• Published 3rd Apr 2020
  • 7,126 Views, 273 Comments

Indomitable - Slendy



The long trek of a wayward Human now Lucario lost in the world of Equestria, he needs to find a way home, with a little help from a new acquaintance, issue is, can he find his way home or will he choose to stay?

  • ...
15
 273
 7,126

Chp. 21 - One Step Forward, Another Back

"Little more to the right!" I shuffled my feet across the scaffold. "Hold it there for a moment," I did, pressing my claws against the pallet over my head, feeling the load lighten gradually. "Perfect, you can drop it now!" Lowering it down the scaffold, I handed the pallet down to the those of the Royal Guard, even without wings or magic they sure had the body strength of ten

Up above, the Bat who looked like your standard foreman of construction waved a hoof to me. "Nice work, lad! But you sure 'bout workin'? After all you've done?"

"I caused some of the damage during the fight, it's only right I help clean up my mess," I offered back, then flexed my right arm, patting the firm slim muscle. "I feel fine, maybe a little exhausted but still raring to go."

He nodded, handing a beam over to two more Bats to carry up the large wall of the house damaged by a previous fire blast. "We're indebted to ya lad and your lass, Yui, was it?" I nodded and he chuckled. "Luck favors Blackrock today, passing along you both!"

The damage Dead-Eye caused to Blackrock Hollow wasn't massive, but many buildings and roads were torn apart, and the square where I fought the Deviant was the worst, being burnt and uprooted almost entirely, not to mention the corpse was still being defrosted thanks in-part to Yui dropping gallons of water for me to use Ice Punch on. Had it not been for Rest I may not be standing so proudly. Had I forced Yui to run... there might not be a Blackrock anymore.

Wonder what Yui's doing now? "Hey, Zen was it?" Jumping from my stupor I spun my head down to see two Bats waving to me. "Mind giving some of us a hand offloading some more wooden beams, should be all we need to fix these houses in no time flat?"

"Sure, heads up!" I swung my legs up and over the scaffold, palms clapped together for the labor ahead. "Let's move it, people!"


[Yui's POV]

Back at my home, I could finally relax after the crazy course of the day's events, from arriving back home, facing my family again and more recently the fight with Yian Garuga, who was dead for sure this time. I dropped a water tower on it, I'd highly doubt anything could get up after that, let alone after being frozen in a glacier. I wanted to help out with the repairs myself but Zen was insistent on me spending time with my parents again, much as it was still bothering me that he wasn't back yet.

Sighing as I helped my Mom prepare dinner I kept my mind on Zen. "That idiot, he shouldn't be pushing himself," My dicing of the vegetables grew with precision under my irritation, I wasn't wearing my cloak so there wasn't much to hide my expression. "Perfectly healed or not I can't imagine he has any energy left by this point," "...idiot."

"Worrying over your friend will cut more than just the vegetables, sweetie," My Mom's remark made me drop the knife as I realized I had started digging into the chopping board. Holding my frown in a fine line she giggled. "I guess all that time away from home improved your cooking."

That made me smile bashfully, "I, um, n-not really... this skill is recent." I shuffled over to the pot to check the soup, using the same method Zen taught me before arriving here, and later thoughts of that night were quickly suppressed for the time being. Brushing my mane out of my left eye and behind my ear I added. "I've learned alot recently, medicinal herbs and how to use them, utilizing my wing more effectively..."

I heard the front door swing open and I immediately perked up, much to my Mom's soft hum, then my excitement dropped as it was just Dad and Vega, both looking a little drained from helping around Blackrock. Where is he? It's been like five hours? See if he's passed out somewhere it's his fault.

"How're the repairs around town going?" Mom asked them, both setting themselves down at the dining table, Vega looked more haggard than Dad, but his endurance would scare away dragons if he pushed himself

"Fine, given the extensive damage done by fires mostly, you'd expect it to take longer," He crossed his hooves. "But that Zen character's been darting back and forth with those crazy abilities of his, moving supplies and lending a hoof, or paw I suppose, to the repairs."

"Even though he was partially responsible, but yeah, he's still helping," Vega's remark made my stirring of the soup more furrow as I examined the rest of the pots to keep my mind away from anything negative. It's like he forgot it was me and Zen who both trashed the place and helped fill in for his useless flank

"I do hope he doesn't overwork himself, reminds me alot of you boys now that I think of it," That made me snort a laugh at my Mom's stern pout, a wing poking at the two paling Bats in the room. "You both better not exsert yourselves, I'll let today side given the circumstances, but honestly, learn from the past, Caleb, and Vega, don't go copying everything your Dad does," She smirked. "I'm not always around to say I told you so."

"Pfft, but it's worth it," I bumped my hoof to my Mom's as we giggled to the bemused boys behind us

We continued in silence for a few more minutes, everything was nearly ready, and I'm not sure how far Zen can go to send a thought my way, I'm not even sure how I managed to do it the last time, maybe he did it on instinct? He's gotten better with Aura over the weeks. Like all trains of thought, they come to an end when someone speaks to me directly.

"Yui, tell me," Vega began while I waved a hoof for him to continue. "Where exactly did you find that pet of yours, Zen?" My hoof froze over a pot, my ears twitched at the word. "From how Topaz reacted she certainly didn't like you both for something that happened in Ponyville, and those powers of its, he might very well be as dangerous as that monster that attacked us."

There was a tensed few seconds I stared down at the soup, my smile never faltered as I slowly moved back to lower the temperature of the soup, leaving it to simmer. "Vega, let me be straight with you; His name is Zen, he's not my 'Pet', and he has risked his life for me and dozens more against monsters just like the one you saw today," I put a hoof to my heart. "He's reckless, and idiot, and completely selfless... he might not care but I do, don't ever refer to him as another mindless animal around me again."

*Knock-Knock-Knock*

"...I'm sensing hostility, should I come back later oooor?" A muffled voice reached the door. Thank Luna. Stepping out of the kitchen I didn't hesitate to pull the door open to the sheepish expression on Zen's face. He went rigid, noting that I was pouting angrily at him. "Yep, I'm going back," My wing yanked him through by the tail

"Five hours. Five. Hours. Zen," Running a hoof down my muzzle I closed the door. "I get you can heal and stuff but I told you that doesn't work on stamina, and exserting yourself further, honestly," With a sigh I smiled and flicked his nose. "Come on, perfectly timed for dinner."

"Is that all he can say?" Vega pointed out and we both looked to one another then I motioned forward

"Right, well, nobody freak out, Zen's just gonna make it easier to communicate," At my assurance and the apprehension in the room, Zen cracked his fingers and closed his eyes for a moment, a faint wave of light blue enveloping those feeler-things on his head.

"There, everyone can hear me now, right?" Vega's head shot in every direction like a deer, my Dad merely raised a brow, does nothing phase that stallion, and my Mom... was now standing right in front of him, stars gathered in her eyes. "I'm having second thoughts..."

"You had a first thought?" I asked curiously with a nudge

"Yeah... 'oh fantastic' with a sarcastic drawl." He put his paw up with a stupid posh accent that had me stifle a chuckle

"Oh wow, perfect telepathy and translation into Equestrian!" She gushed over the ability a little more openly then I did when he first used it on me. "How does it work? With those things on the back of his head? Or is it magic?"

"Um... no, Aura, the energy produced by the soul," He stepped back and behind me while I tried to hold in an amused smile. "I'm using my aura to project my thoughts onto your own, so its a form of telepathy, it's how I used to speak with Yui before I made some weird magical-aura-thingy connection with her." He wiggled his paws at that, expression clearly stating he had no idea how he did that entirely

Mom leaned away, rubbing her chin. "Fascinating, a soul-bond, and a being capable of producing spiritual energy with ease, I've not heard of many sentient beings capable of such power..." Now she was starting to mutter to herself, so with a sigh and shake of my head I strolled back to keep the food from being overcooked as I dragged Zen along, himself looking between me and my Mom who was still falling down the rabbit hole

"Don't worry yourself, Zen," Dad spoke up, trotting over to shake Mom out of it. "Once she's starts contemplating there's almost no chance you can break it."

"And how do you--" We all winced as his hoof came swiping across Mom's cheek, her eyes blinking before she smiled

"Oh? Hehehe, blacked out for a second there, thanks, love!" She kissed his cheek before skipping back to us. I and Zen leaned close with a hoof and paw hiding out mouths

"Somehow alot of things about you make sense," He illuminated quietly. This closed off any rebuttal I could make, slumping

"Yep, welcome to my life." It is not a normal life but it is mine


[Zen's POV]

I feel really awkward still. You know Yui's parents are as she described them, her Mom is... scarily similar to mine, I could already imagine the destabilization of the country if both really put their minds together. Her Dad was... a completely different person, sure he was stoic and wasn't the kind of Bat-Pony to let his words describe himself more-so his actions, to which Yui's Mom happily recounted that I found very enjoyable. Both met within the Night Guard, and despite the polar opposite personalities both were great company.

Yui's brother, Vega was, in a word, respectful. He had a good story or two, and his reluctance to work alongside Topaz was apparently the biggest chain of events in his time up at Canterlot, turns out she's been the friend to help mellow him out, and it shows, no wonder they're working together for a joint operation, sadly he failed to mention anything about it. However, while I never made it obvious, there was simmering envy tipped toward me in particular, seems he doesn't like the fact I and Yui are so close, I'm praying he doesn't try to draw two-and-two together. Too much awkwardness for one day and this was about aiding Yui in healing her relations with her parents, which was working effortlessly.

"--it all happened in a flash, the Glavenus was tearing Ponyville apart, and yet a pack of small animals with powers that would make a Unicorn jealous swoop in to help Zen before the thing could lob his head off!" She elegantly described this point by drawing a hoof across her neck, my gaze flat at her chuckle

"You make it sound like I was completely helpless, I got swatted into a building to protect you," I jabbed my finger against her chest, seeing her stifle her laugh

"Which I'm grateful for, to you and to Taka," Yui slumped with a shiver. "I honestly felt my life flash before my eyes."

I took a sip of my drink, having met those flashing images plenty of times. "Be thankful it wasn't a normal Glavenus, they use fire instead of acid -- I'm weak to fire, remember?"

"You sound as though you've faced more than the monsters here in Equestria?" Violet announced, all eyes drawn to me as I let the list of names roll in my head like a track. FYI, no talky about the other world situation, the fewer headaches the better, just the stories of our adventures is enough

"Um, let's see. I've technically fought a whole roster of powerful monsters, but the ones in Equestria I've generally fought," I rubbed my chest gingerly. "Yian Garuga was by far the worst, fire and a potent poison that nearly killed me."

"And you're sure none of it is still in your system?" The look on Yui's face was sweet, and I know what she was implying, I thought I was fine after Nargacuga but its poison lingered in my body and nearly cost me fighting Acidic Glavenus, a mistake I don't intend on making again. Patting her hoof I held my thumb up with a comical wink

"Yes, certainly, absolutely." This whole idolization of me was starting to get a little embarrassing, so I cleared my throat and pointed to Yui. "So... you gonna talk about your magic powers or is this still a conversation to boost my ego?"

"I..." Yui lowered her hoof slowly, unable to make a counterpoint as Caleb spoke up

"In my years serving in the Guard I've only ever known one other caster who wasn't a Unicorn," His eyes reflected a great deal of earnest. "He did terrible things, using magic even Princess Celestia herself never knew of, and it always cost Equestria greatly," He unfolded his hooves, smiling gently. "But you are nothing like him, and your control over this 'Moom Magic' is fascinating."

What was this guy, a Necromancer, or something? Beside me, Yui was bubbling with glee at the compliment, clearly, the events of her past were thrown to the wind, and her Dad was supportive and meant every word, this was good, given all Yui#s been through she deserves it. Violet spoke up again with a motherly smile.

"Just hearing about your adventures is lovely, reminds me when I and your Father were younger... trying to save the world," He snorted at that, bumping a hoof to her shoulder

"You mean when we were trying to save it after we caused the problem?" That tidbit of information made us blink with surprise, and Violet's mouth hung open momentarily before shutting with a nervous smile

"You agreed with me about touching the cube." She crossed her hooves

"After I told you not to a dozen times..." He remained her, so she turned back to poke his muzzle

"But you and Red both agreed amongst yourselves, and you were the ones that found it to begin with..." I feel this was going to spiral out of control now

Thankfully, Vega cleared his throat. "They'll be doing this for a few minutes..." His eyes met ours. "I wanted to know, is that strange mist spell the only one you know?"

Yui shook her head. "Nope, I can mask myself and another from anyone's presence, and there's one more but I haven't had any real reason to use it given Zen's ability to be a one-wolf army." She smiled proudly at her talent in the arcane while I bowed

"Your words please me milady." She and I laughed after my horrid excuse for a posh, British accent, my ancestors would be ashamed

Vega chuckled himself, "Well, I thank you for taking care of my sister, she... can be a hooful," While he meant it, I too picked up on what he meant, and from how Yui's aura reacted to the term, 'Sister' it was still raw to her. "No one in the Night Guard can use magic outside of Princess Luna, and yours is similar toward her style, only with more breaking of opals than actual magic."

"The magic I use is connected to the primal source of Moon Magic, the same that the Princess uses," Yui elaborated, and that concentration on her face was back, almost like a teacher. So I rested my head on my paw and listened. "Before Princess Celestia and Luna were even born, the rulers prior to their rule held the wisdom and talents of the arcane, the power for all creatures across Equestria to harness magic from their primal sources,"

"Long ago, magic was a power anyone could use, it connected us fundamentally to the Earth and to magic itself. The history of that time is what I've been piecing together with breadcrumbs left behind, it's how I'm able to use Moon Magic because I copied the spells I found for later practice," Her expression said it all, wonder, pride, joy, the very qualities she portrayed as a Treasure Hunter, and I loved it. "Beings like Discord and Grogar have distorted Equestria over the centuries, and that era in our history has been lost ever since."

The two adults in the room were still going back and forth and hadn't realized the conversation had moved on. That being said, I wish it did for what Vega said next, "Amazing really, since the Night Guard is comprised of just us Bat-Ponies we're more accustom to infiltration and stealth over direct confrontation, so against Unicorns or other magical beings it's a pain," He grinned at the idea twinkling in his eyes. "Imagine having the same spells you use, and all you do it crush a moon opal and say a name, heh, we'd certainly be a force to be reckoned wi--"

"Not going to happen," Yui's answer was direct and immediate, finally drawing the two ex-Guards back to the chat, and the tension building. "I'm recovering lost magic that no other pony has seen in generations, you honestly believe it's a smart idea to just throw them to everyone willy-nilly?"

Vega scoffed, "You can control them--" She put her hoof up

"I've spent months practicing with dozens of Moon-type spells and only three I can safely use. The side-effects of using spells without proper training and control include, ahem; Magic exhaustion, magic feedback, deliriousness, fever, migraine, and sometimes, and this has happened to me once, a sickness that leaves you bedridden for three days, and yes I counted, the worst week of my life," Yui shuddered as I stared blankly at her

Compared to my moves which at first could cause muscles to tear or bones to fracture, Yui didn't have any form of healing like I have, alone she risked her well-bring to master just three spells alone, and I've just learned complete control in a matter of days. If my admiration for Yui wasn't already peaked it'd have grown higher, she... really is amazing. Heh, almost starting to feel a little unworthy to have the kind of relationship I have with her.

Vega grunted, clear animosity in his heart. But Yui knew better than any of us. Patting her chest she added. "I understand all of you are worried for me," Her only wing flapped. "I've been aware of my disadvantage for years, but I've taken risks time and again to make up for what I don't. I love you, but I'm a grown mare and capable of handling myself, so take my word, as an official Archeologist and explorer that I'm aware of the risks involved with this ancient magic and that I won't part with any of its knowledge so casually, not even to you, Zen."

I held my paws up. "I've got enough powers myself, you do you, Yui."

"That was very mature of you, Yui," Violet smiled, "Believe me, I too know of the dangers posed by relics of the past, so while my instincts are telling me to worry, as your Mother I trust you with all my heart."

"You aren't a little girl anymore, well, you are to me but -- hmm, you understand what I'm trying to say?" Her Dad was a little awkward about it but I think everyone got the message. That's what I'd like to say...

"...If this magic can help ponies across Equestria..." Vega started slowly, and I was reaching my tipping point with this guy, he's a straight asshole, full stop. "...keeping it to yourself is about the most selfish thing possible."

I was going to lose it, but I held the underside of the table with my claws, keeping my face as passive as possible. Yui... wasn't so keen on the same idea. "...here we go again, Vega, did anything I just say even remotely level with that thick skull of yours?" Her voice was cold and licked with venom. "I felt like I was dying for days after attempting one spell, and you want novices to try them? Are to dense?"

"We have the training and the appropriate measures to--" He was cut short by Yui's chuff morphing into a chuckle, then a full-blown laugh

"'You' have training? In what? Swinging a sword around in shiny armor?" She ridiculed. "Want to know how most villains appear through-out history? Power, they either crave it or are corrupted by it, that same corruption almost got to me but I was very lucky I didn't turn out like Discord or Nightmare Moon, and you think I'd ever trust ponies that have never used magic with spells as old as the Princesses? Seriously?"

With a huff, Yui stood up, "No, you know what? I'm done, I think I'll head off to bed," She was already making steady progress for the staircase. I wanted to stop her, but a felt a hoof press to my stomach, and there was the sadness that followed immediately after. Vega stood up from his chair and I realized why, so I bit my tongue and watched against my heart's reluctance

"So you're just going to run away again, seriously?" That forced Yui to stop, and rage shot back like an arrow plucked on a string. When she turned with a disinterested expression, Vega held a stern, and ashamed look toward her sister, I couldn't feel any trace of guilt on his part. "When things don't go your way you just run off, and you've said you've grown?"

"Yeah, which is clearly more than I can say for you," She fired back, stepping closer. "Unlike you, I've been pushing myself through Tartarus to get to where I am."

"Ah, yes, digging up dirt and finding cobwebs and old skeletons, hoarding ancient magic for yourself, yes, what an honor," He smiled smugly. "Me? I've been training day in and day out, put through back-breaking labor for the whole of Equestria while you went off and played explorer all day."

That alone stung inside Yui, and her rage started to boil like her face, twisted with disbelief and disgust. "'Back-breaking'? I nearly drowned no more than three days ago! Helped a monster that was being hunted by the same monster that attacked us today, you know, the one your compensation sword happened to shatter like a toothpick against! I've been there to help ponies fend off other monsters that would turn your so-called 'Night Guard' into mush!" Yui snapped, shoving her hoof against his chest

"Where were you when Ponyville was under attack multiple times by monsters? Where were you when Acidic Glavenus attacked; When a lightning storm conjured by Zinogre arrived? Where were you?" She stepped back, snorting with a scowl. "I'll tell you. Up in Canterlot, standing guard, following orders like a good little sheep doing nothing and getting praise for it while I spent months alone and risking every ounce of stupid luck I had."

"I am--" She slammed her hoof into the floorboards

"I'm not done!" She snapped callously. "I've been through so much in only two years, exploring caverns and forgotten ruins littered with traps, dangerous creatures, and curses that would give Discord a heart attack. I have recovered numerous pieces of history that you wouldn't even know about!" Clearing her throat, she recited masterfully. "The Royal Archive of Archeology and History ran by Doctor Steelhooves could easily recount my name for you if you don't believe me since we've frequently discussed the findings of my ventures, so don't talk to me about 'Labor' when you're a knight in shining armor who's never had his metal tested!"

There was a lengthy pause between them, a wave of simmering anger built and settled at the tipping point. Neither I nor her parents said a word. I understood why they refused to intervene, they had to let this end between them, one way or another. Inside of Vega was a hint of jealousy, primarily when Yui spoke of her achievements, and it was more prominent when it involved me. For Yui, it was spite, of all she's told me about him, and because he was the instigator for the majority of her anguish.

Compared to me and Summer, their relationship toward the other was completely messed up. Two years and this was all built up between in that absence. Finally, I felt eyes on me, and my expression remained neutral through-out. When one is lost for words, the next thing they'd do is go for the target's weaknesses.

Vega let out a hollow chuckle. "Tell me... Zen, what exactly is the extent of your abilities, huh?" Oh Jesus, here we go... if the roll of my eyes didn't make it obvious then I'm sure my disinterested face did

"I'm primarily a fighter, most of my abilities stem toward hand-to-hand combat, Aura is like magic if you want to be blunt," Was my straight answer, and that added to his scowl and scorn toward me. "Vega, don't say it..."

"Say what? That you've messed with Yui's head? That you could just as easily hide the fact your little fancy Aura tricks can mess with ponies' heads?" Was he serious? How far is this blind faith of his toward a monarch go? And if he's so jealous, why doesn't he admit it before he loses Yui forever?

"Are you that delusional? What the heck kind of excuse it that!?" Yui barked, but he swept his hoof back at me

"I'm not dumb!" Press 'X' for doubt. "--soul-bonds can occur naturally or by force by a possession-type entity, what's to say he hasn't just form that bond with you to use you, huh!?" If there was a cord hanging in the air, then it visibly snapped then and there

An empty, sad laugh escaped Yui's throat, her head sunk low, "...I can't believe it..." All our eyes were drawn to her, head low as I saw the ghost of a smile on her lips. "...I really wanted to try, I came back because I saw how much Zen missed his sister. When they reunited I... I wanted that, selfishly I wanted to feel that familial warmth too..." My heart broke at the sight of tears again, tapping to the floor. "...I wanted my big brother back, I'm an idiot...!"

She pulled her head up, a broken smile and tears too, if not for the warmth of a hoof rubbing my paw I'd have left this chair moments ago. Vega finally looked to Yui the same way I did, with pain and heartache for vastly different reasons. Yui stepped back, trying to wipe her eyes. "I hated this, crying when I shouldn't be... for a waste of space like you," She chuckled only once, but it came up more like a hiccup. "Shame on me, right?"

No words were spoken as Yui ran for the door, leaving behind her cloak as the deafening silence continued to crawl. Finally, that hoof left my paw, and I was greeted with a reassuring smile from Violet. Getting up, I bowed my head to her and moved past Caleb. Standing eye-to-eye with Vega, I let my scowl form, the feelings I harbored of a life I left behind resurfaced with only distaste for the pony beneath me.

"I have a sister, older one that is, she'd do anything for me, even if I hated it, even if we fell out with one another..." My voice was low but audible. "Yui is someone I will hold onto with every fiber of my being, she's saved me, been there when I needed her most... all those things should come from you too," I walked for the door, grabbing her cloak from the sofa. "From one brother to another, there's still a faint flicker of hope for you in her, you better hold onto that before your self-absorbed nature blinds you to that too."

"There's a forest park just east of here that overlooks the city," My eyes locked to Caleb's again. "She'll be there, make sure she's safe."

"Count on it, sir." With a wave, I took off with a crushing force of Extreme Speed, even if it hurts, it was worth it. I had one thing in mind that might help Yui, it might be the worst timing in the world, but how would I know? I never expected any of what's transpired in my life to go this way either. "Hold on, Yui, I'll catch up in no time." I have to admit, she moves pretty quickly


The locale Caleb mentioned was quite the sight, despite lack of sunlight, these trees weren't like the rest that were regulated by magic across the city, instead, I strolled through trees as tall as Pines, the bark a pale grey, the leaves dark green with a silvery sheen to them, like a silver grove. Following the dirt path up the hill, the view overlooked the majority of the city below lit up in a constant orange hue by lanterns with the aurora above. Unlike the night sky's ever-shifting tones, this one remained sparkling and all aglow.

Sat by the edge was the slumped form of the Bat-Pony I knew all too well. Slowing my approach I heard her sniff, a half-hearted chuckle leaving her lips. "You know I've gotten so used to telling who's who by their steps alone, yours in particular," Yui murmured as I stopped, holding onto her cloak tightly. "Heh, I really feel envious of your bond with Summer, you both can yell or berate the other and still be close, supportive, and I lost that, to pride and self-absorption, and for me... stubbornness, maybe..."

Much as I didn't want to, I frowned. "You're brother's an idiot, but not hopeless," I'm praying he takes my words to heart, for both their sakes. "Envying mine and Summer's bond I understand, but none of this is--"

"'My Fault'?" She refused to look at me, head shaking. "I've been second-guessing everything, what if I never left if I just... went along with it all, would that have been better? Would I and Dad be even closer? My brother the supportive sibling he once was? Would... would you and I... never have met?" That stung us both. "I... every time my mind reaches that point, the words, 'Would we have never met', now, it scares me, stupid as it sounds, I'm scared of never meeting you."

Finally, I sat down next to her, keeping her cloak behind me as she did the same with her eyes, hiding behind her mane with a pain-stricken smile. "You really wanted to meet my Grandad, I think that was the first time I considered the thought of going home... but then came the memories... of the night he..." Her head gently pressed itself to my arm. "I lost the one that supported me even more than my Mom, not that I blame her... and it was downhill from there... hehe," She was laughing hollowly, tears dripping down her chin. "I miss him... I miss how things were before but I don't know how I can fix it..."

I have sat and listened to it all. The fighting, the hatred and envy, the sadness and grief, all with a neutral outlook and calm mind much to the bleeding of my heart, I respected them all as just a background piece in a larger game I had no right to intervene in. Now, I understood and mulled over the details and the pieces, now... I knew what to say this time.

"You will figure this out, because... you are more than just a failure, if anything, it makes you just like me, faults in our lives that makeup who we are, and you," I pulled her chin to look at me directly, as my left pulled out her cloak to rest between us. "You are Yui Fox, the Treasure Hunter who isn't afraid to face down threats bigger than herself, who strives with a kind heart and smug attitude to reshape the history of Equestria with her own hooves, who has never been gifted with advantages but who built her own through the ridicule and heartache."

Her face was as I expected, confused, shocked, a wave of passion in endearing eyes. I've said it so many times but we both vastly different, I'm human and she's a pony, I had a great life and she's been through more than me. We've lost someone dear to us and changed because of it, and above all else, we, out of everyone else across two worlds, actually stumbled upon each other. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Her head bowed for a moment, perplexed. "I... you've been here for me, but... you still can say all these... things to me, no matter how bad things get, and when I do it I sound like a bumbling mess."

I pursed my lips, shrugging as I bashfully scratched the back of my neck. "I dunno, my mouth just works on auto when it's about the girl that I love," And that there was a perfect example. Yui's wears caught up a second later, her face slowly dipping back into the red as her face trembled at the words, trying to make some coherent sense

"I-I, um... you just, I'm just... aaaa... this is.. u-um..." Her hoof covered her mouth for a moment, then she buried her face in her cloak still resting in her hooves. "You... you chose now to say that, jerk!" I think the blush is starting to burn her cloak entirely

Chuckling at her embarrassment, she muttered something under the cloth, and I didn't quite catch it. "What was that?" I was praying it was what I thought I heard, a faint hope despite how stupid the timing is but, she was starting to regain her lost bliss, her aura brimming with more light than before with each passing second

I saw her eyes peek from under the blue cloth, a shaky smile on her face as the redness of her cheeks only increased. "I...I l-love you too..." Then she hid again with a whine, almost refusing to remove herself from the light-blue haven

Tugging it back, I smiled. "That wasn't so hard, right? Come on..." I pulled her chin up, trying to control my heartbeat from breaking my ribs

She kept her eyes low but was unable to remove that shaky smile on her face. I think if I ever recall any of this to my past, I'd chalk it up to a perplexing dream, the thoughts that swam in my head would never have occurred prior to my landing in this magical world. Does that mean I regret it, feeling the way I do for this girl with soft, lilac hair and endearing eyes of the same tone? The one that infected a dream by the ocean's waves long before arriving here?

My paw moved to rest on her cheek, and her eyes hid for a moment under her bangs, both shut softly as she and I drew closer, my own eyes shut to the glow of the world, feeling her breath brush against my lips.

Another push, and gingerly I kissed her, it wasn't with a need or a sense to overpower her own to effectively win in this little game. But soft, warm, and enough to set my soul ablaze brighter than before as I smiled through the gentle kiss. We pulled away, and my fingers remained in her mane, twirling a strand as we sat our foreheads against one another, softly smiling with a single laugh, a breath of relief as the woes of our lives were thrown away for a moment of serenity.

"Zen... I love you." "Yui... I love you."

No, I don't regret this feeling for the world.

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

Took them long enough to say it, am I right? My horrid humor aside, things are still heated between the siblings, lets hope a bridge can be made before it all falls away. I hope you enjoyed, I appreciate all the support, seeya in the next chapter!

Chp. 22 - Tempered
The ruby is calling to Zen once more, a final journey is imminent. Meanwhile, keeping his and Yui's relationship under wraps for a few days isn't as easy as they think.