• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 1,200 Views, 11 Comments

EqG Tales: Monster High Edition - Brian Sheil



A collection of short stories featuring Twilight and friends getting together with the characters of Monster High

  • ...
4
 11
 1,200

PreviousChapters Next
12. Remembering Loved Ones

Author's Note:

Skelita Calaveras arrives to help Applejack and her family remember their loves ones.

One crisp fall day in Sweet Apple Acres, the Apple family gathered outside the barn, looking at a fascinating alter.

"Pretty nice. Isn't it?" Granny Smith said.

"It sure is, Granny." Applejack replied. "I especially like that portrait of Ma and Pa on their wedding day."

"What's with this thing anyway?" Apple Bloom asked.

"This alter is something me and Grand Pear learned about while spending time in Mexico." Granny Smith answered. "A tradition called Dia de los Muertos."

Soon, Grand Pear arrives with a blue dress in his hands. "That translates into Day of the Dead."

Applejack's eyes widened. "I heard of this. In Mexico, it's a holiday tradition in which people pay tribute to those who passed on."

"Eeyup." Big Macintosh said. "They use alters like this one. In hopes the spirits of loved ones can visit."

"And, objects that reminds folks of loved ones are placed in the alter. Clothes, food, jewelry, and other things to reminds us of our loved ones."

Grand Pear hangs up the dress. "My daughter, Pear Butter, always loved wearing this dress. If only I didn't explode after her wedding to Bright Mac."

"That sure broke her heart." Apple Bloom said. "Didn't it?"

"Yup. That wedding was supposed to end the feud between the Apples and the Pears. I was just too stubborn to see that."

Granny Smith brought out a folded crimson blanket. "I used to cuddle Bright Mac with this blanket when he was a kid."

She places the blanket in a place on the alter.

"I admit," Apple Bloom stated, "this is a nice display."

Granny Smith was pleased to hear that. "Thanks, honey. That young lady, Skelita, helped us with this project."

"Skelita?"

Applejack knew who Granny is talking about. "Skelita Calaveras? If any of those Monster High students know about these kinds of traditions, it's her."

A female voice speaks up. "Thank you."

In steps a festive skeleton girl with red and black hair. She addressed the Apple kids. "Hola, Applejack. And you too, Big Macintosh and Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom was surprised to see Skelita. "Wow. She even looks like something from the Day of the Dead."

Big Mac agreed. "Eeyup."

Skelita gave Applejack a hug, seeing that the farmer girl is getting emotional. "You still miss your Mami and Papi. Don't you, Applejack?"

"We all do, Skelita." Applejack replied as she was tearing up.

"That's what this alter is for. It will help you remember your parents. I gave Granny Smith and Grand Pear the idea when I ran into them in Mexico."

Skelita and the Apple family and Grand Pear looked proudly at the alter. Later, night comes to Sweet Apple Acres. The family gathers at the alter. Skelita and Big Mac place a candle on each side of the alter, as Applejack plays a quiet tune on her guitar.

"What's with those candles, Granny?" Apple Bloom asked.

"It's another Day of the Dead tradition." Granny Smith replied. "Lighting candles are supposed to guide the souls of the Dead back to the living."

Skelita turns to the youngest Apple. "With these objects and the song Applejack is playing, no doubt Bright Mac and Pear Butter might show up."

Apple Bloom smiled as she returns to Applejack as she finished her song. A tear went down her cheek. "That was beautiful, sis."

"Thanks, Apple Bloom." Applejack said as the two sisters hugged each other. "Pa played that song for Ma when I was seven. I remember that tune well."

"Do you think Ma and Pa might be with us?"

Applejack suddenly saw ghostly images of her parents as Bright Mac tipped his hat to her and Pear Butter blew a kiss. Applejack shed tears of joy. "I reckon so."

PreviousChapters Next