• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 3,457 Views, 93 Comments

Wishbone Equestria - Dirty Bit



Wait a damn minute...How in the hoof did he end up here!?

  • ...
5
 93
 3,457

Prologue

Here we are. Another usual day in Ponyville where things kick major flank. Not a thing seemed to be wrong so far, and that counted for something. It could be considered the third day without an accident that befell the town. Sadly, that streak ends today. What makes it funnier is that this story doesn't start directly in Ponyville. Let's move to the dangerous place full of creatures and things that can be considered unorderly towards many ponies: The Everfree Forest.

Twilight trotted through the forest with her assistant and de facto little brother Spike sitting on her back after collecting some herbal tea from their resident zebra friend Zecora. Twilight smiled while she made her way back home "I can't wait to brew this tea when we arrive at the library! If what Zecora said was true, this would possibly be one of the best brews of her kind."

Spike inspected the closed satchel over Twilight's midsection as he scratched his head "Do you think it might have a pungent aftertaste like the other teas we've been drinking lately? Don't get me wrong, I love tea, but I'm looking for a little variety in flavor!"

Twilight looked back to Spike "I'm sure it might be as different as you claim, Spike. All that matters is getting this back into Ponyville and maybe inviting our friends over for a cup or two!"

Spike hopped off of Twilight's back and his smile widened "Yeah! Especially Rarity..." And as expected from Twilight, the mention of the alabaster unicorn's name caused Spike to drift into a romantic euphoria and out of his world as he swayed about.

Twilight gave an unamused sigh and rolled her eyes at Spike as she looked back to him, but she perked up when she noticed the purple dragon was about to trip over a branch "Spike, watch-" Too late. He tripped over the branch and into a nearby bush "...out..." Twilight finished in a dull tone as she trotted over to inspect any damage "Spike, are you alright?"

Spike was inside the bush and he lifted his face from the ground as he shook his head and spat out any dirt that made its way into his mouth. When he rubbed his eyes he muttered to himself about being more careful when thinking about Rarity and moving about like an idiot. He should count himself lucky he didn't do any unnecessary pirouettes around Twilight. Before he went to get on his feet, he looked ahead and noticed the strangest sight with a small gasp.

In front of the little dragon's eyes was what appeared to be a strange skull of sorts. It wasn't equine nor draconic in structure. Not even of any animal seen in the forest. But what set Spike off other than the strange bold red '9' on its forehead was the tantalizing rubies that stuck out of its eye sockets as they leered back at him. However, that did not matter as the purple dragon drooled at the sight 'Oh man, lucky me! I'll just take the rubies and...' When he reached for one of the rubies, he poked the right one with his left claw. What he did not expect was the skull to instantly shut its eye out of nowhere and elicit a pained moan, causing Spike to jump up and scream as he flew out of the bushes and into Twilight when she went to find him.

When the two laid on the ground after their collision, Twilight shook off her dizziness and glared at Spike "What is your problem, Spike? Why did you just jump out like that all of the sudden!"

Spike stammered as he alternated between his claws that pointed to the bushes "S-Skull! Rubies! It moved!!" No doubt the purple dragon sounded like a complete neighenderthal when he is deep in shock.

Twilight picked herself up and brushed herself off as she looked at the bush "You're speaking nonsense again, Spike! Did you say you found rubies in this bu-GAAAH!!!" Her hair stood on end when she noticed the skull fly out of the bush and hover in front of her and Spike. It leered with the same ominous glare as it gave Spike while it gave a low growl.

"Insolent reptile of purple scales!
When will you learn to clip your nails!?"

Spike pointed "Th-There it is!!" He paused before he screamed "It talks! And it rhymes just like Zecora! We're doomed!!"

Twilight would gladly fend off whatever spirit chose to wreak havoc, but her body was frozen in fear. She had never had to deal with any known spirits, especially since she didn't believe in ghosts. Instead, she found her voice as she tried to speak "Who-...Who are you?? Are you some kind of evil pony spirit who passed on in the Everfree Forest?"

The skull scoffed while it floated in the air and it spoke in more verse

"I don't know about evil, but I'm indeed a spirit!
You need not my eyes for which to see it!
My name is Thromnambular, and I have a gift
For you especially, if my curse you shall lift!"

Twilight was now intrigued as she tilted her head "A curse? What kind of curse are you talking about? Did a unicorn wizard do this to you?"

"That is a matter of personal means.
But you shouldn't converse when we must switch scenes...
Take me back to your humble abode,
So we may discuss matters further in eloquent code."

Twilight rubbed her chin and considered the option. When she turned to Spike, he frantically shook his head and waved his arms in a 'no way' motion. Obviously, he wanted the only sane pony he knew (Not counting 'The day') to make a rational decision. Sadly, his gestures fell on blind eyes as Twilight turned back to Thromnambular "I'll take you back, but I'll have to keep you hidden in my satchel so nopony will see you. We wouldn't want to cause a disturbance..." Thromnambular chuckled.

"A wise choice, my lavender mare,
To hide me away out of personal care.
I have yet to judge your true desire
And see if it does not lead you to fire..."

Twilight paused before she looked away awkwardly "Ooookay~..." She lit up her horn and she wrapped the strange talking skull in a magic aura as she stuffed him away in her free satchel, buttoning it up for safety. The satchel moved as complaining muffles were heard "Maybe I should give him some air..."

Spike glared at Twilight "Are you out of your mind!? We can't just take this thing back into Ponyville! That thing reeks of evil!!"

Twilight inspected the moving satchel "I wouldn't be too worried, Spike. This wouldn't be our first time dealing with a powerful menace. And I can always write to Princess Celestia about this. Besides, this is something that probably hasn't been seen in Equestria for the longest time! I'm sure he could answer our questions if he's willing to comply!"

Spike faceclawed "You and your studious behavior...We really need to get you out of the library more often..." He looked bitter when he noticed that not only was his remark ignored, Twilight made for Ponyville about ten paces ahead of him. He waddled after the lavender bookworm as they headed back home for the day.
_____

In the library, Twilight carefully pulled out Thromnambular from his cryptic leather dungeon so that he was able to gasp for air (Surprisingly). The strange talking skull was then placed on the main lobby's coffee table as he leered at Twilight and Spike, the lavender bookworm stepping forward "Okay. We're here and there's nopony around to-" She gave her surroundings a sound perimeter check before continued "-bother us. So why don't you share more about yourself, Thromnambular?" The skull nodded and cleared his throat.

"As you can plainly see, I'm naught but a head,
But I carry a gift, as I've earlier said!
What makes me an amazing asset to you
Is that I can grant wishes, and nine of them, too!"

Twilight and Spike gasped with eyes wide as dinner plates "You grant wishes!? Like a-"

"Please, for my sake, do not call me a genie just yet,
But as for granting those wishes, yes, you bet!"

Twilight smiled "This is so amazing! A skull that can grant wishes!" She looked away as she thought out loud "Are there certain limitations to what you can grant anypony? Also, do you have to be specific in terms of making said wish to make sure that nothing goes wrong? Because, I already have a couple of wishes on my mind that I wish for you to grant if you would be so ki-" When she looked back, she noticed with shock that Thromnambular was not on the coffee table as she placed him there before "He's gone! Did he lie about what he said to us!?" Twilight looked angry "We cannot let him roam free like this! Spike! We should hurry and go find-" She expected her assistant to move double time, but when she turned to see him, he wasn't there at all. Twilight also noticed that the door was strangely left open. There could be only one plausible theory to what has happened:

Spike had been possessed by Thromnambular and needs to be stopped in his tracks before anything gets out of hoof.

Twilight quickly made her way out of the library and into Ponyville to begin the search for her number one assistant and the skull that was possessing him. The hunt was on...

It begins...