• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,791 Views, 33 Comments

Of Earth Ponies and Their Magicks - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle reopens her study on Pinkius Piecus and her strange, chaotic abilities.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,791

Explanation, attempt 1

Pinkie Pie stood in Sugarcube Corner, much the same way she had for the last ten seconds. Hey—she gets bored easily.

Suddenly, her tail went twitcha-twitch.

Scanning the room quickly, she walked over to Pound Cake (who had been playing happily on the floor against the wall), took his tail gently in her mouth, and pulled him a pace back from the wall. Not two seconds later, a framed picture fell, shattering its glass noisily, and landing right where the little pegasus had been sitting. Pound Cake found this greatly amusing, and laughed uproariously, as only a little foal can.

“Oh, sure,” Pinkie faux-scolded him, bending down and looking at him with one wide, accusing periwinkle eye. “You laugh at that, but don't laugh at my jokes? You, young mister, have a twisted sense of humor.”

Pound Cake's response? To boop her on the nose.

Now Pinkie laughed. She looked up to see Twilight, who had witnessed the whole thing. “Hi, Twilight!” she called happily.

Twilight's mind was rather boggled. Again. “I still don't know how you do that, but I'm sure the Cakes are glad you can.”

Pinkie picked up the still-giggling Pound and cuddled him happily. “Yep, yep! And Pound here is pretty glad, too! As much as I love throwing parties, a 'yay-you're-finally-out-of-the-hospital-now!-party just isn't my thing, especially for foals, mainly because there usually is a lot of crying and not smiling or laughing before getting to the party part, so even though they're fun, what leads up to them makes them not as fun as normal parties.”

Twilight found she had to agree, though she was sure she differed from Pinkie on opinions of what “normal” really was.

Pinkie set the little pegasus down on the counter, where he quickly found a bowl of vanilla icing and joyfully stuck his hooves in. Pinkie, of course, remained completely oblivious to this misuse of bakery resources. She just smiled broadly at Twilight. “But I know you didn't come in here to try to watch for my Pinkie Sense again, right?”

Twilight shook her head to clear it. “Oh, right. I was in here for something important.”

“Well, duh! Everything we do here is important!”

Twilight sincerely doubted that, but the last thing she wanted was for Pinkie to go off on another tangent, so she placed her order and left quickly.

* * *

A few days later, Twilight was sharing her thoughts with her friends over crème sodas. “I don't care how many times I see it, I can never get used to it,” Twilight said. Rainbow Dash had already finished half of hers, and Fluttershy was battling a brain freeze. Applejack listened with mild interest, and Rarity sat primly at attention. Twilight continued her rant. “I mean, obviously she can predict things, but it makes no sense! I just can't figure it out!”

Rarity took a dainty sip before responding. "Oh, Twilight. One does not simply figure out Pinkie Pie," she said. (1) “She just.... is. I thought we had this discussion before?”

“I know,” Twilight said,”and I obviously believe them, but it has just been bothering me for a while. It's just so...”

Her friends tried to help by providing adjectives.

“Unbelievable?”

“Confusing?”

“Complicated.”

“Puzzling?”

“Astounding.”

“Mind-boggling?”

“Trippy.”

“Mind blowing?”

“Uh... confusing?”

“We used that 'un already, Rainbow.” (2)

“No,” Twilight interrupted. “Never mind. I've already forgotten it.” This was an obvious lie.

“Forgotten what?” Pinkie Pie appeared again, possibly from under the table.

At this sudden reappearance, Twilight lost it. “You! Your magical abilities that make no sense! Your randomness and your craziness and I want to know how it works and.... how did you even get here anyway?”

Pinkie nodded sagely. “The answer to your question is, I walked over here.”

Twilight fought the urge to facehoof. Applejack couldn't hide a snort of laughter, and tried to disguise it as a cough and cover it by taking another drink. Unfortunately, she hadn't finished laughing, and ended up choking on her drink, causing her to start coughing and creating a mild disruption.

Pinkie waited politely until Applejack had recovered. “Buuut.... if you really want to know...” She took a deep breath, not to talk, but to confess. Twilight huddled in hungrily.

"So.... as I figure you might have guessed.... I'm not exactly a normal pony."

Twilight nodded eagerly. "So what are you, Pinkie?"

"Well, I'm still a pony, silly."

"Ya don't say," Applejack deadpanned.

"But I'm not using normal magic. There's another kind of magic that's even deeper. I'll show you." She stood up on her back hooves as if giving a lesson at some prestigious university. (3) “Magic is something you study and practice. It only happens when you decide to do it, and it's meant to make something specific that you choose to happen, happen.”

Twilight thought that that explanation sounded vaguely familiar. She nodded.

“But we used the Elements of Harmony, even without training, right?”

Twilight nodded again.

“Big, powerful magic, with no idea what would happen or how to do it, but we used it anyway. This magic is like that. It's a deeper magic than just unicorn magic. See, making someone happy is the best and strongest kind of magic. Seeing somepony else's day brighten? That's such a magical feeling. And that's all I do. So when I make ponies smile, smile, smile, it releases magic, and I just use it. I don't know how, but I do.”

Twilight didn't say much for the rest of the afternoon.

Extract from the journal of Twilight Sparkle
3 Orion 3980
Today Pinkie Pie explained her randomness and seemingly impossible abilities as deeper magic, which comes from making other ponies happy. While this would seem to flow well with the idea of the Elements of Harmony (power from good ideals and actions), I must admit that I have seen nothing like this before. I have seen no references in any of my prior studies. Further research is required. Will return to notebook documenting Pinkius Piecus.

Extract from the journal of Twilight Sparkle
17 Orion 3980
I am quite confused. I have been unable to find any reference to this "deeper magic" Pinkie mentioned, the magic of making ponies happy. Theoretically, it seems sound, yet I have found not a single reference to it in any of the magic books in my library. Yes, I'm still focused on that. No, I don't care. No, I don't think it's wasted time; this is research!
I'm arguing with myself in my own journal. This can't be good.

Extract from the journal of Twilight Sparkle
23 Orion 3980
[it appears to be a series of random scratches, doodles, and variations of the phrase, “the deeper magic is a lie”.]