• Published 3rd Apr 2020
  • 7,111 Views, 273 Comments

Indomitable - Slendy



The long trek of a wayward Human now Lucario lost in the world of Equestria, he needs to find a way home, with a little help from a new acquaintance, issue is, can he find his way home or will he choose to stay?

  • ...
15
 273
 7,111

Chp. 26 - The Spirit is Indomitable

The tension was as thick as you could imagine, sure, it's easy to interpret how it feels but to be standing before this table, the crackling fire that kept out the cold, the rustle of paper, notes, and the odd clank of metal to the very idea of facing down what I could only describe as a force of nature incarnate. My heart was pounding, a slight chill to my chest as I almost clamped up from the nervousness, Yui didn't fare better but rather kept her eyes on the tarp before me, my paw patting the items beneath it.

"Gather around everypony, let's go over what we know," Luna began, all eyes and ears to her attention. "Upon investigation in the deepest cavern so far we... discovered the beast's lair, and in turn, came close enough to gauge just what exactly we're dealing with." She put her hoof on the table, circling an area of the cracked earth. "There was more of that material, as it turns out to be shedded skin, the creature having molted countless times."

A few murmured concerns, so Luna nodded toward Yui, causing her to bob her head out from under her hood, letting her mane free. "This gigantic monster has drained the life energy around, maturing with time, now, what was once called Xeno'Jiiva has become a fully formed Safi'jiiva," Yui summarized, frowning with a furrowed brow. "What I don't understand is how a manifestation could enact such similarities to what it's copied, is it because it's the prime rift?"

"We can't say for certain," Topaz added, running a hoof over her mane. "But as far as you've informed me that crystal you carry can seal the rift once the monster is destroyed, Zen?"

I gave a nod, still awaiting my turn to speak, my paw was growing impatient, just one flick and the cloth would be gone and my latest work unveiled.

"Our best option is to send a small team to observe and do recon, understand how this creatur--" I'm gonna stop you right there, Shining

"No need, I know what it does," I finally interrupted, seeing the ire in his eyes while I cleared my throat, despite not needing to vocalize my thoughts, guess it's just to keep up appearances. "Granted, I never fought Safi before landing in Equestria -- Look, he's an Elder Dragon, one that drained the energy of the surrounding land to both mature and speed up recovery exponentially, and has complete mastery over its abilities, had it been Xeno we may not have to take so many careful steps."

"Then how are we supposed to beat it?" One guard voiced the concerns in the air, so with a toothy grin I pulled the cover away with gusto

"Ahem, cue applause - With these!" Several weapons and armor sat on my end of the table, many awe and wide gazes locked to the inventions. "I hate metalwork, doesn't mean I can't work with the material," I shook my head with a shrug. "I'm no metalsmith, but I don't think I did too bad."

The first to the far right was a set of pony-sized armor, specifically for a the cute Bat-Pony beside me. It was a deep shade of purple with thick scales, jagged at the ends with a tint of green across the thorns. There was leg armor, a small breastplate shaped like a V from several smaller scales, and a smooth cap that would give her own ears a light purple tint as the helmet dipped to cover the brow and top of the snout. Beside it, a matching purple sword with a green, curved blade, the buckler a shade of purple with a curved, pink outline, jutting down like horns.

"Armor and weapons fashioned from the Deadeye Yian, thankfully I managed to sneak on a bunch of supplies so I could make a whole set! Probably the toughest material for thousands of miles too!" I prided myself, then moved on. "Next, we have these vambraces forged from Acidic Glavenus," Much like Yian's armor, they were thicker and dark green with a hint of blue to the rough surface. "A few punches with these will weaken even the toughest of scales."

Last were for me, a pair of bracers, a small chestplate, and shin guards. Light blue with tufts of white fur and yellow scales say for the white sheen on the breastplate, a hint of static still noticeable in the wavy fur. "For myself, Zinogre armor for a little something extra, just to be on the safe side when he decided to blow everything up."

"'Blow everything up'?" Yui raised her voice, startled as the rest so I nodded grimly

"Safi uses energy breath attacks, can overflow the ground with energy for explosions, and when he get really angry he'll unleash all the energy he has for one massive blast that could level a city block," That left quite the impression on the crowd, but I had a plan, while I never fought it I knew of its weaknesses to a degree, thank you, data miners. "Safi's one flaw, however, is his overuse of energy absorption -- We can use that against him, whittle him down by forcing him to drain all the remaining energy in the chamber."

"Aren't we supposed to not let him do that?" Topaz hummed, clearly unconvinced as I tapped my nose

"He speeds up his natural regeneration, meaning he exhausts himself faster." It was simple biology, he recovered his injuries, not his stamina, and he burns alot of energy to do it too. Now came the hard part, one that I knew had to be made but while I had my choices it was getting a certain, still not trusting me, pony to keep his mouth shut. "I won't risk everyone's lives against a threat they don't know, so... I'll only be taking three others with me."

"I'm not here to discredit any of you, but against a manifestation of an Elder Dragon that even I have never fought I can't risk gambling with lives when I'm not certain of your skills, and to be frank, we're out of time as it is." This was definite, Safi wasn't going to sit around in the Badlands, once his power is at its fullest it'll probably torch half the world before we could so much as breathe

"That's not your call to make," I didn't hide my aggravated sigh, the last thing I needed was more pointless drama. Shining stood his ground on the matter. "While yes, you may have the power to shut this rift it doesn't grant you permission to overrule those in charge, and don't think I'm not aware of that thief-" He jabbed a hoof at Yui. "-stealing the armor necessary for your upgrades--"

*Crash!*

"Watch your tongue, runt," The old me slipped out as my fist pried itself from the desk, frost dashed aside as my sharp eye glowered down at him. "I don't care what you think of me, but don't you dare call her a thief," Standing tall I grabbed the ruby under my scarf. "If you want to throw innocent lives to the slaughter go ahead, I'll wait," Leaning over the desk, I saw the faint trace of fear in his eyes. "You think you can stop me? Go ahead and try, because if killing you means I get to save billions of lives, so be it."

Gradually I stood back, feeling a hoof rub my thigh as I breathed heavily, letting the glow leave my eyes, I didn't even know I could do that. "Luna?" She hadn't looked away from me. "How'd you like to hunt an Elder Dragon?"

Even with the sour mood, she managed a small smile, "I would certainly relish the chance to test my combat prowess again," Luna agreed. "But who else would you request?"

I chuffed, motioning to two mares before us. "Duh, my adorable girlfriend and funny new Guard friend, with your permission to leave the Captain here to manage your responsibilities while we're gone?" Bet he didn't expect that, but we needed someone capable of keeping things afloat up here encase of emergencies, and despite the bad start between us, I know he's capable of this. "I designed these weapons specifically for you two anyway."

Yui blinked, cheeks still somewhat pink as she blew her mane. "Like I'd let you tag this alone," Her wing curled to bump against my arm. "We're in this to the end, both of us." I couldn't agree more, a part of me wants to refuse and keep her safely up on the surface, but I knew Yui too well, she'd not back down, even if I tied her up. Another reason I find her endearing I suppose, she's got spunk

"You sure 'bout adding me to the group?" Topaz ran a hoof to her chest, uncertain of her role in this. "I mean, it's not like I'm any different from let's say the Captain or one of the Night--" A small, lighthearted chuckle let my lips

"It was either you or Armor and trust me, we'd probably do more damage to each other than Safi." I heard his snort

"Something we agree on..." Aww, someone's all pouty

"Okay, that's fair." She put her hoof down, then slid it across to slowly steal the Glavenus bracers. "I'll be better off with a hit and run tactic if you don't mind?" I, in fact, did not. Yui had the most equipment due to her lack of mobility with only one wing, and Yian's armor was light to my surprise

This was it. I could feel it within the crystal, the unfathomable power I've collected and the source beneath our feet, if we fail, the whole world is doomed. Trinity entrusted me where so many could easily trump my skills, so I'll have to prove that I can uphold my promise to her, for everyone here and far.

~---~

It wouldn't be long now. While everyone prepared themselves for delving back into the earth, I sat alone by the entrance, the guards had vacated their posts, leaving me to sit before the ominous maw of the valleys. "From the otherworldly blue king came the red devil, emperor to all. From his crimson maw comes pure energy, unbridled yet concise, smashing all but the sturdiest asunder." I recited like an ancient tome

"Deviously cunning, and unexpectedly hostile, Safi'jiiva is the result of the otherworldly Xeno'jiiva shedding its infant appearance, and amassing strength. Huge in stature, Safi'jiiva boasts more than raw strength. Its ability to manipulate, and subsequently drain, the residual energies spread like lifeblood by the earth meant it doesn't focus on any one elemental capability. Rather, it condenses said bioenergy and uses it to fire high-intensity beams of raw power, searing the earth." If anything, Safi was impressive, just from a safe distance

"That was ominous, are you trying to psyche us out?" It was only Yui and her sarcastic humor as she wrapped her hooves around my shoulders, resting her head over my right. "This is it... maybe the last time..." I didn't want to say it, but I guess denying if my plan could fail would only trouble me further when I needed to focus

"I'm a human from Japan turned into a Lucario from Pokemon by a Goddess of Virtue in a world filled with talking, magical ponies fighting giant Wyverns," The summery drew a laugh from my lips before I turned to answer Yui's perplexed face. "Sorry, still can't over how stupid that sounds out loud, yet, I'm fine with that, this world's amazing, from the few places I've seen I feel like a lifetime has passed."

"Yui, even if I'm gone, every moment and the stupid things we've talked about, the battles we had to take," My smile grew sheepishly. "I won't forget it for a second, all because of you, the treasure hunter that never gave up on me or herself."

Yui sighed shakily, running a hoof over her eyes with a strained groan. "Dammit, why do you always say the corny, sappy, mushy stuff...?" That smile of hers didn't fade

"Part of my charming personality." I mused, earning a jab of her wing to the shoulder

"The end of the world and you're still giving stupid compliments." Yui ran her hoof over her mane, exasperated but otherwise elated. That expression and glint in her eye...

Screw it, "Come here," She squeaked as I angled her chin so that I could observe her surprised face as I kissed her passionately for what may be the last time, so I savored every second as her eyes closed while leaning in herself. If there were others watching I didn't care, I'd downright yell out how much I cared for her if that meant I could keep this memory alive for every waking moment. Deep down, I know she felt the same, we're both inexperienced and complete dolts when it came to this but this right here was enough, just a single moment alone together in the middle of nowhere


Armed and ready, I stepped into the large chamber once more, no sign of Safi'jiiva anywhere as we approached the lip of the massive, subterranean arena, the hollow remains of his skin still falling apart on the rocks above. I held my arm out the moment I felt his presence, Yui drew her sword with her mouth, the buckler snug against her right leg. Luna and Topaz to my left while the earth crumbled and made a hiss of dust, the light above flickered, then, the sun erupted with blue fire, massive boulders crashing into the ground around us.

The ceiling ignited at the black epicenter, focused plasma rained from the sky, igniting the cavern in a fierce, blue tone. The black object tore through the ground, a torrent of humid wind ripples with blue wisps while the ground crackled with remnants of its life energy. The black claws broke the ground it walked on, the seam between scales hissed a bright white as it absorbed what slithers of energy I could feel, now, the ground had turned completely grey.

The monster stood, towering over us all, red scales covered it head-to-toe, the ones lining the legs jutting out by the elbow, turning black like its feet. Behind the thick, powerful legs was a large tail, long spines tracing the vertebrae and along its back. Two large, leathery wings, rips, and tears at the tips between scaly radius. The chest remained low to the ground but hardened with more black spikes like a natural battering ram. The neck was long, reaching up to the angular snout with spikes lining the lower jaw and up toward the mass array of curved and twisted black horns. A pair of longhorns curved like a crown, multiple points jutting upward. The smallest and most horrific detail were the glowing, orange eyes that bore down on us with black pupils; As though to acknowledge us as nothing more than insects.

Towering over us, the epicenter of the white fissures that chipped away at the atmosphere around us, the pinnacle of the rifts manifestations stood between us and the end of this crisis to Equestria. With a flap of its wings, the dragon let out a roar unlike any other, a monster caged within a scaly body let out a cursed roar that wailed like a true dragon. Pure energy crackling across its scales, and for a brief moment, the wings shimmered like constellations.

It aura seethed with darkness, a dark red energy building across its hollow soul. The embodiment of energy bonded and mastered inside its body.

The Red Dragon, Safi'Jiiva.

No one spoke or uttered a word, so, finally managing to just swallow a lump in my throat, I blared my thoughts loud and clear, my teeth grit and my heart beating like drums. "Take him down."

It's pupils sharpened as a large beam of energy divided our team. Taking the lead with Bone Rush I plunged my staff through its right leg, tearing and weakening the scales as Yui copied me, though she had to block a small blast a second later, the force knocking her back while Luna unleashed a hail of magical bolts from above, some bounced off Safi's forehead as it craned its neck, splitting three consecutive bursts to try and tag her while I and Topaz flanked, swiping my staff across its weakened limbs that slashed at the ground, keeping us from prolonging any constant damage.

I dived under a claw swipe, lunging with the bo staff as it broke a claw, followed by a helicopter swing to the joint, the maw snapped my way, spiting a single blast with the tail swung down, creating a shockwave of energy to nearly roast Yui, her shield bracing the back leg as it kicked back. Regaining a footing I dived forward into a blur of color with extreme speed, vaulting across Safi's back to striking with consecutive ice and thunder punches that coated the wings and stunned his joints for Luna's magical impact to the forehead, bringing the body down as the front legs broke the stone, ripples of white energy rupturing the ground, blowing the trio away while Safi lurched up on his hind legs as I landed, focusing a thin beam of light to tear apart the ground in front of us.

Drawing Protect I took the blow for the girls as we were blown back by the massive explosion, a large, red claw swatting me across the ground while another thin beam blocked any forward advance, Safi swishing his tail while turning toward me. His maw curved then snapped at the air as Luna teleported us high. Letting go I propelled downward with my right foot forward, a scream of red energy building on impact with his weakened head thanks to the girls below as both were tossed away with a head drag. "Mega Kick!!"

He wailed on impact with the ground, the decayed earth under his back legs caving in, dragging his body through the earth partially while leaving himself exposed to our attacks. From magic to moves and swipes with hooves, his scales were broken and peeled away. The unstable energy inside of him was dwindling quickly due to the excessive attacks. With a roar, he flapped his wings and pried himself from the land, landing with two massive walls of energy to corral us for his next attack.

"Everypony to me!" Luna rallied as I slowly back away into a large, midnight blue shield moment before the powerful, white beam consumed the transparent dome, the blue flames licked the decaying earth, fanning many rocks and debris across the valley. Luna struggled to hold back the barrage, Safi looming closer, unrelenting as the maw drew closer with lumbering strides toward our helpless forms. "I-Its power is... unending"

"Come on, Princess!" Topaz clapped her hooves, Yui and I joining

"Give it all you got, Princess Luna!" Yui cheered, helping to keep her legs steady against the dying beam, Safi opting to fire constant, smaller blasts to conserve energy, but with the length of time, we'd be blown off the cliffside. Luna had to hold out until he was exhausted

"Keep it up, Luna!" I bellowed, siphoning some of my aura into her own, feeling her magic strain as new wisps entered its reservoir, keeping the webbed shield stable just an inch more. Stepping into the vanguard I brought my right arm back, bending at the knees. "Lower it on my mark!" She didn't make a reply under her stained concentration... three... two... one... The last blast rattled the dome. "Now!" The blue hue left us like parting leaves. "Counter!" The searing body of heat struck my fist, while my fur was singed and I wanted to cry out I conserved the energy and threw my fist right back at the closing maw, breaking several fangs as Safi screeched, stumbling to his right

Topaz took the lead, drawing a right hook across his leg, hoisting herself high to driving the jagged bracers through the weakened scales again, splintering their hardened shells for Yui to propel over her, rolling under a claw swipe, crushing a moon opal as she exited to the right of Safi. His gaze followed her, the tail swiping a wall of flames to keep me at bay. Yui stood with her back to a wall, taunting the Elder Dragon with her tongue sticking out as she muttered under her breath before diving away from his frantic charge into a large plume of mist.

His body jerked left, and his head collided with the back wall, dislodging a large rock from the wall as it collided with his neck, bringing the monster down for us. "Love you, Yui!" I gave her a wink as bone rush carved across the length of his body with a helix spin, swiping right I vaulted off the swing and over Safi's legs, smacking him across the wing membrane while performing a backward twirl, kicking the staff down with both feet to pierce the tail, taking a large chunk out of the scales.

Slowly, Safi rose back on all fours, only for my retaliate to break off a horn, sending him tumbling into the center of the arena. He snarled my way, flicking me back with his tail before crashing it back down, a flurry of explosive waves forcing me to grab Yui and dive from their destructive path. With his talon sunk into the ground, he immediately channeled the faint traces that even I couldn't detect from the earth, drawing white arcs of lightning across his body, repairing the cracks in his hide, patching his missing scales in seconds before stunning us with a terrible roar, craning his neck to the far right, casting with white flames.

"Everyone stay down!" Topaz cried as she dived with Luna ducking behind a spire of rock, a massive laser ripping across the cavern in a horizontal arc. Yui and I gulped then took cover as the molten plasma melted through the wall behind us, leaving it blackened while Safi roared once more, locking a pair of crimson eyes to me

"Oh God, he's woke." Shoving Yui behind the boulder, I immediately drew quick guard as the massive force of energy crashing into my arms. Taking off to the right I evaded another blast, then to the left while sliding under another. Even as the Princess and Topaz continued to chip away at his back legs, his eyes were fixated on me, drawing each breath attack to keep me steady. His left arm swiped forward so I countered with shadow claw, guarding against the imposing limb while his head came down, crashing against my torso to toss me back for a concentrated energy blast

With an erratic spin to my feet, I leapt high while the others flanked to avoid the blast. With Close Combat I managed to break through the cheekbone with a few swipes, though the jaws clamped around my feet, thrashing me through the air before I was felt my body heat up with agony as I was cooked from the waist down, then fired into the earth like a missile as even life dew struggled to alleviate me of the many burns I sustained.

As Safi lowered himself to the ground, he ignored the many cuts and impacts to sniff at my prone body, lips curling to reveal his teeth, a low growl leaving the gaps while a blue hue slowly gathered within. Oh, this gonna hurt... With a wince I snapped my left heel high, rock smash staggering the Elder Dragon before his blast could touch me, his scream then rattled the air as both Topaz and Yui sliced through his left eye, spitting blood and energy from the wound.

A pair of hooves hoisted me to my haunches, Topaz winking. "I thought you were tougher than this?" So did I, guess I was right to be cautious, I just never expected it to retaliate by roasting me between its teeth -- My eyes shot wide

"Topaz, move!" She didn't in time for the claw to smack across her flank, two large gashes split across her skin while Luna moved to catch her body as they both slid to a halt. As for Yui, my heart stopped beating as she stood there, taking a tail to face as the jagged tip sliced across her cheek, nearly shredding her hood and face completely if not for the Yian helmet, but I still saw her blood and body plummet to the ground in a heap before me, the sickening roar from Safi filled with glory.

My blood ran like fire, irony aside, I felt my eyes completely dilate, tunnel vision solely on Safi's leering gaze as my mentality broke under the intense stress that had accumulated over the coming days. With a furiously bright scarlet glow accompanied by many swords my power soared higher than ever before, a primal bloodlust clouding my mind as I merely blinked and found my fist embedded in Safi's mandible, my fists a constant shade of dark red as I drew every fist I could into his body as blue zipped past me, everything was detailed as my own perception crawled. I'll kill him, I'll tear him apart!! That poured a tremendous beat into my heart as I crashed through his body, obliterating the ground under me as I soared high again, bringing a powerful snap-kick to the throat, then a metal claw sunk through the scales, revealing my right arm to bring several red aura blasts atop his spines, breaking a few with consecutive blasts.

A single pulse scorched my back, followed by a sharp back kick to throw me far enough away for his massive blast of energy, I merely stripped the ground to keep myself stable, drawing my maw back with my own gathering of colorful wisps, the faint whiff of copper in the air only escalated the raw flow of pure energy into my throat. "π‡πšπ€πšπ’... 𝐊ō𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐞𝐞𝐧!!"

Raw, unfiltered calamity ripped from my throat, atomizing the ground between me and Safi as our energy attacks collided in the middle the very earth itself growing unstable as I was blown back, Safi having flown high to evade the blast himself, but that wasn't why he moved. As my rage simmered slightly, clutching my heart as the storm passed I realized that the flow of energy from Safi had changed, instead of absorbing it, the pours in his body were expunging the excess, creating a downward draft of blue flames.

"Zen!" Luna cried out while adding Topaz behind a surviving rock. "You both must find safety, quickly!" True to her word, Yui wasn't safe from the blast, and either was I. Cursing out my actions later I ran for her form, plucking her with care for her bleeding head, tossing aside the shattered helmet as I ran for the nearest rock, the energy growing increasingly unbearable to so much as stand on, I could just barely pull off a quick attack in time, inches from the boulder as all sound cut off, even my own footsteps were mute under a heartbeat

High above, Safi raised his wings high, a single, sapphire star descending from his chest and for a brief moment, the ceiling lit up with the nightmarish sight of many cracks in space-time, infusing the energy that fell from the heavens themselves. With a roar, the light expanded and I nearly became blind under the sheer force of power that ripped across the cavern, setting the world ablaze under a furnace, the skin had all ignited, casting us in a hellscape unlike any I had witnessed before.

While the fires raged and even the rock I cowered behind fell apart I clutched Yui's petite frame, forcing myself to heal her as best I could. "Come on, Yui... you said we're in this together, so come on!" I was afraid, what other choices remained available to me now? Could I have chosen a better path or avoided this confrontation -- No, there's no evading this, everything led to this moment, I just wished I had the strength to see it through... "Please, Yui, I don't want to but..." She was still unresponsive, passed out from the impact

There's no other way now...

When the last embers died out and the heat released me from practically passing out, Safi'Jiiva cried out and retreated to flaming webbing, pushing through the old, withered material to a lower level, more than likely for a final confrontation. But Topaz and Yui were down, neither could fight anymore. Sadly, I gave Yui a final peck on the forehead before hearing Luna trot up behind me, "Luna... there's only one way," I muttered, seeing her look down at me as I brushed Yui's mane, my heal pulse dimming as her wounds closed up

She winced as the last flames were snuffed out, then with horror, her eyes widened as I passed Yui over to her with a shaky smile. "To protect them... and win," I begged her to agree, selfishly let me have this one final act of goodwill toward others. Her eyes were jammed shut, clearly, the idea of leaving an ally swelled in her chest as visible frustration crossed her muzzle, but ultimately, her features eased, and hurt eyes stared back into mine. "Please... Luna."

With a bow of her head, her magic lifted the two injured mares, the last claw ghosting through Yui's mane as the light gathered around Luna's horn and I smiled warmly. "Thank you for trusting me, Princess -- Huh?" Her hoof rested on my shoulder a moment, her magic was almost drained entirely, there wasn't going to be a second time

"...thank you, Zen, for that you've done for Equestria, and good luck," Did she know? Gratitude was the last thing I could see before their bodies vanished with a sparkle and pop, leaving me to face the hole ripped apart by Safi, his roar tore across the air

Alone, at the edge of salvation and destruction. Each step trembled, every breath was hot, tempered heartbeats racked in my chest as I leapt through the webbing's gap, soaring down into a massive, glowing cavern of gases, casting the jagged rocks with an emerald sea while I landed in the center surrounded by walls of stone, Safi now overflowing with an abundance of energy, the cracks split between scales, casting his wings in starlight with crimson eyes and a glowing chest. His rift grew increasingly critical with this unstable bioenergy.

Without a second to lose, I dived to my right, a large beam ripping across the battlefield, forcing me to dive under the powerful attack, only for a followup blast to toss me skyward, a large shadow looming before my body crashed against the ground, the leg hooked me between his claws tightly as I was tossed aside for the tail to give me whiplash, rolling into a strange deposit of green gas that smelled strange, similar to that of ga -- Oh.

Stepping further Safi lobbed three more blasts my way, all striking the back wall before reeling its gargantuan body back and lunging into a charge. I returned the action, sliding carefully between the long sweep of the head, tossing back an aura sphere to ignite the corner of the cavern in an emerald blaze, though I underestimated the blast radius as I was blown back into a steady roll, landing face down momentarily.

Standing slowly, I tugged the large ruby from my neck, seeing it had grown to fit my palm, a jagged oval shape now pressed between my claws as I held onto all I cherished. The people I've met, all my memories I poured into my mind while Safi roared, wings flung wide, blowing away the green fire as it rushed to the walls, casting us in its sickly glow, but my palm was completely crimson, the tick of a clock in my head as I reached for my own soul while my fist tightened.

All the energy of Barroth. Nargacuga. Tobi-Kadachi. Acidic Glavenus. Kulu-Ya-Ku. Zinogre. Deadeye Yian Garuga, Bloodbath Diablos. And even a faint trace from Mitsuzune. All these etheral energies were gathering between my fingers, enough power to reshape reality with my bare hands.

With heavy eyes to the approaching maw, I managed one last smile as my fist closed entirely and all sound escaped my ears

*Shatter!*

"...thank you..."


[Yui's POV]

I felt like I got slapped with a cannon across the side of my face. It was accurate since the last thing I saw was red and my head feeling dizzy before the craziness of the fight was muffled out. Groaning, my back lurched up off the bed to find Topaz sat beside me, herself sighing with relief, bandaged across her flank, Princess Luna wasn't here though, neither was -- I nearly shot from the bed.

"Wait-wait, you're still injured!" True to her word my head started to spin again while her hooves put me back against the bed, but I couldn't sit without knowing-- "It isn't over, the Princess got us out in time before things got messy, but Zen," She stopped as she noticed my worried expression, even Topaz couldn't manage a comforting smile. "I-I don't know if--"

"He'll beat that monster and win," There was no doubt about it, he wouldn't lose to some overgrown energy lizard. I know Zen, he can win! "He has too... he has too." But why did it mean that I had to let him go? I know he has to go home, and probably without me no matter how kind his promise was, it didn't mean this stupid hole in my chest didn't grow.

"Yui, does your cloak always do that?" The blank stupor on Topaz's face drew my eyes to the cloth nestled beside me, and to the object nestled between it and my hoof. How did -- It was the prismatic gem, a radiant sheen glossing the surface, refining the rough mineral to a polished tone. While shocked, I felt it deep within my soul, a thread that tugged on the opposite end, feeding through me from a place I couldn't reach

I smiled gently, clutching the rock in my hooves closer. "He totally knew what it was, that jerk." I was starting to tremble, this... this was it, a part of me knew it, heck, our whole journey had led to this end but now it was starting to sink in. I didn't want him to go, I... I don't want to be alone again, I'd selfishly leave this world if I can keep going on adventures with Zen. The stone hummed again, the purple sheen cast far brighter in my hooves as I closed my eyes.


[No POV]

While the fires were torn skyward with a ferocious wave of blue bioenergy released from Safi'Jiiva, it roared triumphantly as the growing blast eradicated the creature standing before it, a faint whiff of ash and charcoal mingling with the gasses in the lowest level of its nest. It stopped, the energy fluctuated in the region but not toward its unstable form, rather, the collective motes of light gathered and circulated around the dissipating smog, the fires blown back while Safi growled, eyes a sharp scarlet, but so were the smoke's, malice, and power resonating like a mirror.

Etherial specters began to form. One of Barroth, outline a solid bronze, then Nargacuga a faint lilac. Tobi-Kadachi an aquamarine. Acidic Glavenus dark green. Kulu Ya Ku tangerine. The powerful Zinogre cast in marigold. Deadeye Yian Garuga's fierce purple. Bloodbath Diablos tinted blood-red. And last, almost curled protectively was Mitsuzune, shaded a baby-blue.

The flames ignited with a roar of multicolored flames, banishing the revenants, ranges of shades rising in the tempo of the sparkling, purple sheen across Zen's body as it warped and changed gradually, certain points of his body evolving faster with a helix of gold ribbons encompassing his body, eyes cast a sharp orange as he clenched his fists, howling powerfully enough to impact the ground under him.

As the light shattered with a strange emblem bursting into flames. his cream fur became longer, his thighs slimmed down. More spikes developed on the back of his paws, which have turned crimson. Spikes also developed on both feet, which have become crimson too. His previously red eyes are now orange-colored. His aura-sensing appendages longer and two of them are tipped in crimson.

Zen's rounded shoulders also possess a spike each. The massive incline of power amplified his soul and aura, allowing him to draw the same bioenergy as Safi'Jiiva to an exponential extent that black markings appeared on his blue fur. The gamble paid off, a strange, almost irregularly accurate sense of time racing through his head, the very ceiling above an inferno of strange, blue lines that raced throughout Equestria, and one was directly fed into Safi's form, a twisted, blackened thread that needed to be severed for good.

"Alright, my turn." Drawing forth from the energized earth, a crystal white staff spun between his claws, locked behind him as Zen took a mere kick forward, then Safi reeling back as the edge slicing across his jaw, twirling down in a diagonal thrust through its chin and through one of its claws as it brought the leg back to swipe Zen, only to meet his immovable body, Zen backhanding the arm with a rising swing of the bo staff, forcing Safi back as two rapid aura spheres collided with its maw, redirecting a blast to the edge

Roaring, Safi plunged its front legs into the earth, webbing half the arena in unstable fissures that erupted like a ring outwards, forcing Zen to hoist himself high with his staff, vaulting over the second wave while drawing his right leg back, swirling embers erupting across the surface. "Blaze Kick!" At the 'K' his toes broke off a horn moments before the teeth could snag him from flight. With the added propulsion of the kick, Zen angled himself above the head, drawing his mouth back with etheral energy. "Dragon Pulse!" The second word was lost to a roar akin to Safi's as it wailed from the destructive downdraft of draconic energy, the surge blowing away the scorched ground under it.

Zen grunted as his feet touched the earth, blown away by a roar and thrash of the wings as Safi flew up high, drawing from the bioenergy to summon forth his devastating move again, knowing entirely that Zen had nowhere to hide, but he never intended to. Bringing his forearms close, he closed his eyes and felt the waves of Equestrian life energy weft and weave across his fur, gathering primarily in his arms for a critically charged Protect.

The sapphire star collided with the ground, incinerating the ground and leaving Zen intact say for the blast pushing him a few feet backward, the shield having tanked the explosive onslaught, much to Safi's startled anger, so it drew its head back, collecting more and more energy for a massive blast. Zen snapped out of his trance and did the same, only utilizing his own spiritual aura to enhance a growing comet between his paws, thought turned to raw strength.

Focus Blast seared the ground as it struck the beam ahead, creating a massive halo of destructive power between them. Safi, having grown hungry, drew what slithers of power remained trapped in the earth, his body cracking and glowing critical, however, whatever remained immediately was snatched from its claws. It glared back at the creature, finding it to be harness the same power Safi stole for itself. Many aura spheres circulated Zen, eyes ablaze with a blue contrail while snorting, taunting the Elder Dragon with two fingers motioning it to come forward.

Like a freight train, the Dragon lunged with its mouth wide, feet erupting geysers of bioenergy with every step while Zen took two steps back, a pungent gas filling his nose. The glare shadowed his own so Zen dived under a claw swipe, tossing an aura sphere to the ground under Safi'Jiiva, and the world was lit anew. A fountain of green fire scorched the weakened scales of the dragon, blowing it backward and onto its side for Zen solid Force Palm to the right-wing, then another to the back leg as the tail swiped round.

It caught Zen's foot in the wave of energy, allowing Safi the chance to rise, drawing a pinpoint laser across the ground to riddle Zen's Quick Guard, the shield breaking moments after the laser faded, a pair of jaws clamping down if not for his staff locking the two sets of jaws, Safi tugged him into the air as he thrashed and flailed to be rid of Zen's presence. The pupils slit themselves, and the unstable mass traveled up its throat, forcing Zen to swing himself up and around in time to avoid the direct blast that struck the ceiling, his feet surfing down the length of Safi's body, firing multiple smaller aura spheres as fast as he could materialize them.

With the spined tail poised it gave him the air time to draw an even distance between the two, hearing the tear of rock above as the whole roof was disturbed, off-loading tons of rock and debris atop the fighters that refused to quit, even as the sky was falling. Zen broke into a blurred sprint, drawing bronze fists and kicks to deflect or divert the meteor shower away or toward Safi'Jiiva, the dragon steamrolling through the debris with the intent to devour every ounce of life from the creature.

The azure flames licked Safi's tongue, a surge of plasma breached its mouth and stripped away the debris, hurdling toward Zen while he ran across the many descending mounds of stone while tucking in his arms. He narrowly slid between two sheets of earth, his left foot and Safi's head connecting as the last of the ceiling crashed to the floor, almost burying the two if not for the sharp impact creating enough kinetic energy to dispel any flying objects far across the underground.

Zen observed closely as Safi's body trembled, leg burrowed through the ground, unleashing a wave of energy, forcing him to bound over the wave, his cheek gazed by the tail's backswing, an arc shaving away at the ground. With his metal claws, Zen sliced straight down the dragon's midsection as the back leg nearly crushed him as he fled. He shot up into the air, kicking back off the claw while ducking under a pinpoint laser once more, using the blue flames as cover to gather an aura sphere imbed the blue orb against the joint of the tail, feeling the forceful snap of bone under the scales.

Performing a bow the claw shaved his ears while Zen performed a handstand, drawing both legs back to kick the leg off balance. Safi stumbled, then charged towards him, scratching its face across the area, followed by a backhand through the rugged floor, keeping Zen from advancing through the uprooted stone. Blinded by dust, he instantly conjured Ice Punch and struck the ground, creating a small shelf of ice to intercept several small blasts. Taking the cool surface up the arms tore the ice away, leaving Zen airborne for a massive, slant of shadow claw to carve through the already blinded eye, undoing the healed optical nerve and leaving Safi screaming in agony.

Yet Safi craned its neck around, blasting the sky with three, hazardous charges, which erupted into nine, throwing Zen into a pool of gases the two blown away by the highly flammable smog. Zen felt his feet tremble, even with Life Dew as a pick-me-up, the energy in the area was extinguished, and there was only so much either could do, so Zen had to end this, no matter the outcome, with one attack. Spinning on his heel, his eyes locked to Safi'Jiiva, now a towering beast soaring on tattered, burnt wings that struggled to hold him aloft.

It was do-or-die now, to win with one strike to Safi's center, straight through the soft-tissued chest. Time crawled while Zen dashed through the flames and decimated landscape, each footstep thundered while blue flames rained from up high, the embers barely passing as a burn while Zen pushed forward, lurching off his toes, a single, Bone Rush cradled between his fingers, the tip sharpened with the velocity, forming a cone of silver light as a sapphire star descended between Elder Dragon and Pokemon.

Zen's form was devoid of color, white overtook his vision, greys, and blacks providing what little shade that remained from the light that blinded both him and Safi'Jiiva. His heart, his very soul igniting across the tip of his staff.

"This is it!" Zen seethed, eyes locked to a slithering crack across the rough, white hide. "The last one!" He bore his fangs as he felt several threads untie themselves from Equestria's universe, slipping from his mentality as an invisible force cut the connection entirely. "It's over now -- This one's for you guys-"

"Finishing moooooove!" Zen landed on the chest, propelling off the scales and over Safi'Jiiva's attack. Drawing his bo staff high to convert every microscopic trace of energy, bio, or spiritual to the tip of the staff, his own irises fading between many shades of a rainbow. "GIGA. SUTAFFU. BUREKU -- π‘π«π«π«π«πšπšπšπšπ‘π‘π‘π‘!!!"

The staff broke through the chest's thick skin with a resounding crash of seven colorful rings to disperse Safi'Jiiva's abundance of power. The tip of the staff pierced through the layers of flesh to rupture at the core, a ripple creasing in time as the tainted bind was severed entirely, discharging the contained temporal energy in a massive eruption of static and shatter akin to glass. Zen appeared out the otherwise of Safi'Jiiva as it roared up at the darkened world above, seeing its connection undone as it lost control of the extinction attack, landing in a heap of charred earth, body disintegrating into wisps of red before Zen, his staff releasing the built-up energy itself like a dying sun.

He too fell toward the earth, eyes heavy while the gazed up at the vanishing streams of time that lit up the world in its vibrancy, the tiny dots of his extinguished staff looked just like stars. With one final look, Zen saw his own thread break away from the stream and a sad smile crossed his face with a single tear

"Taka, Asher, Kazu, Merry... big sis, arigatō sayōnara."


The world was silent a moment before Zen realized, he was in the dark, no sense of a horizon say for the many white paths that glossed the void, stretching and forking endlessly, stretching beyond infinity. When he blinked, stepping forward once with a hitch in his throat, he realized he wasn't alone and in fact, Kazu, Merry, Asher, Taka who was actually cradling a child wrapped under a blanket in her arms, and his big sister, Summer, were all standing at the edge of a diverging path.

"Wai-" Again his voice snagged, his foot unable to reach them just a few feet down the glimmering road. All of them smiled, human once again just like Zen

"This isn't the first time we've separated, but that never gets easier, all of us have grown up together after all." Kazu sighed

"Excluding me, duh," Merry raised a hand, brushing the locks covering her right eye

"But even if we're far away," Summer stepped forward, able to reach out to Zen's shaky hand, cupping it between her own with a sisterly smile. "Our memories won't vanish, that connection won't ever fade."

"So you see, dummy," Taka chuffed, bowing her head as tears stung her face despite herself trying to hold it together, though the gentle hand from Kazu placed on her shoulder only broke her resolve further. "T-there's no reason to cry."

Zen sniffed, misty-eyed with a smile, "Yeah, my memories are right here," His voice broke, his own tears falling as he placed a hand on his heart, a blue flame flickering on the surface, comforting his hand gently. "Right here until the end."

"That's right, so we'll be best friends forever," Asher smiled through his own misty eyes, closing them tightly

Zen, with every ounce of strength he could muster reached out, clutching onto his sister tightly, burying his face into her shoulder. Even as he cried, the familiar softness of a hand patted his head, soothing him with a whisper. "It's okay, I'm right here."

Soon, the paths started to disappear, and one-by-one his closest friends vanished from his sight, Summer's body beginning to turn to silver light in his arms, his eyes wide with shock and heartache. "I should really be scolding you for doing something so reckless, and I really wanted to," Her voice whispered. "I know you would always want the best for people, you hated saying goodbye, ever since Rika's death."

He started shaking more, squeezing tightly to somehow prevent the inevitable. "It's okay to say goodbye, it doesn't have to be the end, I know it won't be, one day we'll meet again, I swear as your big sister." A promise, a vow that neither would dare break. "No matter what you chose, I love you, Zen... goodbye..."

Forcing through the tears a smile she slowly started to fade from his sight. "I-I love you too... S-summer," It was then he fell forward, the silver fireflies having scattered between his hands. "goodbye.... goodbye..."

For the briefest moment, alone in the dark another figure's hands wrapped around his shoulders tentatively, scarlet locks brushing to his cheek with a hint of strawberry, a small smile crossing their lips. Zen leaned back, at last, able to rest.


[Zen's POV]

I don't know how long I was out for, but judging by the fact I wasn't lying next to a rotting corpse or writhing in flames, either in another world or in the cavern, it was clear I was someplace... new? It looked cleaner than an inn, word of advice, go to three-star or below inns at your own risk. My body still ached all over from whatever happened, it was all still a blur. Just tasting a drop of the power within the earth was immeasurable and might be the reason I won.

And... saying goodbye, I made my choice but that didn't make it easy, but I know, I know I can still feel that thread between us. Yeah, that was something to still smile about, thanks Summer. Here’s hoping Taka appreciated me using a line from her favourite show. And Kazu, Asher, even Merry, I wish you guys a bright future.

"Z-Zen!" That was an assuring voice. Sitting upright I was immediately tackled back into the soft, poofy bed by a soft, cuddly girl as her hooves pushed off my chest, she almost poked herself with my chest spike again. Misty-eyed and with a new, white scar down her right cheek, seeing her warmhearted smile reminded me of my choice, and why I'm okay with the events that had unfolded. "You're okay!? Nothing out of place -- Or feeling like you might disappear!?" Her words came out in studders and she left no room for me to so much as open my mouth. "What happened to Safi'Jiiva? T-To--"

I don't think this is the solution for every issue, but I just faced down a massive Elder Dragon capable of annihilating the world to save said world, my friends and sister, and the girl I love, so by God I was gonna kiss her. No matter how many times, the tingling sensation in my spine, the way my heart raced a different kind of tempo would never get old. I savored this moment again with her, and she didn't pull away either, pushing further for a solid half a minute before air became a relative issue, parting with a heavy breath.

"I love you too, love," I chuckled. She sat back, blushing angrily but her eyes gave away her great concern, her desire to understand how I was here and not back in my human body in my questionably messy room. Guess it was time to tell. "Okay, okay, it was during that lucid dream I had with Trinity..."

"I understand, Trinity," My head remained low, hand still clutched around the jewel tightly. "Just tell me one thing?"

She sat forward with eager anticipation. "Whatever you want to know, go ahead."

"If I destroy the ruby, used it to reshape reality-" My eyes leveled with hers earnestly. "-Can I send my friends back home?" It was a vastly uncalculated gamble, and I'm not one for maths but I didn't need a number to know many variables were present. Trinity's scarf furrowed, telling me she was considering the crazy idea, her frown hadn't shifted

"It was never designed for that purpose, but it is a power unlike any you've seen," She brought a finger to tap against its surface. "Every manifestation is granted a certain amount of temporal energy, it is how they act as their counterparts, with this you could pull object through time if you focused hard enough," There was a 'but' somewhere. "But, at the cost, as I said, of the ruby itself, you might be able to send your friends back, summon forth a power if you needed it, but the maybes are hazy, the most likely outcome is that you would be separated from your homeworld, but even for me that's a guess."

Am I an idiot banking on cliches and other delusional hopes? Probably, but was it worth it, to see them safely back home? Most definitely. Tossing the ruby skyward and catching it, I made my choice more certain at this moment. "For them, it's worth the world and back."

Trinity once more, giggled while sitting back with a kind smile. "You remind me alot of another person I've met, he too would risk his own well being for those he cared dearly for -- Perhaps that also is why I trust your word when I say... choose carefully."

I gave her a serious nod, to be entrusted by a Goddess, that bared alot of weight and responsibility, "I will, it's what I discussed with them before I ran from my responsibilities."

"-In the end, I made my choice," I chuffed, "Guess I'll be a resident of Equestria a little longer now." A mixture of guilt and joy flooded us both, these 'what ifs' and 'maybes' would never fade with time, but I accept the fact that my actions cannot be undone. Ruffling her mane I held up a smile. "Don't worry, they can never get rid of me for long," Optimistically I laughed, though it may have been blinding the truth, who cares? "I'll find them again, one universe at a time if that's what it takes."

"You make light of an impossible situation," Yui answered under her breath, she too smiled warmly as I was pulled into a tighter hug. "Whatever it takes, we'll find another way." There was no need to say anymore, say for her next question. "Say, what did you do to my gemstone?" She plucked it from inside her cloak, holding out the now-familiar item to my eye

"It's a Mega Evolution keystone," I have literally no clue on how that got here but I can imagine it was a past summon must have left it here way back when. "I used the power stored in the Ruby to do two things; One, I created a Mega Stone to resonate with the keystone, our bond is what created the reaction," Leaving out the 'trainer' part for my own sanity. "Sadly it disappeared after the fight so it was a one-time thing, no more cool aura powers for this Lucario."

"And the second?" Yui asked, eager to write it all down in her notes as I tried not to laugh at her frazzled appearance mingled with the studious look on her face, it was cute no matter how hard she tried. "Come on, details."

"Chill, girl -- The second was simple, with all that temporal energy I made sure there was enough for both the stone and to send them back," I sighed, remembering that feeling of threads being cut, how their auras vanished farther than my hands could reach. "They should be home again, and Taka's got alot of explaining as to why she has a kid now." Gods can't save you from that one, Kazu, yikes

"I almost feel sorry for them, that's got to be hard to explain." Yui blushed slightly, then her ears flicked like mine to the door, finding a peculiar pony standing there with a smile. Trinity's golden veil continued to flow and without any long talks, she simply bowed her head

"I thank you, Zen, Yui," When her head rose, her body started to fade away, offering us a hoof to her heart. "I will do what I can, so please, enjoy your lives to the fullest, my friends." Without another word she was gone, leaving behind the tome she gave me when we met

"Well, that was fast." We blurted out

Now I raised my brow. My joints popped and my head was still fuzzy, yet allowing this question to go unanswered would be the biggest mistake. "Okay, important question -- Where the hell are we?"

"Canterlot, the Princess personally watched over us as we traveled back, whatever was decimated by Safi'Jiiva had most of its life-force restored, but some damage would remain," Yui reported, chuckling once. "You really did it though, you won."

"'We' won," I pulled her back in tightly, remembering how angry, how terrifying it was seeing her take that strike. "I'm glad you're okay..." I buried my face into her shoulder. "I lost control when it, when you-" Her hoof petted my head

"For you, it was worth a scar," With that, we sat there, I didn't want to move in some frightening probability that I'll blink and she'll be gone, that I'd have my old life back but without her there with me, that the dice roll of instrumental odds landed on snake eyes. "You know," Yui began, still holding onto me. "The Princesses wanted to finally chat with us once you were okay, that's been three days if we count the time it took to return from the Badlands."

My eyes remained on the tome sat by the door. "Do they now?" I hummed, flopping down into the bed with Yui in-toe.

"Na." She giggled, nuzzling my muzzle as we moved closer, my heartbeat still in my throat

It was over. The rifts were now under control, the Monsters no longer a threat, I had an uncertain road ahead of me beside Yui. This wasn't the end, more just another crossroads I had to make a choice by, from adventures to discovering a new way home that wasn't permanent. Treasures and gold, magic and action around every corner of this unknown world. I doubt things would grow quiet, which is fine by me, just maybe no more scary laser dragons.

"What happens now?" This was the definitive question, the next step was our own.

"Whatever we want." Yui hugged me tighter, a hum between her lips while my fingers played with her mane. "A hidden world of relics and treasure awaits, my Guardian."

I smiled, shutting my eyes to the rays of sunlight from the window, like the flicker of her lilac soul against my azure. I like the sound of that. "Aye-Aye, my Treasure Hunter."

"As long as I'm with you, I’d go to the ends of the earth."
"As long as I'm with you, I’d go to the ends of the earth."

π“π‘πž 𝐄𝐧𝐝

β€œI believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve. It may not be immediate, and often your greater dreams are something you will not achieve within your own lifetime. The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death.”

Author's Note:

This was originally two chapters but I combined them to keep the tension going. But sadly we are at the end of Zen's crazy journey, filled with trials, tribulations, and some fuzzy moments in between. I really hope I did well for Safi'Jiiva as I skipped the first stage since it's possible to completely skip a phase if one of the two upper layers is drained entirely, or atleast it would have been very quick. P.S. Tomorrow I'm uploading a very small chapter, consider it an epilogue or bonus set after the final chapter.

I'll be honest, I'm sad to see this come to a close, primarily because of everyone who read Indomitable, all of you were offering positive comments for this intresting crossover of three large fanbases and even liked the references I snuck in here and there, it was always fun to check for another new string of comments every day :twilightblush:

Thank you, Hunters and Trainers, alike for reading and commenting, it was fun writing this shot-in-the-dark story for all of you. For you Hunters, good luck in facing Fatalis in October together. Stay awesome, I hope you enjoyed Indomitable, and until next time, peace!