• Published 10th Oct 2019
  • 7,832 Views, 578 Comments

The Legend of Zelda: Wielders of Harmony - My Little Epona



Link wakes up in Equestria as a pony. He's lost the Master Sword, the Ocarina of Time, and Navi is nowhere to be seen. On the bright side....now Epona can talk.

  • ...
24
 578
 7,832

The Princess and the Map

Author's Note:

This will be a shorter chapter, FYI. The next one may take me some time to write, as it's a lot longer and it involves some action. I will do my best though!
I'm glad everyone's enjoying this story!

“Rise.” Princess Celestia said, nodding. She seemed almost surprised to be addressed so formally. “It is excellent to be meeting you, after hearing much about you from my student.” She nodded at Twilight. “What is it you would you need my help with? I am surprised…..I have heard that you have astounding magical artifacts of your own.”

Link glanced at Twilight, confused as to what the princess was talking about, and she mouthed “the map”.

“Oh!” Link said, surprised. “I was not aware the map I carry was considered ‘astounding magic’…. where I am from, it is quite common for travelers to carry one.”

“Interesting.” The princess said. “Is there any chance…could I see it?”

Link nodded, flipping open his saddlebag again and pulling out the map. A rippling, sparkling golden aura appeared on Princess Celestia’s horn, like the one Link had seen on Twilight’s when she’d tried to look at it. The same aura surrounded the map, lifting it into the air.

“Fascinating.” Princess Celestia said, raising her eyebrows interest.

“Please be careful, princess.” Twilight begged. “That thing did not enjoy me trying to examine it.”

“Don’t worry, my faithful student.” Princess Celestia gave her a reassuring smile. “I have satisfied my curiosity.” The map floated back down to Link, who took it again.

“I have a feeling you aren’t from around here, are you?” She asked.

“I guess, well….I guess you could say that.” Link chuckled awkwardly.

“So, now, my little pony, we come to the manner of your plea. What have you come here to ask me for?” The princess asked.

“I have a very close friend of mine who’s lost in the nearby forest.” Link said. “I need to find her. She’s scared and alone….she needs my help, but I’m not sure exactly where she is.”

“Oh! Well, that is a simple matter to fix.” Princess Celestia said. “You can use a tracking spell to find her. My faithful student, Twilight Sparkle, can help you with that.”

“Er, yes...I could.” Twilight said. “I mean, I can!I know a few basic tracking spells. But you’ll need to have some sort of item that your friend had a close personal attachment too.”

Epona nudged Link, who jumped slightly. He hadn’t even realized she was standing behind him.

“The ocarina?” She whispered.

“Oh...I think I have something.” Link dug through his saddlebag.

He pulled out another ocarina, almost a mirror to the Ocarina of Time, except this one was made of wood, crudely carved…...made by the hands of a child.

“It used to belong to my friend.” He explained. “What do you think…?”

“That should work!” Twilight said.

“Could I ask you one more question?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Anything, your majesty.” Link responded, giving another respectful nod.

“The sun….it was pulled beneath the horizon earlier.” The princess said thoughtfully. “Was that caused by something of yours?”

“Yes, in a way.” Link nodded. “But it wasn’t so much the sun being pulled down….as time itself being altered.”

“Most interesting.” Celestia said, nodding, a contemplative frown on her face.

Link nodded.

“So…..Princess Celestia, could you excuse us to try the spell?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, certainly.” The princess smiled. “Be careful, Twilight. We don’t want the magic to explode in your face again, do we?”

“Oh no.” Twilight gave a nervous laugh. “I will be very careful from now on. Follow me, Link.”

Link gave one last bow to Celestia, then followed Twilight out of the hall, Epona trailing them.

Twilight lead him to a large, round room. In the center was placed a table surrounded by chairs...well, Link couldn’t decide if they were large stone chairs or thrones. Superimposed on the table itself was a shimmering, translucent map of what Link supposed was Equestria.

“Could I have the ocarina?” Twilight asked. Link hesitated for a second before handing it over to her.

Twilight floated it in her magic, setting it down on the table.

All of the sudden, Link felt the strangest sensation in his inventory. The saddlebag was jerking and twitching at his side, vibrating weirdly.

Link frowned, craning his neck over to flip it open.

Almost immediately, he was slapped in the face by a roll of paper. He reeled back, blinking confusedly, and saw his map soar through the air. It began hovering above the table, revolving slowly in place.

“What the...” Twilight said, alarmed.

There was a brilliant flash of white light, and the map clattered harmlessly back down onto the table.

“What was that?” Twilight raised an eyebrow, grabbing it in her magic. “Wait a second….”

“What is it?” Link trotted over, rubbing his face. He gasped.

His map, instead of being a smeary, unintelligible mess, was now a perfect rendition of the same map on the table.

“I’ve never seen anything like this!” Twilight cried, thrusting the map into Link’s shocked hooves. “Why does your magic follow none of our rules? Why did it suddenly work when it touched the map? Why did it react so crazily to my magic? Why does none of this stuff make sense???

“I….” Link said, at a loss for words.

"Please." Epona cut in. "The spell?"

“Oh right.... the spell." Twilight sighed. "Oh! We could use your map for the spell now. Why didn’t I think of that earlier?” She let out a surprised giggle. “It would certainly be a lot easier.”

There was a magenta flash from her horn, and the ethereal sculpture on the table disappeared. She set Link’s map down, spreading it out and securing the rolling-up ends with small weights.

“Do you….think that’s a good idea?” Link said hesitantly. He didn’t want to question the word of a princess, but….. “You know, considering the last time you used your magic on this….”

“Well, only one way to find out!” Twilight said gaily. Link gave a nervous swallow, watching Twilight as she placed Saria’s ocarina on the map.

A stream of color issued from Twilight’s horn, but instead of it exploding like Link thought it would, the ocarina lit up in a flash of light. A thick black line appeared on the map, cutting a sharp streak across the paper, from what Link supposed was Ponyville to the middle of a forest.

“Oh, I’m pretty sure I know where you’re headed now.” Twilight said nervously. “Please be careful….those ruins aren’t dangerous within themselves, but the path certainly is.”

“Okay, then. Thanks for your help.” Link said, gathering up his map. “Now that I know where I’m going, I—” He stopped abruptly.

Standing in the doorway were Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, and Vinyl, staring at him.

“Are you planning on following me everywhere?” Link sighed. The four didn’t say a thing, simply standing, eyes wide.

Link squirmed, a little uncomfortable with the scrutiny.

“Are you going or not?” Epona said, nudging him. Link nodded, trotting forwards and trying to avoid looking at the others.

Still, they said nothing….just stared at him with an unblinking gaze. Well, except for Vinyl. She was still wearing her glasses.

Link paused as he passed them, waving a hoof energetically in front of Octavia’s face. When he got no reaction, he began to get worried.

“Look….are you okay?” He asked.

“We’re going with you.” Was Lyra’s way of answer.

Link groaned, slamming a hoof into his forehead.

“For the last time, you can’t come!” He said.

“And why not?” Octavia said.

“Listen.” Link said, desperate to make them understand. “I, for sure, am going to get into a fight of some kind out there….and I can’t focus on that if I know there are five others I need to protect.”

“Five?” Epona interrupted. “Are you counting me?”

“Well...yeah.” Link said, surprised. “I thought you were coming with me.”
“Of course I’m going.” Epona rolled her eyes. “But you don’t need to protect me. I can fight.”

“Really?” Link raised both of his eyebrows. “I had no idea.”

“Well, what did you think I did every time you had to leave me in Hyrule Field?”

Link opened his mouth to respond, then hesitated.

“You have a good point.” He admitted.

“Exactly.” Epona said, grinning.

“Okay, you’re fine, but that still leaves four others I’d need to protect.” Link pointed out.

“You know….I might surprise you.” Bon Bon said, a small smile on her face.

“Ooh! Ooh!” Vinyl jumped up and down, looking surprisingly like Pinkie Pie. “Can I bring my bass cannon?”

“Your...what?” Link said, alarmed.

“Bon Bon’s taught me some stuff.” Lyra said, grinning. “Plus, I’ve got magic!”

They all looked at Octavia.

“A lady never gets into fights.” She sniffed.

“Okay.” Link sighed. “You three...well, you have me convinced. That and I just don’t have the energy to argue with you anymore. But she can stay.” He pointed at Octavia.

“Naaah.” Vinyl protested. “I can cover for my sis!” She draped a hoof over Octavia’s shoulders.

Half sister.” Octavia corrected sniffily, stepping away.

“So?” Epona said, nudging Link. “Ready?”

“I guess.” Link sighed.

“Stay safe, you guys!” Twilight called from behind them.

“We’ll do our best!” Epona said.

“But...we make no promises.” Link added with a sigh.