• Published 3rd Apr 2020
  • 7,106 Views, 273 Comments

Indomitable - Slendy



The long trek of a wayward Human now Lucario lost in the world of Equestria, he needs to find a way home, with a little help from a new acquaintance, issue is, can he find his way home or will he choose to stay?

  • ...
15
 273
 7,106

Chp. 22 - Tempered

I was back again inside of the vast, blank canvass, no end or beginning in sight. And I was human again, which was a welcoming sight and sensation. Sitting with my hands propping me up, I faced Trinity in her human form, an easy-going smile forever plastered on her lips. "Hello again, Trinity, how's life?"

"Hmm, as complex as any God's role among the Multiverse I suppose," She giggled, leaning closer. "They say playing favorites is unbecoming of a God but when do I play by the rules, I like you like many others I've communed with outside the realm of Gods."

That notion alone felt touching, to even remotely speak with a divine being in such an informal manner was already alot, but to actually be liked by them puts all I know of Gods to shame, Trinity was as human as anyone else. "And I feel the same way, maybe I should pray to you?"

She laughed, shaking her head. "Sweet at that is I find it strange when I'm prayed to, even now," Very well, guess it was time for the main topic still residing around my neck

"Trinity?" She sat down, legs crossed as I held out the ruby. "What exactly is the truth of this thing? I doubt it's to just house the essence of every manifestation," She lost her smile as my gaze lingered on the scarlet sheen. "I... it's shown me the way to the rifts, to Mira who was a monster pulled from another world too alongside a whole temple and... something else."

"I've seen," That lifted my gaze. "Watching your journey has offered me extensive insight into the abilities these chain of rifts possess, I am sorry you had to witness the darker side of that world's history," She kept her frown but she was anything but angry or irritated. "You and Yui have already done so much for both worlds, and the epicenter is near and growing, I can imagine the gemstone will lead you there in no time."

Trinity sat back for a moment, and with the flow of her golden scarf, the scenery changed, we sat within a long, white corridor aligned with many pillars stretching to crossroads and endless blank panels, between the glossy supports, paintings of colorful realms, some teeming with life, others barren wastelands and alternate times of many origins and works of fiction, the ceaseless chime of a clock passing by with a hum.

"Every aspect and thread of time exists among the Corridors, not many places exist within the linear timeline of the Multiverse, that's what makes alterations to worlds so moldable, and why rifts between them come and go like the sea," Trinity then reached forward, plucking a cherry-red thread from me and the ruby, another cord disappearing down two hallways. "These threads bind you, your friends and family, the ruby, and your world together."

"I see..." I said nothing more, taking it all in as carefully as I could. Trinity smiled again, though with a weight of sorrow

"If this ruby were to be destroyed, you would lose your connection to your home, to find it again among the centillion upon centillion of worlds would be nigh impossible, even with my help, I chose your world out of those with an almost minute chance of a rift within time-space occurring to reduce any lasting damage to both Equestria and your Earth by a grain of a chance," Trinity spoke simply and with a heavy dread that I to felt at times when I wondered the severity of the jewelry around my neck. "The power stored within the gemstone as of right now could reshape reality slightly if you so desired, but at the cost of the ruby's destruction."

I guess it was inevitable. Against all odds, I've gotten alot out of this 'rift-closing' business. I have awesome powers with a body unlike my human form, my closest friends are safe and happy, and now there's someone I couldn't live without. It was only right that one drawback came with all this unfair fortune. Am I afraid? Maybe a little, but that's natural, if I fail the whole of this world and Monster Hunter may suffer for it, billions across two worlds would suffer if I so much as lower an arm.

"I understand, Trinity," My head remained low, hand still clutched around the jewel tightly. "Just tell me one thing?"

She sat forward with eager anticipation. "Whatever you want to know, go ahead."


Waking up from my pleasant chat and with a new drive burning in my mind I blinked under the dark covers, the faint sign out the outside's glow brighter than it was at day, a strange phenomenon with the crystals Violet explained to me before, whatever time of day it is above ground seems to resonate with that of the crystals, magic if you're lazy and don't want the history lesson.

I couldn't exactly turn given the fuzzy and adorable Bat-Pony cuddling me like a pillow, her head resting under my arm as she slept with her mouth ajar, her mane all over the place, we were both a mess when we woke up, and this was the first proper bed in almost a week so it was well worth it. So... I'm in love with a Bat-Pony... man what a weird life I lead, I can imagine Rika cooing over how absolutely adorable it is and how much she'd probably taunt me for it. Taka would probably laugh then realize I'm serious, Asher and Kazu would be pleased, and Summer would just sigh and say 'finally' because apparently all siblings have that sixth sense, primarily sisters at times.

"You gonna keep staring at me or is this one of those, 'romantic' things?" To answer dumbly I blinked, seeing a pair of lilac eyes glow through the dark of the blankets with a sly smile. "Oh no, don't let me stop you," She waved a hoof lazily

"For someone who gets flustered easily, you sure do take to this quickly?" I remarked, nose poking against hers as she hummed

"Not my fault, you say all those silly... cheesy sentences like some cliche romantic novel..." She muttered but pressed back. "You're lucky I'm a sucker for compliments..."

She and I kissed again for a moment, each time felt like the first so that was a bonus, 'certain' thoughts kept at bay I pulled away, resting my head atop hers while Yui buried her muzzle into my neck. "Had a lovely chat with Trinity again..."

"Oh?" Her tone was curious and suggestive

"She was decent." I calmly added, she sighed

"So a boring chat then..." Like she wasn't thinking otherwise

"Moving on, she gave me some insight into the rifts, or atleast how the manifestations are appearing, there's an epicenter and its growing," I felt her lean back to eye me carefully. "I haven't had any images from the ruby, but... I feel it, we're nearing the end of this adventure, and... that scares me."

"I'm scared because it means that when it's all said and done if I can't stay here, or... or you can't come back with me; And I'll be human again without any powers, just ordinary-" Again, a pair of lips silenced me instead

"Shut up, you're talking nonsense," Words from my own mouth. Yui frowned then tapped my head with her hoof. "Cliche as this sounds, you don't need powers to be the Zen I know. You're strong, kind, reckless, and a hundred times cooler than me," Her smile warmed up. "And if we are separated, then I will still love you, because out there, I know you're still alive, and that I got to spend a fraction of my life with you, an unforgettable amount of time."

Yui shuffled over, sitting atop my abdomen while she stared down at me with a small smile, cheeks a deep red. "Try and top that, dummy," Given the fact she's sitting atop me I doubt I could with throwing her to the wall -- oh wait she meant with words. This girl... stupid, bloody body, of course, I've got all the traits that come with a body like this, fantastic

Holding my own smile, I sat forward. "No... I don't think I can," Yui then wrapped her hooves around me as she planted her lips firmly to mine, the force she applied knocked me back. We parted with a heavy, hot breath as the result led to my own cheeks tinging the same color. Ack, these strange feelings again, I can't even think straight...

With the sheets still covering us, we were alone in the dark, Yui pressed herself closer to look directly into my eyes and I couldn't look away from her soft expression. My arms locked around her waist, her mane fell down between us, as she moved her forehooves to rest at the sides of my head. Apprehension? Bliss? Desire? It was all swimming in my head, I'm certain the sane side of my brain is telling me off or to consider alternative solutions but I never did anything in my life without reason, how is this any different?

Her warm smile never left her face, but her voice trembled, "S-so... um, I think we-we're a little um, what's the word...?" Tilting my head forward to rest it against her own I sighed, myself thankful she said something

"Rash?" I earned a beaming look from her eyes

"Yeah, that," She quickly spun herself to lay beside me, both of us soon breaking into a soft chuckle. I think that given all that's transpired that was just enough, hearing her endearing laugh pushed aside my previous concerns. "Hey, n-not that I, you know, haven't thought of-"

"Ditto." She didn't need to say it, I'm a dude this stuff is somewhat out of my hands, I'm just glad I didn't have to sail the uncertainty alone. Deciding to break the tension some more I smiled devilishly as I brushed my lips to her ear. "You are rather sexy."

Yui immediately 'eeped' and tucked herself under the cover as I tried not to laugh too loudly into my paw, tears stinging my eyes at her reaction, followed strikingly quickly by her wing tickling my side, pinning me for her counterattack. "You think that's funny, you... you, dummy!" Her wing continued to pin my motions, spotting the toothy grin and crimson cheeks looming over me. "Don't mess with this one-winged hunter and expect me to go easy."

"I shall not fall to your devil trickery!" I proclaimed

Her hooves gestured toward herself, "Bring it you reference-spewing mutt."


Sometime later...

"Just down here... there!" Yui poked her wing toward the large stone walls incaging the barracks of Blackrock. Two watchtowers one before us and the other to the back right. And from just a quick scan of my aura, I could tell there were two main buildings while the grounds were filled with a combination of Night Guard and Royal Guard soldiers, either training or playing card games on some tables. "Alright, Topaz should be here,"

We approached the gate and as any trope would, two spears blocked our entry, the stern looks on the Unicorns faces solely fixed themselves to me. I wasn't in the mood to be dealing with formal invitations so I looked pleadingly to Yui, my lovely girlfriend sighed and pulled out her documentation. "I doubt this would fly but given the seal originated from the Royal Achelogical and History division it should be enough."

Both Guards nodded to the other and let Yui through, only for the spears to narrowly avoid taking my nose off. "Seriously..." Yui turned back to interject but then a gold aura overpowered the Unicorns', tossing the spears away

"Honestly, come on guys I told you to allow Yui and Zen access whenever they want, given how they solved a crisis we couldn't," Topaz didn't look so hot, her mane a mess and the dark circles under her eyes told us she was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Even so, she managed a weak smile. "Nice of you to stop by, Heroes of Blackrock."

"Sorry Captain," They immediately saluted and retrieved their spears as we followed after Topaz who was already shambling back inside

"Thanks for that, Topaz," Yui bowed her head, but the Unicorn shook her hoof out

"Don't start, you both drove me up the wall with your stunt before... but," She lightened up. "You saved dozens of lives, so all's forgiven -- Now, mind making this quick my head's still spinning from reports coming in left and right," That brought her to a halt as she spun around and poked a hoof against Yui's chest. "Speaking of, where's you brother, that idiot should have to deal with this load too!?"

I and Yui eyed each other, Yui smiled and pulled her hood down to cover her embarrassed face, and I scratched my cheek. "We don't know, too busy with... plans, yeah, for our next venture." Please buy it, please buy it, please buy it!

Topaz sighed, running a hoof through her mane. "I'll use him as target practice later... so, Zen, what exactly do you two want?" I jogged around to stop her from entering the building to our right, holding out my palms. "Hold on, what--" Too late, I already cast the pink aura over her body as she went to protest, but her mouth shut itself and her eyes blinked wide awake. "Huh... I feel oddly rejuvenated, amazing,"

"I used Heal Pulse, should keep your morale from slipping for a while," It didn't do much for fatigue but atleast she probably doesn't feel icky. "As for what we want, it's about the Yian Garuga that attacked Blackrock, and... the rifts in general."

~---~

We explained everything we knew of the rifts to Topaz.

"I think I need coffee," Topaz rubbed her temples as she pushed aside her paperwork and scrolls to allow us a complete view of the Badlands on a map, detailing specified locations and I'm assuming troop movement and patrols. "Look, if this were anypony else I'd be saying things like, 'Classified' or, 'Only the Captain and I should know', but again, you two have history locking down these rifts where we've fallen short so if there's any chance you can solve this crisis so be it."

"You're the best!" I praised as Topaz smiled. "I was told there's an epicenter to the newer rifts manifesting as monsters, but nothing has come up to point me in the right direction."

Topaz nodded with a hoof to her chin, then she flicked a scroll open to read something. "Alright... look, things in the Badlands are alot like Ponyville, rifts popping left and right, monsters unlike any Equestria has seen, but the Badlands... only one monster has been sighted and consistently."

She unfurled a scroll, tapping a hoof to the page. "No pony has seen exactly what this creature is or where it goes, but at the edges of the Badlands the forests and jungles have been razed, fires expanded the wasteland while the shores were turned red with... everything it's killed, the water contained traces of energy unlike any we've seen before... and before I came for you both, one report listed the findings of a single scale, radiating with power that could rival over a dozen powerful Unicorns when examined."

The news was unsettling, a wyvern capable of so much... ecological destruction. Putting a paw over my muzzle I was afraid to say it, "...an Elder Dragon," THe girls looked to me as I lowered my arm. "Elder Dragons are capable of changing ecosystems simply by being there, some are given the name because no one can explain them, and others... because they are as the title entails, they are powerful."

"We've never faced one..." Yui murmured, and even Topaz sat back on her chair, tapping her forehead

"This is bad, Princess Luna is currently stationed in the Badlands with the majority of our troops, so tell me something?" I eyed Topaz, her voice, and expression dark. "Be straight with me, what's the Princess' chances against this creature?"

"Comparing this to the most powerful Elder Dragon I know..." I stared back just as earnest. "She'll probably win... but no one else will." Dread, thick and heavy as it slammed against us. The Princesses were powerful so I had no doubt they'd win, but the Guards? Nothing they have can possibly damage their scales, they weren't ready for a fight against a monster they've never seen before

Clicking my fingers I patted Yui's back. "Good thing you have yourselves a capable hunter of said Elder Dragons," I shrugged. "Sure, I fought them in a game but I know almost every Elder Dragon's weaknesses, moves, and even their origins if anything I'm the only one across Equestria that can so much as stand a chance at facing one."

"You always abandon caution..." Yui sighed, shaking her head. "But that's what got us this far, and besides, the more that can stand against this monster the fewer lives we'll lose."

"It's a longshot at best, but if this Elder is connected to the rift crisis then we owe it to everyone to try," I put my paw down before Topaz. "Take us to the Badlands, let me help save your Guard and together we can win."

Topaz was unsure for a long time, eyes glancing to me then to Yui, confusion and guilt ran through her veins, but also a fire that burnt at every word. "Okay..." She lifted her head, holding a hoof out to me. "I'll forward a report to the Princess, this time tomorrow the three of us are heading for the Badlands." That was easy

"You sure this isn't a little hasty?" Yui added, smiling with her brow raised. "Think the higher-ups might have your head for this."

Topaz scoffed, throwing her hoof across the desk to toss aside her notes. "Buck that! They can starve me in a cell but I'll be happy knowing I helped prevent a dark hour in Equestria's history from being stained with blood."

"Hold on, what about Vega?" Yui inquired, but Topaz blew a raspberry

"Screw him. He can sit here and do the paperwork he was 'assigned' to," That alone brought a hearty laugh to Yui as she held her sides as I joined in, the expression of seriousness on Topaz's face was priceless!

My body trembled with excitement, the end was drawing near but there was a sense of anticipation for the final battle that just had my heartbeat race, "Love it when motivational words come out! Like a real adventure!" I shook her hoof, and stood back, holding my arms out. "Alright ladies, I've waited a long time to say these words, perhaps the most important words ever spoken across Equestria!"

"Oh no..." Yui facepalmed, hiding behind her hood

"Yui, Topaz, we're going to save the world!!" Raising my fist to the ceiling I cackled like a madman with stars dancing around my head, all while both girls groaned bitterly at my triumphant words

"Dummy..." "I second that..."


Forcing Topaz into increasing labor work wasn't what I intended but the severity of it all was troubling, thankfully there's a railroad that would take us directly to the Badlands, so no more traveling my foot, though I wondered if I could get there faster with Extreme Speed? Questions for when the world isn't in peril.

Now, I had one last issue in need of resolving. The moment we were ready to leave for the barracks I had a small chat with Violet and Caleb, about a concern that wasn't going to just let go. If... if the worst does come to pass, I'd have done Trinity proud but one family remained fragmented, and I'll be damned if I let that remain before I leave Equestria behind, this may seem as though I'm treading in places I shouldn't, but for everything Yui's done for me, this was the least I could do.

"Right, so, promise not to hurt me?" I winced at the foot of her house, seeing her tap a hoof impatiently

"The more you say that the harder it'll be not to depending on what exactly you and my parents talked about." I sighed, close enough to a 'maybe'. Pushing the door open, I let Yui walk inside before I shut the door and moved around her, seeing her inquisitive face droop to a scornful frown. "I'm going to hurt you."

"Figures," I slumped against the table against the wall separating the dining stairway and hallway. Standing before Yui was her brother, and he too wasn't looking too chummy about the ordeal, hell, he threatened me when I told him he was, and I was being blunt, 'a genuine asshole who needed to pull the scabbard out his ass', but the second I said he'd lose Yui forever his tone shifted entirely

The deathly silence was unnerving, and I needed to break it and fast. CLapping my paws together I saw them both jump.

"Okay... I'd say this is an intervention but it's not, I just wanted to say that," I deadpanned, looking between the two siblings anxiously. "Look, I've seen both sides of this feud of yours, but one thing is baffling to me, Vega?" He looked up at me. "What happened? Yui told me you always looked out for her, defended her when others bullied or ridiculed her, but that changed the moment you came back from training with the Night Guard."

I held my paw up to Yui to keep her silent, our eyes all on Vega, and hidden in the hallway next to me were their parents. I had the weight of two worlds on my shoulders, but this to me comes first, selfishness be damned. Finally, after a pregnant pause, Vega spoke, "I... remember how Dad spoke of his and Mom's time in the Guard? All the fun but proud moments serving under a banner without a leader?" Yui nodded as Vega chuckled once. "I loved those stories... it what made me aspire to become a part it myself, to experience the same feelings, to fight with pride, and with those I could grow to call my friends, that hasn't changed."

He kept his head high, but his smile wavered. "I had a small team, we'd be assigned to the Guard under the same division, and I was their nominated captain of all things... then I saw how you've grown the time I was away training," He motioned to Yui with genuine pride in his eyes. "You were stronger, stood on your own hooves, you adopted some of my headstrong quirks too, and I was so happy for you..." He dipped his head. "But you... wanted to go down another road... to follow in Grandad's hoofsteps, to leave for the world beyond Blackrock... to leave me... and that scared me."

This was new, but again, no one spoke up, and Yui's expression was unreadable as I refused to look into her soul, "I wanted you and I to stand together, make each other strong, for Mom and Dad, for Blackrock -- Heck, Equestria itself! Heh, it's childish, but I wanted to show all of the ponies that put you down that together we were indomitable."

He lowered his hoof, "But you refused... and I got worried, angry, hurt... I thought you were leaving me behind... apart of me tells me that's still the case but I refuse to believe it now, I... seeing you run away the first time was confusing... and I was feeling all the wrong things toward the little sister that I believed fulfilled my fear's desires..." He wiped a hoof across his eyes. "When you ran away yesterday... I hated myself... I hated that all this time I've been hurting you day-after-day like some delusional pony, I even lashed out at the guy that convinced you to come home, who's been by your side when I should I have done that two years ago!"

Honesty. Pure honesty spilled from his words and in his tears, Yui wasn't moving and refused to drop the bemused expression of hers, but her wing was quivering gently. "I have... no right to call you my sister... hehe, you've grown so much that it hurts..." He couldn't wipe away his tears. "...I'm... I'm so sorry... everything I've done can't be taken back, but when you leave... I'll happy for you," He held his head high with a forced smile. "Because you're amazing--"

*Thump*

Yui's hoof knocked him across the forehead, snapping him from his ramblings as I smiled gently. Her eyes regained a glow I've seen since day one, and a tiny smile of gratitude as she chuckled, tilting her head. "You have no idea how much I want to beat the stupid out of you..." She reached around with just her right hoof, pulling his head down into her shoulder. "Thin ice, that's all you get because nothing you can say right now can undo what you've put me through, and I won't ever truly forgive you... but you're still my big brother, Vega."

His face was buried into her shoulder, both hooves around her tightly as she smiled warily, patting his back. "Cool it with the waterworks, bro, my fur's gonna get all itchy..."

"Sorry," His voice was hoarse as he pulled back, wiping his eyes. "Dammit... I feel like an idiot still."

Yui raised her hoof. "Want me to punch it out?" She quipped as both siblings finally shared a laugh again, and one long overdue. Lifting the page still tucked behind me, I grabbed a small quill from the table I sat against, and while their parents came to console the two, I finished the final lines I myself struggled to put into words, my heart ached at each word I wrote, but that meant they were the right ones to say

If we're to compare this to a friendship lesson of Twilight's. I learned something more, the bond between siblings is a brittle bridge that life and its design can test and weather, sometimes that bridge can be broken or even lost. However, that does not mean the two ends are forever out of reach, and with time, if both siblings tried, reaching out to temper the bridge, make it sturdy and stand the test of time again, then there is no force on Earth that could unmake it again.

How's that for a slice of life?

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

Hope at last, but the final test of Zen's adventure draws near as the duo must say goodbye to the peaceful days in Blackrock. I hope you enjoyed, thanks for the continued support, seeya in the next chapter!

Chp. 24 - Journey's End
With supplies and Topaz in-toe, the trio embark on a long train ride to the middle of the Badlands to investigate Topaz's reports that may be connected to the root of rift surge.