• Published 31st Aug 2020
  • 8,132 Views, 385 Comments

The Reason to Smile - Onomonopia

  • ...
9
 385
 8,132

Toshinori

Toshinori Yagi let out a small grunt as the magic wore off, the effects of the spell bothering him far more than they did in the past. He rolled onto his side and spent a moment contemplating if he should hurl or not, but eventually he regained his composure and managed to sit upright.

"Hey. You're awake."

Yagi looked around to see that he was in a room made entirely of crystal, even the curtains to the room and the bed he was laying on. He was in the Crystal Empire. It was the only place that looked like this. Sitting next to him was Fluttershy, who had a small tray of tea and what looked like a candy bar. Yagi tried to get up, but Fluttershy placed a hoof on his chest to stop him. She did stop him. That was concerning.

"You need to rest. You are not well at all," she said softly. "You've lost a lot of muscle mass and you've much lighter than before. I don't know what Sombra did to you, but whatever it was caused your body to atrophy quickly. I've been keeping an eye on you to make sure that it doesn't get any worse."

"Thank you for your concern Fluttershy, but I am fine. See?" Toshinori then flexed and his body expanded to become the symbol of peace once more. He gave a smile and thumbs up to Fluttershy...before his body shuddered and he shrunk back down to his average person size once more. "Okay, maybe I'm not all right."

"What happened to you?" Fluttershy asked.

"That can wait. What happened to Twilight? To Sombra and Canterlot? Those that were caught up in our battle? And how long was I out?" Yagi asked all at once.

"Twilight is fine. She's with the others. Sombra...controls Canterlot now. And Ponyville. And a good chunk of the area nearby. Celestia and Luna have managed to evacuate everypony in Sombra's path to the Crystal Empire. They even have Chronos in a cell downstairs. And you've been out for a day. It seems your...small form couldn't handle the magic as well as All Might...your larger...you know what I mean. Here, have some tea. You're in no shape to be moving."

Toshinori was tempted to push the tea away and walk off to find Twilight, but sadly he knew Fluttershy was right. His whole body hurt, his legs felt like jelly and he couldn't switch back to his muscle form. He had pushed himself, and his quirk, too hard. He took a sip of the tea, surprised to find that it was jasmine, before he turned his thoughts back to Sombra.

The dark king had taken his strongest blow, which should have been impossible. The United States of Smash was his ultimate attack, his final blow against villain. There was no villain in the world, not even...him, that could stand against its might. And yet Sombra had. Sombra had defeated both Twilight and himself. So what should he do now?

"Thank you for this," Toshinori said as he handed his empty cup back to Fluttershy. He then swung his legs over the side of the bed, forced himself to stand up and grunted as he struggled to stay upright. Fluttershy moved next to him and moved his hand onto her back so that he was using her for support. "I need to find Twilight. You are not going to stop me, are you?"

"I know that look in your eye. That's the hero look. I doubt I could stop you even if I wanted to," Fluttershy said. Then she smiled at Toshinori. "Besides, a little exercise should do you some good. I bet your muscles are stiff from being in bed for so long."

And from having been kicked around by Sombra. But Toshinori didn't say anything as Fluttershy helped him out of the room and through the crystal palace. He could faintly feel his strength returning to him as he walked, but he wasn't sure how long it would take for his full might to return. He had only thrown that punch once before and it had been a long time ago.

He focused back on the here and now when Fluttershy pushed open a door and led Toshinori into what looked like a war room. Twilight was inside, along with nearly all of her friends (minus Rainbow Dash), Celestia and Luna, as well as Shining Armor and Cadence, the two that All Might had helped rescue when Vein Mine and Heatstroke attacked the empire. Twilight stopped talking and turned her head to face Toshinori when he entered, letting out a sigh of relief when she saw him.

"With how bad you looked after the fight, I was afraid that you might not get up again," Twilight said. She looked over Toshinori and shook her head, worry in her eyes. "But to see you like this...Sombra really did a number on you, huh?"

"This isn't Sombra's fault. Not entirely," Toshinori grunted. He then turned to look at a crystal map that had all of Equestria laid out on it, with the sections that Sombra controlled covered in darkness. "I need to be brought up to speed. What happened while I was out?"

"Sombra has wasted no time," Applejack said. "He's taken Canterlo, Ponyville,a good section of the Everfree forest and every village or town that is close to the mountain. Ah don't know if he's growing in power or just expanding his influence, but he is wasting no time. And we can't afford to either. Twi was just beginning to tell us the next plan of attack."

"I'll get to that in a moment. But first...I would like to know what you meant by this isn't Sombra's fault," Twilight asked. "Are you saying that you're somehow responsible for the way you look?"

Toshinori looked around the room at the other ponies, all of who were looking at him with concern, before he let out a sigh and sat down on a crystal chair.

"You have all helped me during my time here. It is only right that I tell you the truth. My name is Toshinori Yagi. And I...was born quirkless," he admitted. The ponies looked at each other in confusion, telling him he needed to clarify. "While nearly everyone on my planet has a quirk, there are a few unlucky souls who are born without any power whatsoever."

"But, we've seen your quirk darling," Rarity said. "The giant muscles, the unbelievable power, the speed...the muscles..."

"Yes. I have a quirk now. And not just any quirk, the strongest quirk in my world. One for All." As he said this, his eyes illuminated and for a moment it looked like seven stars shone over his head. "My quirk was passed to me by my former mentor. Nana Shimura. A kind and wonderful hero who saw in me the potential of a true hero. So when she believed me to be ready, she gave me her quirk. A quirk that she had received from her mentor. A quirk whose power you've all seen firsthand."

"So your mentor passed on the quirk to you...wait a moment, are you telling us that you've burned up your quirk in the fight with Sombra?" Fluttershy asked.

"Not entirely. Remember when I first told you about the villains from my world and how every quirk has a weakness? Well, mine is no different. My quirk is that I have phenomenal strength, speed and durability. The down side is that I have all of that. Throwing out that kind of power in a fight can tear apart my body if I'm not careful, destroying me as much as I destroy my opponents. My more muscular form can soften the kickback my body takes, but when I start to throw around power like the United States of Smash...well, even it can only handle so much."

"The United States of Smash...is that you're ultimate move?" Celestia asked.

"Yes. All of my might in one, single punch. Something that no villain has ever withstood...until now," Toshinori said. He clenched a fist in front of his face, before sighing as he lowered his head.

"It seems that with the quirks from your world, along with his already considerable magical might, Sombra may be a threat that none of us can handle alone," Luna pointed out.

"I agree. Even the Crystal Heart wouldn't do much to him now," Cadence added on. "Twilight, Sombra is your foe. Do you have a plan for beating him?"

"I...I have a few ideas. At best. First off, All Might...Toshinori...how long until you think you'll be back at full strength again?"

"It will be a few days before I'm back to peak form. But give me a few more hours and I'll be able to get back into the fight," Toshinori said.

"Alright, that helps...my plan is that All Might and I go to where the Tree of Harmony is and retrieve my Element," Twilight explained. "It's clear that neither All Might nor I have the power to take Sombra down on our own. So I'm bring out the big guns."

"And what about us?" Rarity asked. "You cannot just expect us to sit on the sidelines and allow the two of you to risk your lives fighting this monster alone?"

"That is exactly what you will be doing," Twilight replied. All of her friends gave her a look in reply, forcing Twilight to sigh as she hung her head. "Look, I love you all. You're all my best friends...but this is my fight. Everytime you come along with me to fight Sombra and his forces, you all get hurt. Pinkie nearly lost a leg and Rainbow Dash...I will not have you all risk your lives in this. I am the one who was chosen to protect Equestria. I was the one who chose this path, the path of protecting this world. I am the number one. So please, let me do this. Don't get yourselves killed for my sake."

Off to the side, Toshinori nodded at her words.

"Well...it's a bit late for that."

Twilight spun around to see a sight straight out of a horror movie. Rainbow Dash, covered head to hoof in bandages, was slowly limping into the room. Applejack let out a gasp as she raced to her side, while RD kept her eyes glued to Twilight. "Because from how I look, it's clear I was ready to get myself killed to help you."

"Rainbow Dash...you should be in bed. You shouldn't be moving," Twilight said.

"Oh how I wish I could. But then I heard that our resident team leader was making some stupid decisions and that was my job, so I came by to see what was up. And what do I find?" Rainbow asked with a smirk. "That you think you've got to do this on your own. That because you're the princess of Equestria and the number one hero, that means you have to bear the burden yourself. Well good luck princess, because you're going to fail."

"What?" Twilight asked in disbelief. "You...don't believe in me?"

"Of course I believe in you. I believe you're smart, you're incredibly skilled in magic and that you might be more stubborn than me," Rainbow admitted. Then her smile fell from her face. "But Sombra is far smarter. He's a far greater magician. And I promise you there is no other pony on this rock as stubborn as him. So as much as I believe in you, I also know what happens if you try to go up alone against him. You'll lose."

"But...but what am I supposed to do?" Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes before smiling at Twilight.

"Simple. Let us help you," Rainbow said.

"No. I can't. The last time I did that, you ended up...like this," Twilight said. "You getting involved in my fight nearly got you killed."

"And if I hadn't gotten involved, you would have died," Rainbow pointed out. "Stop trying to do all of this on your own."

"But...but..."

Rainbow Dash slowly lifted a hoof and slapped it against the side of Twilight's face. The blow barely moved Twilight's head, but the look in Twilight's eyes showed the blow had stunned her.

"Twilight, you are one of the strongest and kindest ponies I know. There is nopony other than you I would want ruling Equestria. But just because you're our number one and our princess...doesn't mean you have to do everything alone," Rainbow softly said. "All of our greatest threats, all of the challenges and foes we've faced...we've beaten them together. Not because we had to rely solely on you. Yeah there were times when you carried us...but isn't that what friends do? Carry each other through the hard times? And it looks like right now, with how bad things are and how screwed we seem, that you could use your friends."

"But...Sombra..."

"So what if Sombra's smarter than you. So what if he's tougher or far more stubborn. He might be "better" than you, he might be better than me or any of our friends...but I guarantee that he's not better than us."

Rainbow then gently moved her hoof from Twilight's face to her shoulder, smiling at her friend as best she could. Pinkie walked over next and placed her hoof next to Rainbow's, smiling at Twilight as well. Rarity and Fluttershy joined in next, before Applejack finished off by placing her hoof next to Rainbow's. Twilight looked around at all of her friends smiles, with tears welling up in her eyes.

"So come on, let us help you save the world," Rainbow asked. "Let's be the greatest heroes once again. Let us win this together."

Twilight lowered her head, hiding her eyes under her mane. For a moment, nopony dared to make a sound. Her friends were hoping that she would come to her senses, while Toshinori hoped she remembered what was important. That she wouldn't drag her friends to their potential death. Luna, Cadence and Shining weren't sure what to expect. And Celestia simply had a smile on her face, knowing her student would make the right choice.

"Heh, even after all these years, I can still be an idiot, can't I? Girls..." Twilight slowly raised her head a she said this, looking each of her friends in the eyes with a sad look on her face. Then a smile broke out and a fire burned within her eyes as all of her friends smiled back.

"Let's go save the world."