It's the villains that attacked yer family that did this. And All Might told me the whole story. About how Sombra had him trapped and how ya were facing two foes that were about to kill ya. Rainbow saved your life, right?"

"Yes, but she shouldn't have had to," Twilight bitterly replied. "Had I been-"

"AH SAID ENOUGH!" AJ roared. Twilight snapped up straight and shut her mouth, watching as Applejack seethed in place. Then, stunning Twilight completely, tears began to fall down Applejack's face. "Do not blame yerself. Rainbow Dash isn't like this because ya weren't good enough or because All Might isn't a great hero. He is a great hero and you are one of the greatest, if not the greatest, champions of this land. None of this is on you two."

"So ah will tell you exactly what ah told him. Rainbow knew what she was getting into. She knew how dangerous it could be. We all knew how dangerous protecting Equestria can be. But we didn't it anyway. Because we believe in ya. We believe in what we do. So yes, it hurts me more than you could know to see her like this. But ah also know that she ended up like this because she risked everything to save yer life. We all would. So please, stop blaming yerself and acting like her sacrifice meant nothing!"

"Applejack...you're right. I have been ignoring Rainbow's sacrifice. She saved my life. She saved all of the Crystal Empire. I want you and her both to know that," Twilight agreed. Then the bitterness returned. "But, and please listen to me, she shouldn't have needed to. Defending Equestria...that is no longer her job. Nor yours or Pinkie or any of our friends. We brought harmony to the world. The Elements returned to their resting place and the Rainbow power has faded. You've done your part. You've earned the right to live your lives without fear of...this."

"Twilight...listen..."

"Please. Let me finish. I am the princess of Equestria. And my job is to keep this land safe, to keep the ponies in it safe...to keep my friends safe," Twilight whispered. "I know...that you all want to help me. And I am grateful for it, I truly am. I couldn't ask for better friends. But Pinkie nearly lost a leg fighting these foes. Rainbow nearly lost her life. I fear, the next time we face one of these villains...that one of you won't be coming back."

"Twilight, ya can't be so worried about us," Applejack said.

"How can I not be?!" Twilight practically yelled. She took a moment to steady herself, before she stood up and walked to the door. "Every time we have gone up against one of these guys, I've never lost somepony I've loved. Spike against Monstro. Pinkie against Diamond Dust. And now Rainbow...I can't let this continue. I can't keep let you all get hurt. Stay here with Rainbow Dash. All Might and I will deal with the rest of the villains."

"Twilight, ya can't-"

"Stay here with Rainbow Dash, Applejack...that's a royal order," Twilight ordered. Applejack didn't say anything in reply, she simply shook her head at Twilight before turning her full attention back to Rainbow Dash. Twilight left her alone, leaving the room and entering the hallway. She stifled a sob before she headed down to the lobby, heading for a vending machine.

"How did it go?" Twilight looked to her side to see All Might leaning up against the wall, his eternal smile gone. "I heard quite a bit of yelling."

"It went as well as your talk with her did. She told me that it wasn't my fault, I did all I could and that what she did was heroic."

"Everything she said is true," All Might pointed out.

"I guess."

"It doesn't make you feel better, does it?"

"Not in the slightest."

"I've heard it all before. If I hadn't been there, more would have died. It could have been worse. They were a hero for the way they acted, don't take their death too hard. They are kind words. They don't change the fact that a person is dead or crippled and I was the one that allowed it to happen. That I was the hero that failed."

"It's like you can read my mind," Twilight smirked. "You can't, right?"

"Not with psychic powers or anything like that. But I know that look on your face. I've seen it many a times on my own face. Is...is she...?"

"She'll live. Barely. It will be a miracle if she ever flies again," Twilight said. She then forced back another sob and gritted her teeth. "She teaches the Wonderbolts, you know. The greatest fliers in the history of Equestria. She loved teaching for them. And now her dream may be dead. All because of me."

"I cannot imagine how she will feel when she learns that."

"She won't. Not for a long while, anyway," Twilight said with a sigh. "At least we got the villains that did this. Vein Mine is in custody and...what happened to Heatstroke? I left so quickly that I..."

"He...he picked a fight with the guards that went after him. They had to put him down," All Might replied.

"Hmm...shame," Twilight replied. All Might raised an eyebrow at her tone, but said nothing. She didn't need anymore guilt. Not right now. "Also...thank you All Might. For helping me with all of this. I can't imagine having to deal with all of this by myself. The villains, the attacks and...Sombra."

"You are welcome. I am simply doing what any hero would," All Might said. He then noticed a change in Twilight's face and he looked over at her, raising an eyebrow at what he saw. Twilight had a look of absolute fury on her face, one that All Might didn't think she was capable of making. "I know that look. That is the look of someone who has had enough. So tell me, Twilight...what's the plan?"

"The plan? The plan is that I'm done playing defense. Sombra wants to attack my friends, my family and hit me at the heart of where I live? Well two can play at that game. I haven't just been sitting on my flank and stuffing my face all these years since we've last fought. I've learned quite a number of things. We're not going to let him hurt anypony else. I can promise you that."

"You have a spell to find him? Neither Luna or Celestia could and they are your seniors," All Might pointed out.

"They were going about it the wrong way. See, I realized something after he attacked the Crystal Empire. If you want to find a normal pony, you use normal magic. But if you want to find a dark horse like him...you use dark magic."

"And you can use this magic...safely?" All Might asked. The smile that Twilight responded with gave him chills.

"We're about to find out."

==== | V | ====

"SOMBRA!"

"Oh, here we go," Sombra sighed. Sombra had just exited his secret workshop to find Chronos walking, well hobbling, towards him. "Are you sure it's safe for you to move at that speed in your old age? Because if you throw out a hip I'm getting my camera."

"Two. I've lost two of my allies all because of you and your plan!" Chronos snarled at Sombra. "Vein Mine has been captured and Heatstroke is dead!"

"Dead?" Sombra asked. "Are you sure?"

"Your shadows told me directly! Hole in his chest, shattered bones and ruptured organs! If that isn't dead, then-"

"So Twilight actually killed him? Ooh, I cannot imagine how that's going to eat her up," Sombra cackled, before a frown crossed his face. "Then again, she killed me twice and didn't lose any sleep over it. And those deaths were quite gruesome, mind you. Oh well, what goods a henchmen if they don't give their life serving you."

"Is that all they are to you? Pawns to be discarded?!" Chronos snarled.

"Yes, that is all any of you are," Sombra replied. Chronos took a step back in shock. Sombra's normally jovial smile was gone and his eyes were pitch black, with an aura coming off of him that Chronos had never felt before. "You, your allies and anything else I can get my hooves on are simply a means to an end. A means to my revenge. I will kill you all as many times as I must if it helps me to achieve my goals."

"You...you..." Chronos snarled.

"And you want to know something else? I am the reason your allies have fallen," Sombra whispered. "I am the one that created the spheres that boost their powers. The reason? Because those spheres will also steal their quirks when they are defeated. That's right. I've been sending your little group on suicide missions so I could harvest their quirks when they lost. All for my own, evil purpose. How's that?"

"You mean...from the beginning...you've been using us as pawns?" Chronos seethed. "Sombra, I swear I'll-"

Chronos' eyes went black and he went silent, standing up straight without moving. Sombra chuckled at the sight before walking over to the man.

"Here's a free bit of advice. Instead of screaming at the top of your lungs what you're about to do, how about you just do it? Here's an example. Instead of screaming that I was going to mind control you, I just did it anyway. And look, my plan worked. Had you just used your time stop to kill me, you might have done it. But instead, you just couldn't keep yer yap shut. What did I say? Idiots and heroes. Both so easy to control. And since you're not a hero, guess that makes you an idiot."

Sombra then shook his head and looked down at the stone. He still needed more time to hide the next orb for Warp Gate, but he also had to make some progress with White Noise. Then he glanced over his shoulder at Chronos and a wicked smile crossed his face.

"I've got to go hide this stone for that Warp Drive. But while I'm gone, I could use some help with White Noise. See, ever since I healed her, she's become somewhat attached to me. She might like me slightly less than she does you. So all I need to completely get her under my control...is a little push," Sombra smiled. "Chronos, go see White Noise and show her...how disappointing you are in her. And make it hurt."

Chronos said nothing and turned to leave, getting a chuckle out of Sombra before his horn began to glow. Yet right before he left, he heard a sound. Like a voop or a whoosh. Like somepony had made a vacuum. He used his magic to scan the area, but found no other traces of like. Sombra shrugged his shoulders and vanished a moment later, ready to lay out the next part of his plan.