• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 2,635 Views, 46 Comments

Big Spoon - garatheauthor



There are few constants in nature as universal as the fact that the big spoon will always be big, and the small spoon, small. However, what happens when your tiny unicorn marefriend becomes a princess and is suddenly four heads taller than you?

  • ...
13
 46
 2,635

Chapter 1

“I’m not tiny,” Twilight protested. “I’m statistically average for a unicorn.”

Applejack chuckled, lightly slapping a heavy hoof against Twilight’s barrel. “And unicorns just happen to be naturally small.”

“Maybe earth ponies are just too big.” Twilight pouted. “Did you ever think that might be a possibility?”

“Impossible. You need to be big if you wanna do the work we do.”

“Yeah well…” Twilight wheeled around and faced Applejack, scrunching her face with adorable efficiency as she glared at the towering hulk of a mare, “maybe I don’t like you pointing out how small I am?”

Applejack dipped forward, lowering herself just enough that she could plant a tender little kiss on the top of Twilight’s snout. This instantly brightened the unicorn’s lavender fur a couple embarrassed shades of red.

“Is that so?” she asked, smirking gently. “Because wasn’t it a certain mare who said she enjoyed feeling nice and small in my hooves?”

Twilight’s face continued to brighten. “That was a moment of weakness and you know it!”

“Well considering I big spoon every single night, you sure do suffer from quite a crisis of consciousness, it seems.”

“It’s not my fault,” Twilight whined, covering her face with a foreleg. “You’re just a big, old, and mean butch, bullying my poor femme resolve.”

Applejack leaned over and kissed her again, this time upon the cheek. “It’s what I do best, sugarcube. If you’d like, I might think about letting you big spoon every once and while, if you think that’d help. That is, if you think you’re up for the task.”

“I can handle it!”

“We’ll see,” Applejack said, letting out a low chuckle. “So, tell me, how have you been feeling lately?”

Twilight bit her lip and drew away from Applejack, continuing in her walk towards the Golden Oak Library.

Like a bundle of nerves and poorly concealed neuroticism that is moments away from fraying.

“Nervous,” she said.

“Nervous?”

“I got this feeling that…” Twilight sighed, failing to finish her sentence.

“That?”

“I feel like something big is coming up,” Twilight said, letting out a pent-up breath. “Like, it’s nothing concrete, but Celestia sent me a letter saying she wanted to have a conference with me about something. Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing her but usually when she wants to have a conference, you know something’s about to go down.”

Applejack nodded. “Do you want somepony to keep you company when you head up there?”

“No.” Twilight shook her head. “I couldn’t ask you to be away from your farm for that long. Especially not this close to the harvest.”

“While I do appreciate you being a mite concerned about my affairs, do try and remember that we’re marefriends and that I also have a commitment to you.”

“I know…” Twilight sighed, looking at the ground, “but seriously, I’ll be fine, I swear. I’ll have Spike with me and that should be more than enough moral support.”

“You sure?” Applejack asked, cocking a brow.

Twilight nodded.

“Absolutely certain?”

Another nod.

“One hundred and fifty percent?”

“Yes!” Twilight yelped, interrupting Applejack. “Yes, I am absolutely, without a doubt, certain that I can handle this on my own.”

Applejack nodded contently. “Well alright. Though, if you do need help, don’t be afraid to ask, you understand?”

Slowly but surely, their path led them into town, as farmland gave way to the fringes of the sparse settlement. As the two mares walked, they greeted neighbours who happily waved back. It was impossible to be a stranger in a town like this.

Especially, when Pinkie Pie was in charge of the welcoming committee.

Twilight smiled as memories of her first encounter with Ponyville flashed back to her. Strange to think how far she’d come in only a few meagre years.

“How have you been holding up?” Applejack asked. “You seemed a tiny bit stressed the last time we hung out.”

Twilight shrugged. “No more anxious than usual.”

“No offense, hun, but your baseline anxiety levels are a little on the high side.”

“Fair…”

“Have you been taking time for yourself?”

“Of course,” Twilight said, the grin of a terrible liar etched on her lips. “A few hours every night.”

Applejack cocked a brow. Apparently, she wasn’t buying it.

“Look!” Twilight exclaimed, gesturing with her hoof. “I swear, as soon as I get back from my trip to Canterlot, I’ll take a much-needed vacation.” She grinned. “I’ll give myself a whole day off. How does that sound?”

Applejack’s brow went higher.

“Two days?”

Even higher.

“A weekend?!”

How the hell did Applejack even manage to get her brow that high. It was probably her stupid earth pony size, giving her way more space to cock those evil accusatory brows.

“Fine, fine, I’ll take a whole week off.” Twilight pouted. “Happy?”

Applejack studied her for a moment before cracking a smile. “Very.”

“No fair,” Twilight grumbled. “You used your evil butch powers on me?”

“Oh no…” Applejack muttered, rolling her eyes, “I topped you into self care. How terrible of a thing for me to do. You should probably just break up with me already.”

Twilight stuck out her tongue. “Maybe I will.”

“Though I do wonder who you’ll replace me with? Not many ponies are as proficient with a rope as me.”

Twilight’s expression blanked. “I have regrets.”

“Oh no, no, no,” Applejack teased. “You made a very strong argument.”

“This break up wasn’t done in writing,” Twilight whined. “It’s not legally binding.”

Applejack chuckled. “Verbal contracts are a very important part of the earth pony oral tradition. You should know that, Twilight.”

“My biggest mistake was educating you,” Twilight groaned.

Applejack smirked, placing her hoof on Twilight’s back. “I’m just teasing, sugarcube.”

“I know, I know.”

Twilight looked up, just in time for them to enter the Ponyville marketplace. The open-air plaza was filled with various stalls. Some sold crafts, other fabrics, a few knick-knacks, but the vast majority were taken up by farmers who were selling all manner of agricultural surplus.

“Do you want to make a meal tonight?” Twilight asked. “Or would you rather pick something up?”

“Well me, Granny, and Applebloom baked about a hundred pies last night, so I wouldn’t be too opposed to taking it easy. What did you have in mind?”

“Uhhh…” Twilight looked at the various stalls before grinning sheepishly at Applejack. “Can I play the bottom card and make you choose?”

Applejack smirked. “Sure, but I’ll just counter that with the top card and order you to pick.” She chuckled. “I believe that’s what you’d call a checkmate, sugarcube.”

Twilight snorted and pursed her lips. “Well, salads would be a nice healthy choice and I know Spinach Dip makes a pretty good one with beets and quinoa.”

“Eh, not exactly comfort food.”

“Well…” Twilight bit her lip. “We could get some vegetable pies from Spring Blossom. Oh, oh, oh!” Twilight’s eyes beamed. “She has this new one that’s super tasty. I think she puts a little curry in there or something.”

“I’m not exactly one to try spices but I wouldn’t mind getting a good, old-fashioned shepherd’s pie from her. We could pop them into the oven and snuggle for a bit while they cook.”

Twilight nodded. “Then it sounds like a date.”

Together the two of them walked up to the vendor.

Spring Blossom was a forest green pegasus with a muted navy-blue mane. Like everyone else in town, she knew Applejack and Twilight well enough.

“Applejack, Twilight.” She grinned. “How are my two favourite ponies doing?”

Twilight instinctively leaned against Applejack, brushing her foreleg against hers.

“Pretty good,” she said. “Gotta go up to Canterlot in a couple of days.”

Spring whistled softly. “Been ages since I’ve taken the train up there. Is it for a vacation?”

“She’s been summoned by the princess,” Applejack explained, gently brushing her hoof against Twilight’s in response.

“Ah, so business and not pleasure then,” Spring said, shrugging her shoulders. “Anyways, what can I get you two?”

Twilight used her magic to pull out a bag of bits from Applejack’s saddlebag. “Can we get two pies, please. One shepherd’s and one of those new ones you’ve been making lately? You know, the spicy ones.”

Spring nodded and saluted with a wing. “One shepherd’s and one curry and yam, you got it.” She gestured to her cash register. “That’ll be fifteen bits, please.”

Twilight opened the satchel and pulled out the appropriate amount, and a moment later, Applejack and her were walking away with two fresh pies.

“When did you get so adventurous with food?” Applejack asked. “You always struck me as a veggies and potatoes kind of gal.”

Twilight shrugged. “Dating you kind of made me realize there’s a lot of gain from leaving my comfort zone every once in a while.”

“Is that so?”

“Yep.” Twilight nodded. “Like, don’t get me wrong, change is a slow process but I want to try new things, Applejack.” She leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “And I, for sure, want to try them with you.”

Applejack’s faced warmed and Twilight revelled in how easily the tables could be turned.

“Well, shucks,” Applejack mumbled. “I’m glad you feel that way. I’ll admit I, uh… I have not felt that same resolve. Though…” She smiled, “I’ll gladly follow you wherever you go, hun.”

Their conversation came to a temporary pause as they finally crossed the plaza, stopping at the base of a very familiar tree.

Twilight banged her hoof against the door before turning the knob with her magic.

“Spike we’re home,” she announced as they stepped inside.

The library was exactly the same as she left it: orderly, clean, and peaceful. A perfect blend between home and workplace, with professional apparel such as notebooks, quills, unfinished library cards, and late slips, mingling nicely with many other things. Things that made a home a home—like photographs, comfortable furniture, and trinkets and baubles acquired from a dozen adventures.

As they entered, Twilight noticed Spike lounging at a desk, his head drooped against his chest as he snored softly. She rolled her eyes, figuring it must’ve been a very slow day on the job. She levitated him out of his chair with great care and placed him in a little basket that was tucked away under the stairs.

She then glanced over her shoulder and locked the library’s door, flipping over the open sign. It wasn’t often that she allowed herself to close early, but this felt like a pretty special occasion. Though, didn’t every evening she got to share with Applejack feel like that?

“Want me to pop the pies in the oven?” Applejack asked, her mane tickling the nape of Twilight’s neck as she leaned in and delivered a kiss right to it.

Twilight gasped softly, shivering under the care of Applejack’s lips.

“That… that would be nice,” she said, cooing tenderly. “I’ll get a fire started.”

Applejack nodded and drew away, her mane grazing Twilight’s fur as she retreated.

Twilight felt a temporary pang but held her tongue. After all, what were a few moments of separation when they had a whole evening to themselves to look forward to.

Still, she made sure to subtly watch Applejack leave from the corner of her eye, glancing at her strong earth pony hindquarters swing back and forth with every step.

Once Applejack had left the room, Twilight walked over to the fireplace. As it was still pretty early in the evening, she made sure to draw the blinds. While they weren’t perfect, they still did a fine enough job at blocking out the sun, dimming the interior considerably.

This was the downside of dating a farmer. They existed in a time zone that was constantly at least three hours ahead of your own. What was your late afternoon, was their evening. And what was their bedtime, would be considered incredibly early by Twilight’s night owl standards.

Twilight focused on the firepit, arranging the half-scorched logs within it. She made sure to add a little kindling for good measure, and a few additional fresh logs just for assurance that the flames would not die down in the middle of their time together.

Then, with a quick flick of her horn, she shot a few unwavering sparks into the pit. For a second, there was nothing, then a little smoke began to billow up the chimney, followed by a bit more, and a bit more, until noticeable flames emerged, leaping across the logs.

“Cheater,” Applejack drawled from behind.

Twilight turned and pouted. “I got the flames started on my own, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, but you used magic to do it.”

“That isn’t cheating. That’s simply using my natural abilities to their best advantage.”

Applejack smirked and stepped closer, making sure to take full advantage of her own natural edge: height.

“And what would you do if you were stuck in the wilderness with no magic?” she asked, cocking a brow as she looked down at Twilight.

Twilight snorted. “In all honesty, probably die.”

A moment after Applejack’s arrival, a pleasant smell wafted out of the kitchen behind her. It was a nice mixture of spices and more down to earth smells, mingling together in an utterly delicious union.

“Smells good,” Twilight commented.

Applejack nodded. “That, it does.”

“Did you…”

“The oven is set for 400, yes.”

“And the…”

“Timer is ready for forty minutes.” Applejack chuckled. “Believe it or not Twilight, this isn’t my first rodeo when it comes to baking.”

Twilight smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, nervous habit.”

“I know,” Applejack said, leaning over and kissing her on the cheek.

Applejack followed her kiss with a hoof under Twilight’s muzzle, drawing her in for a second. This one was upon the lips, both of them pressing against one another passionately.

Was Applejack going to…

And there was the tongue.

Twilight moaned softly into the kiss. A tiny muffled noise got caught up between her and Applejack’s conjoined lips. Their two tongues rolled around one another, dancing playfully in a crude little tango.

For all her bluster, Applejack was actually quite reserved, allowing Twilight to lead their little moment of intimacy. She enjoyed this change in dynamic, taking full advantage of it, rolling and probing and prodding to her heart’s content.

As their tongues intermingled, they drew closer, their bodies pressing tightly together. Applejack’s hoof brushed against Twilight’s, the two of them taking turns to paw at each others forelegs, stroking one anothers fur.

Twilight found Applejack’s fur to be rather coarse, tangled together in rough knots. Little specks of debris clung to it, the product of a day spent labouring in the fields.

After what felt like a good minute, they broke apart.

Applejack smiled at Twilight, her eyes half-lidded. “I love kissing you, sugarcube.”

Twilight grinned sheepishly. “I love kissing you too, Applejack.”

“So…” Applejack tilted her muzzle towards the firepit, “do you want to cuddle?”

“You know, I think I might just like that.” Twilight pulled out a thin blanket. “I might just like that... a whole lot.”

Twilight laid the blanket out upon the floor and rested atop it, laying on her side. She glanced over at the darkened shelves of her library and corked an enticing eyebrow at her marefriend.

A moment later, Applejack settled behind her, laying in a very similar manner. One of her strong forelegs pawed playfully at Twilight’s back, gently stroking her fur. The other was draped across her midsection, pulling Twilight nice and close.

Applejack was so warm and soft and strong. Her breathing came out in peaceful little bursts, brushing warmly against Twilight’s cheek with each exhale.

Twilight shuffled gently against her, placing her own hoof against the foreleg draped across her, stroking it with the same level of care that Applejack showed.

“So,” Twilight began.

“So,” Applejack repeated.

“How’s life?”

Applejack chuckled. “You know, at this moment, I’d have to say it’s pretty good. How about yours?”

Twilight nodded, smiling softly. “I’d have to agree.”

Author's Note:

Hope you're enjoying this fic, the next few chapters will be releasing about once a day.

Also sorry this is a little late, I did not expect it to spiral into 10k words.

Discord/Ko-Fi/Patreon/Twitter